Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) | Central City Brewers + Distillers

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)
4.23/5
Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewers + Distillers
British Columbia, Canada
centralcitybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.

Added by canucklehead on 04-10-2009

#939
4.2

Ratings: 1,100 |  Reviews: 489

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a can into a shaker pint, the beer is a bright, slightly hazed, honey-copper coloring with a filmy, clingy, off-white head that settles into a low profile coating. Aromas of tangy sweet caramel malts and biscuits in the backbone, with a resiny and subtle floral hops profile. Smells like a well balanced IPA. Flavors are floral and resiny bitter forward, with a solid caramel and toffee backbone keeping the balance. Roasted throughout, with piny highlights. The end of the palate is dominated by bitter, green, hops resin, leading to a bitter, rich aftertaste, with citrus tart notes showing up, as well. Smooth, somewhat light in mouth, but bold overall. Great lacing left along the glass. Bitter, slick, slightly drying finish. Solid brew.

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 355mL can into a pokal. Rich gold with pinkish highlights, it doesn't have the richness of colour that many IPAs do, almost as if its been a little over-filtered. The smell is sharp piney hops backed with sweet floral malts, and not overly strong -- an aroma that leads one to expect an IPA on the light, refreshing side, rather than a fuller, more mouth-filling example of the style. And that's exactly what we get: a quintessential summer IPA, nicely balancing an almost British malt profile (think Deuchars IPA) with west-coast hops, while not going overboard on either. In the finish, though, the hops take over, their grapefruit-pith bitterness lingering after any hint of sweet has vanished.

Overall, while there's a lot of flavour here, its lightness both keeps it almost sessionable and (less positively) prevents it from reaching the highest heights of the style.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - pours a perfectly clear light orange copper. Great light tan head, 1.5 fingers tall. Good retention, decent lacing.

S - tons of fresh grapefruit and citrusy/juicy fruit aromas. Sweet caramel malts are relatively mild.

T - quite bitter, mango/pineapple/orange rinds, very resinous. Slightly dry bitterness lingers through the finish. Very refreshing.

M - medium/light bodied, decent carbonation. Very drinkable/refreshing

O - fantastic bitterness, crispness and refreshing, easy to drink. Delicious

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

We recently got this beer and it's Pale Ale buddy in my store for the great price of 16 dollars for a six-pack. Even for Canada, that's a lot. I was intrigued however, that this had a 95 on beer advocate - the highest rating of and Canadian craft beer we have at my store save for La Fin Du Monde. I love to try new stuff, and this is hard to resist.

It pours a brilliant orange colour - a little more attractive than some other IPAs I've had - which is a tall order. The aroma is rich in grapefruit and hops. Grapefruit is a natural pairing for beer, and whether or not some was added to the beer, it's extremely palatable. The taste is powerfully hoppy, which seriously makes me wonder how hoppy their imperial IPA must be. Pity we can't get it in. There is a ton of texture on my tongue, and the aftertaste is strong and citrusy. This is really a beer for hop heads. I love me an IPA and even I find this a wee bit strong. Still, it's an extremely good beer and I await the rest of the 6-pack.

4.31/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Being told this was "City Red IPA" at Green Dot Stables in Detroit, Michigan, I got it on-tap. Seeing as how this is all that comes up when I type that in, I have to assume this is the beer. And considering its high ratings... I think it's a safe assumption.

Appearance: A deep red color with no head ... no lacing to speak of either. Rather "blah" and unexciting.

Smell: Hops, but there's more to it than that... you can definitely tell it's a red, because there's plenty of malt notes in there. A lot of piney aromas dominate. My friends weren't too happy when I talked ... they thought it smelled awful. It probably did on my breath. :(

Taste/feel: Outstanding, to say the least... it truly is. There's a pretty massive bitterness, but the mouthfeel is smooth and the finish is pretty sweet. If you want some hops, this'll do it for you. A lot of the grassy and piney notes without much citrus, so go with this if you want a beer along those lines. Incredibly balanced, insanely drinkable, fantastic tasting. I absolutely love the red characteristics with the hops in this one ... a lot of times it's out of whack, but this is very nicely done.

4.19/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This poured out as a nice amber color with a soapy white head on top. It was a bit darker in color than I expected it to be. The head settles and leaves a pretty good layered lacing on the glass. The smell of the beer is hoppy with a toasted malt aroma in there. The taste of the beer is more malty when it's cold, as the beer warms up the fruity citrus hops start to come alive. The mouthfeel was medium bodied, good carbonation and very drinkable. Overall this really seemed a lot like a Nugget Nectar to me... I'd have to do a side by side to really pick out the differences but I really think they were similar despite the difference of style. This beer was really good even though it wasn't the freshest of cans... regardless I would drink this again and recommend it to others as well.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

4.02/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: A clear dark copper bronze colour, very little head is present, on top of that lacing is very thick.
S: The aroma of this beer, gives off a very citrusy orange scent, a very sweet scent I must say.
T: A very sensational hop piney taste with every sip. Carbonation is perfect for this beer, as it enhances the citrusy after taste.
M: As mentioned before the carbonation, which is mild, does add a sweet citrusy mouthful experience. Medium to heavy body, not as smooth as I would have liked.

Overall: I have drank many quality IPAs, surprisingly this IPA is quite decent, and I would recommend this to many IPA drinkers.

Shout out to fellow advocate, abbbp!

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%