Red Dog

Red DogRed Dog
Notes:
Reviews: 197 | Ratings: 784
Reviews by JimboBrews54:

Better than a lot of ice beers. That is not saying much, this is still awful in almost every way shape and form. The only thing that separates this is that it actually tastes somewhat like beer.

1.25/5  rDev -35.6%

probably unrelated?; but I had to poop pretty bad after drinking this.

My story with Red Dog began a long while ago. It was a typical morning and I was headed to my local liquor store here in Rice Lake, WI, where I was planning on purchasing my usual 24 ounce miller lite. I had brought exact change to buy the Miller, but to my dismay, there had been a sudden increase in price of Miller and I no longer had enough for it. Because of this, I was forced to settle for a less expensive beer, and quickly took a Red Dog out of the cooler instead. I was disappointed while leaving the liquor store, but my sadness was quickly alleviated when I took my first sip of Red Dog. I found both its flavor and smoothness to be uncommon. Since then, I have not bought any other kind of beer. Red Dog's flavor is bold, yet smooth, and takes the edge off of a stressful morning at work. Red Dog is a beer that pairs perfectly with a nice carton of Marlboros and in my experience is best enjoyed early in the morning (around 8am). Red Dog is an overall flawless beer that perfectly embodies all qualities that an American stout should want to present.

4.84/5  rDev +149.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

When the ancient Babylonians first conceived of alcohol they could scarcely have conceived that craft brew would reach such heights. In a word, Red Dog is magnificent. Cosmopolitan yet accessible. Pedestrian but somehow suave. Red Dog is the great equalizer, taking the complex flavor and exquisite texture of an expensive craft Beer but offering it a price point that puts it firmly in reach of the average 8th grader. If you drink no other beer before you die, drink a Red Dog.

1.5/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Great stuff when you're eighteen and working up the courage to feel up your girlfriend for the first time. Sub-turpentine.

3.3/5  rDev +70.1%

This is a great budget beer and one that I truly enjoy to have from time to time. In Indianapolis a 30 pack is around $15, and it is much better than some beers at the same price. For 50 cents a beer, it is an A plus. For beer overall, I would give Red Dog a solid B. It is a very good and refreshing CHEAP AAL.

3.06/5  rDev +57.7%

Pours a slightly golden color with a thin lace of head. Slightly sweet adjunct aromas. Not much taste, but not really any adjunct flavor either. Goes down quite smooth, slightly dry. I reviewed this poured in a glass, but I'm giving this a 5 for overall, because for some reason it's much better out of the can and it's the only good macro/adjunct beer I like.

3.32/5  rDev +71.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Been waiting to find a 40 or something of the Dog, I didnt want to spend the cash on a 30 can case. Red Dog was one of the first I branched out to in the early 90''s after my many cases of my go-to Blatz returnables. Finally found a 24oz can for a $1.69. Ha this is gonna be good.

Start this of with a shot of Early Times to "cleanse the palate". Lets crack this can into a lager mug., to see the sights!...Typical pale gold lager. Grainy, faint metallic aroma.

I threw this in the freezer for 20 minutes out of the garage. So far, light, smooth on the tongue. I remember seeing the billboards in Madison before this came out, of course the bulldog caught my eye. It was popular around town for a bit. So far, so good, Nothing spectacular, but easy drinking. Letting it warm a bit. Nice to drink from the 24. Nice touch of sweetness, but just a bit, very smooth, low carbonation. Easy to put away a few of these....memories, can hear the ladies from Xscape singing in the background from our early twenties, good memories, good brew.

Red Dog. I didn't even drink this when I was in college. I wouldn't drink this if I was that guy from 127 hours. This is worse than any beer (including malt liquor). I have ever had. By a wide margin. And I have drank a lot of awful beers. I would rather siphon (and drink) the oil from my lawnmower than taste this "beer" again. It is not safe for human consumption. It is not safe for rat consumption. You may use it to kill the weeds in your yard that survive other products advertised for such purposes which fail to work.

4.59/5  rDev +136.6%

i like cheap beers, and this one is near perfect. crisp and refreshing, with a light, wheaty flavor and very refreshing. i know that by beer drinker's standards this is not a high quality item, but that's what i like. it's mild and not at all overpowering. very drinkable. i'm not one to savor the event of drinking a beer - this is one you can guzzle and consume mass quantities without it going to your head or feeling full and bloated. in my opinion, almost the perfect beer.

2.43/5  rDev +25.3%

32oz brown twist off, lots of numbers on the label, but no apparent freshness dating.

Beer pours a light, bright gold with a fast fading head and shards of lacing.

Beer has a distant aroma of fresh malts/bread. Not bad smelling, just very faint.

The taste is slightly sweet and grainy. The beer has a slight metallic twang (or is that the hops?). Not offensive in any way, not really very good in any way.

This mouthfeel and the beer is under carbonated for this style. Drinkabity is fine for what it is. The beer is better than Bud & Coors, but pales next to some of the good regional brews (think Point, Old Style, etc.).

1.75/5  rDev -9.8%

2.7/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

a couple years ago I entered a design a red dog bottle cap contest online and I actually won. I got $250 for it. Crazy! I was just fooling around online, nothing serious. It was something along the lines of "You've done the dew, now do the brew!"

Red dog beer is not so great though. But for cheap, cheap, macro swill it is my favorite. Soooo cheap!

2.75/5  rDev +41.8%

A- pale yellow with fast fading frothy head and minimal soapy lace.

S- Surpringly hoppy compared to most miller products. Corn, water, rice, earthy musty hops

T- Musty, watery, corn and faint light grains

M- Crisp, light, watery

D- Easy to drink but boring. Musty taste is a turn off. Just another cheap watered down BMC beer.

1.58/5  rDev -18.6%

Could be psychological, but I almost think there is a reddish tint to this brew. In any event, the head is weak and gone in no time. There's not much of a nose, but we'll call it malt. The mouthfeel is watered down malt. The taste ... let's see, there must be some taste here ... is, well, fruit syrup and malt? Certainly no hops. Also certainly no chance that I'll have another, or even finish this one. Next!.

3.18/5  rDev +63.9%

this is my absolute favorite of the cheap american beers. pale yellow in color, rarely retains a head and smells like preservatives, but it goes down the best of any of them. slight sweetness in taste which fades quickly and leaves little to no aftertaste. easy to drink, nice inwarm weather with a lime. i always have this in my fridge for my cheap beer.

2.38/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I actually really did enjoy this beer. I heard quite a few bad things about it, but certainly for the price of 3.26 for a six pack ya gotta at least like that. It had a decent aroma, and had a pretty good mouthfeel as well. It was nothing spectacular, but its definitely something I'd buy again in the future.

Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 50 out of 100 with 784 ratings