Barley's Alexander's Russian Imperial Stout | Barley's Brewing Company

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

A- black body with a tan head that sticks around for a long time.

S- roastiness and a little bit of chocolate

T-follows the nose. Roasty little bit of chocolate. Kind of bland.

M- medium body and smooth

O-good beer. Was hoping for more but it was still solid

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

Drank from standard pint glass on site as their cask selection. Very dark appearance which is typical for Russian Imperials with a very nice burnt cream head that lingered almost to the bottom of the glass. Smell was above average for an Imperial Stout with hints of wood and heavily roasted malts. Taste was, for me, very good for an RIS and was very smooth. As I am not really an RIS guy, but do enjoy stouts overall, I would say that this is a good example of the style but don't think I would be able to drink this very often unless I was pairing it with something very sweet to balance the bitter roasted characters...

3.27/5  rDev -19.5%

A- Looks real nice. Plenty of head with decent retention. It allows lots of lacing. The beer is obviously black with only a little bit of light coming through on the edge.

S- Smells a lot like just about every beer from them Ive ever had only a little more roasty. It isnt that big in your face smell of coffee chocolate roast and all that stuff you want in an imperial stout. There is a lot of grain with moderate roast. Its pretty weak here.

T- A little better but its still very much like all their other beers. This isnt really exploding with imperial flavors. A little bit of dark fruits, licorice, roast but mostly lots of grains.

Im a little disappointed. Ive had this before. It seems to have been better in the past. I like it on cask.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

On tap following the Crew game.

Pours dark brown-to-black -no real surprise there - with lighter brown, large bubbled head that quickly evaporated. Some lacing but not much. I suspect there's sanitizer on the glasses here as this was the story all night.

Roasted malt and coffee in the nose, on the palate, and in the finish. Dry mouthfeel (which I've been enjoying lately, so my results may be a bit skewed). Decent to good drinkability.

This R.I.S. probably won't be winning any awards but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. A good, solid beer, worth picking one up if you're in Columbus.

3.61/5  rDev -11.1%

I purchased a growler at Barley's yesterday. It came in a clear growler. It is black and when poured into a glass it produces an inch of brown head. The aroma has your usual suspects, chocolate, coffee, roasted malt. The taste is coffee and maybe some chocolate. I also get some faint hops. This is a nice thick beer. I'm on my second glass from my growler, and the drinkability is pretty nice. It is a solid beer. It's not a real stand out, but it is a good beer to drrink on a rainy 48 degree day.

Cheers!

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

I drank this on tap into a tasting glass.

The beer is a nice black with light brown in the light. The head is very nice, about 2 fingers high of medium tan heat that is just beautiful. It is full and creamy and lasts forever with nice lacing.

The aroma is light and sweet with chocolate, vanilla, toffee and caramel.

The taste is all malts, very very sweet, too sweet for me without it being balanced out by some nice hops at the end. Sweet chocoloate dominates the taste and you can also pull out some vanilla.

The feel is too light decently drinkable.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to bb8189 for sending this brew my way.
Spit it among friends in tulip glasses, the beer produced a nice finger of tan head on a black body brew.

The aroma was nice subtle roasted malt with a light chocolate note in the finish; there was no notice of the alcohol at all in the nose.
I must say that this was an easy brew to drink. The flavor was roasted malts but not to astringent to dry out your mouth. I enjoyed the balance of the sweetness that came from the malts as well. One person pointed out the British yeast flavor reminiscent of a Samuel Smith's but a ton better in my book. It had a medium to full feel in the mouth with good carbonation for the style.

It was an easy beer to session the alcohol was unnoticeable. I easily finished my two pours. If it was my local brew house I be proud of this one for sure

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

On tap at the Brewery last night. Poured into a clean, clear pint glass.

A Very appropriate, completely black body under a slight medium brown head. It looked like a glass of black ink.

S The darkest of the dark malts with some hops.

T Deep, dark malt with a sting of alcohol. All of that is expected and appropriate to the style.

M Thinner than the "pint of black ink" would suggest but this is a heck of a huge beer with high ABV (not listed but I would not be surprised if it were 10%) and deep, dark malt tastes.

D One and done for sure but that is what is intended with this style.

Notes: A nice RIS that I was not expecting from this well balanced Brew Pub in Columbus, Ohio.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast