Barley's Wit's End | Barley's Brewing Company

Barley's Brewing Company
Ohio, United States
barleysbrewing.com

Style: Witbier

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by prototypic on 06-18-2011

3.5/5  rDev 0%

3.85/5  rDev 0%

Wit’s End pours a lighter, straw color. It’s a little hazy. Backlighting gives it a very pale gold look. A white head covers the top and stands about a finger tall. It falls back rather quickly, leaving a very, stringy lacing behind.

The nose is a little on the weak side, but isn’t bad. It’s quite earthy and grainy up front. Smells like it has a bit of a grassy hop presence. I like that. It does smell a little sweet, perhaps like candied sugar. Belgian yeast is noted, but isn’t all that strong. It adds some spicy pepper and maybe a little clove. Alcohol is buried. I’m not getting any.

The flavor is good. It is very earthy, grassy, and grainy throughout. It has a surprisingly strong hop presence. They’re very grassy and taste like noble hops. Not sure of the profile though. They do add a really nice, crisp bite. Belgian yeast adds some spicy notes of pepper and clove. There’s a sweet, candied flavor on the tail that’s a nice touch. Alcohol really isn’t noticeable at all. I don’t know what the abv is, but I’d guess somewhere in the 5% range.

Wit’s End has a very light body. Carbonation is a little active, but isn’t quite buzzy. Not a bad feel at all. This stuff goes down extremely easy. I probably won’t finish the entire growler tonight, but I certainly could. This would be perfect on a hot, summer day.

Wit’s End was the winner of Barley’s 2010 homebrewing contest. I did not have the opportunity to compare it to other entries, but it’s certainly good beer. It’s mostly consistent with the style, but does have a stronger hop presence than most other Belgian Witbiers. I like that. If you’re into Witbiers, grab some at Barley’s Ale House while it’s around.

Barley's Wit's End from Barley's Brewing Company