Innis & Gunn Winter Beer 2012 | Innis & Gunn

Innis & Gunn
Scotland, United Kingdom
innisandgunn.com

Style: English Porter

Porter brewed with molasses.

Added by CloudStrife on 10-28-2012

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.48/5  rDev -4.9%

330 mL bottle from the LCBO. I used to be a big proponent of I&G, but in recent months I've begun to tire of their offerings - there's just too much overlap between most of them. I like oak and vanilla and all, but let's see some more variety, huh? I went out on a limb and purchased this one anyway.

Pours a deep, clear, brownish-amber colour with ruby highlights, topped with slightly more than two fingers of dense, creamy, light tan-coloured head that seeps away over the next few minutes. Besides the soapy film left behind on the surface, its only remnants are a 1 cm-wide collar of foam around the edge, and a continuous swath of lacing stuck to the glass above it. The aroma is very reminiscent of most I&G offerings, with the oak, vanilla and toffee notes making themselves very apparent, but with the extra addition of a sweet, syrupy, almost roasted note from the molasses/treacle.

Decent flavour, but as I suspected this comes across more as a tweaked version of their flagship oaked ale (or maybe their rum cask) than an entirely new beer. Caramel, toffee and oak come through at first, leading into the powerfully sweet molasses notes. Together, the treacle, with the dark fruit (dates or figs) and buttery feel, give off a bit of a maple syrup vibe. Finishes with some pleasant toffee sweetness and a weak hint of ethanol; the aftertaste is lingering oak and earthy hop dryness. Medium-bodied, with a decent thickness/chewiness to the body. Leaves a slick feel on the palate after swallowing, and the mild carbonation helps facilitate this. Not especially well-balanced, in that I could see the treacle sweetness becoming annoying after more than this serving.

I still feel that I&G makes good beer, but I have come to terms with the fact that they are a one trick pony. It's not that these oaked beers don't taste good, because they generally do. Rather, it's that they all kind of taste the same, with only a few discernible tweaks with each new specialty release. This bottle was a relatively cheap pick-up, and thank goodness for that because I might have skipped it if it were one of those bottle-in-a-carton deals that cost an extra 2-3 dollars.

Final Grade: 3.48, a serviceable B-. Innis & Gunn's Winter Treacle Porter is pretty much what I expected - a sweeter, boozier version of their base oaked ale. I&G fans with a sweet tooth may wish to give this one a try, but anyone who doesn't fall into that category (and isn't a big I&G homer to begin with) probably wouldn't be missing much if they skipped it. I could go either way on this one; I don't like it as much as their flagship oaked ale or their rum cask, but it's still a decent brew - just not one where the tweaks were tailored toward my preferences. The porter name is also fairly misleading, as I'd be more inclined to stuff this into the "English Strong Ale/Wee Heavy" box than the "stout/porter" one.

Pours a clean orange-ish to brown color with a light tan head. In the aroma, oaky and a sweet molasses stickiness. In the taste, oaky, a small stickiness and a note of roast. A small bite and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry sticky molasses and a small roast in the aftertaste. Oaky and sticky molasses, definitely adds more to an English porter.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

3.44/5  rDev -6%

A clear dark brown/ruby color with a thin line of bubbles on top.

Caramel, vanilla, butter, oak, and alcohol notes in the aroma.

Very strong oak and butter flavors up front. These carry through to the finish with a weak caramel malt flavor. It finishes with a bitter alcohol bite and lingering oak.

A little bit thin at first, but the carbonation helps round it out. Slight burn in the finish.

Not bad....The oak flavor is very strong and overpowers the beer. Can't say that I was able to pick up anything other than a sweetness under the oak.

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

3.57/5  rDev -2.5%

330ml bottle poured into tulip 8/12/12

A clear dark amber with no visible bubbles and just a thin film for foam that leaves a lone patch of lace

S brown sugar, molasses, and banana bread mix with some faint woody notes and vanilla, smells pretty good

T some coco and a little more wood then the smell but I felt the nose had more going on and I was liking the banana bread I'm not finding in the mouth

M has some body but not enough bubbles to back it up, a little slick and a woody, spicy, earthy finish lingers

O not quite a porter in my opinion but not a bad beer if you ignore the classification, well concealed booze and a solid nose

I'll admit I don't know what Treacle is, or how to pronounce Treacle for that matter. Stay in school kids, stay in school.... Hey at least I'm a role model

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

330ml bottle, called 'Winter Treacle Porter' in shipments to Canada, where it comprises part of the usual I&G gift-pack, and is now sold separately, like batteries, I suppose.

This beer pours a clear, dark ruby amber hue, with two fingers of foamy, bubbly beige head, which leaves a low fuzzy rise of lace around the glass as it subsides at an even pace.

It smells of dark, rummy sugar, banana liqueur, a bit of semi-sweet chocolate, a subtle oaken woodiness, some mildly astringent orchard fruitiness, and marshmallows. The taste is musty molasses - duly restrained in their sweetness - dark black fruit, a twinge of besotted wood graininess, nicely evolving Christmas cake notes, some additional soft, warming alcohol, and a touch of earthy hops.

The bubbles are generally quite tame, and barely supportive, the body a sturdy medium weight, just a tad clammy, and generally smooth. It finishes off-dry, the molasses (I suppose that's actually treacle, but having no cultural or gustatory experience there, I'm going with what I know) doing well to not overstep its guest role - and the fruit, hops, and booze all lending a helping hand.

Well, I&G usually leaves me with a case of the blahs, usually from the overwrought oak sweetness - here, however, that is leavened a fair bit, and the unusual sugar adjunct adds a touch of seasonal whimsy. Nothing revelatory, but worth a try, if only to check back in to this particular brewer's wares.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

11.2oz bottle served in the Innis & Gunn "tall glass".

L - clear chestnut brown with a bubbly beige head that thinned to a ring.

S - whiskey wood and brown sugar.

T - oak and lots of sweetness with just a hint of bittering before finishing sticky sweet.

F - medium bodied with mild carbonation.

O - decent, worth a try.

Innis & Gunn Winter Beer 2012 from Innis & Gunn