Smokestack Heritage Porter | East End Brewing Company

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 67 | Ratings: 118
4.37/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought the bottle from the brewery itself. Split it with another beer fanatic last night.

Poured it into my East End Brewing Co. pint glass

A - Black with not much head, but just a thin layer of caramel colored foamy goodness.

S - The smoke is just right. It is not overpowering as has been my experience with other smoked beers. It seems to be a more meaty like smoke. It almost brings out the other aromatics that should be present with a porter instead of stomping all over them.

T - The smoke is even better integrated than I thought. It enables the other flavor profiles to come out with slight coffee and chocolate being in the forefront. I get a slight berry type of taste, but that could be due to the chocolate presence. I cannot say enough how incredibly well the smoke is balanced in this beer. Not too much, not too little, just right.

M - Well carbonated feel. Slightly, and I do mean slightly, thicker than other porters I have tasted before. Which is great because I often find most porters to be slightly waters in mouthfeel.

D - GREAT beer. I would gladly pay the price they ask for this bottle over and over again. It was executed perfectly and I am proud to know the brewery is in the great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to irishevans and his father for trekking these up from the burgh.

Pours a nearly opaque black with the slightest ruby colors and a small white head that leaves little lace. Nose has some smoke and some roasted malt. Taste follows the nose, nice smoke flavor without being incredibly heavy or overpowering. roasted malts are present but dont overpower by any means. almost no hop bitterness at all. Aftertaste lingers. Mouthfeel is refreshingly thin for a smoked porter. I prefer them to be a little more viscous, but this is thin in a good way. Very easy to drink, unquestionably the most drinkable smoked porter I have ever had that still has some good solid smoke flavor in it. Although I do prefer Alaskan by a nose, this is a defenite good one from scott, pick it up if you can still find some. Thanks again to irishevans.

3.87/5  rDev -4.7%

Popped the top on this liter swingtop, thanks to my friend Paul. Excellent bottle art! I love swingtops!

A. Cool and clear dark nut brown, fine 3cm steady head, some lace too!

S. Mmm, ham! Bacony, smelly, smokey, peaty, hearty. The smoke here blows away most everything else. There is some fine roasty malt here, too.

T. Mmm, smoke.

M. Well carbonated, a bit slick, easy to drink a few....

D. If you like smoked beers, sure. Best drunk around a fire on a cold night with good friends and hot, yet bored, chicks.

Bottom line: This is a smokey, tasty American beer!

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Finally had a chance to get to EEBC's growler hours! Poured into a Perfect Pint glass from a swing-top bottle split between 3 of us. Formed a large 3 finger tan head that quickly dissipated leaving behind very little lacing. Very solid looking brownish black body that has amber edges when backlit.

Lots of smoke aromas on the nose (as expected). The smokiness is BBQ-esque, almost meaty. Undertones of coffee beans and roasted malts are also present.

The taste is similar to the nose...smoky throughout. The roastiness comes through in the middle and lasts through the finish.

Medium mouth feel with tight carbonation...slightly astringent.

Very drinkable...will be heading back for a refill!

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A tankard by the fire and the aroma of roasted meat wafting over us as we spin yarns about days gone by.
It's a dense black night, though a faint brown highlight can be seen when you look towards the fire, and a finger of head rose up for a bit and then dropped to a smattering.
Peat-smoke and ham fill the air, and the molasses dripping off of the ham into the fire creates a warm, caramelized-but-burnt sugar character. Settle a little deeper into that massive jacket, pull your loved one close, listen to the crackle of the fire.
Take a sip, and the baltic porter notes come out, while overwhelmed by the smoke filling our clothes with that campfire aroma that we will regret in the morning but that right now is the one speck of warmth in this harsh world. There's a bit of metallic in the finish, I suppose these tankards are probably giving us cancer or something, but the howling winds at our back cause us to scoot as cozily as possible to the fire, take care to move your feet every so often, don't want to melt your shoes.
When we first poured it, it was very carbonated, but a solid medium body showed through as it flattened... definitely one that we can drink all night, as the sweet alcohol and dark roasted grains come through and meld with the smoke, creating something that's delicious.
Clutch your loved one and whisper in her ear, there are few times in life more content than this. Enjoy the moment.

4.49/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours dark brown with a light tan head. Smell is super smoky, (kind of like a backyard BBQ with pork) and dominates the smell with other sweet characters. The smell is great and very inviting. The taste is driven by the smoke and tastes great. Other sweet flavors come through but that BBQ taste lingers on. The mouthfeel isn't as thick as I would have thought for a porter but is smooth and fits well for this beer. This one is a great drinking beer for just about any occasion and would obviously fit well for most backyard gatherings. I really liked this one, thanks to melanoidin for getting me a bottle. Cheers!

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

A - very dark with a fast falling dark tan head.

S - smokey but mild porter scent.

T - much like the scent, it is smokey but mild porter.

M - mild coating with slight tingle on the front sides of the tongue.

D - easy drinking and different enough that you would go for another.

4.19/5  rDev +3.2%

Large flip top bottle bought at the brewery for $15 and sampled among friends at City Beer Store in San Francisco. Very dark beer with minimal head pours into the pint glass, though some bubbling lace remains throughout the experience. Aroma does not smell like a porter at all... it smells like a meat house! I mean, I may as well be wearing a mask of pastrami... and this is all said in the best way possible. The smoked malts are all there are, and they smell delicious. The taste is just as meaty, like chewing on jerky (in a good way), though there seems to be lacking much more character than what the smoked malts bring to the table. Mouthfeel is somewhat thin and under carbonated and I refuse to blame this on the fliptop bottle. However, this is the smokiest, best rauchbier I've ever had and I want more. Now, damn it!

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

a close 2nd place to alaskan's offering, i bought three bottles of this limited ru brew, and didn't have the self-control to save even one to cellar. scott and richard did good with this one. incredible smokey aroma, and very powerful smokey finish to the taste, dark as a stout and a nice brownish head that was a pain in the ass to rinse out of my glass, in my opinion, better than this year's(2007) alaskan smoked porter(which i feel is usualy the smoked porter gold standard). i hope the fellas at East end make this a yearily thing.

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured from the flip top liter bottle with the awesome artwork, this brew is black with little to no head or carbonation. This looks as if it puts hair on your chest, which is damn near perfect for me.

Smell is at first like a barbecue pit and then the malts hit you. Smoked is accurate here.

Taste is damn good!! I can honestly say I have never had anything like this. Starts off with hints of coffee and then the smoke hits you. Very very good stuff. Even without the smoke, this would be a great porter. It could be because I haven't ever had beer this fresh, but I am extremely impressed.

Mouthfeel is good, medium bodied and no carbonation, mouth coating.

As for drinkability, I hope they have some more when I go down next, because this bottle won't last long.

3.86/5  rDev -4.9%

I need to make note that the bottle I tried was an 07 found in a crowd. Normally you need to go to East End to buy one of their beers with exception of catching one on tap at Piper's Pub. Regardless...

Thanks treyrab for sharing this one with me at a recent tasting.

Nothing to be thrilled about a very hazy dark brown that's visible around the edges. No head. What more is there to say?!?

Smells like a pound of roasted bacon that's simmered on the stove top for a few minutes, heck, hours. A very roasted malt scent is arising. Really smokey, nice burnt caramel malts, and some dry roasted coffee scents are pretty nice. It really does smell like a smoked piece of meat. Really nice job here scott, smells like anoter winner.

Some burnt caramel malts, a really smokey flavor produced by oak aging and burnt malts that really accentuate the smokiness involved here. Really creamy for a porter, some sweet chocolate taste really plays nicely with this interesting take on the style.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

1 L swing-top bottle purchased at the brewery...Great label!

Appearance: Deep brown, stout-like. Good caramel-colored head with some serious strength.

Smell: I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised that the smoke aroma didn't overtake it. The smoke is definitely there, but more as a background. Nice roasted malt and chocolate-like aromas predominate. The smoke background is a woody-like aroma.

Taste: I was again happily surprised that the smoke wasn't the only thing there. Initially, it seemed like I was tasting a bit of East End's Black Strap Stout, minus the sweetness. There is a strong roasty and cocoa flavor with a mild hop astringency. Woody smoke flavors lay in the background never trying to dominate things. A great overall balance.

Mouthfeel: Nice body and carbonation feel good in the mouth and on the tounge.

Drinkability: I really like it, but I can see this being over the top for some. Mostly smooth and balanced for a porter.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Smooth, clean, smoky and strong. Great f-ing beer.

Black into an East End pint glass, with deep brown head and good lacing. Just pretty, is all.

Toast, smoke, roast. All present in aroma with some bitter, piney hops. Very nice.

Full-flavor, with smoke and sweet malt up front, lingering Islay-style malt in middle and nice, biscuity malt at the end. Very good flavor experience.

Solid, dry-yet-full mouthfeel. Smooth, good drinkability. All parties on hand enjoyed this one.

Rob's bottom line: you like smoke? you like dark? If you like either you won't be disappointed. You like both, you're in for a treat. Go get some.

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Picked up a big bottle direct from the source @ East End's growler hours. I love supporting Scott/EEB's local brewing effort, but the price per bottle is tough. Although you do get $3 back when you return the bottle.

Pours black, and the look of it reminds me of all the constant BA debate: "What's the difference between a stout and a porter?" Smoky aroma delivers immediately. The taste is a little sweet up front but then the smoke comes around. I found the carbonation to be fairly high and the finish is dry.

In all it looks, smells and tastes exactly what a smoked porter should be. I was happy to be sharing the bottle, as I don't think I could knock back more than one. But it is a great take on the style and a good option if you're looking for a change from more traditional IPAs, stouts and lagers.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Smoked beers are by far my least favorite style but I gave this one a shot and was pleasantly surprised.

A – Black as night with a really nice 2 finger toffee colored head. Good retention and lacing.

S – Smoke and peat are really heavy first but then I get small hints of sweet malt and chocolate. There is also a very small hint of coffee present.

T – Smoke hits the tongue first followed by a very smooth milk chocolate, and roasted malt flavor. Smoke lingers in the aftertaste.

M – This is a medium to heavy bodied beer with good carbonation. All the flavors complement each other pretty well. It is drier than I anticipated but really nice.

O – Overall this was pretty good the smoke didn’t dominate like I expected which was nice. Not my first choice in brew but very drinkable.

1.82/5  rDev -55.2%

Unique is a good word to describe this. Maybe its just the style (this is the only one I have ever had of this), but I was really put off by this. It tasted like an ashtray, not a beer. VERY smokey. But smoke as in cigar smoke, not malty smoke. No hop/malt flavor or taste. Not worth it.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

1 L flip top bottle, featuring new artwork from Wayno, who brought you the fine artwork from The Ugly American. A smoked porter from East End??? Hell yes.

A - Plus marks for the original bottling and label artwork. Gotta say Im a big fan of the 1L swing tops. But enough on the packaging, what about the beer! Pours a supremely dark brown, with just the faintest bit of light peering through the bottom of the glass. Pours with a nice inch width head of tan soapy bubbles, receding to a skim of brown lace.

S - It's a smoked beer, it smells like .. smoke! But it is by no means a charcoal bomb. The smoke lingers in and out with a tangy sweetness that gives rise to some nice sweet chocolate malt.

T - A real nice porter backbone of dry bittersweet chocolate. The smokiness is there but serves as an accent and does not dominate the flavor at all. A hit of fresh green grassy hoppiness arrives for the finish.

M - A nice light porter body with a good base of carbonation.

D - An extremely well-crafted porter, even without the smoke aspect, which just takes it to a new dimension. Not sure what the alcohol percentage is but I don't image its over 6%. Very flavorful and refreshing.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last