Red Dog | Miller Brewing Co.

awful

2.25/5  rDev +2.3%

2.5/5  rDev +13.6%

2.01/5  rDev -8.6%

2.81/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Bright gold lager with a thin, sudsy head that disappears right away. It's a little on the pale side, looking more like a light lager. Aroma of sugary grain with a faint musty scent. Dry corn and grain flavor with a metallic aftertaste. I used to love this stuff back in the 90s, but it doesn't do it for me anymore. I wonder if this is even the same beer. I remember it being darker.

1.25/5  rDev -43.2%

1.5/5  rDev -31.8%

2.5/5  rDev +13.6%

3.75/5  rDev +70.5%

2.25/5  rDev +2.3%

3.21/5  rDev +45.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Date on bottle of 7/8/13.

Appearance: The sort of light honey color of weak iced tea with visible effervescence and the kind of impeccable clarity you expect for the style. Thin cap of white head fizzling away on top.

Aroma: Classic adjunct nose with that slight skunk and empty corn can musk. Not revolting but not enticing.

Taste: Usually at this point in a review I remark on the different flavors and intricacies due to the complexity of the brew. With Red Dog I find myself at a bit of a loss because there really isn't any flavor. It's like soda water thats had creamed corn and a pinch of yeast added to it… yet it's oddly enjoyable. The finish is surprisingly smooth and there is a lack of any aftertaste. Can't believe it's 5% ABV because it seems like it could be so much lower.

Mouthfeel: Thin in body but not watery (no idea how that's possible). Lively carbonation that gives it a refreshing quality. Highly drinkable and easily sessionable at a BBQ or during other outdoor social gatherings.

Final Thoughts: I've never had Red Dog before and only tried it now because one was left in my fridge. I couldn't find any off-flavors, only a refreshing brew that caught me by surprise. I think it sells for something like $10 a 30-pack. Probably go good with a lime. Would I drink it again? Drink it, yes. Buy it, unlikely.

1.25/5  rDev -43.2%

1.75/5  rDev -20.5%

Red Dog from Miller Brewing Co.