Convict Hill Oatmeal Stout | Independence Brewing Co.

Convict Hill Oatmeal StoutConvict Hill Oatmeal Stout

Independence Brewing Co.
Texas, United States
independencebrewing.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by Redrover on 02-12-2009

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

So, again kudos aschwab for bringing this thing to Bogotá for me.

Now the convict hill wasn't what I expected but can take the claim it is even better. The bottling is deceitful because, whilst the bottle itself is very dark, one seemingly gets the feel the liquid within is clearer.

It's not- first thought as I started pouring it was "whoa, thick" because it literally looks like tar or car oil flowing, inactive, almost muddy just piling up in my american pint glass in which I tasted it. as it settles, the darkest head I've ever seen looks just as dormant as the underlying fluid, this is a brown-to-black head probably the colour you get from boiling soy sauce. it's extremely dark. and looks almost mousse-like, just stable and quiet, cakeish.

Smell is impressive. It's very sweet but has a balancing bitter feel at some point. I mean, this could easily fool you for a liquid brownie- I need say no more, because that's what this roasty chocolate deal is all about. fabulous smell, very very inviting for a stout. (ok maybe the bitter balance it has makes it rather like magic brownies and not so much your average...)

Taste is great. I'm a big sucker in this world for two things, the both of which this beer has:
1) A well handled sweetness. A beer can go all wrong here, but this thing is virtually a cacao melt with very clearly defined malts, nonetheless, and still a serious, balancing bitter and burnt aftertaste. It practically layers out through the tongue, and is complemented by a bigger than average (yet still mild enough to be an enhancer and not an overwhelm-er) alcohol feel on the palate & nose as you sip it.
2) A coherent smell-taste correlation. I tell ya, when a beer smells sweet and you suddenly hit a taste brick wall with super dry malts, I get a bit pissed. Not here, no sir. The smell is a prelude and heck, maybe an abstract on the beer itself. you know what you're about to indulge in (read above) and you'll love it.

And the mouthfeel? It's thick and oozy, but not as bad as its visual statement suggests. In fact, it can be a fair companion in warmer climates, because it is still reasonably dry if sipped cold, or boozed enough to hit you in winter.

For someone not so big on stouts, I have to say this is the second stout that has blown my mind in the past year (heck even exactly one year after the first, the DFH-WWS), and for my first (or among the first) texan beer, I certainly will hunt this treat down in the lone star state or beyond its borders because, I tell ya, it's worthwhile.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

A- Deep, dark brown color lets absolutely no light through in my mug. The head is latte-brown with great retention and spots of lacing.

S- Coffee beans, molasses, cocoa, and rhubarb-like hops with a distinctive bitterness

T- Think molasses cookies. Now think oatmeal cookies. Now imagine gooey dark chocolate chips. Yup

M- Silky and smooth with some gooey oatmeal drag

D- My favorite Independence brew to date but the only other one I remember was Austin Amber which was over-carbonated

4.48/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.45/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This was poured into a tulip glass and was a very nice deep brown, almost black in fact. It's so thick, Superman couldn't see through this one! Guinness beware! I nice thick head to start that settles into a pleasurable thin head which leaves a lacing that makes the glass all giddy!

To smell this one, is to experience great pleasure. If the pugnant chocolate aroma doesn't get you, the actual oatmeal smell from the oats will. I took a sip as quickly as I could, but then had to sniff this one again. Wow, unusual to have a local craft brew come out with a stout this nice.

To taste this one is to experience an Oatmeal Stout that truly speaks for this style. The chocolate comes out immediately hits you and then the oats. Kind of like having a bowl of chocolate oatmeal! The taste of hops does not seem that prevalent.

The longer this one lingers, the more the oats come out. What surprised me, was that I seemed to get more of the hops as well. Very thick, but not so thick that it becomes a meal all its own.

Over all, I was more than impressed (if you couldn't tell!). I am a huge lover of Stouts and Porters, Stone's Imperial Russian and Oatmeal Stouts in particular, but this impressed me. Hidden away in the heart of Texas' capital, a gem of a brewery awaits those that are willing to seek it out. Not sure what the ABV is, but seems around 7-8%. Paired nicely with the chicken wrap, chips and queso I had for lunch.

4.45/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A:Dark black/brown in Color. Very thin head with no lace, carbonation was a bit low as is most of Independence offerings.

S: very coffee/chocolaty. Had some chocolate milk there as well. Sweet caramel notes. still a bit grainy/earthy as well.

T: tasted of coffee/toffee/chocolate malts. Very chocolate milky. Had a bit of sweetness and earthiness there as well.

M: Very creamy/smooth. Not very heavy for a stout but still nice. went down easy enough.

O: Something I will go back to in the future. very much exceeded what I had expected from Independence.

4.44/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer! Very dark brown with creamy foam head. Malty flavors with wheat and, perhaps, cocoa mixed in. Incredibly smooth finish. Very thick and filling, but not too thick. Don't pass this one up!

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a snifter glass. No freshness info. Thanks to wagenvolks for the extra!

Appearance: Pours a viscous black with a very dark mocha head. Foam retention is above average.

Smell: A pleasent roastiness with sweet, dark caramel and chocolate. Notes of vanilla, coffee, and smoke.

Taste/Mouthfeel: A lot of milk chocolate and creamy caramel mixed with creamy espresso. Mouthfeel is super creamy and kinda remindes me of a creamy coffee drink.

Drinkability: A very easy drinking imperial stout. Would love to have more of this.

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Exceptional

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

Also on tap at the new Ginger Man.

I've been wanting to try this one for a while, and I'm not disappointed. It pours dark, dark, dark with a tan head that shrinks a little too quickly but leaves good lace. Plenty of coffee in the nose and, of course, burnt malts. The chocolate that you you normally find in this kind of beer plays second fiddle here and the oat flavours are nicely balanced.

Not as sweet as some oatmeal stouts, and that's very much to my liking. I much prefer the drier, more bitter style. This is somewhere between a Stone RIS and a Bear Republic Big Black Stout. It's got something for everyone I reckon.

Mouthfeel is full but not too heavy. Again, nicely balanced. Independence have really hit the nail on the head with this one.

Convict Hill Oatmeal Stout from Independence Brewing Co.