Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale) | Central City Brewers + Distillers

Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)Red Racer IPA (India Pale Ale)

Central City Brewers + Distillers
British Columbia, Canada
centralcitybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A style of ale that was fashioned to survive the long voyage from England to India during the British colonization. Hop, hops, and more hops! This ale has an intense aroma and a long lingering finish. A beer for the connoisseur, this is the Brewmasters choice.

Known as Red Betty IPA in the United States.

Added by canucklehead on 04-10-2009

Ratings: 1,095 |  Reviews: 489
4.21/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a truly outstanding IPA. The malt backbone is very prevalent but the super piney hop flavour cuts through it. This is not an entry level IPA - but it's awesome.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

4.44/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big ups to Jlindros for sending this along as an extra in a trade!

Comes in a rather cheeky green can adorned with hops and sporting a fetching redhead astride an old school bike that immediately makes me forget about Fat Tire. There's a red maple leaf on the can, an advertised 6.5% abv, and an illegible born on date on the bottom. Nice packaging overall.

A. This foams out of the can (???!) when I crack it, necessitating a hasty pour into my trusty Sam Adams glass. This can was refrigerated upright for days prior, so I'm not sure what this is about, but eventually I get it in the glass and it pushes up a crackling, big-bubbled 3 finger tall head that dies fast, leaving behind a clear, still, light copper ale. I resist the urge to make a joke about feisty redheads that lose interest fast, and move on.

S. Mmm, hops. Wonderful nose here, big (but not too big) citrus hop aroma expertly balanced with interesting and adequate malt. Picking up grapefruit, pine resin, semi-sweet malt and some sweetness. Hard to pin down, but rest assured this is Good Stuff. This is what real IPAs should smell like.

T. Surprisingly good! I can't recall any Canadian beers that were this hop-forward, but this is a winner all the way. As per the nose, a fine blend of sweet roasted malt and big, bold citrus hops works quite well together. Dangerously drinkable - I'm down to 2 inches left in my glass and I'm only half-way through this review!

M / D. Not much to say here - medium body, slightly low carbonation -- odd, considering how foamy this was at first - and boasts a fantastic finish, all low sweetness and wonderful, succulent citrus hops that are neither too bitter or astringent but rather fade away softly, leaving you wanting more. Grand stuff.

Red Racer was a real surprise from a brewery I knew nothing about. This can easily stand up to some of the the "classics" of the style, ie, SN Torpedo, Stone IPA, etc. British Columbia should be proud to have such a good IPA at their disposal, and I frankly would like a lot more of this. The best IPA in a can I've had? Maybe so....

3.38/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a clear copper with a finger of head. Aroma is a nice balanced mix of sweet maltiness and floral/citrus hops.

The flavor is bitter pine hops up front with a musty malt backbone. Not really as clean as a top IPA should be, that mustiness really lingers after each sip. I like the balance, there is just that one major flaw.

The body is medium and carbonation is at good levels. Drinkability is slightly above average...this would be a great go-to beer for me to have with a burger and fries, but on its own I wouldn't really seek out another.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Nothing better than a good IPA in a can! Red Racer IPA pours a hazy copper red with a foamy head that fades to a thin layer. The aroma is citrusy grapefruit and some resiny pine, with barleywine like hints of toffee. Grapefruit hits upfront in the flavor, but gives way long enough for some nice caramel maltiness to come through. The malt gives way to a nice heavy, resiny bitterness that lingers long after the beer is gone. It's funny now that I had to move back to New England (from Ontario) to get great beer from BC.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a hazy copper color with orange hues and lively bubbles of carbonation beneath the thin, off-white head that pretty quickly dissolves leaving only faint hints of lacing behind.

Very nice citrus hop aroma floating from the glass with other notes of pine, grapefruit, pineapple, and a sweet malty finish as well.

The palate is fantastic with a nice bity citrus hop punch with other notes of cedar, pine, grass, and perhaps apricot. The sweet malt is a bit subdued at first, but shows up a bit more as the beer warms.

This IPA is medium in body with generous carbonation and a nice hoppy bite to finish that leaves a nice oily coating behind.

A great IPA all around, tons of character, perfect for the style and delicious all the way through.

4.02/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Sam Adams tasting glass it exhibits a nice white head that fades after a few minutes leaving patches of floating foam, clear light amber beneath. Fresh and flowery nose filled with hoppy aromas then light malt is noticed. Light bodied but with assertive spicy hop bitters right off the bat then light yeasty fruitiness then the malt is tasted. It's a long and bitter finish, delicious and easy drinking thanks to the lightness of body. One of the better IPA's I've had in some time.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a cellar temperature can into a tumbler glass. The liquid has a light brown color. There is a lot of carbonation rising up from the bottom. The head is very big, foamy, and made up of tan bubbles. The beer has a great aroma. It's full of fresh hops and not too sweet. Maybe there's a bit of brown sugar or molasses, but it's hidden by all of the aromatic hops. The flavor starts out with some grassy hops and a touch of sweetness I could detect in the aroma. It builds up to a big bitter taste that lingers on after I swallow. It's piney and citrusy. It's a full bodied IPA and each swallow leaves a bit of a sticky coat, but not as much as some imperial IPAs (what I'm trying to say is this beer has the consistency of beer that usually has a sweeter mouthcoat). The carbonation is apparent on my tongue. This is an extremely drinkable IPA. I have gone through a number of cans in an afternoon, but I've also sat back and slowly sipped a single 12 ounce serving. This is an IPA any fan of the style should seek out.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass from a can. Cool looking design on the label, has a vintage 1950's look. The beer pours a yellow/amber color with very good clarity, only the slightest haze. Has a large white foamy head with no two bubbles the same size, very good lacing to it. Hops dominate the smell on this IPA, I smelled it from the can before pouring it and citrus hops attacked my nose as it warms up I believe I can detect a piney aroma as well. The taste is maybe just under par of the smell, but still quite good. Kind of one of those flavors where I wish I could give it a "4.25." Much like the smell it is the citrus hops that stand out to me. However I feel this is a very reasonably malted IPA because the initial taste is sweet. Again as it warms up the taste of pine is detected, but it also leaves an earthy taste that brings the flavor scale down only slightly. Mouthfeel is good, feels lighter than I expected, good bitter finish from the hops. Probably the most drinkable IPA I've had in quite some time. I'm giving the drinkablility a perfect 5, but this was a change in pace of what I'm normally drinking this time of year. IPA's are my summer stand by so I'd like to get more in the summer and maybe tweek this a little now that I think about it.

PS- Thanks to John from Granite Liquors on this one!

4.23/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L- PORUS A CLEAR, REDDISH-ORANGE, with a on-finger, white bubbly head. Plenty of carbonation.
S- Nice citrus smell with plenty of malt. A little of funk. Something wierd, It smells a little like many breweries do of ther spent ingredients and mash. I personally love it, many do not.
T- Actualy not bad. Good bitter hop quality in which resin sticks around. Citrus not overly done. A slight spice gives it more character. Just a little pungent funk.
F- Warming from the bitterness. Medium mouthfeel.
O- Probably the best beer I brought back from Canada.

4.23/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to zoso1967 for this tasty treat.

Pours yellow orange with a lovely white foam head 1 finger thick. The brew is clear showing off all of its carbonation. Lacing is very good leaving thick blobs above the liquid level.

Lots of orange citrus comes through in the scent. Ample malts back the citrus smells providing a muted balanced smell.

There is plenty of orange and grapefruit up front with a large malt backbone covering up a lot of the bitterness. The balance is superb.

Rich and creamy in the mouth with a full feel. The aftertaste is clean and is not too drying. It leaves my mouth feeling very satisfied.

This is a very drinkable brew worthy of high praise in its class. Definitely worth a try!

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

Served in a snifter

Thanks to hannydawg for sharing a fresh one of these with all present

This beer looks a touch on the pale side of golden, but there is a frothy white head that looks rather inviting. The aroma is quite hop-filled. I believe that there is a lot of amarillo hops on the nose, but I've been wrong before when naming hops. The taste is quite herbal and grassy with a touch of citrus finish. There seems to be what I believe is cascade hops for bittering. I find that I like the usage of cascade hops in most IPAs. This is a very good beer and I would go back for more if I could more often guarantee it's freshness.

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Color is copper and it is slightly hazy. Head has a soapy looks. The aroma intensity is average, I would have expected more intensity in the aroma. I get some citrus, grapefruits et pines. Nice. Smells like a good IPA. Taste is all grapefruits. Very good. Dry finish. Refreshing. Bitter. Wow excellent beer. Makes you want to drink more. Medium body. Overall, this is a true good IPA! Nicely done.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%