Red Dog

Notes:
View: Beers
Reviews: 197 | Ratings: 787 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
DADZIG83 from Pennsylvania

Red Dog is the shit. 30 pack from roger Wilco in pennsauken was about $21.00. Looks great, smells amazing, tastes even better and then it feels so good. Red Dawg. Признайся!

Jul 18, 2019
JimboBrews54 from Michigan

Better than a lot of ice beers. That is not saying much, this is still awful in almost every way shape and form. The only thing that separates this is that it actually tastes somewhat like beer.

May 09, 2019
Buckeye55 from North Carolina

1.96/5  rDev +0.5%

I will give this beer one thing, it went down smooth. Unfortunately it is not as smooth coming back up. First time I got drunk on this, I puked. Thinking it might not be the beer, i got drunk on it again. Same result, I cannot think about this beer without wanting to retch

Apr 30, 2019
cardfan212 from Minnesota

3.22/5  rDev +65.1%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Drank from a 12 ounce can. Score is based on the style.

Look - Weird and scatterbrained. The light background picture of the Plank Road Brewery building is on a weird slant, as is the bulldog picture, which is on par with all the millions of high school bulldog mascot pictures. The claim of "uncommonly smooth" is bold, and I wonder just how true it'll be.

Smell - Yep, smells like a beer. Very corny with that air of wet grain. Nothing much of note here, but nothing bad either.

Taste - The essence of beer. Like the smell, it's exactly what comes to mind when you think AAL. Very mild and balanced, sweet but not overly sweet, just enough earthiness without tasting dirty. Don't think I'd ever turn down a can if I was offered one.

Feel - Surprisingly little carbonation with a light-medium body. It truly is uncommonly smooth.

Overall - A random cheap beer that's good and hasn't been picked up by the hipster crowd yet? This is a true rarity.

Feb 05, 2019
superspak from Michigan

3.68/5  rDev +88.7%

24 ounce can into lager glass, best before 6/4/2018. Pours crystal clear medium golden yellow color with a 1 finger fairly dense and fluffy white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of cracker, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light corn/pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. A touch of fruity aromas, but not overwhelming. Nice and pleasant aromas with pale malt/grains and light-moderate earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of cracker, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light corn/pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Light-moderate herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of cracker, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light corn/pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice robustness and balance of pale malt/grains and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance, and zero cloying/astringent flavors after the finish. Moderately crisp/clean finishing. Perfectly clean on lager flavors, with zero yeast notes present. Light-moderate increasing dryness from bitterness and carbonation. Medium-high carbonation and medium body; with a very smooth, moderately bready/grainy, and fairly sticky balanced mouthfeel that is great. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 5%. Overall this is a nice pale adjunct lager. All around nice obustness and balance of pale malt/grains and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; very smooth, crisp, clean, and refreshing to drink. Very flavorful and not watery for the ABV. Very clean pale malt/grain flavors, and nice earthy hop presence for the style. Really nice barley presence, and not overdone on adjuncts at all. A nicely enjoyable offering, and well made style example as expected of Miller.

May 12, 2018
connecticutpoet from Connecticut

2.19/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Appearance – Clear yellow beer with a thin layer of head.

Aroma – Light hoppiness but not very distinctive.

Taste – Funky, like a draft beer in a keg. Not sour funky, more like a little old or lightstruck.

Mouthfeel – Somewhat thin.

Overall – Not a great beer by any means

Feb 27, 2018
briandschorr from North Carolina

1.66/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

This beer was my first beer at some college bar in Northridge, CA many moons ago. Hey, I was 18 and just starting to explore the beer world. So... The color is a straw yellow. Carbonation was practically non-existent. The nose was basically like corn meets the smell of cut grass; that was sitting in the lawnmower over the weekend. Taste... well, there is a reason that this beer is weak. The taste was water mixed with a bland element of corn flakes. Very little else. Sad. Mouthfeel is watery with nearly no carbonation. Overall, not a strong beer.

Aug 29, 2017
TPZEM from Illinois

2.23/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a golden straw yellow. Thick creamy head that dissipates quickly. Smells of corn and not really much else. Tastes almost the same with a very watery mouthfeel. What can I say about the beer that everyone has had? It's not good. It's not even really bad. But it's a throwback to the 90's and tastes more of nostalgia than flavor. Not really good for a hearty tasting event, but if you are just looking to drink cheaply tonight, this beer is for you.

Jul 30, 2017
petersonnic from Wisconsin

1.61/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

The worst beer I've ever come across. Will never buy it again. If it was in my fridge, I'd probably throw it out to make room for Busch Light. It's that bad.

Jun 15, 2017
NateDyk47 from Michigan

2.04/5  rDev +4.6%

The only reason I'm not rating this a 0 is because I followed this up with Icehouse Edge, which was somehow much worse than this. Not a fan of the beer, but $1.00 24oz cans ain't too shabby

Mar 02, 2017
SebastianMandeville from New Jersey

1.25/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Buddies and I used to drink this madness when were underage and had no choice. Now I wouldn't even serve it to prisoners at Gitmo because it would be too cruel a torture.

Feb 21, 2017
workingclassbrew from Wisconsin

3.32/5  rDev +70.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Been waiting to find a 40 or something of the Dog, I didnt want to spend the cash on a 30 can case. Red Dog was one of the first I branched out to in the early 90''s after my many cases of my go-to Blatz returnables. Finally found a 24oz can for a $1.69. Ha this is gonna be good.

Start this of with a shot of Early Times to "cleanse the palate". Lets crack this can into a lager mug., to see the sights!...Typical pale gold lager. Grainy, faint metallic aroma.

I threw this in the freezer for 20 minutes out of the garage. So far, light, smooth on the tongue. I remember seeing the billboards in Madison before this came out, of course the bulldog caught my eye. It was popular around town for a bit. So far, so good, Nothing spectacular, but easy drinking. Letting it warm a bit. Nice to drink from the 24. Nice touch of sweetness, but just a bit, very smooth, low carbonation. Easy to put away a few of these....memories, can hear the ladies from Xscape singing in the background from our early twenties, good memories, good brew.

Jan 25, 2017
JohnnyHopps from Indiana

1.72/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Appearance – The beer was yellow with almost no carbonation.

Smell – The beer smelled of old dry grass.

Taste – Like a restarant that throws fruit or vegetables into water to give it a hint of taste, this taste like water with a bit of hay.

Mouthfeel – So there is almost no carbonation, and it feels like water.

Overall – I remember drinking this with Jalepano Krunchers regularly in the mid-90’s. Thank God those days are gone.

Oct 24, 2016
Schlitz74 from Illinois

1.25/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Poured from a 24 oz. can, it pours your typical pale yellow color, and has very little head. It is not very good, it is watery and bland tasting. Nothing special here.

Oct 15, 2016
Squire from Mississippi

1.45/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Who comes up with these names? I've never once seen a red dog.

But then I've never seen a Leprechaun wearing a green hat either. Or the St. Pauli girl in person. Ah, imagery. I suppose the Big Bad Dog is to conger up thoughts of manly drinking but real men don't drink labels, real men drink what they like. This stuff is lightly colored, lightly flavored (what flavor there is) and is beer by definition only. I don't know where we came across it but didn't remember drinking it until seeing it listed here.

I don't know anyone I dislike enough to force this on them. Now I remember why I couldn't remember it.

Apr 14, 2016
rodbeermunch from Nevada

2.11/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

While it does have great clarity, this beer also has that because of the lack of ingredients in it, its easy to have lots of clarity when you don't have lots of hops or malt in the beer. Here we are. Yellow, white head, 1/2". The aroma was offputting, some barley, but also lots of metallic hydraulic fluid remnants.

Bitter noble hops? Or high alpha acid long boil? Too much bitter for no hop flavor. Pairs well with bars that smell already.

Not impressed.

Feb 24, 2016
Swillman from Minnesota

2.76/5  rDev +41.5%

I guess I am not a cultured beer drinker, (t here are cognac beer drinkers and regular beer drinkers) hence my user name of Swillman. I am 51 years old and thus have been drinking beer a long time. Hey, I started out on PBR pisswater, but I digress.

Most beer I have drank over the years is a pale or medium dark yellow. The pour was what I was expecting. The head did dissipate quickly, but I personally prefer that...never been one to like the foamy taste of beer.

The smell was a beer smell. Grains and hops. Yeah, buddy. The taste was light from the moment it hit my mouth and finished very smooth. How smooth? I like Natural Ice a lot and I drink it quite slowly. Red Dog was to smooth for it to be my regular beer because I ended up hammering it. Before I knew it I had drank 4 of them in the space of 90 minutes and was nicely toasted.

My attitude toward beer is the same when I was smoking, I don't spend a lot for my vices. You spent $25 for a premium brand name and got one case? I spent the same amount and got 2 30 packs of Red Dog... and a case and a half more.

I like the taste. I lived in Wisconsin for over 40 years. Maybe the beer that you compare to your local beer is a required taste. I drank MGD for years. It is not as good as MGD, but it is good by itself.

Jan 09, 2016
KACK1533 from Massachusetts

1.41/5  rDev -27.7%

This is corn water. Mouthfeel was disturbing, as it coated my tongue with something that felt greasy. It didn't give me the shits, but it did give me indigestion and I was belching this up for hours. Found it at some hole in the wall liquor store near St. Louis and decided to try it. When I was younger I remember the advertising for it, but that's neither here nor there. Avoid this as if it were the bubonic plague. The head dissipated into nothing moments after I poured it into my glass, nary a lace to be had. Smell was stale gym locker room after a football team has careened through it, leaving their equipment all over the place. This was so bad, not even my uncle wanted some, and he drinks just about anything when it comes to beer.

Jan 09, 2016
dontgimmeheadachebeer from Delaware

1.33/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

God awful brewski. If you want a headache and the shits, this is the beer for you. Only suitable for your guests whom you want to get rid of, or get even with. This is NOT the 'Nectar of the Gods'. I've been throwin' 'em down the hatch for many years, and this has got to be right up their with worst.

Dec 28, 2015
DrainBamage from Michigan

3.06/5  rDev +56.9%

Pours a slightly golden color with a thin lace of head. Slightly sweet adjunct aromas. Not much taste, but not really any adjunct flavor either. Goes down quite smooth, slightly dry. I reviewed this poured in a glass, but I'm giving this a 5 for overall, because for some reason it's much better out of the can and it's the only good macro/adjunct beer I like.

Sep 18, 2015
Roguer from Georgia

2.83/5  rDev +45.1%

Not terrible; less sweet than typical BMC swill. Still certainly hop-barren and slightly over-sweet, but pretty drinkable. The drinkable but almost full mouthfeel is actually one if this beer's best qualities.

Jun 28, 2015
hoptheology from South Dakota

2.96/5  rDev +51.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Had this back in the day, and this may be one of the only macro adjuncts I've never reviewed. So I bought a six pack of cans for $4 and here we are.

Appearance : Pale straw golden body, mostly transparent. The head is nice on this beer, and stays around awhile. I'm measuring two fingers, and eventually it dwindles down to a very foamy ring. Delicate and sparse lacing on the sides of the glass.

Aroma : Like any typical miller off-brand lager. Much like Milwaukee's Best. Lots of corn, chemical, clean water, faint hop leaf, skunk.

Taste : It's actually not bad. A light baked grain flavor hits first, followed by some faint vegetal hop, and ends crisp and a little bready with biscuit and crust. It leaves a dried pilsner flavor on the palate.

Mouthfeel : Light bodied, very carbonated, ends slightly pasty and dry.

Overall : For $3.99 it's a decent beer. I wouldn't spend much more than that on it though. At this point to me it's better than High Life. It's got some toasted bread crust flavors and I like that. Try it, you might just like it.

Mar 27, 2015
Mtcarini from New York

4.84/5  rDev +148.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

When the ancient Babylonians first conceived of alcohol they could scarcely have conceived that craft brew would reach such heights. In a word, Red Dog is magnificent. Cosmopolitan yet accessible. Pedestrian but somehow suave. Red Dog is the great equalizer, taking the complex flavor and exquisite texture of an expensive craft Beer but offering it a price point that puts it firmly in reach of the average 8th grader. If you drink no other beer before you die, drink a Red Dog.

Mar 11, 2015
mfnmbvp from Illinois

1.96/5  rDev +0.5%

12 fl oz. can, with best by date September 15, 2014 printed on the bottom of the can. Gifted to me from a friend, who acquired it as part of the 30 rack. Another brew from the bottom of the barrel from Miller Brewing Co. Expectations are beyond awful.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - It pours the usual typical clear piss water straw color. Two to three fingers of bubbly white head with an aggressive pour that dies down to nothing quickly. No lacing. Doesn't look like much, doesn't look terrible; it is what it is. 2.5

S - The smell is virtually nothing. Cooked cereal grains and malty adjuncts with a mild hint of solventy alcohol.

T - The taste is the same - cooked grains / corn / adjuncts. The typical generic shitty beer taste going on here. Some syrupy / sugary / honey type sweetness. Indistinguishable from any of the other cheap adjunct ridden beers I've had in recent memory. 1.5

M - The feel is smooth, I suppose, with a bit of a rought / coarse / crisp carbonation. 2.5

Overall, like I said it is nearly indistinguishable from the rest of the swill. If I was given this and a Miller Lite together and tasted them blind, I might have a hard time telling which was which. Drink it if you've got it, I guess.

Red Dog -----2/5.

Sep 29, 2014
kkleu357 from Wisconsin

2.04/5  rDev +4.6%

Ah, Red Dog. The beer my parents used to bribe me and my friends with to help clean up the cottage and yard when opening it up for the summer. Maybe its just good memories, but I don’t think it is that bad. Not much flavor at all, very watery, but nothing bad in the taste either. Either way, the only reason for me to ever drink it again would be to relive some old memories with some old friends.

Sep 25, 2014
Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 50 out of 100 with 787 ratings