Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Meister Bräu | Miller Brewing Co.

1.63/5
Awful

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-30-2001

3.52/5  rDev +116%

I find it odd that people are calling this beer horrible or that only stupid kids drank it. This is the same beer that you can buy today, it is called Miller Lite. Miller Lite has won gold metals at least 4 times and numerous other awards. With that being said, I recall this beer being very popular with the party crowd, it was always at my family gatherings as we had close ties to Chicago, where Meister Brau was made prior to being purchased by Miller.

2.75/5  rDev +68.7%

2.68/5  rDev +64.4%

After taking a quick look at the other reviews here I have to laugh. In college I thought this was the worst beer I'd ever had, and keep in mind, I was pretty familiar with beer at that point (Watney's Red Barrel, John Courage, Bass, Guinness, Whitbread, Mooshead, Molson, Labatt's, Bud-Miller-Coors, Heineken, Grolsch, etc.). I didn't mind cheap beer, but Meister Brau got to me. And, not unlike other reviewers, I find it the same today. I've probably had other beers that were just as cheaply made, but I can't think of any of them now (perhaps Old Style). So what is it? Well, it's just that there's so much adjunct in use. It's got that sweetness to it. And there are next to no hops. It's almost like the alcohol balances it. Well, at least tries to balance it. I recently saw someone question on-line "What happens if you make beer without hops"? "What's it like?" "Has anyone tried it?" ... I guess whomever came up with this one did! But that's not the real problem. The real problem is that it's clearly fermented pretty fast and hot. It's got a lot of yeasty fruitiness to it. And, I think, some higher alcohols. But on the up side, it's inexpensive.

2.65/5  rDev +62.6%

Watching American Beer made me fell like going back to revisit this beer. I had forgotton how tasteless it is. Poured a pale yello color with white head. Smell is a little sweet but not much else. Taste is difficult to find but is an adequate thirst quencher. Not summer afternoon beer.

2.53/5  rDev +55.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

This beer was (I'm guessing) about 10 years old...and one of the better awful beer I've had.

2.5/5  rDev +53.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The German mug on the can, and of course the name, hint at a fine german beer. Not quite. It pours with a scant head, dark straw in color. Smell is of grain. Decent carbonation. Taste is of grain, corn (grits?) in particular, with mild to non-existant hoppiness. Flavor is of a cheap beer. This beer is hard to find even in cans, and I would like to try it in bottle if I can find it.

2.5/5  rDev +53.4%

2.4/5  rDev +47.2%

Uncle Eddie on National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation chooses his cheap beer wisely! A solid bargain beer.

2.29/5  rDev +40.5%

Presentation: 12 oz can with a white back ground, two gothic looking steins and semi cursive letters … yikes! Never seen a can try to look to intimidating No freshness date.

Appearance: Very pale yellow in colour, a soda like carbonation races to the top selfishly to leave the brew and not help with the head retention.

Smell: Mild pungent aroma from cereal grain as well as a “crap beer smell” consisting of bland graininess.

Taste: Crisp none the less, light bodied to a t and an extremely thin mouth feel of slightly coarse grain. Quick flash of malt flavour, it comes through quick with a graininess in its trail. Hops are strained beyond recognition, hop flavour is totally muted. Raw grits or corn meal comes to mind within the semi coarse graininess. Clean all around with not much flavour to give anywhere it stays in the very dry range of American lagers.

Notes: Nice clean cheap beer, make sure it is ice cold when consuming … anything warmer than ice cold may induce flash backs of pervious crap beer experiences.

2.25/5  rDev +38%

1.83/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Used to drink this a lot in high school. Very affordable. Very bad tasting.

1.8/5  rDev +10.4%

Sampled: 12 oz. can (what else?)

Ahh. Good old "Mess Yer Trou." It takes me back to the days when Dad & I would head over to a little 1/4 mile dirt oval in Binghamton with a cooler of beer in cans. We'd try a different brew every week, just because. This is one of the few that managed to NOT get finished at the track. So when a friend (I use the term loosely) left a can at the house last week...

Aroma: Cheapass beer, straight from the barstool. Pours bright yellow (found this out by watching it come out of the can and into my piehole while looking in a mirror). Taste is pure inexpensive - yeah, there's some malt, but a lot of other things that cows eat as well, and nary a hop to be found. Finishes slightly sweet, with a "ten of these and you'll think that someone hooked up the song birds outside your window to Marshall stacks" hangover promise.

Don't do this to yourself.

1.8/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

350ml aluminium can

sold at a ridiculously low price

A: commercialy blond lager, no head,
S: smelless, same as any other commercialy larger beer at this range of price.
T: thist quenching, watery,
M: light,
D: this is a bad beer, but still it's refresching

1.76/5  rDev +8%

Meister Bräu from Miller Brewing Co.