Icehouse

Aug 19, 2001
SCORE
Awful
IcehouseIcehouse
Notes: America's first domestic ice beer, Icehouse is traditionally brewed, fermented and, just before aging, its temperature is lowered to below freezing. This process imparts the beer's smoothness and an alcohol content that's slightly higher (5.5% by volume) than other regular premium beer brands. Icehouse was introduced in 1993 and has reinforced its position as the ultimate beer for wind-up and pre-game occasions. Blending humor and high-energy excitement, Icehouse marketing encourages its target consumers to take occasions to the next level with a great-tasting beer.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
2.58/5  rDev +24%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5
by stevoj from Idaho

16 oz can from the discount bin at Albertsons. pale golden pour, frothy head, no retention. Aroma isn't really a factor, no aroma, but at least its not bad. Taste is light malts and adjunct grains, but not sweet. A small bitter bite at the finish. It's not horrible....

Jan 12, 2022

1.47 by LesDewitt4beer from Minnesota on Nov 23, 2021

1.86 by hybridnoisebloom from Wisconsin on Oct 06, 2021
2.77/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25
by Joefromgeorgia from Georgia

Someday when we're old men sitting in our floating rocking chairs on our space porches watching the starships roll by, we'll dream of the amazingly cheap ice beers we used to buy in our youth to get us drunk on a lazy day, because the only thing left to buy will be overpriced mars pale ales. But today is not that day.
Look man it's an ice beer. It's meant to be cheap, strong, and less filling. And they say this was the first. Same as everything else in this style: strong malt, slight sweet corn, light feeling, only a tad skunky if you drink slow and let it warm. You know what you bought this for, if you wanna be critical about it piss off back to the ipa factory you vape at next to the burned out train station. Among ice beers? I put it in second behind busche and just before bud because it's ever so slightly darker. It's fun to change it up, so if the race is at Daytona this week spring for a case

Sep 23, 2021
2.21/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25
by WaterBoar from Pennsylvania

This beer sucks! This is competing too much with American Adjunct beers, and to make it worse it is almost an ice beer. If it is an ICE beer it does not surprise me, but I got a case of this back in the day and wound up dumping the rest out. I did not even want to give it to the riff-raff or to a friend in need. I rather buy them something else than ruing my reputation of being the beer aficionado of the clique. I would say this beer is good on a hot day where there is nothing else to drink and you are not trying to drink many of them and are barbecuing or it is a dog day of summer. This is a pour out beer. I would not disrespect my circulatory system with this garbage.

Sep 18, 2021

3.23 by miwestcoaster from Michigan on Sep 08, 2021
3.91/5  rDev +88%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4
by Bouleboubier from New Jersey

(24 oz can, NOV0821; purchased cold single from Tony's at 32nd & Clark, Cleveland... decanted into my new 9 oz Genesee-branded taster glass)

L: polished-clear, pale, yellow liquid; unsurprising tight, white, lasting foam - yes!... lace spiraling down glass; constant collar

S: masa, play-doh, dry cereal grass, lipstick... intensity below-mellow, well under the threshold of off-putting obviosity

T: lightly-peppery (carbonic acid?) tortilla-tinged pils malt; extra dry, peppery aftertaste, with a delicate malt flavor lingering... about 1/4 through, and a subtle lemon or lime note has emerged in the aftertaste; mildly phenol perhaps as well

F: soft roll to its flow up front, almost inflating the palate, but quickly fade-dropping away, with a tailing carbonic prickle (not too much or too little - just enough)... perfect kiss of roundness up front, with an ideal drop and sparkle finishing it out

O: I finally found you! - and you're not half bad!... despite it having my beloved Miller-masa spicing, this is more or less typical of its packaging/branding, though its slightly drier cut and more pronounced peppery edge does make it stand out a bit... I'd probably buy this on occasion when craving nothing more than an 'ice-brewed' swill

Aug 14, 2021

2.8 by heerboth from Pennsylvania on Jun 15, 2021

3.19 by MatthewJW from Wisconsin on Mar 31, 2021

2.76 by Wilkolaczek94 from Connecticut on Mar 13, 2021

1.67 by Metalgod666 from Michigan on Feb 27, 2021

2.83 by GRhoads from Ohio on Feb 16, 2021
by AndrewFord666 from Illinois

It tastes metallic and like poison. You're better off sober.

Feb 01, 2021

2.23 by Demi from Minnesota on Dec 25, 2020

1.7 by Chuckdiesel24 from Illinois on Dec 20, 2020
2.69/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75
by MetalHead7734 from South Carolina

Look: Straw
Smell: Malt and corn dust. Almost minty?
Taste: Wrong. Just all wrong. Like so bad it deserves a metal...but somehow is still enjoying. There's a suprising amount of barley malt character. Otherwise not much going on.
Feel: Like a lightly carbonated water.
Overall: This beer gets a really bad rap but I actually kind of like it. It's one of my favorite macro lagers. It's so bad it's good. Easy to drink and tastes good...ish.

Dec 13, 2020
1.9/5  rDev -8.7%
by crazyspicychef from Pennsylvania

A total marketing ploy. Not good in anyway shape or form.

Nov 15, 2020
3.25/5  rDev +56.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25
by Mdog from Minnesota

From a 24oz silo:

Appearance: Clear gold, good head.

Smell: Light corn, damp hay?

Taste: Mild sweetness, corn throughout, medium body. No obvious flaws.

Overall: Icehouse was the first beer I had my roommate buy for me at college 26 years ago. For some reason, I did not review it back then, or even have it again in the ensuing time. But I've been on a cheap lager kick lately so I picked up a single silo. It was not bad at all! I was expecting some fusels or other flaws, but really had nothing to complain about. Might even pick it up again sometime.

Oct 18, 2020

3.27 by Boone757 from Virginia on Oct 15, 2020
1.76/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75
by 1009 from Massachusetts

Exceptionally smooth as an ice beer usually performs. A little sweat and really heavy. It’s meant to get you drunk and yeah, it does that effectively but it’s not pleasant. After the entire stove pipe you will certainly be feeling yourself but man it’s just not a pleasant taste. Classic miller product. It cost a buck thirty so I’m not that upset, but still not something I’m clamoring to get again.

Jul 16, 2020

1.31 by Jaasoares from Virginia on Jul 04, 2020
2.33/5  rDev +12%
by hman43 from North Carolina

Look: It pours golden and clear. It has a white, fizzy head. Head retention is low.

Smell: It has a sweet grain and corn aroma. There is a hint of spice well into the background.

Taste: It has grainy sweet flavors with corn mixed in. There are some spice elements that are low.

Feel: It has a carbonic bite to it as well. It has a medium light body with a carbonic and sweet grain after taste.

Overall, the aroma is actually decent and the taste is okay, but the carbonic and sweet grainy after taste is just not very good.

Jun 26, 2020

2.03 by smi69 from New York on May 25, 2020
3.17/5  rDev +52.4%
by lflotron from Florida

Not as bad as I thought it would be. It seems like a good budget beer that has its own unique style

May 16, 2020
by MD31 from Wisconsin

I really enjoy this beer. It's bold and full flavored. A great "Thank God it's Friday" beer.

Apr 24, 2020
2.29/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25
by UristMcBrewer from Pennsylvania

It a pale-golden beer that is very transparent and has a bubbly heady that disappears quickly. It is inoffensive on the nose but lacks anything to enticing. Just some corn flavors. The taste is similar. It is sweet and adjuncty but not bad. The feel is loose but with a nice foaminess at the end. Overall, not a bad beer but not a good beer.

Apr 10, 2020
3.76/5  rDev +80.8%
by Nsnwmaka

Picked up a 12 pack for $5

My expectations were really really low due to the price point, I mean it’s a $0.42 beer, I usually buy yuengling as my cheap beer and it’s $0.83 a can.

This will now my go to home beer, it tastes like beer, smells like beer, it even tastes good when it’s ice cold, and I can get a 12 pack for the price of a pint.

Update

I’m on my 10th 12 pack now. It’s nice to throw in in heavy rotation with craft beers. I’d say A good ratio is like 36 icehouse to 1 6 pack of craft beer.

I mean seriously you get 4 beers for the price of a 20 oz coke, what more could you want.

I’m ready to call it the official beer of the coronavirus.

Apr 07, 2020

2.62 by Hefsbeercaps from Ohio on Mar 08, 2020

3.25 by jschott75 from Illinois on Mar 04, 2020

1 by TheIPAHunter from Pennsylvania on Feb 05, 2020

2.33 by Jcarriglio from Florida on Jan 20, 2020
3.55/5  rDev +70.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75
by Scott_G_Fisher

A decent lower quality lager with a higher ABV than traditional lagers. Retail price between .99 and $1.49. A more traditional lager taste because of lower sucrose content compared to high gravity. A decent budget beer.

Jan 17, 2020

2.29 by Humanusfermentum from Virginia on Jan 03, 2020
2.59/5  rDev +24.5%
by jkblr from Indiana

16oz can stamped MAR0220 poured into a tulip pint glass at fridge temp 5.5% ABV. The beer pours brilliantly bright golden straw yellow in color with nearly white head. The head recedes to a thin cap and leaves a little lacing. The aroma is grainy with a bit of sulfur. The taste is sour grain with a corny cereal finish. Mild bitterness with a decent hit of diacetyl. The mouthfeel is thin bodied with above average carbonation and a semi dry finish. Overall, not good. There's a lot of flaws here even for an AAL ice beer.

Dec 09, 2019

1.87 by BeardedWalrus from North Carolina on Dec 07, 2019
2.88/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3
by chitoryu12 from Florida

Look: Gold with a massive 3 finger head of thick, sudsy foam with good retention. Tons of carbonation bubbles rising from the top in a thick stream. Could easily be mistaken for good beer.

Smell: No longer mistaken for good beer. A strange mixture of adjunct malt, metal, and Pine-Sol.

Taste: Concentrated corn flavor. Adjunct beers always have a distinct corn graininess, but this is like drinking the mash tun at a moonshine camp. Even when ice cold, it strongly tastes of corn. I would be legitimately surprised if hops ever touched this brew.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly full, smooth body with high carbonation.

Overall: Let's not.

Nov 13, 2019
2.62/5  rDev +26%
by GroundBreakingError from Illinois

So Icehouse is a beer, a cheap simple and easy buzz achieved by bearing with one of the controversial tasting beers I've ever seen not just on this site but amongst my weak-kneed friends. I like this beer, but I also hate it. One of the few beers I'll drink over ice, a sin I know because if you don't drink it cold you might as well be drinking coyote urine. The taste it forms in my mouth is inconsistent, either potent enough to be enjoyed or crap enough to make me cringe. Honestly, I could drink perfume but somehow this beer is more disgusting lukewarm. I would recommend it to college kids running low on their beer fund or casual drinkers unable to give up an afternoon.

Oct 29, 2019

1.42 by Chilmer from Iowa on Oct 09, 2019
1.39/5  rDev -33.2%
by Carl94501

This beer is barely drinkable. When its ice cold it's drinkable, but get it warm at all it gets this terrible taste that makes me sick. It's a cheap high alcohol beer so I'm not sure what i was expecting.

Sep 02, 2019
2.19/5  rDev +5.3%
by ScaryEd from New Hampshire

Drank straight from the 25 oz can like a champ.

The aroma is muted, some corn and hops. That's about it.

The taste is sweet corn and hops with some mild graininess. Amazing.

The feel is light with good carbonation. Very crisp and drinkable.

Overall, an entirely mediocre adjunct lager. It's a nice way to get a quick buzz but that's about it.

Aug 02, 2019
Icehouse from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 51 out of 100 with 1344 ratings