Red Dog | Miller Brewing Co.

awful

millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001

2.2

My story with Red Dog began a long while ago. It was a typical morning and I was headed to my local liquor store here in Rice Lake, WI, where I was planning on purchasing my usual 24 ounce miller lite. I had brought exact change to buy the Miller, but to my dismay, there had been a sudden increase in price of Miller and I no longer had enough for it. Because of this, I was forced to settle for a less expensive beer, and quickly took a Red Dog out of the cooler instead. I was disappointed while leaving the liquor store, but my sadness was quickly alleviated when I took my first sip of Red Dog. I found both its flavor and smoothness to be uncommon. Since then, I have not bought any other kind of beer. Red Dog's flavor is bold, yet smooth, and takes the edge off of a stressful morning at work. Red Dog is a beer that pairs perfectly with a nice carton of Marlboros and in my experience is best enjoyed early in the morning (around 8am). Red Dog is an overall flawless beer that perfectly embodies all qualities that an American stout should want to present.

4.84/5  rDev +120%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

When the ancient Babylonians first conceived of alcohol they could scarcely have conceived that craft brew would reach such heights. In a word, Red Dog is magnificent. Cosmopolitan yet accessible. Pedestrian but somehow suave. Red Dog is the great equalizer, taking the complex flavor and exquisite texture of an expensive craft Beer but offering it a price point that puts it firmly in reach of the average 8th grader. If you drink no other beer before you die, drink a Red Dog.

4.74/5  rDev +115.5%

Good taste great price. Definite go to.

4.6/5  rDev +109.1%

My favorite frat house beverage!

4.59/5  rDev +108.6%

i like cheap beers, and this one is near perfect. crisp and refreshing, with a light, wheaty flavor and very refreshing. i know that by beer drinker's standards this is not a high quality item, but that's what i like. it's mild and not at all overpowering. very drinkable. i'm not one to savor the event of drinking a beer - this is one you can guzzle and consume mass quantities without it going to your head or feeling full and bloated. in my opinion, almost the perfect beer.

4.34/5  rDev +97.3%

Ignore the beer snobs that trash this beer, their uber sophisticated palletes will never be able to appreciate the awesomeness of this beer. This beer won a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival last year for a reason, it's one of the best American adjunct lagers on the planet. This beer pours from the can looking like liquid gold. The smell would probably bring Bob Mckenzie to his knees. It tastes like God just gave me a golden shower. Overall this is one of the easiest drinking beers ever created and should be a constant in everyones beer rotation. Good luck finding a better beer for the price, because it isn't about to happen.

4.25/5  rDev +93.2%

4.06/5  rDev +84.5%

This beer is fairly decent. I like it a lot. A plus is that it's really cheap. It is failry smooth. Has a bite to it too. Don't think it's bad at all. Don't know why people think it's so bad. The smell of the beer amazed me for an american macro lager. Very nice. It's worth a try.

It's a nostalgic experience for me. It was the very first beer that got me drunk as a senior in high school. I also remember the commercials and swag from the mid-90's. It's my go-to beer for just wanted to drink one after another when working in the garage or in the yard.

3.94/5  rDev +79.1%

Just wanted give this a go because I got a good laugh out of the review below me by HeyBeerSnobFU. I can't tell if he's totally joking, but I think it's mostly truth behind the review. It's certainly not the best light lager in the world but when comparing beers at a similar price , it is unmatched. Just good ol' grainy fizzy yellow beer. For macro lagers sometimes "not that bad" means a lot.

I would be lying if I said I don't get nostalgic whenever I pound a few cans. Just look at the badass packaging. Also I was just in Madison a couple of weekends ago where I saw a place selling a 30 pack for $10.99. God bless America!

3.92/5  rDev +78.2%

I think this beer is unfairly bashed. When I judge beers, i factor in how much i paid for it, and honestly, when i can get a 30 pack of cans for $12 or a 12pk of bottles for $6, i am not expecting an amazing beer. When compared to all the other cheap beers: Milwaukee's Best, Busch Light, Keystone, etc. It is definitely the best out of all of them. It is not my favorite beer, but when money is an issue, or if it is the only thing to drink, i would not be upset. I really do think it is a pretty good beer.

3.85/5  rDev +75%

For the price this one often goes for, it's a damn good beer. I purchased these 6-packs of 16 oz. cans for $2.99 each (that's $11.96/case) in December, 2009.

This beer has a standard thick head and golden, bubbly appearance. It has the stereotypical American style lager smell. The taste is very good and quite similar to others in it's genre (think beer). Mouthfeel is watery and light. Red Dog has the bite one expects from this style. Overall, I have to rate this as a very fine beer. It's as good, if not better, than other higher-priced beers in its class (Budweiser, MGD, Coors). That being the case, why not purchase this and save a bundle? Red Dog definitely holds its own against the others. I've always had a lot of respect for this one.

RJT

3.63/5  rDev +65%

Well, I expected more from this beer, since I wanted to try it in 1999, and just this year I was able to do it. Very pale, almost green, the beer, foam as a lager, but just a few. But what is great is, the dog, actually it looks like welcoming you and like showing you a bottle of the beerm but below the picture.

Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.