Barley's Blood Thirst Wheat | Barley's Brewing Company

3.9

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

4.79/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I do not like Belgians (the beers, the people seem nice)
I do not like fruity beers very much.
I should not like this beer.
It is nearly perfect for what it set out to be. Possibly the perfect summer ale.

The orange notes are quite clean. Strong but not overpowering. The brewers found the perfect balance of the belgian yeast elements and the blood orange characteristics.

I had the beer at the source, Barley's Brew Pub, and was told they use imported Sicilian blood oranges. Never had one of those, but perhaps that is what added the "je ne sait quoi" that I enjoyed so much.

I am very rarely taking as surprise as I was with this beer. Is it sophisticated? Not so much. But the harmony of the Belgian yeast and the blood oranges is a simple pleasure that you should not deny yourself of.

I knew I would hate this beer. I am proud to say I don't know myself very well.

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

4.56/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.4/5  rDev +12.8%

Enjoyed at the Ale House on N.High St. before a Blue Jackets vs. Penguins game. Rating this beer very high for it's creativity with using a Sicilian recipe, incorporating blood oranges into the brewing and fermenting process. It is also one of the most drinkable beers on the planet, which was proven when my wife took a sip of mine while we waited for our table, and she actually ordered one with her meal! This is significant in the fact that she is not a beer drinker, and probably has not had a full beer in years.

Loved it, and will definitely order again when at the Ale House downtown!

4.37/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Poured from growler into tulip. Hazy bright orange with a single finger white head.
S- tons of blood orange, lots of grassy wheat, not much else but it smells citrusy and delicious
T- has a nice earthy wheat flavor, straw like, throughout. Lots of juicy orange without being too sweet or cheap tasting, small amount of lavender.
M- thicker than an ale but right on for a wheat ale
O- this beer is fairly one dimensional but it is one of my favorite summer beers offered in Columbus. The blood orange flavor is unique and does not over power the dryness of the wheat flavors. Buy a growler and share it on a nice warm day, you will not regret it.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

4.25/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

Blood Thirst Wheat pours a very hazy nectarine color. Backlighting gives it a peach colored appearance. A soft, white head covers the top. It's rather modest and rises to a little less than a finger tall. Retention was short, and lacing was on the light side.

The nose is rather impressive. It is relatively simple and straight forward, but it is good. There's no question that this was brewed with Sicilian Blood Oranges. The orange scent is dominant and resonates throughout. There are some ancillary earthy, grainy notes. Perhaps a little sweet malt is noted. While this is styled as a Hefeweizen, I'm not getting any banana or clove for that matter. Nonetheless, this works. I like the orange presence a lot.

The flavor is quite novel. I've never encountered such an interesting, yet tasty, orange flavor in a beer. Perhaps it simply works extremely well in the wheat style. Whatever the case...this is good. It kicks off with a light, sweet malt flavor. A strong orange flavor follows and takes over the entire flavor profile. It is grainy, and certainly earthy. Other than that, the typical Hefeweizen flavors are not present. In this case, that's okay. The orange flavor works far better than I anticipated, and I don't find myself missing banana or clove at all. A bit of a bastardization? Perhaps. Good beer? Definitely.

Blood Thirst Wheat is light bodied. Carbonation is light. It's smooth, refreshing, and a perfect summer beer. It goes down like a dream. Drinkability is very high. I won't finish this growler tonight, but I could. Easily. In fact, I'd rather enjoy it if I didn't have to work in the morning. Nonetheless, I'll save some for tomorrow.

It's my understanding that Blood Thirst Wheat was brewed by Lloyd Cicetti and was the winner of Barley's 2009 homebrewing contest. It's impressive. I didn't taste the other entries, but this one is certainly good. I like the novel approach to the Hefe style. Mr. Cicetti, if you're reading this, kudos to you! Now get back to work and brew more good beer!

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

on tap at Ale House #1. 8/15/11

The beer is a muddled tangerine color with a medium thin off-white head that recedes to an outer ring quickly. not alot of lacing on the glass. cloudy redish yellow color of a true blood orange. Aroma of sweet citrus and wheat. Light, clean body with flavors of citrus and tropical fruit, along with touches of sweet malt and wheat. whats usually in a wheat beer wasnt even noticed by me like the absence of spices or bananna. The finish is fruity leaving a taste for wanting more. overall this is a very easy drinking beer

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%