Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) | Central City Brewers + Distillers

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewers + Distillers
British Columbia, Canada
centralcitybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.

Added by canucklehead on 04-10-2009

Ratings: 1,095 |  Reviews: 489
Reviews by ghisty:
3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

appearance:
amber,orange, not entirely clear.
pours with some gravity, lands into one finger of solid foam
poured it a couple min ago , to let it settle in, and its head is still foamy and not dissipating, this is one of the longest staying heads ive seen..
lacing is thick and leaves rings for each drink.

smell:
immediate note of cascade hops, followed by some sweet grapefruit, and a bright
yeasty note like home made bread with citrus jelly. very sweet nose. amazing
brightness , the smell is strong and immediate, citrus cascades.

taste:
other reviews Ive read have said the bitterness was the most forward
part of this beer's taste, for me , its bright resinous hops, a burst of sharp dank hops
followed by the citrus flavour so obvious from the nose, then it levels down to
the bitter flavour, but its sweet into the aftertaste, complex, but not overdone.
it has a heavy almost orange peel flavour from the resins in the fresh hops.
the cascade hops are very present throughout. but balanced well by some other hops,
which they didnt mention on the can.

mouth:
surprisingly flat and easy drinking for the level of hops used,
and the slightly higher ABv, it starts off a bit foamy and levels down to a bitter
almost dry sort of aftertaste which lingers for a long time, fives of minutes even.

overall:
I generally avoid the whole range of IPA, as its not a style I've enjoyed often.
but hearing such high reviews of this ale I picked one up, and I had decided that
even if it isnt my preferred style, something scoring so highly must be worth trying,
I am still not a huge fan of this style of beer, but I am glad to have bought this one.
as its sort of redefining how I thought this style could be presented.
I've tried numerous IPA from various local craft brewers and other shelf stock,
and always found them to be overstated, and just disgustingly bitter or sour.
as I review more I have been finding exceptions to every style,
rarely do I find one so drinkable as this beer, mind you it isnt something I will
be drinking often, but if I find myself in the mood for something citrus and complex
but still very drinkable , this beer will be a go to.
the higher ABv isnt something i normally look for, as it often heats up the beers taste.
but this has been balanced perfectly in this beer, and it compliments to the style.
an enjoyable complex beer with a higher ABv , I will be buying this again.

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

473ml can poured into a standard craft beer glass(Not a shaker pint)

A: Light amber almost gold in color. A fine thick head adorns the crown of this IPA, leaving beautiful lacing that stays with a tenacity which I previously reserved only for 3rd world street vendors.

S: Upon dipping my nose near the glass I immediately recoiled back in shock and looked around me. The notes of Pine so strong I was convinced utterly I had suddenly awoken In a grove of towering evergreens. Finally convinced I was still in my house I tried to delve deeper into the aroma. Gentle notes of citrus showed them selves the more I looked, lingering into a delightful floral finish.

T: Not Bad

M: Just thick enough to linger upon your tongue as you sip yet not so thick that it becomes an unpleasant experience. It dances and swirls about leaving a fine, crisp and refreshing feeling finish in your mouth begging for the next tantalizing taste. So much so that I am actually on my 7th one as I write this review.

Summary: Would buy again.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I first had this in Van on draft. I decided to give it a go as it was a special of the night. I had one and drank it all night. It is aggressive but has an addictive hop quality. If you are in the mood for an IPA where the hop barrels over the malt this is for you.

4.04/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served out of a can, beer appears a dark golden-orange copper colour with a finger of head that quickly disappears. Rich bouquet of hops, grapefruit and citrus on the nose. Taste is clean and refreshing and boasts flavors of cascade hops, grapefruit, pine, and citrus. Beer surprisingly does not finish as bitter as I would have expected it to, which is nice for those who dislike a very bitter-tasting finish. Carbonation is relatively high but tolerable and the finish is otherwise quite smooth. Overall a pleasant beer to drink.

3.46/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I don't get the high ratings of this beer. I had 2 cans on separate occasions and in my opinion it is pretty standard. The hops are pretty green and floral to me with bit of pine, which I would expect from an English IPA, but the malts in the taste are not this wonderful british caramel balance that complements the rather boring hop taste that is mainly bitter and only a little (grape)fruity. American IPA do not need the malt balance as their fruity hops balance the bitterness. This beer is neither this nor that. It is not bad but also niot special. (FYI, the beer was consumed not even 3 month after production date and should have been fresh enough)

1.76/5  rDev -58.4%

This was easily one of the top IPA in the entire world. It was bold, aromatic and had a beautiful colour. It was also my favourite. Easily a 5 in every category.

They updated the can artwork, started filtering it and who knows what else. The bold citrussy hops are gone, it's bitter, and it's unbelievably average.

The original was a work of love, this new stuff is a work of profit.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

Got a couple of cans of this from the lcbo. Liked it but didn't think it was anything special. Pretty standard hops with some citrus & pine with some astringent bitterness remaining on the tongue. Would have it again.

2.04/5  rDev -51.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

This is quite interesting. At first the smell is not related to the taste, I can tell you. I like the smell of that beer, it smell like citrus of some kind.

For the taste, this is the most bitter beer I ever had so far. Its by far the most stronger beer I have ever tasted. It will be real challenge to drink more than one of this one. It taste like the peel of grapefruit.

It is a must try, if your are in beer tasting.

The IBU is 80, the SRM around 06, ABV 6.5%, the beer can 473 ml for the price of 3.75 (cad).

An interesting experience.

Got it again on February 04, 2017 and my experience is definitely not the same, I start to appreciate more and more high hop beers. this is not my preferred hop beer but I can appreciated them more than before.

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #52 (May 2011):

Canned craft from Canada. With the crack of the can, the hops permeate the nose with grapefruit rind, cedar, orange zest, musk, sweet pipe tobacco and some evergreen sap. Clear brassy look going on. Creamy, fluffy medium body pops with a bit of crispness. Hops jump on the taste buds like white on rice, and they are quite aggressive as well, with a high-reaching bitterness and citric rind flavor that gets right to the point. Peach and passionfruit ripeness with some dry toasted maltiness. Bitterness and hop flavor keeps on raking the palate far into the aftertaste. This no-nonsense IPA is hardcore, clean and drinkable.

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

More beer in a can, sweet! Pours into my glass a golden orange with great clarity and a quarter inch of bubbly head on top. Aromas start off with a good deal of piney resinous hops along with an earthy, caramel malt backbone. Spice and a touch of citrus work in as well.

First sip brings a solid mix of caramel malts along with resinous pine hops. Mellow sweetness throughout along with an earthy citrus-spice as it flows down. Good bitterness on the finish that balances out the malt sweetness. Solid IPA.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied. Good carbonation this is a brew that goes down easy. Glad we are able to get this in Chicagoland now as it's always nice to have a solid IPA in cans for beach going and anywhere bottles aren't welcome!

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Tully's in Wells just started carrying this and the Pale Ale. I liked this IPA a lot, so will definitely be getting the Pale Ale. In a pint glass it was a golden color with a thick wghite head. The head dissipated quickly, leaving some nice lacing. It had a citrus arom, and just a hint of flowers. Grapefruit taste, little bit of resiny pine, with a nice malt background. Not a hop bomb, still on the assertive side. Good Beer.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

4.44/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

The beer is golden very transparent head forms and resides the edge

The aroma is sweet piny and citrus hops loaded. There is a slight earthiness in the finish

This beer starts smooth with a building carbonation the taste starts dry and moves to a citrus grapefruit the body is light all hops not a hint of malt until just before an earthy hops finishes with a lingering bitter. Very nice

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) from Central City Brewers + Distillers