Innis & Gunn Irish Whiskey Aged Stout | Innis & Gunn

Style: English Stout

Added by TMoney2591 on 01-20-2012

Reviews: 159 | Ratings: 624
4.32/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I love Innis and Gunn. It was the first beer I really liked and got me into good beer in the first place so I might be a little biased. The color is a very dark hazel with a coffee colored head that has some legs. The smell is toasty but you can smell a little of the wood too. The taste is great, everything I've come to love from Innis and Gunn. Smooth, rich, and just a fantastically crisp finish. Coats your mouth but doesn't leave a lingering aftertaste. Absolutely loved it and would definitely recommend.

3.64/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This pours completely black with a chocolate colored head of foam that fell quickly but left lace to look at. Nose is the light sweet whiskey. Floral and with a bit of oak. Cut grass and vanilla cream. Very inviting. A dusting of cocoa. Taste follows the nose. The malt is roasty and smooth. Has a very creamy mouthfeel but very thin and soft carbonation. The whiskey flavor is light and sweet while the cocoa deepens it. The vanilla lingers in the aftertaste just a bit as the alcohol warms. There is a subtle peat that leaves with a touch of smoke.

This one is easy to drink and terribly pleasant. Has long finish just like irish whiskey and hints at honey. The clear bottle did not do it any harm as far as I can tell but it is a seasonal so I bought it pretty early after it hit the shelf.

4.19/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Dark, like a stout should be. I could care less about appearance, so unless it's really beautiful or really ugly, it will get the average of the other ratings. Who drinks a beer for appearance anyway?

S - Malty, some sweetness, not a strong smell. I can taste this a lot more than I can smell it.

T - Malty, a little bit of sweetness, I think I can taste the oak too, which gives it a little bit of a scotch flavor.

M - Malty and sweet, very solid and substantial as a stout should be, pretty light and smooth for 7.4%.

O - I'm an IPA guy, but this is an incredible stout. I might prefer it to be a little drier, but it is much easier to have a sub-5% beer be dry than a 7.4% beer. I would definitely choose this over Guiness though as it it everything a stout should be and has some great oak notes as well.

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

right . . . not much head at all... super dark/black, foamy remnants on top. smells very nice, though. I remember not liking the other innis & guns I tried. one was WAY TOO barrel-ly and nauseating, but this one smells very nice. I wonder if it's because it's a stout first? i'll have to check my other reviews... yeah they were scotch ales.... let's see how this one turns out . . . . but the smell is very malty and stout-like and I can breathe this stuff in for awhile...
taste is much MUCH better than I remember the others I tried tasting like. this is good! very stout-like. a little bit of chalkiness, some bitter chocolate, some bourbon/whiskey in the back, a little vanilla, and NOT thick and syrup-y like so many other stouts. barrel-aged or not.... a little too sweet for my preference, but I can see this being their flagship brew. wonder why it took so long for Total Wine to get this one??? maybe it's a testament to WHICH brews you allow to age in a barrel? the RUM barreled ones really sucked, I thought (which worries me about The Bruery's rum barrel Black Tuesdays coming out next month.... RUM??? does rum really go with beer????), but this one does good! but overall, this is the best one from this brewery yet.

3.74/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Not much head to this just a 1/4 inch of head that settles to a mild lace ring. Color is very dark brown black and very stout like.
S - Some whiskey notes and nuts with vanilla and a touch of toffee sweetness.
T - Not the biggest fan of Irish whiskey but this is nice. Mild roast and chocolate flavors meets some burning whiskey and oak. Not very much sweetness which is surprising for this brewery but it kind of works.
M - Medium bodied could use a bit more slickness but goes down easy.

Overall Irish Whiskeys usually make me gag but this one aged in barrels is OK. Still I prefer cherry wood aged because I love sweetness.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours very dark brown with a thin tan head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of smoky peat with a hint of chocolate and some vanilla/oak. Nice enough, though it could be more robust.

The taste is of chocolate with mild coffee taste and roast. It has some earthy tones in the back. The oak adds vanilla with some whiskey notes. There is a touch of alcohol warmth in the finish. The whiskey cask adds sweetness to it, but there is enough roast and earthiness to keep it from being too sweet.

It could be creamier, but there is enough body to it to make it work well enough. It is smooth.

An interesting, unique, well-balanced, tasty brew. It grew on me quickly and I liked it more the more it progressed.

3.37/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured into a glass goblet.

Pitch black with small, tan head on top. There’s no retention at all and little to no lacing on the glass. Dark roasted malts, milk chocolate, coffee, substantial sweetness on the nose. I can’t seem to detect any whiskey barrel in the aroma, however. Taste is sweet maltiness up front with bittersweet chocolate. Now you can taste the whiskey, although it’s not as forward as I thought it might be. There are bitter malts at the end with a fairly sweet finish. The mouthfeel is smooth but not as creamy as I like in a stout. This is a decent barrel-aged stout, but I think it could’ve benefited with more time in the whiskey barrels.

3.96/5  rDev +3.9%

Labelled as Irish Whiskey Finish for Canadian markets. Also aged 60 days so i'm assuming this is the same beer. 330 ml bottle purchased from local LCBO for $3.50 CDN. Served cool into a pint glass.

Appearance - Very dark brown in color with some mahogany hues. Virtually no head was poured although a small swirl of foam does linger on top.

Smell - Signature Innis & Gunn Vanilla and oak notes blended nicely with a solid whiskey base. Some oak, some earth and a butterscotch note in there too.

Taste - Quite delicious with the oak and whiskey flavors shining, with just enough Vanilla and oak in the background to let you know who made this. Light yet filling and satisfying.

Mouthfeel - Lacking on carbonation and a thinner body than you would expect, but it works just right. Alcohol is imperceptible.

Overall - One of the best products I've had from Innis & Gunn and I'm a pretty big fan. Great winter beer.

3.76/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Deeply, deeply dark brown/red in color. almost appears black in poor lighting, but in better lighting a more dark-reddish color can be seen. when first poured it was almost 100% head, but the 2ed pour had almost no head.
curious.
4.25/5

smell: Honestly? the smell is VERY restrained. I dislike this. I enjoy the aroma of a beer almost as much as the taste, and not being able to properly enjoy it is a big let down. all I'm getting out of it is very slight fruityness.
2.5/5

taste: this is where the beer really shines. It has enough oak and whiskey character to let it work to its advantage but not too much to make it hard to drink. Think chewey maltyness in this brew. heavy dark fruit and dark caramel work well with the oaky/whiskey flavors.
just enough hops in the after taste to keep it from becoming cloyingly sweet
4.5/5

mouthfeel: on one hand, its heavy malty character is VERY nice...but on the other hand, its HUGE carbonation is a HUGE negative. maybe their attempt to bring more aroma out of a bland smelling brew
3.5/5

overall:
I was expecting a lot more from this beer, just from the labeling and what not, but it really didn't deliver to my HIGH expectations. but that does not make it a bad beer. I was just expecting world class stuff

really its taste is fairly world class, but with its poor aroma, I really cant give it a high rating
3.75/5

I think Ill enjoy my next 3 bottles, and see if my tastes change for each one, but after that I doubt Ill buy it again or order it at the bar.

4.29/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Black with amber hues. A dense brownish-cream head with moderate+ retention and nice lacing in the glass.

Really nicely balanced in the nose with bittersweet chocolate, cream, light roast coffee, mocha, filled out by a rich roasted maltiness and gentle hop notes in the background.

On the palate, the bittersweet chocolate continues with espresso and deep caramel notes with some very light peat and smokiness. The richness offsets bitterness in the finish.

A plush, creamy mouthfeel carries all the way through the palate.

Really well put together. The oak is very subtle in the beer and really only lends very faint background notes. It does integrate things nicely however. Wonderful balance and structure.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle: embossed 330mL clear bottle with the standard Innis & Gunn label.

Appearance: pours dark brown with some ruby highlights against the light. A one-finger tan head hangs about for a good long while - great retention and lacing as it slowly drops over the entire session.

Aroma: not much nose as is typical of a stout - roast heavy malts with a touch of those vanilla and whiskey from the cask. Interesting, but a bit demure.

Taste: light chocolate with some peat and warming alcohol. I have to admit I didn't notice all too much of the vanilla and whiskey from the cask. Still, very enjoyable.

Aftertaste: Some bitterness comes through from the chocolate, and some toffee as well. Very nice.

Mouth feel: a very smooth stout - almost feels like a milk stout. Medium in body with a moderate- to- higher carbonation. Not sure if it wouldn't have been better with a little less carbonation.

Overall: first whiskey cask-aged beer I have had, and it hasn't disappointed. A very nice stout thanks to Innis & Gunn, but I'm not sure there was enough difference or added flavour from the cask to warrant the high price tag, since it is over AU$130-140 a case (2013).

3.76/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the 330 ml. clear bottle. Sampled on June 8, 2013.

It pours dark brown with plenty of ruby red hues glowing in the glass. The head is about a finger thick and basically stays around for the whole session.

The aroma is sweet and malty, a tad smoked, but it also has a roasty feel to it along with a little wood. Hops are downplayed.

The body is medium.

The taste has plenty of sweet malts going on with a slightly roasted feel too. Overall it is fairly easy to drink and predictable. But it does not jump out as anything out of the ordinary.

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

Picked this up in Totowa last week, not having an Innis and Gunn beer in quite some time. I had never had an English Stout before and although it's not as dark or strong as the Irish ones that I've enjoyed, there was a lot to like here and the Whiskey could be felt in the smoothness of the beer, if not necessarily in the taste.

This had a dark brown pour to hit with just a little bit of light seeping through around the edges. Not a lot of head here but there was a good amount after the pour that quickly settled down and stuck to the sides of the glass as I worked my way through it. This almost had the appearance of a handcrafted soda that had gone just a hair flat, as the carbonation wasn't that strong here. There was a good amount of roasted barley and milk chocolate both in the nose and aroma, which combined with a nice, creamy mouthfeel and hints of lactose and vanilla. Only in the aftertaste could I feel the effects of the whiskey cask, as the spice and alcohol from it stuck around both in my mouth and esophagus. The warming effect was pleasing and easygoing at the same time and everything worked seamlessly together, as the carbonation led to the flavors not being too overpowering or lingering.

Hard to believe that this was 7.40% ABV as I didn't feel woozy until I had nearly polished this off. I give these guys credit for pushing the envelope on what beer can be and for making me realize that for all that I've enjoyed over the years, that there's so much out there that I haven't tried and haven't had access to (such as this style). It almost reminded me of an Irish Dry Stout crossed with a Milk Stout but this was "wetter" and "less sweet" and most of all, completely unoffensive. I love what these guys are capable of!

11.2 oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a dark brownish black color with just a little hint of light coming through when held up to the light.

S- The aroma is dark roasted malts, vanilla and whiskey from the barrel aging.

T- The taste is sweet malt up front that is incredibly smooth with the whiskey and oaky flavors along with some warmth from the alcohol in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, this beer gets better and better as it warms in the glass so do not serve too cold.

3.45/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The ruby tints are very nice -- in a stout they make for quite a nice looking beer. Mouthfeel is a high note. Creamy feel despite having less body than the American stouts I'm used to. Taste is a bit high on alcohol, considering it's only 7.4, and the whiskey characteristics don't come through enough for me. The cherry, bitter chocolate, and toffee in the profile are enjoyable. Decent overall, but I wish the barrel added more to the flavor -- I feel the burn of whiskey but don't really taste it.

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

11.2 oz into a pint

A - Pours a dark brown to black color with a few amber highlights. Off colored head, very sticky with lots of lacing.

S - Roasted malts, chocolate lead the way. Lightly sweet, some funky barrel notes in the background.

T - Starts off lightly chocolately, sweet, and smooth. MId-stream gets the roast, turns balanced. In the finish i start to get the oaky flavors and some of the sour barrel funk. Aftertaste is somewhat yeasty.

M - Full bodied, moderate to light carbonation. Has the barrel or cask sense to it. A little sticky and sweet in the finish.

O/D - A very good and interesting beer. A little bit filling and the alcohol is fairly high, but manageable. Not overly barrel flavored, just a nice compliment.

3.67/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A cellar temperature bottle, listed as best by Dec 2013, is poured into a glass mug.

This si a very dark beer with a deep brown hue. A very large brown foam head fills the top half of my mug. Clinging and rising carbonation can been seen close to the walls of my glass, but the beer is opaque and I cannot see very deeply into the beer. As the head settles, spider-web lacing is left behind.

Chocolate malt and peat are the dominant aromas. Whiskey notes as small, but they do provide a bit of oak and warmth.

This is a very smooth stout. Whiskey flavors are present, but they aren't very strong. Big fans of barrel aged beers (those that taste like a shot of whiskey has been poured into the pint) will be disappointed with this beer. The whiskey notes are much more subtle. There is some roast and a touch of chocolate sweetness, but all the favors work well together.

Medium bodied, but the carbonation is high. There is some stickiness on my lips and in my mouth after swallowing.

This is an interesting stout. I don't believe I've every had a Scottish stout before, but I've certainly had my share of Irish whiskeys. And though the whiskey notes are light, I do like this beer. It is my second Innis & Gunn beer, and I've enjoyed both of them. If you are looking for a interesting European barrel-aged beer, I'd go looking for this one.

3.1/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Bottle: Poured a dark brown color ale with a medium dirty brown color head with medium retention and light lacing notes. Aroma is dominated by sweet caramelized notes with light whiskey notes. Taste is also dominated by sweet caramelized notes with a light whiskey touch which kind of round of the edges of the beer. Body is light with medium creamy texture and good carbonation. A bit of a lighter profile then I had expected with not as much whiskey notes as expected.

4.21/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a nice sized mocha head that reduced to a thin layer and left some nice lacing on the glass. It is a pitch black color with no clarity or bubbles coming up through the glass.

Smell: Chocolate, smoke, vanilla, and oak.

Taste: Delicious stuff. The toasted and toasted notes are very noticeable with bittersweet chocolate,, smoke, vanilla, and oak in there. You pick up a little booze characters, but doesn't feel like it.

Mouthfeel: Creamy smooth, full bodied, low to medium carbonation, slight booze, a little dry, and very drinkable.

Overall: This beer is good. Found this beer out last weekend and happy yo have scored a bottle. Will be enjoying more of thus in the future.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

A: pours black with a two finger dense and rocky head that retains very well into a pint glass
S: smells of chocolate and roast malt with hints of whiskey
T: tastes of roast malt, slight coffee, chocolate and hints of oak with some slight whiskey flavors being some vanilla and a bit of fruity alcohol. aftertaste is a bit more whiskey, chocolate and coffee
M: full in the mouth with soft carbonation
O: a good beer that really opens up as it gets warmer and the flavors from the casks become much more prominent.

3.92/5  rDev +2.9%

Best By DEC2013

A: Pours a deep brown color with ruby edges and a half fingers worth of tan head

S: Roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffee, and a hint of oak and Irish whiskey

T: Follows the nose. Starts off very much like a dry Irish stout with roasted malts, dark chocolate, and coffee notes and then moves into the subtle oak, vanilla, and Irish whiskey notes. Finishes lightly sweet and dry

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Dry

O: A solid dry Irish stout base makes for a solid choice to go in Irish whiskey barrels. Definitely has more flavor than most dry Irish stouts, and the barrel adds another nice dimension. A solid choice for an intro to BA beers, as it doesn't impart too much booziness but the flavors are still there. Solid beer

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours an opaque black with a foamy khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Foamy rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, vanilla, and some woody aromas. There is also a slight metallic aroma that comes out more as the beer warms. Taste is much the same with cocoa, vanilla, and woody flavors on the finish. A smoke flavor comes out as the beer warms up. There is a vanilla sweetness that lingers on the palate after each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but I am not really getting any distinct whiskey aromas or flavors from this one.

3.79/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A clear extra dark cola with a healthy dollop of lace on top and clinging to the sides. No real activity. Smell is sweet with mild molasses and malt. A faint whiskey presence. Coffee, coaco and bread. Taste is much the same with a smooth character that harkens back to the porter roots of an English stout. Lots of molasses and malt. Finish is mildly bitter with a hint of whiskey that gives a mild oak and vanilla flourish. Feel is on the lighter side with a crisp, mild carbonation. A good easy drinking brew. Not earth shaking but solid and enjoyable.

4.09/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From 04/06/13 notes. Poured from a 330ml bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a dark mahogany brown color with one finger of tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Looks like a nice stout.

s - Smells of vanilla, cream, roasted malts, sweet chocolate, some oak, light espresso and coffee. Very nice, lots of cream and vanilla to it mixing with chocolate. No whiskey but still good.

t - Tastes of sweet chocolate, vanilla, roasted malts, cream, light coffee, toffee, and toasted malts. A little sweeter than the nose and more chocolate. Very nice.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Body is very smooth and creamy. No alcohol heat and very easy to drink.

o - Overall a really nice stout. I've been underwhelmed by their Original scotch ale and did not like their rum cask wee heavy, but I liked this one a lot. Lots of chocolate and vanilla to it and easy to drink. No real whiskey to it, but it's still good. Would like to have it again.

3.61/5  rDev -5.2%

330ml bottle into an Innis & Gunn tulip.

Pours pitch black with a barely one finger tan head that fades away not too long after the pour. A little lacing clings to the sides of the glass.

The aroma is quite weak which took me a little by suprise. Some cocoa powder along with a touch of smoke and the Innis and Gunn yeast character that is present in all of their beers.

The flavor somewhat redeems the lack of aroma as there is a good deal going on. Cocoa is abundant transitioning into some darker chocolate. A little bit of peat smoke is buried deep in the background and i can definitely pick up the cereal grain flavor of irish whiskey although it is quite faint. A touch of clove and wood finishing out with a slightly sticky finish.

Overall, one of the better beers I have had from this brewery although it is still fairly lackluster. It is a decent stout but definitely not worth the steep price tag.

Innis & Gunn Irish Whiskey Aged Stout from Innis & Gunn