Red Dog

Red DogRed Dog
Notes:
Reviews: 197 | Ratings: 784
1.25/5  rDev -35.6%

A trip down memory lane in the worst way. The beer pours a near clear yellow with a fizzy head. The smell is metallic with some rice smells coming through. Taste was the same. I remember it as one of the first beers I ever had and almost turned me away from beer as a whole. Not good by any stretch but it was interesting to relive this one.

It's a nostalgic experience for me. It was the very first beer that got me drunk as a senior in high school. I also remember the commercials and swag from the mid-90's. It's my go-to beer for just wanted to drink one after another when working in the garage or in the yard.

Red Dog. I didn't even drink this when I was in college. I wouldn't drink this if I was that guy from 127 hours. This is worse than any beer (including malt liquor). I have ever had. By a wide margin. And I have drank a lot of awful beers. I would rather siphon (and drink) the oil from my lawnmower than taste this "beer" again. It is not safe for human consumption. It is not safe for rat consumption. You may use it to kill the weeds in your yard that survive other products advertised for such purposes which fail to work.

My story with Red Dog began a long while ago. It was a typical morning and I was headed to my local liquor store here in Rice Lake, WI, where I was planning on purchasing my usual 24 ounce miller lite. I had brought exact change to buy the Miller, but to my dismay, there had been a sudden increase in price of Miller and I no longer had enough for it. Because of this, I was forced to settle for a less expensive beer, and quickly took a Red Dog out of the cooler instead. I was disappointed while leaving the liquor store, but my sadness was quickly alleviated when I took my first sip of Red Dog. I found both its flavor and smoothness to be uncommon. Since then, I have not bought any other kind of beer. Red Dog's flavor is bold, yet smooth, and takes the edge off of a stressful morning at work. Red Dog is a beer that pairs perfectly with a nice carton of Marlboros and in my experience is best enjoyed early in the morning (around 8am). Red Dog is an overall flawless beer that perfectly embodies all qualities that an American stout should want to present.

1.69/5  rDev -12.9%

Drank from can after shoveling my driveway. Threw can at snowplow.

Appearance-Stayed in the can for a reason. Handy 30 pack for destroying whatever clear vision you had prior to entering 7-11. Remember to play "rotate the can and tell me what you see" Hint: Involves Batman.

Smell-High school locker room, with hints of prom-night corsage. Some claim ether like notes, but that is probably from trip to ER from finishing 30 pack.

Taste-Beer. Notes of beer. Belches 100% AAL.

Mouthfeel-Definitely wet, slight antiseptic finish is indicative of what lies ahead come morning. Finish the 30 pack and you will know what it feels like after the kidnappers rip the duct tape off their victims.

Overall-Other than attending your 20 year reunion to see if your old girlfriend got fat…what were you thinking when you asked for this. The bartender might just be someone you stuffed into a locker back in high school, otherwise he wouldn't have served you this.

2.77/5  rDev +42.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

24 oz. can poured into a coke glass.

A - Light gold & clear

S - Corn, grain, metal

T - Corn, grain, some hops and a slightly stale aftertaste

M - Medium to light

O - It's crisp and nicely carbonated. Little bit of hops. There's a hint of mustiness at the end that keeps me from giving a definitive endorsement. An above average chugging brew for the price.

3.3/5  rDev +70.1%

This is a great budget beer and one that I truly enjoy to have from time to time. In Indianapolis a 30 pack is around $15, and it is much better than some beers at the same price. For 50 cents a beer, it is an A plus. For beer overall, I would give Red Dog a solid B. It is a very good and refreshing CHEAP AAL.

2.52/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I mean i cant really complain at $11.06 for a 30 pack here in wisconsin The appearance is your old regular american adjunct lager, the smell is questionable on what the hell am i drinking, the taste is bold but cheap in flavors. Its a adjunct lager folks made of knock off products, id stick with Icehouse its big brother from the ficticious "plank road brewery".

This beer is exactly what you would expect, so for the price I'm rating it a 3 because for 10 bucks a 30-pack, I don't think one should be all that judgmental. This is the beer I buy for large parties to sell to new drinkers. It's not anything close to tasty, but it goes down easy and gets you drunk after enough of them. If you view it for what it is, Red Dog is a perfectly acceptable bottom shelf beer.

Edit: After pounding a few, I reaffirm my previous review. For an adjunct, I'd give it a not bad

1.94/5  rDev 0%

24oz can purchased at a gas station for 99 cents.

A: Pours light yellow with a huge fizzy, bright white head that quickly faded into a thin film.
S: Crackery cereal grains, lager yeast, dry, slight black pepper. Not much.
T: Watery bleh. Nothing much to taste, even less so than normal for this style of beer. Some sweet malts, faint adjuncts, cereal grains and peppery lager yeast. Pretty boring.
M: Super light body, super water mouthfeel, fizzy carbonation.
O: Like slightly flavored water. Pretty plane and bland. Not worth the dollar.

2.81/5  rDev +44.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Bright gold lager with a thin, sudsy head that disappears right away. It's a little on the pale side, looking more like a light lager. Aroma of sugary grain with a faint musty scent. Dry corn and grain flavor with a metallic aftertaste. I used to love this stuff back in the 90s, but it doesn't do it for me anymore. I wonder if this is even the same beer. I remember it being darker.

3.21/5  rDev +65.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Date on bottle of 7/8/13.

Appearance: The sort of light honey color of weak iced tea with visible effervescence and the kind of impeccable clarity you expect for the style. Thin cap of white head fizzling away on top.

Aroma: Classic adjunct nose with that slight skunk and empty corn can musk. Not revolting but not enticing.

Taste: Usually at this point in a review I remark on the different flavors and intricacies due to the complexity of the brew. With Red Dog I find myself at a bit of a loss because there really isn't any flavor. It's like soda water thats had creamed corn and a pinch of yeast added to it… yet it's oddly enjoyable. The finish is surprisingly smooth and there is a lack of any aftertaste. Can't believe it's 5% ABV because it seems like it could be so much lower.

Mouthfeel: Thin in body but not watery (no idea how that's possible). Lively carbonation that gives it a refreshing quality. Highly drinkable and easily sessionable at a BBQ or during other outdoor social gatherings.

Final Thoughts: I've never had Red Dog before and only tried it now because one was left in my fridge. I couldn't find any off-flavors, only a refreshing brew that caught me by surprise. I think it sells for something like $10 a 30-pack. Probably go good with a lime. Would I drink it again? Drink it, yes. Buy it, unlikely.

2.41/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a can at Texas Arizona in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a crystal clear pale golden yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of visible carbonation and some yellow highlights. The beer has a half finger tall fizzy bright white head that quickly reduces to a couple of small patches of extremely thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of slightly sweet adjunct malts - rice dominates with slighter amounts of corn and grain. Very light hints of grassy hops.

T: Upfront this beer is slightly sweet with light to moderate flavors of adjunct malts - rice, grain, and then just a hint of corn. Minimal amounts of grassy hops flavors and barely any bitterness.

M: Slightly heavier than light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin but not too watery.

O: I mostly decided to order this one for nostalgia's sake - I remember having this beer when I was in high school/college and before there were a lot of decent craft beers to enjoy. I had no illusion that this was going to be a good beer but honestly it was not as bad as I remembered it.

2.02/5  rDev +4.1%

So here's the thing, for an adjunct the red dog has some bite. Sneaky robust in the booze, but harsh, cheap, and doesn't mix well with the macro corn sweetness. Smell has some grass to add, so that's neat. Body is a little thicker, but still very macro. Pass

4.59/5  rDev +136.6%

i like cheap beers, and this one is near perfect. crisp and refreshing, with a light, wheaty flavor and very refreshing. i know that by beer drinker's standards this is not a high quality item, but that's what i like. it's mild and not at all overpowering. very drinkable. i'm not one to savor the event of drinking a beer - this is one you can guzzle and consume mass quantities without it going to your head or feeling full and bloated. in my opinion, almost the perfect beer.

2.16/5  rDev +11.3%

A - completely clear, light yellow with a big, bubbly, white head that has little retention

S - very sweet, grainy, a hint of metal

T - same as the nose; sweet, grainy, metallic

M - light bodied, crisp

When i was in college we bought this for $6 a 12-pack. That was 2001-2003. This is a pretty simplistic, tasteless beer. It's definitely better out of the can. I will avoid this in the future.

2.65/5  rDev +36.6%

Served in an Ohio State shaker pint glass.

Watching some Saints Row, drinkin' some Red Dog. Welcome home, Jonny-Cakes. This stuff pours a clear pale straw topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises corn, light wheat, and a smattering of hard water. The taste brings in more of the same, with the corn coming through sweeter and the water harder. The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, given this beer's reputation, I feel it's not all that bad, but it ain't anywhere near good. If I needed a cheap sixpack in some random place, I wouldn't be as completely averse to Red Dog as I would be toward other similar options.

3.94/5  rDev +103.1%

Just wanted give this a go because I got a good laugh out of the review below me by HeyBeerSnobFU. I can't tell if he's totally joking, but I think it's mostly truth behind the review. It's certainly not the best light lager in the world but when comparing beers at a similar price , it is unmatched. Just good ol' grainy fizzy yellow beer. For macro lagers sometimes "not that bad" means a lot.

I would be lying if I said I don't get nostalgic whenever I pound a few cans. Just look at the badass packaging. Also I was just in Madison a couple of weekends ago where I saw a place selling a 30 pack for $10.99. God bless America!

4.34/5  rDev +123.7%

Ignore the beer snobs that trash this beer, their uber sophisticated palletes will never be able to appreciate the awesomeness of this beer. This beer won a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival last year for a reason, it's one of the best American adjunct lagers on the planet. This beer pours from the can looking like liquid gold. The smell would probably bring Bob Mckenzie to his knees. It tastes like God just gave me a golden shower. Overall this is one of the easiest drinking beers ever created and should be a constant in everyones beer rotation. Good luck finding a better beer for the price, because it isn't about to happen.

2.05/5  rDev +5.7%

I poured from a can into a 16oz draft class.

The head on this beer is actually pretty thick, but it is filled with large air pockets.

Appearence was a clear dark yellow/gold and the aroma was that of any generic macro brew. Nothing to write home about to be sure.

The taste is actually where the divide is set for me and why I felt compelled to write a review for this beer. Let's be fair and honest, at $12.99 a 30-rack where I'm from, you know exactly what you're getting when you set you're money on the counter. But, inexplicably, it tastes better to me than a lot of other comparable beers (i.e. American, Genny, Milwaukee). Hard alcohol bite that shows it's more than just water. My friends and I have dubbed it "The bite of the dog". The price and RELATIVELY good taste make it perfect for a basement frat party or a trashy family reunion.

2.16/5  rDev +11.3%

A - Pours a see through yellow with a three finger frothy white head. Actually leaves a good amount of lacing

S - Stale corn adjunct upfront, followed by some ever so slight rice adjunct.

T - Pretty bland, slight corn adjunct in the distance but not offensive in any way.

M - Adds some sweet rice with a moderately carbonated body.

O - Overall, it's a cheap beer. In the price range you either get this or Hamm's, And I guess I'd take this since it doesn't have the same sticky consistency that Hamm's has

2.76/5  rDev +42.3%

12 pack purchased for $5.99 American. Poured into hotel room glass for appearance. Drank rest from bottle.

Typical adjunct lager. Clear and yellow.

Frosted flakes, with apple juice and booze. Not very good.

Not horrible. Similar to a Highlife, Mickey's or Old Milwaukee with a hint more booze twang.

Again like a Highlife, Mickey's or Old Milwaukee. Not too carbonated but finishes clean. Alcohol vapors evaporate off the tongue.

Nothing special but you could purchase far worse.

3.16/5  rDev +62.9%

Looks like an adjunct lager. Smells like an adjunct lager with an extra metallic smell.
The taste is quite unique though, I find. It's got an odd sweetness to it that I don't like. Normally, I have no problem with sweetness. But this is a strange type of sweet like it had a packet of artificial sweetener poured into what was otherwise a bland, dry beer. It's not terrible. It's probably a wee bit better than Budweiser, but there are better beers in this price range. Old Milwaukee is what I'll be sticking with. Much better than this garbage.

2.26/5  rDev +16.5%

Fairly heavy body a little dry lots of malt, but the skunkiness and the "rusty pipes" after taste still lingers with me to this day.
It does its job as what its intended to be an alcohol delivery system. Its got to be ice cold or its nasty. I like its little brother southpaw better.

3.13/5  rDev +61.3%

First review, figured I should do it on my most recent beer I had, and I gotta say, this is probably the number one on what I call my "Shit beer list." For just a few bucks and to get this kind of beer, going in with low expectations, it isn't bad.

A: Pale straw color. Impressive 4-finger head with little retention.

S: The weak point; musty and corny. Not awful smelling, but certainly not appealing.

T: Decent amount of hops with a stale corn after-taste, but if you're chugging it, it doesn't really matter.

M: Extremely light, but in terms of an adjunct, better than most.

O: Best "Shit beer." If I need beer and I got a few bucks, my money is on this.

Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 50 out of 100 with 784 ratings