Ye Olde Kilt Tilter | Middle Ages Brewing Co., Ltd.

Ye Olde Kilt TilterYe Olde Kilt Tilter
69%
Liked This Beer
3.83 w/ 145 Ratings
Ye Olde Kilt TilterYe Olde Kilt Tilter

Middle Ages Brewing Co., Ltd.
New York, United States
middleagesbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by John on 09-16-2002

Liked:
3.83/5
Alströms:

4.8/5  rDev +25.3%

This is definitley one ofthe greatest scotch ales I have ever had.

It poured into a glass with a thick dark character, with a small egshell white head that faded along with consumption.

The aroma was deep and engulfing, with the scotch malts giving off oak, whisky, hickory, brown sugar and simmered oat meal.

The taste was enveloping, with the malts filiing my mouth with the aromas that it promised. The flavoring was deep in oak and hickory, with notes of tofee and a pinge pf butterscotch. The ethonal burn that should of been their barley made itself present.

The mouthfeel was HEAVY, with the aroma and taste lingering for literaly hours after I drank it, and was very easy going down.

the beer lefted me deeply satisfied and litte full, being its a VERY big beer.

4.75/5  rDev +24%

4.73/5  rDev +23.5%

22oz bottle obtained via trade with shippos. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1 1/2" light brown head over the deep burgundy brew. Frothy head lasts well, and lacing is tremendously heavy foam coverage. Aroma is strong, sweet, fruity maltiness, with alcohol apparent as well. Taste is just what the nose indicated, but with some chocolate somewhere in there, and the alcohol muted by the plethora of flavors already present. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth, oh-so nice, and drinkability is incredibly scary for the style. One of the best Scotch-style ales I had enjoyed.

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%

4.57/5  rDev +19.3%

Purchased a bomber at the local beer shop; no freshness date.

Poured nice airy head. Dark ruby color.

Smelled fruity and sweet. Hint of alcohol;not too overpowering or showing signs of being a 9%

Sweet start with a dry finish. Tastes like scotch at the start. Fruity and smooth.

Carbonation not too high; which for me is a plus. Too high alcohol content to be a session beer, but could put a few back for they are smooth start to finish

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured into thistle glass. Slightly cloudy deep garnet with a small tan head. Smells of bourbon and alcohol, malt and sweetness. Taste is clean, sweet malt with a thick sweet boozy finish with crackery flavors hanging over. Delicious and dangerously drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

Served from a 22oz. bomber into a pint glass at just below cellar temperature.

A - Pours vigorously into the glass with a medium chestnut brown color and auburn highlights. The light tan colored creamy head rises to a thick one-finger in height, displaying bubbles like one would find atop an uncooked pancake on the griddle. The lacing is fair and spotty.

S - Big sweet maltiness with notes of vanilla, caramel, maple sugar, figs, dried plums and raisins. I also get a hint of rum-like alcohol. Very subtle notes of roasted coffee. Yummy!

T - Oh so good... Starts off with a sweet, dark bready sweetness - all malt. Organic yeastiness in the middle, with nuances of the big alcohol that lurks sneakily beneath the surface. The finish is toasty, and the hops that were all but absent in the smell come through with a satisfyingly drying finish. For as sweet as this is, there is no cloying at all. Ah... feel the warming in the belly! Excellent!

M - Unbelieveably creamy and smooth... soft and tantalizing like a melt in your mouth truffle. Slides down the back of the throat like ice cream sliding off of a hot spoon. Perfect for the style.

D - My oh my is this one good... and dangerous, given its high ABV. This beer is so very drinkable in almost all respects; as a warmer for a cold evening... as an all-nighter at a party (heh - be careful). Excellent job, Middle Ages!

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

Had on tap from the Sunset Grill and Tap in Allston, Mass. The beer was presented to me in a 13oz. toulip glass. The beer was a dark amber color boardering on light black. There was a sliver of head that reduced to just spotty carbonation. Lacing stuck to the glass throughout the sample and some slight bubbles of carbonation ran up the sides of the glass.

The smell was a mild sweetness with accents of caramel and toffee. Faint alcohol as well. A "malt dominated" aroma to be sure.

The taste was innitially very sweet--true to its malty wee heavy style. Mellow flavors of carmel, toffee, and raison and a very slight alcoholic tinge to the taste, The flavors and alcohol were inhanced as the beer slightly warmed. Very smooth to the finish with a robust flavor.

Medium to firm body with a creamy smoothness and mouthfeel. Very little carbonation, robust, and hearty.

A super drinkable beer. So smooth and enjoyable to drink with a inticing sweet malt smell and a taste that wonderfully backs up every aroma. Great balance and a great beer. Another winner from Middle Ages.

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Rich, dark welcoming color, Creamy, tempting tan head. Aroma and flavor are big on malt sweetness, balanced by peat smokiness, roasted bitterness and an alcohol presence that enhances, and does not overpower. The Ringwood yeast traits are subdued. This brew's got some big ones. Hearty and satisfying. A real treat to find this brew cask conditioned. The MA web site says this is brewed once a year. Guess my timing was just right.

4.39/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

If we could list our top 5 favorite styles, wee havies would be 1A for me. The beer is lovely. Pours dark brick red, so dark that light can barely pierce through the heart of the glass. Just a slight refraction on the edges of the beer. Thik foamy head that at first appearance made me look for a nitrogen ball in the beer it was so creamy. Lots of stringy lace. Nose is potent. Lots of earthiness going on. Sugary malts with very odd hops to the nose. Some roasted tones too. Taste is very complex, with a nice alcohol burn coming through it all. Nice fruits like figs and grapes. Hops come across as clover or fieldgreens. Cream like tones are also finding their way through onto tongue. Some dark chocolate and salt water toffee candy comes out just slightly. Mouthfeel has a nice creamy texture to it; full body as well. Very drinkable and with the alcohol burn one cannot forget to be careful because it is pleasantly present.

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

Thick, huge beige head formed without any help. Cola-colored with a fair amount of CO2 streaming from the bottom.

Lots of malt sweetness with just a hint of an iron smell. Makes me think of Sam Smith's. The malt smell makes me think of chocolate chip cookies.

Very malty up front with a hop bitterness that comes in just the nick of time to balance, but stays for a long, slightly bitter finish with a hint of chocolate malt (maybe a caramel malt). Perfect balance! No diacetyl to speak of... (GFYS, haters). I was impressed with Brooklyn's scotch ale until this moment.

Thick and creamy. Might be bottle-conditioned, but I'm not sure. Certainly feels that way.

8.5%!?! That should kill the drinkability, but I can't seem to detect it, so I'm choosing to ignore it. Wonderfully easy drinking! I really wish I had two more bombers for this evening.

God, MA is producing some amazing beers these days! Without a doubt this is one of the best Scotch ales I have ever had. Seek it out.

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip glass...Looks very much like a porter on the pour...darker then expected which is always a plus! Dark, with some faint ruby highlights. A slightly tan head, probably about a 2 finger head on the pour, which reduces slowly, but some manages to stick around in some capacity.
Very rich, bold taste. I've had a few scotch ales/wee heavy's in my day (not a ton), but the only one that even compares to this one is Traquair Jacobite, imo (yes, including the Traquair house ale which I found watery and disappointing). And considering this one is a shade under $5 for 22 oz and jacobite is $6 for 11.2 oz around here, the choice is obvious. Deep malty profile, but certainly not overly sweet. Just the right amount of butterscotch/caramel flavor one expects from a scotch ale among the dense malt. Hops kick in slightly at the finish, but arent distracting to me like in so many other MA brews.
Very smooth and full but not overly heavy on the palate, so its no trouble to finish the bomber.
This should EASILY be a 4+ beer...one of the best scotch ales I've ever had. I s'pose its probably not available too many places, so I consider myself lucky. My favortie MA brew, and I've had quite a few.

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep reddish brown color with a big, foamy, tan head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of vanilla, spice, malt & smoke, with a hint of alcohol.

T: The taste isn’t too smoky, but has plenty of malt sweetness with flavors of vanilla & caramel. The alcohol presence is felt towards the end of each sip, but not as strongly as most beers with a 9.00% ABV. The after-taste is sweet as you would expect, but mild.

M: Very smooth and slightly more viscous than most beers I've had in this style, full bodied, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is dry and just a bit sticky.

D: Very tasty, not as filling as you would expect from a Scotch style ale. I can see how one might say this beer is a sipper, but I won’t because I drank it way too damn fast for it to be a sipper. I needed to pick this one up for a trade with BlackAngus (see his review below) and just had to grab a bottle for myself. I’m becoming more and more impressed with Middle Ages Brewing and the Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy style is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

4.29/5  rDev +12%

A: pours a dark brown color with tan/white head and lots of carbonation in the glass. No lacing down the glass.
S: Smell is very malty with an almost black licorace scent. also smells of rasins, slight yeast smell and some alcohol
T: I actually expected it to be more malty flavored. Tastes to me of dates, rasins . you can definatly taste the alcohol in this one, its very warming thats for sure.
M: mouthfeel is very creamy, somewhat dry at the end
D: I didn't really care for the first few sips of this beer, however toward the end I found it very complex and drinkable. not sure if thats the high alcohol% or if i just became more adapted to the style, probably a little of both.

4.28/5  rDev +11.7%

A: Super dark brown with some red in it. Two fingers of off tan head.

S: Not too much of a nose on this one. I only got some malt sweetness. Could be the cask.

T: Really nice. Sweet malt finish with a slightly bitter aftertaste. This was the sweetest example of the style I have ever had.

M: Solid med body. Carbonation is really good especially for a cask.

D: Very drinkable for the style. Came in from the rain and had this one and it was perfect.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Huge thanks to Shertz for sharing this. I have had it before but never reviewed. I was sharing with some guy just this evening that if there is a style I like above and beyond the average of general BA opinions it is certainly Hot, Boozy, Scotch Ales. This falls into that category.

Appearance: Pours mahogany brown with off white head.

Smell: Warm alcohol notes make it straight to the nose. If you don't want to taste or smell you alcohol skip this one. Banana, dark fruit and butterscotch diacetyl reach the nose as well:

Taste: Toasted caramel and dark fruits, typical dark scotch ale malt flavors, fig and hint of grape with alcohol presence, grain and banana followed by an almost smokiness/peat/wood scotch and a hop element.

Mouthfeel: Warm. I like that but not everyone does. It is a medium body beer but the cheeks are feeling it pass.

Drinkability: This is a sipping beer by all means but a terrific one I would like again.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Roured a very deep brown color with slight reddish highlights.Modest lacing.
Smell is smoky and dark fruity with much alcohol noted.
Taste is extremely enjoyable. The alcohol is virtually undetectable. (maybe the trick is to pour it and let it set for 5-10 minutes before teasting. Much dark fruitiness present. Roasted and smoky malt abound. A slight bitterness does some balancing of the sweetness.
Rich, creamy and full in the mouth with good taste retention.
Way too drinkable for a 9% beer. Definitely a bomber to share.

4.23/5  rDev +10.4%

From a 22 ounce bottle into a pint glass.
Looks pretty much spot on for the style. Deep, hazy caramel brown with a couple fingers worth of tan head that is generous with its deposits upon the glass.
Smells... like a Belgian strong dark ale! or a dunkel weizen! or weizen bock! Somewhere between Ommegang Abbey and Aventinus is what I'm getting out of here. Banana scents mixed with dark cherries. The flavor profile has a lot of that stuff going on, too. Dark bread with banana and cherries. Malts and yeast dominate here; sour dough bread with dried cherries or cranberries? Very layered and complex. I'm diggin it.
This will likely lift many a kilt if consumers are not careful. Big, bold and tasty all around. Those in the mood for a darker, heftier, sweeter type brew should be satisfied with this one. Good stuff and a bargain considering the $4.99 I paid.

4.21/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

As always, I have been searching for Scotch Ales that live up to my benchmark McEwan's flavor and approach. Simple, yet so elusive...

Got this one on a whim in a trade from a suggestion. I was skeptical. Long story made shorter - when I got the beer I was in the middle of a self-imposed beer "break". The break was lifted today and I fridged up the bottle for tasting.

Poured into my Douglas thistle glass. Pours dark, cloudy. Beautiful. 2 finger head that stands up briefly.

Smell is a little Earthy - not overly inviting.

Taste is amazing. malty, cherries, mossy, like a glimpse of life on the Moors. (yes I know it's not about that, but let me live my dream) Sweet, dark fruit, but just that hint of Earth. (not peat, damn you) This is the taste that in my mind, I associate with McEwan's - Highlands, Lowlands, Yadda MacYadda. Burnt toffee, marmalade, etc.

Downed 22 Oz. of this while writing the review. Damn.

Complaints: Not many. A trifle thin. Could be a bit more "heavy" and a bit less "wee". I could go for more boozy. Yes. I said it. Thicker, more treacle.

Overall - this is the real deal. Very non-U.S. S.A. tasting. Very authentic, old world. Nice freaking job - Middle Ages. what else ya got?

Ye Olde Kilt Tilter from Middle Ages Brewing Co., Ltd.
Beer rating: 69% out of 100 with 145 ratings