Irish Whiskey Aged Scottish Stout | Innis & Gunn

1.25/5  rDev -67.2%

1.5/5  rDev -60.6%

2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

2.45/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

A little lighter than I'd like, appearing brown-copper color. Forms a darker body with a light colored head.

Smells like peated dog turds, oak chips, chocolate, and caramel.

Flavor is not much better, in fact much of the same. Coffee grounds at the end.

Feel is thin for a stout.

No whiskey, I can't believe this was barrel aged. Pretty terrible.

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.52/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.58/5  rDev -32.3%

This looks like cola while being poured, but it comes together to make a nearly black glass of beer. The head is about half of an inch with some decent retention...enough to get some foam on my nose while grabbing my first whiff. That first whiff was pretty vinous with some roast and a load of caramel. The vanillins did their job in the cask.

I'm not fond of how the whiskey flavors and the stout married. The stout comes off as buttery and I don't believe it's from diacetyl. The whiskey is very evident but at odds with the beer. The fizziness of this thin stout leaves behind an okay mess on the tongue which is the remnants of the whiskey.

If you were hoping for an Irish Car Bomb, forget it. And although this sounds like a marriage made in heaven, it's not. In fact, there should be a divorce.

2.65/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not much here, its ok - but not much

2.79/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.92/5  rDev -23.4%

330 ml bottle
Served into a snifter

A: Dark brown and mahogany body, not quite looking black at any point on the pour or once settled. Small off-white, almost tan, head forms but quickly dissipates. No real lacing or retention either.

S: Chocolate malt, classic I&G style astringent "oak" aroma, semi-sweet...something. Perhaps vanilla, and maybe even a buttery or butterscotch note.

T: Oak is immediate, it's the same flavor you get with almost all the I&G oak-aged beers. A bit of sweetness, vanilla, black patent malt and some caramel undertones.

M: On the thinner side of a medium body, not full and robust. Slick and oily on the palate not every really coating, just sort of there.

I'm glad I picked this up to try, I really enjoy the Rum cask and original Oak aged varieties and while this one wasn't bad, it was certainly my least favorite so far.

2.97/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

BBE Dec 14

Appearance: Dark, almost no light coming through. Thick-ish, tan head.

Aroma: Irish whiskey, booze, dried mint skunk, cocoa, treacle(molasses), some dark chocolate, faint oak. Upfront skunk though, maybe due to the clear glass bottle.

Taste: Not as good as the aroma. Tastes ok, malt and booze.

Mouthfeel: lighter bodied than you would expect with tons of carbonation.

Overall: I bet this is outstanding on draft, would be a great St. Patty's Day brew. I just don't under stand the clear bottle on this one. Not a bad beer at all, just think it could be more.

2.98/5  rDev -21.8%

I heard pretty good things about this I&G stout so I was looking forward to tasting.

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Very dark with a half finger of light brown head. Looks like a stout should.

Smell is nondescript. Bottle says aged in Irish Whiskey casks but I definitely don't smell it.

I do taste the Whiskey cask and it's not too pleasing. Way too much alcohol in the taste for a stout. I pretty much only taste the alcohol. Very flat in the mouth.

Overall I am not impressed. Don't think I'll be purchasing this one again.

Irish Whiskey Aged Scottish Stout from Innis & Gunn