Miller Fortune | Miller Brewing Co.

poor
Miller FortuneMiller Fortune

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

"Spirited Golden Lager. Open Pandora's Bottle."

Added by RonaldTheriot on 01-15-2014

Reviews: 167 | Ratings: 774
3.64/5  rDev +36.3%

I will start with this: I am in no way am double choco ipa whatever you have beer that's one off and $12 for a 4 pack of 6-7% abv beer. I like beer (dark lagers the best). I do not care for over hopped and over flavored beers. Hell, I like putting a lime wedge or two into my Modelo Especials or Corona Extras. This rating is to my taste.
Miller Fortune: made by the people who brought us Miller Lite (my favorite macro light beer). This beer is not bad. The bottles I have are dated JUL0416. I got a 6 pack for $7.49 a week ago (not a big seller in Jacksonville I guess) and now I'm trying it for the first time since I've been 21.
The is beer is actually not bad for the price. It's pushing 7% abv, damn near double your average light beer for $1.50 more a 6-pack. It has a malt start (reminiscent of Shiner Bock but a bit more tarty, but somehow sweet still), followed by an alcoholic bite (hardly) and finishes somewhat grainy, somewhat hoppy (barely). It leaves a small aftertaste for a few seconds and leaves. It tastes like beer, is moderately priced, and packs a punch that some wines don't even add up to. And dare I say, it's not $12 for 4, but 2 extra beers for $4.50 less? Yes, I will buy this beer again, but not often. It's not that it is a bad beer, it is a very good attempt from Miller, but Budweiser Black Crown is the class this beer is in, and Bud Black, to me is slightly better. It could be because the Millers I got were old and Bud Black has always been over a month from their freshness date, I don't know. But I will definitely try this brew again once I find a fresher bottle. Overall a 4.0. I take it over any ipa (aside from Shiner Wicked Ram, which is less available than this) any day of the week, and for a fraction of the cost of the more pricey double minute whatever the fuck ipa's.

3.3/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The beer is golden and clear. You can see the carbonation rising quickly to the thick white head that disappeared rather quickly. You can smell the strong scent of alcohol with some spicy hops and a bready malt smell. I get a sweet bread flavor followed quickly by strong alcohol flavor and then a spicy hops flavor to balance it out. I don't sense any complicated flavors. The beer is light bodied and the finish is moderate. The carbonation combines with the spicy hops to really make a nice mouth feel.

2.92/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Why, oh why, did they bother?

I've said this before, Hell, I've even said it in public . . . this stuff actually tastes good, for what it is. What it isn't is cheap enough (around here anyway) to tempt me to try more than the few I've already had. Good effort, no cigar.

Buy the cans only, if you must.

2.88/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Murky, reddish brown, with small off white head that disappears rather quickly, spotty lacing

S: Booziness, maybe some spice or stone fruit, also getting a caramel malt smell

T: That sweet caramel malt comes in right at the beginning. After you drink it down and some air hits your mouth I get that stone fruit that I smelled, a sweet aftertaste that Im betting comes from residual sugar they add to up the ABV.

M: Medium, sticky aftertaste

O: Not the worst beer Ive had but not the best. Just didnt do it for me. Not horrible and I would drink again if someone gave them to me but probably wont be going out to buy it again.

3.81/5  rDev +42.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

For a relatively cheap macrobrew rated at 6.9% abv, this is most definitely an underrated beer. It tastes much better than Bud Light Platinum (6.0% abv) and is also slightly cheaper. I am no way saying this is a top of the line beer, but considering its cost, availability, unique bottle design and it's taste, I feel obligated to give it a relatively high rating. Don't let other reviews fool you, this is a beer you should at least give a shot if you are more tailored towards party drinking.

2.39/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It is what is, a malt liquor. Dull, almost non-existent head, orange gold in color, smell is pure malt. Taste is saltine crackers, flat bread. No bitterness, just bread.

2.55/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured at 42°F from a 12oz bottle (best by 15Feb16) into a Pilsner glass. Consumed 19Jan16.
LOOK: Pours with with two fingers worth of off-white that grows two and a half fingers worth after 50 seconds. At 3 minutes, the head has dissipated into a finger and a halfs worth, leaving behind a miniature foam plateau as they center of the foam is still at two fingers worth. Gold in color with an abundance of small and medium-sized rising bubbles. Lacing is high quantity and both thick and very thick.
SMELL: Strong aromas of car exhaust and hand soap are backed by subtle sweet bread malt and spicy hops aromas. This is the worse smelling beer I have ever smelt. Lets see if it's the worst tasting....
TASTE: The initial taste is of strong sweet bread flavors that are immediately followed by subtle flavors of alcohol. I'm surprised that at barely 6.9%, that I can taste the alcohol. I've had beers at 10% that have hidden their alcohol better than this. Mild bitter and spicy hops flavors enter lastly and bring balance to the sweetness as all previous flavors persist.
FEEL: Medium-bodied and moderately carbonated. Goes down somewhat smooth. Finishes with a moderate dryness.
NOTE: I can sort of dig this. Maybe. Just a little. Okay, not really.

1.79/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Miller's attempt at wooing the craft beer crowd. Perhaps in some circles it would be a good beer. Look was a typical red lager. Smell was decent, unlike some other Miller products. Only the faintest hint of corn, or what appeared to be corn. Taste was firm, with the alcohol coming in at the tail end of the sip. I'd say I'd give it a go around again, but it might take me a while to get to it.

2.91/5  rDev +9%

It's cheap, I found it for 5.50 a sixer. It smells like a miller product. Looks like a much better beer than it is. Keeps zero head and I'm pretty sure the only lacing I see is accidental saliva. It reminds me of old English 800. For real. Miller brews that too. This beer has one saving grace. 6.9% alcohol and it ain't a malt liquor and it ain't a crafty 13buck six pack. It's worth a try. It's definitely not a drain pour.

3.92/5  rDev +46.8%

This by far my favorite American brewski. Most bang for the buck. Taste is best if it is ice cold, otherwise its horrible! I like it and I have drank a lot of "great beers' from craft breweries. Be careful, it will go to your head in a hurry, heavy alcohol content.

Just drink it and shut up!

3.15/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The Fortune from Miller I think is better than the 64 rating it is currently receiving. The beer pours a golden clear with thin white head that is not lacing. The scent is faint, but average for beers of this style. The taste starts as a nice robust American pale lager then the finish is a bit medicinal as the higher abv becomes noticeable. The mouthfeel is medium in body with above average carbonation. Overall its ok.

This is a great beer, similar in taste to the German Mai Bock beer. It has a smooth, malty taste (with no bitter after taste) and is an exquisite chaser to tequila. Please never stop brewing this beer. It is by far my favorite among all of the American beers.

3.49/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

well since it's halloween eve i decided to get some beer but not the same crap i normaly drink. i was looking and thinking of getting some bud light platinum but when browsing saw it was 50 cents cheaper and .9% more alcohal than platinum. 7.49 for a 6 pack is quite expensive for but hey it is a holiday. it dosent have much of a smell which is a plus becuase im not a big fan of the smell of beer. i drank from bottle and it is a pop-off non twist.

considering i don't like miller high life or regular miller i had to debate weather to get it or not. it gose down quite smooth unlike most of the other beers i drink. by far this is the best "miller" beer i tried. it looks like beer, hopefully nateral colours and not toxic yellow 5 and brown coloring, i would rather drink an ugly-looking beer and knowing the fact i'm not being poisoned (exept by the alc ofcourse) overall if you want to spend a little more try a 6 pack.

2.19/5  rDev -18%

Bright reddish amber with pinkish hues. Head is off-white and retains fairly well. Bready-sweet, estery smell. In general, not too far off from any number of other Miller products, or red lagers for that matter, but sweeter. Reminds me of a malt liquor. No skunk. How could there be? That is one dark bottle that I poured this from. Very grainy, especially in aftertaste, but sweet as expected, nearly cloying. Taste is a little off perhaps, with apple and banana-like esters detectable but not intolerable, definitely not just the alcohol I'm tasting. Fuller end of light in body, watery. Medium sudsy carbonation is there, but fades fast. Fairly smooth. It's even warming, but that just doesn't work with this style unless you appreciate that as part of getting buzzed. Heaven knows, I do, from time to time, but not when I'm trying to get to know a beer to so that I can share it with the world. Last time I purchased this it was $6.99 and I had a $2 off coupon. For someone as broke as myself, that's well worth it, but it's still a lower-tier beer.

3.19/5  rDev +19.5%

12oz Bottle. Initial response was I liked bottle, kind of odd shape. Turned off that it wasn't a twist off. Date code was listed; Oct 26, 15. I liked the color when poured, slightly darker than MGD or High Life. Smell is more hoppy, Poured nicely with nice slightly darker head, but proper. Looked good in my glass. Smell was slightly more yeasty than I prefer, but acceptable for a higher alcohol beer. Initial taste was more Miller. If you don't like Miller beers, you won't like this. I do like Millers, and I prefer the slight hint of sweetness they give in their beers. This one is obviously a little stronger than their more commercial brands, and the flavor shows. The bottle I had was not chilled properly, served at 55F. I prefer my beer slightly lower, at about 45F. This may explain the higher hops smell. Overall I do like it, and would purchase it again.

2.31/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Pours a redish amber color with a 1/2" white head. Smells kind of skunky, don't know if its the age of my bottle or not. Has good carbonation. Initial taste is actually kind of bland with an alcohol aftertaste. The more I sip on it the less I like it. If this is Miller's attempt at a craft beer they failed very badly. Taste like a macro light beer with a shot of liquor in it.

2.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Reminds me of Ying premium with a better finish. Brooklyn lager at about the same price is a much, much better value. Too many other good beers a similar price point to buy again.

3.61/5  rDev +35.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

I didn't really know what to expect when I opened the first bottle. The first thought that came to mind was that it is a really smooth beer. I don't think it's as bad as a lot of people are saying. It is a decent beer.

3.05/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Last of the stragglers!.

I've seen a lot of bashing on here.already since it is a BMC product, so let us see how it goes.

Look - Poured from a24 oz. Can into a pint glass. Copper with a large moderately paced failing head that leaves no lacing. Prettier than it sounds really.

Smell - Whew, met by the typical adjunctness up front which gets overtaken by some toasted malt that fills up the senses.

Taste - Toasted malts and candied apples on the forefront with a touch of smoke and a slighty sour finish as it heads down the throat.

Feel - Medium and dare I say...moderately creamy bodied with little to no carbonation.

O - Alrighty then. I've had worse ambers out of far more renouned breweries. Miller did something right with this one. No home-run as far as craft goes, but a solid drinker and at $1.69 for a 24 ouncer you have no reason not to try it

3.03/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I enjoy this beer on a hot day. It has a high abv which will get you a decent buzz for a cheap price. Definitely a better choice than the lower shelf beers.

2.37/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a mug. The bottle date is exactly a year and a day old. Some smartass put this in my fridge during a bottle share and ive been neglecting/ignoring it for a year now. It pours an amber color with a white head that froths up and dies quickly. Some rising bubbles maintain a fine ring around the perimeter of the glass.

This smells like caramel candy upfront with a backing of the familiar adjunct lager corn character. A mild fruitiness rounds things out. The taste is sweet like caramel candies, a touch of sulfur, corn and mild fruity alcohol tinge. Pretty much a dull reiteration of the nose.

This is medium bodied and moderately carbonated. It feels smooth and could be easy drinking if adjunct lager is your gig. I find the combo of caramel, corn and sweetness to be terrible and not something I would want to buy...ever.

This beer demands a frosty mug and near slush temperature to be best enjoyed. This is the kind of beer that I put in the freezer with a mug, go mow the yard for hour, sit down all hot and sweaty on back porch and pour a nice sweet aroma, golden, malty goodness Fortune. It's delicious when enjoyed in the proper context.

Trying to compare this beer with hearty winter stouts and bochs is obscene. Beer has to be appreciated for what it's for. I've tried bochs in the context described and they don't work. This is a summer beer, it's working beer, it's a get me through the yard work beer. In taste it's pretty much an alcohol boosted Miller Lite and that's perfect for me. In the right context.

I treat beer like wine, I've drank enough varieties that I know which beer would taste best for the moment.

2.4/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Initial pour surprised me, it came out a slightly darker golden color than I had expected. Had a pretty white head that disappeared quickly. Smell was simple. It was corny, slight bready-ness and veggie. Taste was simple and sweet upfront. Had a malty bit of business to it. Steamed veggies and hardly any noticeable alcohol tinge. Feel was thin, fairly decent carbonation but didnt make me burpy. Overall its very sessionable on a hot day. With little to no alcohol presence it makes it one worthwhile if you can get it for the price I did. $5.49 a six pack.

Worth trying, share it with some friends. Higher alcohol content for the bums budget. It was actually a little bit better than I had expected.

3.51/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a real malty smell, OK smelling not great.
Appearance- A dark amber color with a small white head.
Taste- A corn and malt flavor that was pretty good.
Palate- A medium bodied, highly carbonated beer with a creamy texture
Overall- Not a world class brew, then again it wasn't brewed to be, it is an inexpensive session beer that has a high ABV. You get what you pay for and this is great for tailgating.

1.15/5  rDev -56.9%

Absolutely horrible beer. Bought a six pack, drank 2 and gave the rest to a homeless person. I appreciate good beer but by no means am I a beer snob. This stuff was awful.

Miller Fortune from Miller Brewing Co.