15th Anniversary Double Wench | Middle Ages Brewing Co., Ltd.

15th Anniversary Double Wench15th Anniversary Double Wench

Middle Ages Brewing Co., Ltd.
New York, United States
middleagesbrewing.com

Style: American Strong Ale

To be brewed for at least a year, perhaps longer.

Added by Lazerlobe on 04-26-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

The beer pours a translucent brown color with a thick frothy off-white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a really nice caramel malt scent along with some fruity yeast esters and a nice hop bitterness. The yeast really aids in pronouncing the hops and malt character. The taste is decent. It has a very bitter hop bite up front with a boozy alcohol laden finish. It has a burnt caramel flavor to it that's unique, but does agree with the Ringwood yeast. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn hoppy brew with adequate malt balance. It's a little too bitter; almost to the point where it kills the yeast character and hinders the sweet malt taste. Not bad. A bit more interesting than last years anniversary ale.

4.23/5  rDev +6.5%

Middle Ages Double Wench is a crystal clear, dense copper-brown ale with a thick, dense, beige head that has outstanding retention and lacing. It has a hoppy aroma, with notes of flowers, grass, citrus and pine. There's some caramel and a light sweetness from the malt. The malt and hops work together perfectly in the nose. It's full bodied and very smooth. The finish is dry and leaves the mouth a little chalky. It has a bold, resiny flavor that's very well balanced. There's the slightest bit of sweetness. There is a long, resiny bitterness that lingers. It's not super unique, but it's a big, bold beer that demands you take notice.

3.38/5  rDev -14.9%

Here's the gist...

A - Dark Amber, Red/Brown. Pouring it into a standard pint glass, I'm greeted with a small tan head that provides only minor lacing.

S - Piney hops and bitters, with a minor malt aroma (the malt scent increase as it warms).

T - Immediate bitters followed by a sweet caramel and, what hits my pallet as, a slight maple flavor. Previous reviews suggest banana, and that's pretty accurate. However the alcohol content overpowers in the finish. It's a strange mix of quickly evolving flavors.

M - Full Bodied and chewy.

D - It's a decent brew. I bought their big bottle, and that's all I really want/need. It was worth a try (given the fact that the original Wailing Wench is fantastic), but I don't expect to make a repeat purchase.

Cheers.

3.4/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I ordered a Wailing Wench at Dino-BBQ in Syracuse, but the waitress said that they were out of the Wailing Wench. Instead they had the Double Wench, which I was not aware of because they had not changed their draught board yet. I'd never heard of the Double Wench, which for me is a good thing. At first I wondered if there was some confusion and they only had the Middle Ages IIPA, but once I got this beer it was pretty easy to see that this was not the IIPA.

The body is a brown color with some red and crimson hues. The tan head is small and doesn't last long or leave lacing behind.

The aroma has a big, toasted, caramel malt flavor along with some fruitiness, which is a surprise. A bit of piney hops and bitterness are in there also, which isn't surprising. Also a touch of alcohol.

A pretty good blast of bitterness in the form of pine resin from the hops greets me immediately upon my first sip. The hop flavors are pretty short-lived though, and they give way to a ton of sweet malt, with flavors of caramel, toffee, and a faint, lightly toasted flavor. Along with the malt comes the light fruitiness from the ale yeast. The main fruit that I pick up is banana, which is strange, but not in a bad way. The finish is a bit boozy, and I guessed this beer to be right around the 12%ABV that it actually clocks in at just based on the flavor.

The body is pretty thick, maybe a little chewy with fairly low carbonation.

I'm glad I got this beer, but I have to say that it isn't the best choice to wash down a giant plate of BBQ. Overall I liked the Double Wench, but I think I enjoy the more balanced, less boozy and slightly hoppier Wailing Wench.

4.27/5  rDev +7.6%

I've always been a fan of the regular Wench so I rushed down to the brewery for a growler fill.

Pours a crimson tinted brown with transient off-white foam. This monster smells of big, smokey roasted malts that give off a lot of sweetness and some fragrant citrus hops. Taste is huge caramelized sugars, smoke, banana and bubblegum with some bitter resinous hops. The carbonation is medium on this one, pretty thick and syrupy with a sweet sticky and bitter notes left behind. Oh yeah, this is a big brew! There is some alcohol heat left behind but this beast is very well balanced. The 12% ABV is barely noticeable. What a great big sister to the Wailing Wench.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
15th Anniversary Double Wench from Middle Ages Brewing Co., Ltd.