Monkey Boy | East End Brewing Company

Style: Hefeweizen

Availability: Spring

Added by jasonm on 03-22-2008

1.48/5  rDev -61.4%

Perhaps the bartender served me the wrong beer, but this is not a hefeweizen.
Decent pale wheat ale.

1.55/5  rDev -59.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Had this on tap at Rivertowne Pub and Grille.
I'm really hoping this was an improperly stored keg that had gone a bit bad but going by some of the other reviews I'm not sure.

Poured a cloudy, hazy yellow. No head. No lacing.
No hefe smells. Smelled funky and sour and of hops.
Tasted of sour pineapples.
Moderate to high carbonation. No alcohol burn. Very sharp.

I've brought this up with Scott. Fingers crossed that this is a bad keg, if not, this is an abysmally bad hefe.

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

2.82/5  rDev -26.4%

Had this at beer tasting at Rock Bottom in Homestead. Later took a growler home to try it again.

A: Brighter than I expected. Slightly orange and pretty opaque. Carbonation was a little off so minimal head.

S: Citrus and wheat. A little of the banana but it was masked by the bitter wheat smell.

T: For a beer called Monkey Boy I was a little surprised at how much I tasted orange. Maybe it was the color but a sour tang was all over my tongue at first then there was clove and finally the end of it was a little fruity and sour.

M: A little flat (might have been the keg) and tart, not terrible though.

D: Well, for a beer that is well received I was a little let down. I might try it again directly from the brewery but I was not impressed. It did grow on me as little as I finished off the growler, but as far as El Hefe goes, I think there are better recipes.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.37/5  rDev -12%

Had this at The Map Room in Swissvale, PA.

Poured into a mug: Pale golden-yellow with just a wisp of head.

Nice banana & clove smell, sweetly spicy.

Taste is moderate lemon & subtle banana up front, some bitterness, then flattens out & turns very dry. Just kind of loses its flavor mid-way through. Hmm, mineral quality in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel has a nice tingle & some active foam with a swish of the mouth.

A little surprising -- I've had plenty of Monkey Boy in the past & liked it, but this is lacking something. Just drops the ball mid-swallow & really loses flavor. Maybe fresh from the brewery is the way to go.

3.44/5  rDev -10.2%

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

First had: on tap at the brewery

This is one of their more popular beers, but honestly I didn't care for it too much. Still good, I just have to be in the mood for wheat beers, even fine hefeweizens. Pale straw-yellow pour, cloudy, with a puffy white head; decent retention and lacing. Light wheat essence in the nose, banana and clove typical of the style. More of the same in the taste, biscuity wheat, banana, clovey spice. Pretty light body, close to medium, fairly drinkable, just not for me on the day in question.

Monkey Boy from East End Brewing Company