Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Barley's Alexander's Russian Imperial Stout | Barley's Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-16-2002

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

4.04/5  rDev -0.7%

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Barley's Russian Imperial Stout is Goooooood. It poured an opaque black with ecru head that left a spotty lace. The scent was sweet with roast. The taste had caramel roast base with hints of chocolate. The Mouthfeel was fuller in body with smooth carbonation. Overall this beer was excellent.

3.99/5  rDev -2%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.31/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Yeah, that's right, I gave this brew a perfect score.
I've been in 15 countries, had beers from several more as imports, and have measured every single one against Barley's Alexander's Russian Imperial Stout over the last 16 years. The truth is this particular brew was what I was looking for for years before I found it.
What does it compare to? Your first love.
Now, the high street location usually has a more robust finish than the Riverside Drive batches, but I'll bet I'm one of only a handful that would even notice. I prefer the High street version but the truth is either hits all the right spots....so I just pretend I'm dating twins and don't notice.
Years ago I would turn friends on to this brew bit I quit doing that because it seemed to not be as available after I gave away a few growlers to friends and I think I made some competition...so, coming from a palate that can discern Osetra, Sevruga, or Beluga, an eye that has found diamonds in Ohio waterways, this lone brew has been more satisfying than marriage.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

3.5/5  rDev -14%

4.34/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The most excellent Russian Imperial Stout from Barley's is worth the trip. Dark black with a solid head of tight beaded bubbles with good lacing. Coffee and chocolate on the nose with hints of crème brulee. Subtle coffee and bitter sweet chocolate up front, lots going on here. Crème brulee and chocolate in the aftertaste sprinkled with coffee. More aggressively hopped than in the past, but far from overly bitter keeping within the flavor profile of a RIS. One of the most memorable beers I have ever had that keeps me coming back to Barley's on my voyages up to Wooster Ohio. Enjoyed in a snifter.

Barley's Alexander's Russian Imperial Stout from Barley's Brewing Company