Icehouse

Gots
SCORE
Awful
IcehouseIcehouse
Notes: America's first domestic ice beer, Icehouse is traditionally brewed, fermented and, just before aging, its temperature is lowered to below freezing. This process imparts the beer's smoothness and an alcohol content that's slightly higher (5.5% by volume) than other regular premium beer brands. Icehouse was introduced in 1993 and has reinforced its position as the ultimate beer for wind-up and pre-game occasions. Blending humor and high-energy excitement, Icehouse marketing encourages its target consumers to take occasions to the next level with a great-tasting beer.
View: Beers
Reviews: 414 | Ratings: 1,330 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Mdog from Minnesota

3.25/5  rDev +60.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From a 24oz silo:

Appearance: Clear gold, good head.

Smell: Light corn, damp hay?

Taste: Mild sweetness, corn throughout, medium body. No obvious flaws.

Overall: Icehouse was the first beer I had my roommate buy for me at college 26 years ago. For some reason, I did not review it back then, or even have it again in the ensuing time. But I've been on a cheap lager kick lately so I picked up a single silo. It was not bad at all! I was expecting some fusels or other flaws, but really had nothing to complain about. Might even pick it up again sometime.

Oct 18, 2020
1009 from Massachusetts

1.76/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Exceptionally smooth as an ice beer usually performs. A little sweat and really heavy. It’s meant to get you drunk and yeah, it does that effectively but it’s not pleasant. After the entire stove pipe you will certainly be feeling yourself but man it’s just not a pleasant taste. Classic miller product. It cost a buck thirty so I’m not that upset, but still not something I’m clamoring to get again.

Jul 16, 2020
realJohnnyHobo from Maryland

2.58/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

The ice beer movement of the 1990s may be dead, but if you're a fan of the ice series of beer there is good reason to be and Icehouse was where it all started. Now apart of the MolsonMillerCoors portfolio of beers, this is a solid American beer typically sold as a sub-premium product pricing, but is it bad? No.

If you're looking for an adjunct lager then this would have a very good choice. This is well rounded, with easy drinkability, and a bit higher alcohol per volume beer with no a slight alcohol taste in the finish.

Not unlike a malt liquor in its finishing notes, there is a bit of a white paper taste that occurs in the finish. It is not bad, but the light hops and sweet malty/ yeast notes round this beer out the taste with mild carbonation and a bit of action in the rears of the taste. Upfront notes are mainly that of sweet corn adjunct, not really malt foward but it appears near the finish, and the hop notes are slightly spicy.

Jul 04, 2020
hman43 from North Carolina

2.33/5  rDev +15.3%

Look: It pours golden and clear. It has a white, fizzy head. Head retention is low.

Smell: It has a sweet grain and corn aroma. There is a hint of spice well into the background.

Taste: It has grainy sweet flavors with corn mixed in. There are some spice elements that are low.

Feel: It has a carbonic bite to it as well. It has a medium light body with a carbonic and sweet grain after taste.

Overall, the aroma is actually decent and the taste is okay, but the carbonic and sweet grainy after taste is just not very good.

Jun 26, 2020
UristMcBrewer from Pennsylvania

2.29/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

It a pale-golden beer that is very transparent and has a bubbly heady that disappears quickly. It is inoffensive on the nose but lacks anything to enticing. Just some corn flavors. The taste is similar. It is sweet and adjuncty but not bad. The feel is loose but with a nice foaminess at the end. Overall, not a bad beer but not a good beer.

Apr 10, 2020
Nsnwmaka

3.76/5  rDev +86.1%

Picked up a 12 pack for $5

My expectations were really really low due to the price point, I mean it’s a $0.42 beer, I usually buy yuengling as my cheap beer and it’s $0.83 a can.

This will now my go to home beer, it tastes like beer, smells like beer, it even tastes good when it’s ice cold, and I can get a 12 pack for the price of a pint.

Update

I’m on my 10th 12 pack now. It’s nice to throw in in heavy rotation with craft beers. I’d say A good ratio is like 36 icehouse to 1 6 pack of craft beer.

I mean seriously you get 4 beers for the price of a 20 oz coke, what more could you want.

I’m ready to call it the official beer of the coronavirus.

Apr 07, 2020
Scott_G_Fisher

3.55/5  rDev +75.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A decent lower quality lager with a higher ABV than traditional lagers. Retail price between .99 and $1.49. A more traditional lager taste because of lower sucrose content compared to high gravity. A decent budget beer.

Jan 17, 2020
jkblr from Indiana

2.59/5  rDev +28.2%

16oz can stamped MAR0220 poured into a tulip pint glass at fridge temp 5.5% ABV. The beer pours brilliantly bright golden straw yellow in color with nearly white head. The head recedes to a thin cap and leaves a little lacing. The aroma is grainy with a bit of sulfur. The taste is sour grain with a corny cereal finish. Mild bitterness with a decent hit of diacetyl. The mouthfeel is thin bodied with above average carbonation and a semi dry finish. Overall, not good. There's a lot of flaws here even for an AAL ice beer.

Dec 09, 2019
chitoryu12 from Florida

2.88/5  rDev +42.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Look: Gold with a massive 3 finger head of thick, sudsy foam with good retention. Tons of carbonation bubbles rising from the top in a thick stream. Could easily be mistaken for good beer.

Smell: No longer mistaken for good beer. A strange mixture of adjunct malt, metal, and Pine-Sol.

Taste: Concentrated corn flavor. Adjunct beers always have a distinct corn graininess, but this is like drinking the mash tun at a moonshine camp. Even when ice cold, it strongly tastes of corn. I would be legitimately surprised if hops ever touched this brew.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly full, smooth body with high carbonation.

Overall: Let's not.

Nov 13, 2019
GroundBreakingError from Illinois

2.62/5  rDev +29.7%

So Icehouse is a beer, a cheap simple and easy buzz achieved by bearing with one of the controversial tasting beers I've ever seen not just on this site but amongst my weak-kneed friends. I like this beer, but I also hate it. One of the few beers I'll drink over ice, a sin I know because if you don't drink it cold you might as well be drinking coyote urine. The taste it forms in my mouth is inconsistent, either potent enough to be enjoyed or crap enough to make me cringe. Honestly, I could drink perfume but somehow this beer is more disgusting lukewarm. I would recommend it to college kids running low on their beer fund or casual drinkers unable to give up an afternoon.

Oct 29, 2019
Carl94501

1.39/5  rDev -31.2%

This beer is barely drinkable. When its ice cold it's drinkable, but get it warm at all it gets this terrible taste that makes me sick. It's a cheap high alcohol beer so I'm not sure what i was expecting.

Sep 02, 2019
ScaryEd from New Hampshire

2.19/5  rDev +8.4%

Drank straight from the 25 oz can like a champ.

The aroma is muted, some corn and hops. That's about it.

The taste is sweet corn and hops with some mild graininess. Amazing.

The feel is light with good carbonation. Very crisp and drinkable.

Overall, an entirely mediocre adjunct lager. It's a nice way to get a quick buzz but that's about it.

Aug 02, 2019
Beertsipper from New York

3.35/5  rDev +65.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Light gold color, big white head with good retention. Nose is sweet corn, hops. Grains. Taste is corn, adjuncts, some hops, grainy, white bread. Lot of sweetness. Good carbonation with a light to medium mouthfeel. Finishes on the drier side, but the middle is a bit watery. Not bad. Certainly better than Bud and the light beers. A good change of pace from all the hazy juicy IPA's that have been underwhelming, as of late.

Jun 03, 2019
tp1962 from Illinois

4.31/5  rDev +113.4%

I haven’t had this in 25 or so years or maybe longer. This was a favorite of mine back when the craft beers were blue moon and leinenkugel... lol.. I have put this in my shop fridge....Also if someone offered this to me? I would never turn this down!

Jun 02, 2019
aatazebeats from Texas

1.32/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

Poured from a 24oz. can. took 3 sips and dumped it out. Cheap malt liquor flavor, comparable to that of Steel Reserve but maybe a little more tolerable. A beer that appears light, yet somehow feels heavy, with heavy flavors of corn. Honestly makes me feel a little sick. No thanks.

1.32 - F
Awful, would not recommend.

Apr 01, 2019
Buckeye55 from North Carolina

2.5/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I used to consume this on a somewhat regular basis. It has a clean, smooth taste and goes down well. As with other brews I've rated at 2.5, this brew is drinkable but below average.

Mar 14, 2019
Jbbdrinker from Texas

3.04/5  rDev +50.5%

Light copper color and a nose of light malt, hops and alcohol. There is very little head and a short, sharp carbination. The alcohol really pushes to the front on this brew. There are malt and bitter hope not and a touch of grain, but no harsh notes to mention. As it warms a touch of the expected adjunct flavors develop, so drink it swiftly.

Mar 12, 2019
kojevergas from Louisiana

2.42/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

5.5% ABV.

HEAD: Fluffy, white, and long-lasting (~8 minute head retention).

BODY: Vibrant clear copper. No yeast/lees are visible within. Obviously filtered.

Looks nice for the intended style. I notice no defects, though it could be more vibrant still with a more robust head to boot.

AROMA: 6-row, corn adjunct. Some stale grains towards the back end.

I don't notice any booziness or find any off-notes. Not a hoppy or yeasty brew, but it doesn't seem watery, syrupy, or egregiously sweet.

TASTE & TEXTURE: It could drink cleaner; the corn adjunct comes off a bit thick if not syrupy, dragging down the malt backbone. Cheap 6-row keeps it no-frills. Some Noble hop character would be nice, or really any hop character at all. It's on the sweeter side, but tolerably so.

I've had worse. The adjunct is quite overt. I'd prefer a more grainy taste. But it doesn't suffer from any off-flavours save for a vague sense of staleness and dirtiness.

A little creamy. A little overcarbonated. Smooth, wet, somewhat refreshing. Light to medium-bodied. Very approachable. I'm glad it isn't watery like so many beers in the style, but it definitely overcorrects into overdone viscosity.

OVERALL: It's not Stroh's Gusto or Coors' Banquet, but it's a tolerable expression of the oft-ridiculed style. I've had my fair share of budget beers, and this is more tolerable than many. Not watery or boozy, which is more than I can say about many of its competitors at its price point. I'd sooner buy Simpler Times, High Life, or even Mickey's when after a budget buzz, and this is far from the best in its class, but we've all had worse.

Drink ice cold if you must drink it. Don't expect anything except a serviceable mechanism for quick cheap drunkenness.

D+ (2.42) / NOT RECOMMENDED

Feb 02, 2019
JDMOTHERD from Ohio

1.72/5  rDev -14.9%

This is a weird beer it was drank ice cold from a 24 oz can. It tastes corn and nothing more more of a rotting corn flavor. I have had this before and remember why I didnt want to buy it again.

Jan 29, 2019
xolectic from Ohio

2.86/5  rDev +41.6%

Purchased at a gas station for 99 cents.

Look: Pours a medium, decent lasting head. No lacing. Medium straw yellow color.

Smell: Grainy, sweet, a little boozy. Very weak smell overall.

Taste: Slightly sweet, with very good balance of corn and barley malt, but VERY watery. No detectable bitterness.

Feel: Very light body, no lingering aftertaste or greasiness like some of these lagers.

Overall: decent beer for parties and basic refreshment. Not going to get poured down the drain like many cheap beers (and this is among the cheapest).

Nov 14, 2018
paladinpeanut from South Carolina

4.24/5  rDev +109.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Loggers are my favorite type of beer. I was amazed that I could get a 12 pack at Wal*Mart for only $9. It's very smooth, and taste better than Bud, in my opinion. To be fair though, I don't like Miller either, (or light, I forget) in a bottle, but Icehouse in a can is great. I also like Yuengling on tap at least, and the only reason I bring any of that up is to just say if we have similar tastebuds Icehouse would be worth a try, especially for the price.

Nov 05, 2018
gvickery from Texas

2.29/5  rDev +13.4%

Funny that this is called a lager, it’s listed as an ale on the can. I bought this on a whim for $1.45 in a 24 oz can. No idea what it looks like, drank it from the can. Not much smell. It’s initially sweet with a little nondescript bitterness and then the typical annoying backwash taste that lets you know it’s an adunct. It’s not terrible and I was able to finish it. I can’t recommend unless your strapped for cash. There’s worse out there.

Oct 30, 2018
cardfan212 from Minnesota

2.75/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Drank from a 12 ounce can. Scores are based on the style.

Look - A little bombastic, would look appropriate at a frat party. "Ice brewed for a bolder taste" seems like a strong claim.

Smell - Very earthy and dirty. Doesn't smell sweet at all, which is a welcome surprise. Also quite strong, the smell gets around easily.

Taste - The smell was deceiving. This is a sweet beer with little bitter balance. I feel cheated.

Feel - Thin body with surprisingly little carbonation. This is an easy drinker.

Overall - Not to be drank slowly. They know what they're doing with this, it's a college party beer through and through.

Oct 28, 2018
JimboBrews54 from Michigan

1.5/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One of my least favorite beers. It has a unique taste and is definitely bold, but you'll regret drinking it the next morning. I do not know why they made this. for the love of god stop it!

Oct 08, 2018
meanmutt from Ohio

3.47/5  rDev +71.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The 2.5 rating I gave for appearance is purely made up. I don't know and don't care what this beer looks like. I enjoy drinking it straight from the 24oz. cans.

When I'm in the mood to buy some cheap beer, this is my favorite.

Aug 22, 2018
Icehouse from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 51 out of 100 with 1330 ratings