Icehouse

Gots
SCORE
Awful
IcehouseIcehouse
Notes: America's first domestic ice beer, Icehouse is traditionally brewed, fermented and, just before aging, its temperature is lowered to below freezing. This process imparts the beer's smoothness and an alcohol content that's slightly higher (5.5% by volume) than other regular premium beer brands. Icehouse was introduced in 1993 and has reinforced its position as the ultimate beer for wind-up and pre-game occasions. Blending humor and high-energy excitement, Icehouse marketing encourages its target consumers to take occasions to the next level with a great-tasting beer.
Reviews: 402 | Ratings: 1,306
Reviews by PMakowski:
2.61/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

24 oz Can. Initial thought it is looks like Ginger Ale. Smell is very similar to Miller High Life, corn and grain. I try to drink Ice Beers as cold as i can because they start to lose their appeal after being out of the fridge for awhile. Taste is refreshing..slight alcohol, corn and rice flavor with a very smooth, crisp finish. It doesn't have a whole lot of flavors that are different from most cheap beers. I did enjoy it in the humid hot weather. I'm not a fan of super carbonated beers and this has lots of bubbles. Not something I would drink regularly because it lacks overall flavor but it is fairly sweet and is a good brew for the price. Grade is a C+

3.29/5  rDev +62.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I was surprised by this beer. I picked up a 6 pack of 12 oz cans from a gas station in Northern Vermont. It's not available where I live, so it's my first try. Not groundbreaking, but... this is by no means 'awful' beer. It's surprisingly clean, more so than your PBR or High Life, both of which I like. The flavor is smooth and pleasant, I bet it's great on a hot day. It can't really be picked apart too much though.

It's not trendy, nuanced, or lovingly crafted. Don't let it warm up and drink it from a snifter. But for what it is, I think it's great and I'll buy it again, particularly at <$5 for a sixer. If you enjoy AAL, give it a try- it's a good one.
We're here to respect beer, so let's not call things awful that are simply out of fashion.

3.39/5  rDev +67.8%

I really do enjoy drinking Icehouse beer. It has a thick, white head, a golden color, and very clear appearance. Carbonation is high. The aroma is weak, but typical for this genre. Taste is more full-bodied than other ice beers; corn and grain. Mouth-feel is light and watery. Icehouse finishes crisp and refreshing. I highly recommend giving this one a try.

RJT

2.53/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

So, Icehouse. You were at one time my go to beer. Lots of alcohol in this one. Pretty good flavor. Over time, the love wore off. Someone put some thought into this beer. It is the Kelly LeBrock from Weird Science of beers. Kind of like dating a stripper. Really exciting at first, then it becomes normal, then you start to notice her character flaws and although you love her, you don't like her because there is just something about the overall package which gives you pause. This is a fun beer. It isn't boring, and it has a lot of punch for a mass produced lager. The flavor and alcohol are amped up to 11, relatively speaking. It is like Skittles compared to natural fruit flavors. Icehouse is the boob job of beers. The Mustang or Subaru WRX of mass produced lagers. I still like this beer but at some point, I grew out of it as a fridge filler. For some reason it goes slow out of the cooler at parties. But really it is a high quality beer for what it is so that always surprises me. This is a beer that I still secretly like, just not an everyday beer that you can bring to meet your parents.

3.37/5  rDev +66.8%

This is an inoffensive American Adjunct Lager. It doesn't burst with flavor, it's not super-carbonated, it doesn't have bodacious head, and it tends to be not at all nasty or skunky to my palate or nose. It comes across as being a rather corny beer, a bit sweet, and entirely refreshing when served ice cold.

However, I will admit I always buy this in cans, so that might explain my lack of dealing with the skunk that some other reviewers have mentioned.

Icehouse is my go-to session beer for when I can't afford something fancier. I love the new can design (as of mid-2015). It has punch, but not so much that I end up being totally stupefied.

For what it is, it's pretty decent, and usually comes at a very fair price. One could do much worse than choosing Icehouse when looking for a low-falutin' brew.

2.97/5  rDev +47%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Best by Sept. 28 15 stamped on the bottom of the 16 oz. can:

Pours golden with a thin fizzy head. Minimal lacing sticks.

The smell is of a cheap adjunct lager. Some husk. Some alcohol.

The taste is of sweet corn with some husk. Light touch of alcohol comes through. Not much to it, but inoffensive as far as cheap adjunct lagers go.

The feel is clean and crisp. Smooth.

Reviewed/scored for what it is, I would say it's not bad for the style. Very cheap. Clean and crisp. Easy enough to drink. It is what it is.

3.5/5  rDev +73.3%

I bought a case of 24 cans for 9.99 for that price this is a solid cheap beer with a decent taste. It's nice ICE COLD on a warm day or after cutting the grass. If you can't afford to drink craft beer all the time, or just need a regular beer to get the job done this is a good pick.

3.16/5  rDev +56.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

16-oz. can / Pull date: JUN1917 / brewed @ Albany, GA facility
Icehouse Edge's (not so) little brother is flexing his muscles. Just released 6.9% ABV version of Icehouse is a 25.4% hike over the previous 5.5% ABV incarnation. The result is no surprise - a sweet and robust malty/bready punch inside the mouth with little to no subtlety (but also no glaring faults for a beer of this ilk). Consume it cold, however, as high-gravity brews are extremely volatile to drinking temperature and can run off into the ditch as they warm up.
MolsonCoors appears to be trying to create a niche between the upper and lower echelons of strong beers and I think it did a pretty commendable job with this updated Icehouse.

1.13/5  rDev -44.1%

Pours like a leaky bag of thawed chicken parts. The head contains aromas of burned out VCR parts with a hint of recycled aluminum cans. Defiles the pallet with an obstinate kick to the scrotum, warning the drinker of the inexorable blast to the gut. Clean finish.

2.13/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This is the beer I drink when I'm not fussing about with my trendy facial hair, when I don't have a male yeast infection from wearing pants that are too tight, and when I'm not sitting at a gastropub in front of an assorted tasting while conversing among friends about the righteous act of bashing fascists. Yes, when I come home and hang up my coat after a long day of blaming whitey while simultaneously enjoying my life of lavish entitlements, I enjoy having a simple beer, made with substandard ingredients, in a substandard manner, and writing snarky reviews that make me seem worse than a beer snob. Thanks for reading.

appearance: pale, putrid, yellow piss water. it looks like you should have chosen a glass of water instead of this stuff
1/5

smell: Remarkably it smells worse than it looks, with that terrible "cheap beer smell" that is quite hard to describe.
1/5

taste: Can I give it a 0? its aweful. they obviously did not brew this beer for taste, as "below freezing" has not given it any
1/5

mouthfeel: yea, nothing to see here folks. move along

overall: the WORST....worst...WORST beer I have ever had. this is the most sorry excuse for a beer I have ever seen since Budweiser tried to mix up clam juice, tomato's, and bud light into an atricous canned cocktail
at least that dreck had the defense of being a gimicky, bad idea

this whole beer is a bad idea, made simply to market to lowest common denominator for the cheapest price with the highest alcohol content

If you have any dignity at all, Avoid it at all costs.
Their is so much better ways to get drunk

3.44/5  rDev +70.3%

It was a Saturday night and I was thinking of a friend I lost to cancer 3 years ago and the PBR's we drank together back in the day. Went to the store to get one and they were out so I got an Icehouse since it was the beer at the last party we were at together. Maybe it is the memories talking but I really enjoyed it. Made me think of simpler times and simpler beers.

Appearance - straw yellow with a quickly evaporating white head.

Smell - sweet, corn, not much else but not bad.

Taste - again sweet, no hops to speak of but enough malt to make it enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - smooth, refreshing, nice carbonation almost prickly.

Overall - very drinkable, nothing outstanding but nothing offensive. Got to be a great lawnmower, camping, golfing beer as long as it is insanely cold. Wouldn't recommend drinking it warm.

Thanks buddy.

3.46/5  rDev +71.3%

Smells lightly of malt and hops (slightly floral perfume) with a bit of a sour edge. Almost smells like a Pilsner. As it warms up, that slight sour edge becomes more apple cidery. Flavor is similar to the nose, but the hops are less pronounced and there is a sweetness that carries through the whole way. Sweet malt up front, flash of hop flavor then fades quickly from malty to sugary, the hops go metallic, then the flavor muddles and becomes watery before the finish. Finish is short except for the impression of sweetness that lingers a bit.

Overall, this brew has a good balance between clean/crispness and actually having some flavor. It's got more flavor than most beers in the category without being too fruity or sweet. The carbonation is on the low end of moderate and just about right, in my opinion.

2.68/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Serving: Can, from the can
Served: 15 August 2015

Appearance: Had this one straight from the can, so I can't comment much on it. Okay looking can though, I guess.

Smell: Harsh, acidic astringency, yet very sweet smelling and traditionally 'beery'.

Taste: Tastes like cheap beer- sweet malts, corn husk, creamed corn, and a pinch of farmy earthiness thrown in just for good measure.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation and light body. Quaffable.

Overall: Glad I had this after splitting a fifth of bourbon.

3.45/5  rDev +70.8%

Picked this up as it has been years since I drank it. Very pleasantly surprised for a cheap huh gravity brew this brew has: mouthfeel, smooth as silk, body big and hearty, taste an ale with a smooth bite to it and price point, out of this world compared to craft beer that is not that much better. I would say this costs 1/3 of snobby craft beer but does not compromise 2/3 of characteristics. A winner and a thirst quencher.

1.44/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured at 40°F from a 16oz (best before 16Aug16) can into a nonic pint glass. Consumed on 28Jul16.
SMELL: Strong aromas of car exhaust quarrel with subtle aromas of corn and alcohol.
TASTE: The tumult of taste commences with an offensive fusion of mild corn and car exhaust flavors. Mild flavors of sugar water and subtle alcohol flavors next disrespect my palate as the flavors of car exhaust grow undesirably stronger. The vulgarity concludes with subtle flavors of spicy hops as the alcohol grows slightly stronger and all prior flavors maintain.
NOTE: I am unsure as to where to start with this. I do not know why and/or how a beer with only 5.5% ABV can have such a strong perception of alcohol. The fact that the car exhaust was the main flavor made this "beer" even more dreadful. Anything that makes me want to wash out the terrible taste in my mouth with a Bud Light should be illegal. I can see why this was $4 for a four pack.

1.03/5  rDev -49%

A terrible beer. It's my Grandfather's favorite, and I've had more of these than I care to admit

2.87/5  rDev +42.1%

From the large can, it pours a clear golden with a nice head, quickly reducing to a thin layer. Bubbles stream from the bottom constantly, but do not replenish the head. Taste is ok, nose is less so.

3.7/5  rDev +83.2%

This is probably one of the best or THE BEST cheap beer at 5.5% the taste is great gets you a little buzz pretty quickly and I really can't say much more. This beer is way better than natural ice and keystone ice and bud ice.

2.26/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

24 oz. For .....um....99cents. A 90's classic.

Clear golden color. Nice carbonation and a soft, white sticky foam cap. Stick cumps of lace left all over.

Buttery and Sour malt mash, green veggie hops and sweet corn in the nose. A pretty classic American Pilsner aroma really. Sweet and sour malt and yeast pops out most. Maybe a bit of lingering alcohol heat.

The feel is very light and crisp....at first. Then it really becomes much more malty-slick and cloying. Snappy at first with a long, buttery ride after. Kinda smooth but it Feels like a bunch of malty sweet sugars hang on the palate too long. Not a terrible mouthfeel but not exactly what you could call "clean". As time goes on, not even enough time to finish 24 oz of this, the feel goes south. Becomes much more cloying and just plain flat. A very short life span.

The flavor is much like most American Adjunct pilsners, with a buttery, sweet corn tasting malt, but this one is a bit extra sweet. The low level of hop effect is pretty much like a green veggie salad. The yeast brings big time sour pilsner, funky flavor, that mixes with the sweet and sour malty edge. I feel like there might be a bit more flavor in this one, certainly more alcohol than any of the other "standard" cheapo, mass-produced beers available.

1.39/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 24oz can into a 12 oz Lagunitas glass, (forgive me Lagunitas), it's a clear yellow. If it didn't have a small head I would have thought this was a urine sample. Surprisingly, it left a little lacing on the glass.
Aroma of soggy corn and rotting white rice.
Flavor reminds me of soggy corn flakes in water with a couple drops of grain alcohol for flavor.
Surprisingly, this beer had a little body, nowhere near as thin and watery as expected.
I don't remember the last time I consumed an AAL, ten years at least, and it's as bad as I remember. With a listed ABV of 6.9% you'd get a pretty good buzz after a couple of them, probably a hangover the next a.m..
Not too good.

2.11/5  rDev +4.5%

Your typical ice brewed beer. Picked one up in a convenience store because it was cheap. Basic yellow color with quick, dissipating head. Smell is pretty foul and skunky. A good comparison would be Natural or Milwaukee's Best ice. Taste is very watery with hints of straw and bread. Overall not a pleasant experience, but a cheap buzz.

Okay, so I remember beer before the era of the overly hopped craft beer. Hipsters be damned, Icehouse is a good beer, despite not being over hopped and overpriced. Beer doesn't have to be overly bitter and brewed in a bathtub to be good.

4.21/5  rDev +108.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

If you're looking for the best tasting, cheap, 5.5% alcohol beer, ICEHOUSE is the best buy. It has more or a hoppy, almost citrus taste to it, whereas other ICE beers mostly taste like alcohol and water.

4.55/5  rDev +125.2%

One of my first beers, and one of my favorites in the cheapo macro category.
Look-clear yellowish-gold with a decent fluffy white head, strings of carbonation but not overcarbonated unlike most other brews in this category
Smell-sweet corn and malts, with a little hint of earthy/grassy hop
Taste-sweet grainy malts and corn, very very very little grassy hops, I think it tastes great. Imagine taking Steel Reserve, dumping half of it, and cutting it with Miller Lite. Some people on here complained about its "strong" flavor, but if you drink any other ice brew(Bud Ice, Keystone Ice, Natty Ice, Labatt Ice, Busch Ice, Genesee Ice(my other top ice brew), Busch Ice, Milwaukees Best Ice) you will find this is much lighter in taste, but that's not a bad thing. Its very crisp, smooth, and easy to drink.
Feel-crisp and smooth, the carbonation is there but not in your face bubbly. I love it.
Overall- a great super cheap brew. Back up in northern New Hampshire its 99cents a tallboy. I still think I prefer Genesee Ice over this but its still one of my favorite ice brews.

Icehouse from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 51 out of 100 with 1306 ratings