Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Innis & Gunn Winter Beer 2010 | Innis & Gunn

Style: Scottish Ale

Added by StephenRich on 10-05-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.62/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from LCBO giftpack. Pours coppery coloured body with some creamy head. Woody and rum aroma. Middling mouthfeel, smooth and caramel, and also above average carbonation. Sweetish taste, drinkable but not too drinkable because of the abundant sweetness.

3.59/5  rDev -2.4%

A - Pours a dark copper with a half finger of tan head and no visible carbonation. Bright.

S - Lot's of toffee and caramel sweetness with some buttery notes.

T - Toffee and caramel sweetness come through again with some slight oak notes. Nice. Mild, but nice.

M - Full bodied with some carbonation that seems appropriately mild.

D - Sweetness might hold this back. It's not cloying but I wish other flavours could have comet to the forefront. Otherwise a decent tipple.

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%

Innis & Gunn's original beer was one of my first favourite beers when I started to branch off from the bland world of the big beer companies. So, I sometimes feel that I have to make sure I am not biased when I talk about their stuff. This winter beer, never available before, is the third beer of my Innis & Gunn holiday pack. I have read some pretty good reviews of this beer, so my hopes are pretty high.

Well, to start, it has a bit more head than other I&G beers, at least at first. It's darker than their original beer, with more of a deep red quality to it... kind of a deep honey / amber colour. There's no traces of head left on the glass as you drink.

It smells like an I&G product... vanilla, sweet butterscotch/caramel, slight hint of wood... a bit of pastry (like the cup of a raisin tart)?

The taste has just a bit of a metallic quality to it. I really don't taste much difference between this and a regular Innis & Gunn. The stronger alcohol content of this comes out only slightly as the glass wears on. A bit of fruit in the flavour comes out as it warms up as well (cranberry?).

The feel is a bit disappointing. It's watery. I was expecting something more full and robust.

Overall, I was underwhelmed, if that's a word (actually, I know it's not, 'cause Chris Murphy looked it up... it's one of those skills he learned in his school). It's a good beer, but... not significantly different enough from their original beer to make it special. I like the fact that there are common I&G threads in all their beers, but, at the same time... those common threads are making starting, to me, make them feel "common".

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Pours a deep clear amber with a two finger foamy white head. Settles to a nice cap. Leaves nice lacing all the way down.

S: A very sweet malt with hints of vanilla and caramel. I also detect some dark fruits.

T: It's very sweet. Initially I taste vanilla but then more caramel and it seems to blend into a butterscotch taste. I also get hints of fruit and a very faint taste of spices. Slight warming from the alcohol but I hardly taste it. It has a very sweet taste that lingers long after you swallow.

M: It's medium bodied with lighter carbonation. Feels creamy and goes down quite easily.

D: So far this is probably my favorite beer from Innis & Gunn. I wish I could get this one in singles and not just from the gift pack. It's quite drinkable. I could see the sweetness becoming too much after a few but overall it's quite good.

3.18/5  rDev -13.6%

From a 330 ml clear bottle, came as part of a gift pack along with the regular I&G, Rum Cask and a stemware glass.

Pours out a deep clear amber hue, tall creamy off-white head pocketed with large bubbles that settles to a thin creamy cap.

Aroma carries notes of toffee, wood and alcohol from the barrels, alcoholic warmth can be felt in the nostrils as well.

Dry toffee malt up front in the flavour that tends to sweeten up towards the middle, while herbal and spicy hops round out the finish. Almost a cloying sweetness tends to linger on in the aftertaste.

Medium-light mouthfeel, light carbonation with some creamy smooth moments, but fairly light all around.

A bit bold but not balanced, sweetness dominates while the hops seem more out of place than anything else. It's okay but far from the best offering from Innis and Gunn, not something I'm inclined to go back and have more of.

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

Got this in a gift pack with a branded glass.

a-deep amber colour with a significant head.

s-sweet, sweet smell, spicy smokiness from the cask.

t-very sweet, heavy malts, vanilla flavours followed by a smokey warmth.

m-heavy and thick like one would expect.

d-sipper...I couldn't drink this all night...it would get overpowering. But I don't think it's meant to.

3.27/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Purchased as part of an Innis & Gunn gift pack from the Control Board in Ontario. Poured into a branded glass that came with the pack. The beer pours a copper-amber colour with thin white head that dissipates pretty quickly without much lacing. Smells of butterscotch, vanilla and caramel - very malty. Incredibly sweet taste, brown sugar comes through a lot. Nice carbonation level. Too sweet to drink more than one of these, even the one I have I'm a bit tired of before finishing.

I opened the Winter Beer at cellar temperature around 12C (54F) and poured it into an Innis & Gunn stemmed beer glass. The pour was smooth and seamless building a rich amber red beer and a rumbling of khaki foam. A pillowy, and largely airy head was build about 2 inches over the beer with carbonation quickly snapping away the bubbles in an excited and abrupt manner. The beer below was richly colored with a maroon and brown center glowing out to copper, reddish golds, and cinnamon browns. It was deep, but not as dark at the Rum Cask, and not nearly as dark as the Triple Matured.

The nose was large and fruity, much more so than any Innis & Gunn. The classic Innis scents of caramel and vanilla come through easily bringing rich butterscotch, and the warming sensation of browned butter. Rich dark fruits are apparent with black berries and strawberries being muddled together and the nose of a banana a few days past ripe.

Here was the moment of truth - already this beer brought big rich Innis flavors with a heartier punch. I didn't get the spice on the nose that I wanted, but I got loads of aromatic character. I lifted the glass to my lips and poured it down. A creamy and silky wave of caramel and toffee glides over my palate with a very familiar sensation. And old friend approaching me with arms open wide - but then, rather than a hug, I get a kiss on the lips!

The Winter Beer instantly moves from brown sugar and caramel into fruit flavors of berries and jam. Big malt sweetness bring a wide range of tastes here and a powerful wave of toffee and vanilla; more so that usual. Buttery sweet malts again prove prominent in the flavor is it was on the nose - its follows mashed mellow fruits and hints of touches of spice. I would love more spice, and it may come out as this beer matures in the bottle (from experience, I have found taht the bigger Innis & Gunns are best after 4 to 6 months in the bottle to rest).

The finish is sweet and gently refreshing, but overall is very satisfying. This is a sweet, warming, and malty beer that still shows the classic oak and char flavors of the bourbon wood that made me fall in love with the Innis in the first place. A larger malt sensation, rounder fruit flavors, and a new buttery warmth leaves me wanting more of this Winter Beer, and I am excited to see how it tastes in January - I expect it will warm me quite well on a snowy winter's eve.

Pics at: http://wp.me/pNKWo-1h1