Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) | Central City Brewers + Distillers

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewers + Distillers
British Columbia, Canada | website

Style: American IPA

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.

Added by canucklehead on 04-10-2009

Reviews: 482 | Ratings: 1,074
4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a clear amber/orange with a thick white head, some retention.

Strong aroma of flowery hops, grapefruit, strawberries, tropical fruit.

Tastes of fruity/flowery hops, sweet honey, syrupy malty grains, caramel, strawberries and a nice bitterness to finish it off.

Wonderfully velvet mouthfeel that goes down smooth, easily one of the best Canadian beers, well done!

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a beautiful translucent amber. Head dissipates pretty quickly leaving minimal lacing.

Smells of citrus, grapefruit, and flowers. I thought maybe there were fresh cut flowers in the house. Nope, its the beer!

Tasted amazing! Beautiful mix of citrus and floral tastes. Usually there is a malt backbone but in this case the caramel malts were intermingled with the hops instead of being on the back end. Smooth isn't even the word. More like polished.

Mouthfeel was exceptional. The can talks about a long finish. You can say that again. I actually counted and it was 15 seconds. No alcohol burn.

Actually, this was my first craft beer out of a can and I had some preconcieved notions going in. But holy smoke! Not anymore. I freakin loved it. Huge thanks to tilkmelmo for this one!

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Another thanks goes out to kmurray8621 for sending me this. I'm an IPA fiend and don't care who knows it!

Pours a semi hazy orange copper color with about two fingers of off white head. It has great retention and manages to leave some intense sheets of lacing on the glass.

The nose is hoppy and sweet, with citrus and spicey hops the main players, while the malty backbone has just begun to peak its face through.

More spicey hops in the taste than I got in the nose, and the citrus and floral hops are gone, replaced by piney and resiny bitter hops. Malts come out a bit more in the taste. Still very hop forward without being one sided.

Light to medium in body, with a crisp carbonation and a lingering bitter aftertaste. Drinkability is great.

Overall, a great IPA, and I'm really glad that I got a chance to try this, as it looks like it's gaining popularity and not a lot of people have had a chance to try it. Canadians brew good beer too!

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

I got this brew for winning a LIF held by indiapaleale. Thanks Russ!

12oz can served in a standard pint glass.

Clear orange/yellow color with a white head that thinned to a layer and left good streaks of lacing.
Smell is good and hoppy, citrus and pine.
Taste is a blast of citrus hops with plenty of bitterness and subtle malt to balance things out.
Medium bodied with a crisp feel and dry finish.
Easy to drink this tasty American IPA from Canada.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Pour - Somewhere between amber and gold lies the color of this beer. Nice and clean with little bubbles streaming north to make a sticky, fluffy coat on top.

Aroma - Oh man, this is the stuff. Super fresh squeezed bitter grapefruit, ridiculously piney, resiny awesome hoppiness! It's all there. I could huff this stuff. Has to be one of the best smelling IPAs I've come across (can, bottle or tap) in a while.

Taste - Grapefruit! Wow. This is the most grapefruity beer I've ever had (including Pliny and Hop Stoopid). Super fresh hops, pine, some orange peel but more than anything this tastes like a fresh squeezed grapefruit with a bit of malty goodness thrown in for fun.

Overall - I'm blown away. I would have never thought that this beer came out of this can. Awesome stuff! I love these kinds of IPAs and am stoked I can get this here in New England. Also, this was my first beer from BC and it was excellent! I may need to go back and try the other two that Central Brewing is distributing here in MA.

Would I buy more of it? - Hell yeah! I am going back for another six-pack very soon. This could easily be my go to beer and I'd love it if I had an endless supply in my fridge.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours out a light amber color into a snifter. Half a finger of head that leaves decent lacing.

Smell is big, bright grapefruit citrus.

Taste is more bitter grapefruit citrus and a slight pine flavor mixed with a slight roasted grain taste that seems to perfectly complement the hops. If you like grapefruit hop flavor, this is the beer for you.

Mouthfeel is reasonably dry with a good amount of substance from the roasted malt. Moderate carbonation.

One of the more intense grapefruit hop flavors I have gotten from a beer ever. Really nice hop flavor with a roasted grain profile that works well. A surprisingly amazing IPA. I had samples of FW Double Jack and Port Mongo before this and Red Racer stood out as the best and most flavorful.

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks to Casey10 for hooking me up.
Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a gold amber color with fluffy off-white head that dissipates very slowly laving patterns of lacing all over the glass. Very clear as well, looks impressive.

S: Big piney hops with a citrus finish. Hints of malt come through, but they're pretty well dominated by the hops.

T: Much more balanced than I was expecting based on smell. Beautiful, luscious hops are complemented by a warming malt backbone. Quite tasty.

M: Very impressive mouthfeel for an IPA. Incredibly smooth, with just enough bite from the hops. Leaves my mouth slightly slick. Gorgeous.

D: I don't think it can improve in this category. Hands down, one of the most drinkable IPAs I've ever had. Thanks again Brian!

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

Can thanks to jlindros.

Pours a nice deep amber color with one and a half fingers of foamy white head.

Scent of sweet juicy citrus, bitter pine, caramel, and sugar. A great scent with a nice variety of hop characteristics.

Taste of grapefruit, pine, light caramel, and a hint of pineapple. Finishes dry with a bitter sappy pine flavor.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with a somewhat smooth carbonation.

I found this to be very drinkable, this would be great on a warm Spring or Summer day.

4.49/5  rDev +6.1%

Received via trade with kmurray8621...thanks once again Kevin for another great beer. Poured from the can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour gives a somewhat rocky, but foamy, off-white 1.5 finger head. Great amber/gold color. Head recedes to a thin layer on top and ridiculous lacing.

Smell: Overwhelming aroma of grape fruit. And I mean that in the best way possible. Strong pine notes. Very resinous. This rivals Pliny the Elder, no lie. I put the aroma of this beer up there with the best IPA's and even some of the best DIPA's.

Taste: Holy cow! Grapefruit. Pine and orange peel too, but grapefruit is the dominant flavor of this beer. A decent malt backbone, but the hops never disappear. The bitterness about halfway through lasts through the finish and is second only to the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation that is subtle at first, but splashes all over the mouth right before you swallow. Bitterness lingers for literally minutes after the swallow if you give it that much time before another sip. Lingering hop oils coat your tongue, leaving a lasting grapefruit flavor.

Drinkability: Not very heavy, the malt backbone only exists as a very temporary balancing agent, and in no way weighs this beer down. If your a hop head, or can handle such oily and resinous hops, you could drink a few of these.

Pretty sure this is my first Canadian beer. And it gives me a new found respect for Canada. Great beer!

4.49/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So I will qualify this review by saying that I have searched for this one for a while, as it has a stirling reputation but is not always easy to find in Alberta. I found a six-pack at a Superstore liquor outlet of all places. Maybe a holy grail type mindset will bias this review, but regardless here goes. Pours a really nice burnished orange-amber color, with the copper liquid giving way to epic quantities of pale foam if you are patient and avoid a sissy pour down the sides, and I recommend this as the aroma is something to behold. Strong grapefruit and mango meld with brown sugar and pepper, and a taste echoes these elements and then some. I get these aromas on the palate, along with a musky tropical note like guava, a bittersweet component that recalls licorice, orange breakfast crystals, and a dank weediness like so-called BC bud. An amazing amount of flower shop perfume. Add some camphor and pine elements (catty?) and a bit of a musty currant vibe and you get a pretty amazing complexity that renders this beer's accolades just. The finish is classic bitterness but not hop bomb rank ... I enjoy the latter approach in imperial IPAs but here see the refined finish as a positive. The bitter builds a bit as you go but does plateau and the sweetness of the malts remains firmly by its side. A nigh perfectly balanced treat that strikes English malt and American hop notes simultaneously, without causing the Revolutionary War. They brew this in Surrey? I suppose the holy grail is going to be found in the remote inhospitable jungle, not on an idyllic beach.
Edit: I am happy with this review but figured I'd mention that this one is getting easier to find. Rejoice!

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance - clear gorgeous coper colour, good carbonation in the middle of the glass, nice foamy off-white head, some good retention and nice lacing.

Smell - smell explosion! hops, caramel, earthy tones and the signature piney! Very good smelling beer, really well balanced.

taste - i can pick up some citrus, hops and malts. very defined and well tasting beer. there is some bitterness near the end as well.

mouthfeel - lots of bitterness added here from the citrus and hops. good lasting tasting beer, was very impressed with the dynamics behind this beer.

drinkability - what a great tasting beer, from tasting to bitterness, wish i had more!

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a clear golden orange, nice creamy head, great lacing. Smells of peaches, grapefruit, juicy fruit, tangerines, oranges, touch of pine, slight bready malt. Tastes of a citrus blast of hops with just enough sweetness to pull it together. Good solid bitterness dries the palate with some lemon rind and lots of grapefruit. Good crisp carbonation, full mouthfeel.

This is a fantastic beer and an amazing IPA. Very citrusy in the west coast tradition. I've heard some comparisons to Pliny and they may be correct. Loved the big peach notes, worked well with the traditional citrus notes. Also loved it was in a can! Will definitely get some more.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Walked into the LCBO tonight and there was a full case sitting where some other shite usually sits. Grabbed an armful for fear it was a mirage and ran home and put one in the freezer and the rest in my beer fridge. Poured a one finger white head upon a beautiful orange amber body, lots of great lacing. The smell bursts out of the can, orange rind, grapefruit, pine resin. The taste follows the nose with a nice malt backbone balancing out the hops explosion. Mango and papaya notes. Medium bodied with some carbonation. Bitter but not overly so. Smooth and very sessionable even at 6.4%. Spectacular.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

355 ml green can, with the 'Red Racer' girl. Compliments of an in-person trade with stagger, Thanks again!
The color is deep orangish gold, slightly hazy. Bright white foam forms a thick head, sticky lace, thin ring lasted the entire glass.
Nice smells of citrus hops. Lots of grapefruit and orange come out. There is some bready malt present as well.
Taste has the same tropical fruity hops, citrus, pink grapefruit. Sharp and bitter, but still a bit sweet not burning. A bit of pine sap at the end. After the big hop flavors, the biscuit malty taste follows up to keep everything in balance. I would say medium body, moderate carbonation. Crisp, smooth, then dry in that order. Drinkability: great, wish I had more than one.
I tried not to let the hype surrounding this one cloud my judgement, but it is a great example of an American IPA. Tons of flavor, but not a one-dimensional bitter burner.
A fine Canadian-made beer, in a can? Beleive it.

Note to Self: #3 ranked Top Beer in Canada, Ranked #10 American IPA when I tried it.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Had this on draft in downtown Toronto at a place called Beerbistro. The beer was marketed as a West Coast style IPA so I had to give it a whirl. Overall I was very impressed. Great aroma and flavor. I'd love to snag some of these to take home. Great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Clear, amber-bronze with a white head, good retention & lacing.

S: Big piny nose, with grass, tangerine & rind.

T: Tangerine, pine, nectarine and citrus rind, with some underlying malty goodness (not sweet, just some quality malt protein). Certainly balanced to the bitter side, but it's not at all harsh with their soft water. Plenty of hop flavour here!

M: Well attenuated, moderate body is smooth with a hint of hop acidity.

D: A sessionable IPA for any hop lover.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours pale hazy amber-gold with a stiff, rocky head that leaves solid creamy sheets. Sinus clearing resin, orange and skunk nose - I'd be hard pressed to know I was sniffing fresh Centennial hops. Lemon sorbet and papaya malts - just enough to balance, the hops are trying to poke through from the start - with dueling pine, grapefruit and pineapple hops. Lingering citrus bitterness. Light to medium, creamy, soft and round, no burn.

Never seen every single angle of the C-hops working so well in the same beer. Brings hefty hops in both flavor and IBUs, yet somehow drinks as light as SNPA.

Reputation deserved - a bit of a wonder in a can.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Surprisingly clear for an IPA. With good helping of white head. Decent retention.

S - Blast of citrus (grapefruit) and pine and grassy hops, in that order. Hops dominate and nothing else really comes out.

T - Again, hops dominate with citrus and pine. Malt character is more detectable here, mostly rich with a bit of caramel.

M - Puckering for sure, with a good and smooth mouthfeel (other than the puckering, haha).

D - Highly drinkable. I've been drinking these for a while.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 355ml can into a nonic.

Thanks to my boss for bringing this back from BC for me - I haven't had it since Mondial earlier this year. I love this beer enough to use it for my first review...

A beautiful frothy head sits atop the clear coppery liquid. Everlasting lace runs down the glass as I delve into the pint. Fine beads of carbonation escape rapidly as I admire its presentation.

The aroma is racy, alright - quite strong and seductive to a hophead. Grapefruit is predominant but tropical fruit notes consistently waft from the glass. There is plenty of pineapple and mango here, sweet aromas with a trace of pungency and a light pine element. It's hard not to enjoy this...

Grapefruit carries the day from a tasting perspective. Juicy hop fruitiness is the primary flavour and a clean yet pithy bitterness follows in the finish. Exceptionally balanced for the style. Hops are the focus but there is so much more to savour. There is a very slight hint of sweet caramel malt , but it is well integrated and plays second fiddle to a dry breadiness. This is incredibly full flavoured and it's very hard for me to not drain the glass immediately; it tastes that pleasant.

Weighing in at 6.5% ABV and laced with hops, there's no doubt that this may be full bodied for some. As an individual who enjoys strong ales, however, I found this to be quite sessionable. The mouthfeel was right up my alley - not too slick, not too watery, and the alcohol is completely imperceptible. Its certainly luscious, though.

Hands down, this is the best Canadian IPA I've ever had. I've tried Stone, DFH 60 Minute, Sculpin et cetera and it is certainly in the same league as those venerable beers. My inclination is to give it a perfect score, but since I have no access to American micros to calibrate my tastebuds for this style I'll be slightly more restrained and conservative in my grading.

Congratulations to Central City for crafting such a fine beer - Red Racer IPA would be my everyday choice if it was ever available in Newfoundland.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

I've had this on tap and in growler...both are stellar and deserve the title of BC's best beer.

Appearance: Copper-yellow with a small, lasting head.

Smell: Verrry fragrant hops. You can almost smell the bitterness. A little grassy and definitely oily. A sourness comes through as well as a dark fruity malt richness.

Taste: Bitter and oily. A little bit of a spicy character. Not as citrusy as some other highly hopped IPAs. Just plain hop juice. This is what I imagine hop tea would taste like. There is a little alcohol as well in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Less carbonation than your average bottled IPA. Probably since this is a growler sample, but it's perfect. Extreme bitterness that goes unrivaled by other CDN IPAs. Dark, rich flavours pervade and a little bit of oiliness as well.

Drinkability: Very high. Alcohol is too high to session, but a few pints(with a designated driver) would be perfect. Great bitter character that isn't oppressive and doesn't leave you bored either.

Overall: Best IPA in BC? Yep! Can't get much better than this. Huge hop profile with strong malty richness to back it up. I'd love to try an Imperial version of this if the brewer was ever so inclined to make it :)

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Red Racer IPA looks good when held up to a bright summer afternoon sun; what appears gunky and smeared becomes a glowing, confident orange tone. The depth of its colour won't allow full fledged transparency but it becomes clear that its complexion is actually, well, clear. As for its head, even Michelangelo couldn't paint it any better.

The hoppiness in this bouquet is as big as an SUV. It is piercingly citric and has enough bitter resins to singe your nose hairs off. It has all the pungency of onions and reeks a little like them too. Fortunately, fruit factors in more heavily than vegetables and mango, orange and grapefruit would give this a most tropical air... if only they didn't smell so bitter!

If I could frame this taste and put it on my wall I would. It's like the most delicious creme brulee I can image - cream, sugar and vanilla custard - topped with candied grapefruit, orange zest and chunks of fresh mango. It is at once rich but light enough to be considered sessionable. And it has an almost spicy bite on the finish that is appreciably refreshing.

Red Racer IPA has the level of violent and gluttonous, tongue-splitting, palate wrenching bitterness that you'd expect someone like Quentin Tarantino would write for an IPA. Yet, curiously, it's irresistibly drinkable. On the aftertaste, the bitter, resiny, pithy flavours give way to more succulent, sweet tastes of caramel, cream and sugar. "Smooth" as they say.

This had a lot of hype precede it and often that means that it's bound to disappoint. With this one, however, I don't know that any expectations could exceed the quality and character of what is, for all intents and purposes, one of the finest, highly regarded IPAs I've tried. Don't try one - buy at least six. Trust me, you'll race through 'em fast enough.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer was poured out of a 355ml can with some cool art that depicts a racey redhead riding a bike. A nice copper colored brew with a small white head.

Smell of pine and some malt in the background. A sip brings a bitterness to the back of the tongue. The pine comes through in the taste, a very light citrus note, the malt is in there somewhere. The hop bitterness sticks around in the finish with a light mouthfeel.

This is a great IPA and probably the best IPA that is available in this area on a regular basis.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

A - amber, slight haze, moussy white head, leaves nice sticky lace behind.

S - piney, bitter grapefruit, very hop forward nose, very fresh/raw,

T - more pine and bitter grapefruit up front, barely balanced by the malt, tropical fruit too, lingering pine bitterness, very smooth hop flavour despite being quite agressive.

M - low carbonation, med light body, not overly creamy, light astringency from the hops, dry puckering finish really brings out the smooth bitterness

D - damn, I'm gulping this down while I review, superb stuff.

Before doing this review, I had brewed up a batch of barleywine. So when I first grabbed the glass of Red Racer IPA for an initial sniff I thought, "hmm, guess I didn't wash my hands very well, they reek of raw hops." Turns out my hands were squeaky clean, it was the Red Racer!

Ultra fresh, agressive pine notes are a tough thing to pull off properly, and Red Racer has done it flawlessly. This is about as hoppy as a single IPA can get without being an over the top mess. It's a straight up IPA, but there are lots of interesting hop flavours. I am very sad I only have the one can. More people need to know about this beer, it is easily the best IPA in Canada that has touched my lips!

Thanks to Canucklehead for the can!

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Pours clear copper/golden colour with 2 fingers worth of creamy off white head. Settles to a solid cap and leaves tons of lacing.

S: Piney hops and caramel malt. Might be a little citrus in the background.

T: Piney hops, grapefruit and some caramel malt. It has a hoppy and sweet finish.

M: Light to medium carbonation with a medium body. Very easy to drink.

D: Easily one of the best Ipa's that I've ever had. It wasn't short on anything. I could easily sit down and have a bunch of these. Makes for a perfect session Ipa. I'll be making this one a regular pick up.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Clear amber with a dense white head. Leaves nice rings of lace.

S - Pungent grapefruit hops. Hints of orange, pine and honey.

T - Big hoppiness and a well-balanced sweet malty backbone. Lots of grapefruit pith and a lingering aftertaste.

M - Slick, oily body. Moderate-light carbonation. Very smooth.

D - Good straight-up, hoppy IPA. Tasty and drinkable.

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) from Central City Brewers + Distillers