Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Barley's Old Oscars Brown Sugar | Barley's Brewing Company

3.73/5
Good

Barley's Brewing Company
Ohio, United States
barleysbrewing.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Spring

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-16-2002

Reviews by mattcrill:
3.1/5  rDev -16.9%

I was initially intrigued but after drinking it, it just left me unfulfilled. I tasted too much alchohol and not enough of the nuances in flavor that I hoped to experience. Maybe I set my expectations too high. It was worth trying once but I wouldn't go back for seconds.

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

I'll agree with others, very outstanding session beer from Barley's! Arrived a deep copper/brown color with a slight tan head. Very clear, and slight lacing.

Sweet brown sugar tones, with a light hop bite at the end. Full body, with undertones of either carmel or toffee....not sure which. Takes a lot to catch my eye, but this fine ale was good enough to bring home 2- 1/2 gallon Growlers :)

3.88/5  rDev +4%

This beer pours out a nice dark amber color and didn't form much head. Has a slight aroma of brown sugar(which probably accounts for the darker color as well) Slight toffee and raisin taste as well as the slight brown sugar taste. Overall a fairly sweet beer, but it holds up well and has a nice finish.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

Firkin version at Barley's 2nd Annual Mini RAF (03/27/04): I wasn't as impressed with this beer's cask-conditioned version as with others during this event. The beer is a dark murky brown color with a medium tan head. The aroma is sweet maple and toffee, along with the telltale brown sugar. Medium-bodied and syrupy sweet, it appears the cask conditioning mellows out the hops bite in the normal version, making this a little too cloying with the sweetness. Same goes for the finish. Where the normal version is a great session beer, this one is just a little too much.

Barley's Old Oscars Brown Sugar from Barley's Brewing Company