Icehouse

Gots
SCORE
Awful
IcehouseIcehouse
Notes: America's first domestic ice beer, Icehouse is traditionally brewed, fermented and, just before aging, its temperature is lowered to below freezing. This process imparts the beer's smoothness and an alcohol content that's slightly higher (5.5% by volume) than other regular premium beer brands. Icehouse was introduced in 1993 and has reinforced its position as the ultimate beer for wind-up and pre-game occasions. Blending humor and high-energy excitement, Icehouse marketing encourages its target consumers to take occasions to the next level with a great-tasting beer.
Reviews: 403 | Ratings: 1,308
1.39/5  rDev -30.8%

This beer is barely drinkable. When its ice cold it's drinkable, but get it warm at all it gets this terrible taste that makes me sick. It's a cheap high alcohol beer so I'm not sure what i was expecting.

2.19/5  rDev +9%

Drank straight from the 25 oz can like a champ.

The aroma is muted, some corn and hops. That's about it.

The taste is sweet corn and hops with some mild graininess. Amazing.

The feel is light with good carbonation. Very crisp and drinkable.

Overall, an entirely mediocre adjunct lager. It's a nice way to get a quick buzz but that's about it.

3.35/5  rDev +66.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Light gold color, big white head with good retention. Nose is sweet corn, hops. Grains. Taste is corn, adjuncts, some hops, grainy, white bread. Lot of sweetness. Good carbonation with a light to medium mouthfeel. Finishes on the drier side, but the middle is a bit watery. Not bad. Certainly better than Bud and the light beers. A good change of pace from all the hazy juicy IPA's that have been underwhelming, as of late.

4.31/5  rDev +114.4%

I haven’t had this in 25 or so years or maybe longer. This was a favorite of mine back when the craft beers were blue moon and leinenkugel... lol.. I have put this in my shop fridge....Also if someone offered this to me? I would never turn this down!

1.32/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

Poured from a 24oz. can. took 3 sips and dumped it out. Cheap malt liquor flavor, comparable to that of Steel Reserve but maybe a little more tolerable. A beer that appears light, yet somehow feels heavy, with heavy flavors of corn. Honestly makes me feel a little sick. No thanks.

1.32 - F
Awful, would not recommend.

2.5/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I used to consume this on a somewhat regular basis. It has a clean, smooth taste and goes down well. As with other brews I've rated at 2.5, this brew is drinkable but below average.

3.04/5  rDev +51.2%

Light copper color and a nose of light malt, hops and alcohol. There is very little head and a short, sharp carbination. The alcohol really pushes to the front on this brew. There are malt and bitter hope not and a touch of grain, but no harsh notes to mention. As it warms a touch of the expected adjunct flavors develop, so drink it swiftly.

2.42/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

5.5% ABV.

HEAD: Fluffy, white, and long-lasting (~8 minute head retention).

BODY: Vibrant clear copper. No yeast/lees are visible within. Obviously filtered.

Looks nice for the intended style. I notice no defects, though it could be more vibrant still with a more robust head to boot.

AROMA: 6-row, corn adjunct. Some stale grains towards the back end.

I don't notice any booziness or find any off-notes. Not a hoppy or yeasty brew, but it doesn't seem watery, syrupy, or egregiously sweet.

TASTE & TEXTURE: It could drink cleaner; the corn adjunct comes off a bit thick if not syrupy, dragging down the malt backbone. Cheap 6-row keeps it no-frills. Some Noble hop character would be nice, or really any hop character at all. It's on the sweeter side, but tolerably so.

I've had worse. The adjunct is quite overt. I'd prefer a more grainy taste. But it doesn't suffer from any off-flavours save for a vague sense of staleness and dirtiness.

A little creamy. A little overcarbonated. Smooth, wet, somewhat refreshing. Light to medium-bodied. Very approachable. I'm glad it isn't watery like so many beers in the style, but it definitely overcorrects into overdone viscosity.

OVERALL: It's not Stroh's Gusto or Coors' Banquet, but it's a tolerable expression of the oft-ridiculed style. I've had my fair share of budget beers, and this is more tolerable than many. Not watery or boozy, which is more than I can say about many of its competitors at its price point. I'd sooner buy Simpler Times, High Life, or even Mickey's when after a budget buzz, and this is far from the best in its class, but we've all had worse.

Drink ice cold if you must drink it. Don't expect anything except a serviceable mechanism for quick cheap drunkenness.

D+ (2.42) / NOT RECOMMENDED

1.72/5  rDev -14.4%

This is a weird beer it was drank ice cold from a 24 oz can. It tastes corn and nothing more more of a rotting corn flavor. I have had this before and remember why I didnt want to buy it again.

2.86/5  rDev +42.3%

Purchased at a gas station for 99 cents.

Look: Pours a medium, decent lasting head. No lacing. Medium straw yellow color.

Smell: Grainy, sweet, a little boozy. Very weak smell overall.

Taste: Slightly sweet, with very good balance of corn and barley malt, but VERY watery. No detectable bitterness.

Feel: Very light body, no lingering aftertaste or greasiness like some of these lagers.

Overall: decent beer for parties and basic refreshment. Not going to get poured down the drain like many cheap beers (and this is among the cheapest).

4.24/5  rDev +110.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Loggers are my favorite type of beer. I was amazed that I could get a 12 pack at Wal*Mart for only $9. It's very smooth, and taste better than Bud, in my opinion. To be fair though, I don't like Miller either, (or light, I forget) in a bottle, but Icehouse in a can is great. I also like Yuengling on tap at least, and the only reason I bring any of that up is to just say if we have similar tastebuds Icehouse would be worth a try, especially for the price.

2.29/5  rDev +13.9%

Funny that this is called a lager, it’s listed as an ale on the can. I bought this on a whim for $1.45 in a 24 oz can. No idea what it looks like, drank it from the can. Not much smell. It’s initially sweet with a little nondescript bitterness and then the typical annoying backwash taste that lets you know it’s an adunct. It’s not terrible and I was able to finish it. I can’t recommend unless your strapped for cash. There’s worse out there.

2.75/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Drank from a 12 ounce can. Scores are based on the style.

Look - A little bombastic, would look appropriate at a frat party. "Ice brewed for a bolder taste" seems like a strong claim.

Smell - Very earthy and dirty. Doesn't smell sweet at all, which is a welcome surprise. Also quite strong, the smell gets around easily.

Taste - The smell was deceiving. This is a sweet beer with little bitter balance. I feel cheated.

Feel - Thin body with surprisingly little carbonation. This is an easy drinker.

Overall - Not to be drank slowly. They know what they're doing with this, it's a college party beer through and through.

1.5/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One of my least favorite beers. It has a unique taste and is definitely bold, but you'll regret drinking it the next morning. I do not know why they made this. for the love of god stop it!

2.61/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

24 oz Can. Initial thought it is looks like Ginger Ale. Smell is very similar to Miller High Life, corn and grain. I try to drink Ice Beers as cold as i can because they start to lose their appeal after being out of the fridge for awhile. Taste is refreshing..slight alcohol, corn and rice flavor with a very smooth, crisp finish. It doesn't have a whole lot of flavors that are different from most cheap beers. I did enjoy it in the humid hot weather. I'm not a fan of super carbonated beers and this has lots of bubbles. Not something I would drink regularly because it lacks overall flavor but it is fairly sweet and is a good brew for the price. Grade is a C+

3.19/5  rDev +58.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

24 OZ can
Served in a pilsner glass

This beer pours a brilliant golden color and is topped with several inches of off white head that leaves some surprisingly decent lacing.

The smell is light grain notes. There is not much aroma.

The taste is typical adjunct lager. There are some grain flavors, but I get a little alcohol on the back of my tongue.

Thin and watery mouthfeel

It has been years since I have had this beer. I needed to try it again to review it, and because it is cheap. I needed gas for my mower, and it was in the cooler. Yard mowed. Icehouse consumed.

3.9/5  rDev +94%

I drink expensive coffee and cheap beer. Of course you can get much better tasting beer but for the working man whose kids go to private school you can't beat this. Top notch . After a couple of the tall boys you'll be driving that lawn mower right up the tree.

3.15/5  rDev +56.7%

Ok, let's be honest, I normally drink DIPAs, but when you're working outside on a hot summer day, a heavy beer is not very refreshing. So your choice is H2O, or a good lager. Sure you could choose a lot of other lagers over this one, for a lot more money I might add, but why? This tastes pretty good, clean with adequate alcohol and flavor. I'm a beer snob when I'm comparing Hopslam to some wannabe hop bomb, but this is just drink people. One final thought, for the half of America that drinks Bud Light in lieu of beer, this beer would probably taste like a Guinness! So Cheers

3.34/5  rDev +66.2%

24 ounce can into lager glass, best before 9/9/2018. Pours fairly crystal clear golden amber color with a 1 finger dense and rocky white head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of cracker, corn, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, and mild herbal/grassy earthiness. A bit too fruity with mild metallic notes in the aromas. Poor aromas with pale malt/corn and mild earthy hop notes; with decent strength. Taste of cracker, corn, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, and light herbal/grassy earthiness. Light herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of cracker, corn, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, and light herbal/grassy earthiness for a good bit. Nice robustness of pale malt/corn and light earthy hop flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance, and zero cloying/astringent flavors after the finish. Fairly crisp/clean finishing. Perfectly clean on lager flavors, with zero yeast notes present. Light-moderate increasing dryness from lingering bitterness and carbonation. Medium-high carbonation and medium body; with a very smooth, moderately bready/grainy, and lightly sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Mildly increasing alcohol warmth after the finish. Overall this is a solid pale adjunct lager. All around good robustness of pale malt/corn and light earthy hop flavors; very smooth, crisp, and pretty refreshing to drink. Very flavorful and not watery. Clean pale malt/grains and solid earthy hop presence/balance for the style. A nicely enjoyable offering, despite the off noted aromas.

3.5/5  rDev +74.1%

I bought a case of 24 cans for 9.99 for that price this is a solid cheap beer with a decent taste. It's nice ICE COLD on a warm day or after cutting the grass. If you can't afford to drink craft beer all the time, or just need a regular beer to get the job done this is a good pick.

2.13/5  rDev +6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This is the beer I drink when I'm not fussing about with my trendy facial hair, when I don't have a male yeast infection from wearing pants that are too tight, and when I'm not sitting at a gastropub in front of an assorted tasting while conversing among friends about the righteous act of bashing fascists. Yes, when I come home and hang up my coat after a long day of blaming whitey while simultaneously enjoying my life of lavish entitlements, I enjoy having a simple beer, made with substandard ingredients, in a substandard manner, and writing snarky reviews that make me seem worse than a beer snob. Thanks for reading.

2.94/5  rDev +46.3%

Better than tasting than a Bud (or any other Add-Junk lager)

Appearance - pale yellow, white head that dissipates fast
Smell - malty, sweet with a touch of booze
Taste - slight hop detected but mostly just fizzy, sweet malty bright flavor. Nothing offensive. Reminds me of Simply Times Lager.
Mouthfeel - lots of carb, easy drinking
Overall - Like I said, better than a Bud - not the worst beer at corner store.

2.53/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

So, Icehouse. You were at one time my go to beer. Lots of alcohol in this one. Pretty good flavor. Over time, the love wore off. Someone put some thought into this beer. It is the Kelly LeBrock from Weird Science of beers. Kind of like dating a stripper. Really exciting at first, then it becomes normal, then you start to notice her character flaws and although you love her, you don't like her because there is just something about the overall package which gives you pause. This is a fun beer. It isn't boring, and it has a lot of punch for a mass produced lager. The flavor and alcohol are amped up to 11, relatively speaking. It is like Skittles compared to natural fruit flavors. Icehouse is the boob job of beers. The Mustang or Subaru WRX of mass produced lagers. I still like this beer but at some point, I grew out of it as a fridge filler. For some reason it goes slow out of the cooler at parties. But really it is a high quality beer for what it is so that always surprises me. This is a beer that I still secretly like, just not an everyday beer that you can bring to meet your parents.

2.16/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A - straw yellow, white head that dissipates quickly, as many a college student would want
S - big corn, mild hop bite, an off putting dirtiness, and that's about it
T - definite hop bite, light malt, corn. The thing about a beer like this is it actually tastes like beer. It's not like bud light, trying to go for that carbonate water taste.
M - light beer, alcohol covered, aftertaste is minimal light beer taste
O - it's a cheap beer, good for when there's nothing craft worth drinking

2.12/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a very off-yellow color with light bubbly head. Little lacing. Smells very bland; light wheat and rice smell. Perhaps some other graininess. Tastes very much the same; light body and no real flavor to the beer. Some rice here and there, but nothing special. Overall, not something I would recommend.

Icehouse from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 51 out of 100 with 1308 ratings