Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)
Central City Brewers + Distillers

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)
Notes: A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.
Reviews: 500 | Ratings: 1,134 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by SammyMacAttack:

4.51/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

473ml can poured into a standard craft beer glass(Not a shaker pint)

A: Light amber almost gold in color. A fine thick head adorns the crown of this IPA, leaving beautiful lacing that stays with a tenacity which I previously reserved only for 3rd world street vendors.

S: Upon dipping my nose near the glass I immediately recoiled back in shock and looked around me. The notes of Pine so strong I was convinced utterly I had suddenly awoken In a grove of towering evergreens. Finally convinced I was still in my house I tried to delve deeper into the aroma. Gentle notes of citrus showed them selves the more I looked, lingering into a delightful floral finish.

T: Not Bad

M: Just thick enough to linger upon your tongue as you sip yet not so thick that it becomes an unpleasant experience. It dances and swirls about leaving a fine, crisp and refreshing feeling finish in your mouth begging for the next tantalizing taste. So much so that I am actually on my 7th one as I write this review.

Summary: Would buy again.

3.46/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I don't get the high ratings of this beer. I had 2 cans on separate occasions and in my opinion it is pretty standard. The hops are pretty green and floral to me with bit of pine, which I would expect from an English IPA, but the malts in the taste are not this wonderful british caramel balance that complements the rather boring hop taste that is mainly bitter and only a little (grape)fruity. American IPA do not need the malt balance as their fruity hops balance the bitterness. This beer is neither this nor that. It is not bad but also niot special. (FYI, the beer was consumed not even 3 month after production date and should have been fresh enough)

4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I first had this in Van on draft. I decided to give it a go as it was a special of the night. I had one and drank it all night. It is aggressive but has an addictive hop quality. If you are in the mood for an IPA where the hop barrels over the malt this is for you.

1.76/5  rDev -58.6%

This was easily one of the top IPA in the entire world. It was bold, aromatic and had a beautiful colour. It was also my favourite. Easily a 5 in every category.

They updated the can artwork, started filtering it and who knows what else. The bold citrussy hops are gone, it's bitter, and it's unbelievably average.

The original was a work of love, this new stuff is a work of profit.

4.04/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served out of a can, beer appears a dark golden-orange copper colour with a finger of head that quickly disappears. Rich bouquet of hops, grapefruit and citrus on the nose. Taste is clean and refreshing and boasts flavors of cascade hops, grapefruit, pine, and citrus. Beer surprisingly does not finish as bitter as I would have expected it to, which is nice for those who dislike a very bitter-tasting finish. Carbonation is relatively high but tolerable and the finish is otherwise quite smooth. Overall a pleasant beer to drink.

2.04/5  rDev -52%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

This is quite interesting. At first the smell is not related to the taste, I can tell you. I like the smell of that beer, it smell like citrus of some kind.

For the taste, this is the most bitter beer I ever had so far. Its by far the most stronger beer I have ever tasted. It will be real challenge to drink more than one of this one. It taste like the peel of grapefruit.

It is a must try, if your are in beer tasting.

The IBU is 80, the SRM around 06, ABV 6.5%, the beer can 473 ml for the price of 3.75 (cad).

An interesting experience.

Got it again on February 04, 2017 and my experience is definitely not the same, I start to appreciate more and more high hop beers. this is not my preferred hop beer but I can appreciated them more than before.

3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

Got a couple of cans of this from the lcbo. Liked it but didn't think it was anything special. Pretty standard hops with some citrus & pine with some astringent bitterness remaining on the tongue. Would have it again.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

355 mL can picked up at the LCBO. Pours a light orange-amber colour, topped with more than two fingers of fluffy, uneven off-white head that takes its sweet time before fading away to a soapy cap. Webs of lacing stick to the side of the glass. As I noted above, this stuff has an amazing aroma - juicy grapefruit, orange rind and mango are dominant, along with some floral notes. Very hard to detect much malt character underneath the wallop of hops, but what is there is vaguely sweet/caramel-like.

The flavour follows the nose for the most part - tons of juicy fruit notes... grapefruit is the most prominent but I am also reminded of oranges, pineapple, mango and pine sap. A backbone of doughy, biscuity caramel malts buried underneath the hops provides good balance, but rest assured this is still a hoppy, bitter brew. Some grapefruit rind bitterness and pine resin lingers in the aftertaste. Medium-bodied (leaning toward the light side), with middling carbonation levels to provide a good bite. High drinkability - I'm sure you could throw this back quickly, but why would you want to waste all that flavour?

[Updated Jan 19 2016]

Another single can picked up at the LCBO, this time compared side-by-side with Lake Effect, Lone Pine and Fat Tug. This is still one of the best Canadian-made IPAs I've tried so far, but the upper-tier local (Ontario) competition has pretty much caught up at this point. Red Racer earns extra points for being available year-round and almost everywhere, while the very reasonable price tag ensures that I will continue to return to this reliable staple. Always recommended to hopheads.

[Updated Jul 8 2019]

500 mL "tallgirl" can from the LCBO; dated May 23 2019. Red Racer's was one of the first quality IPAs I had the chance to review years back, and the very high grade I originally awarded it reflected my lack of experience at the time. In other words, I think I overrated it, and I'm revising the review so that it's being rated more in line with the other 160-odd IPAs I've had in the intervening 8 and a half years. Truthfully, this remains a solid West Coast-style IPA, and while it has gone up in price over the years I'd still say it's good value. I used to buy it on a weekly basis, but the ubiquity of quality IPAs these days has really reduced the frequency with which I return to this beer.

Final Grade: 4.2, an A-

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Got a couple cans of this as extras from dyan. Thanks!

Golden in the glass with a slight haze. Pours with two fingers of head that slowly settles to a crown.

Raw hop aroma, grapefruit and pine, with some sticky malt in the background. There's a bit of tropical fruit too.

Flavors of pine and citrus combat with strong resiny bitterness. There's a bit of crackery malt, but this is dry and bitter on the whole. This is a raw, unrefined IPA, loaded with flavor but rough around the edges. Finishes a bit astringent, rougher than I remember it being on tap, but still quite good. Worth seeking out, but best sampled fresh from the brewery.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden/brownish color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of citrus and hops, considerable bitterness. Taste is very flavorfull, citrus with lots of hops. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall this was a very enjoyable beer.

3.97/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured slowly into a pint glass from a 12oz can.

This beer is nicely carbonated. It has excellent hop character and aroma that is very well balanced with the malt bill. This an incredibly well-rounded flavorful west-coast style IPA that is very easy to drink.

I would keep a 6-er of this in the fridge if I could find it again!

4.39/5  rDev +3.3%

The lone can that made it back from EBF weekend. Picked up at Julios on the way out.

A: Hazy copper color with a little under a finger of white head. A nice amount of lacing on the glass.

S: The nose on this beer simply kills. Fresh whole hop cones abound. Citrus. Grapefruit. A little bit of peaches as well. Smells like a big OL DIPA.

T: Little bit bitter up front. Goes into a little bit of a charcoal taste then the hops just come at you and do not relent. Not nearly as big a hop taste as the nose.

M: Really good. Little bit creamy with a little bit of stickiness to it.

D: I love a good beer in a can and this is just that. Would love this for tubing or fishing. Hopefully we will see this beer in NY soon though I know I am fooling myself just by typing that.

3.88/5  rDev -8.7%

A-medium amber color with a nice off-white head and decent lacing

S-citrus, tropical fruit, malt, pine, hint of floral

T-bready malt, grapefruit, pineapple, floral, pine, light herbal and mild to moderate bitterness in the finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp

O-decent IPA, but not as much forward hop flavor as I prefer

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Free can from ritzkiss...I owe you one! Thanks Eric. I've been wanting to check this out for a while now.

Pours a hazy, light copper colour with a thin blanket of white head. Nice lacing up the sides of the glass. I'd rate is 4.25 but will have to settle for 4.0.

Big aromas of pine and grapefruit backed up by sweet malt. Great smell but I'm left wanting more of it.

Lots of hops. Bitter and drying, it's quite earthy. Pine seems to be dominate with some grapefruit in the background. This is very much a West Coast IPA, the hops clearly outbalance the malt profile, though not in an overwhelming way. Dry, piney aftertaste. The ABV isn't detectable.

Good feel: creamy medium body with a light carbonation.

If I lived somewhere where this was readily available, it would always be in my fridge. I can't wait to get my hands on some more of this stuff. Incredibly drinkable and very sessionable. This beer easily makes company with the best IPAs I've tried. I imagine this would be out of control when fresh.

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) from Central City Brewers + Distillers