Milwaukee's Best Ice | Miller Brewing Co.

awful
Read the review
Milwaukee's Best IceMilwaukee's Best Ice

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

ABV increased from 5.9 to 6.9 in 2016.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001

Reviews: 203 | Ratings: 656
3.16/5  rDev +38%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

not bad at all for 97 cents a tallboy! i get a almost roasted/stout taste from this beer. only ice beer ive had that gives me that flavor. might be a go to now. local store has 12-30 packs of this as well

3.44/5  rDev +50.2%

Look - Clear yellow, two fingers of white head, surprising amount of lacing.

Smell - Light corn, metallic, faint alcohol

Taste - Corn grits, apple like sweetness, clean alcohol throughout

Feel - Not quite medium body , loads of carbonation. Tiny bit of warmth if you pay attention. Goes down like angry water.

Overall - One of the best ice beers in my opinion. Gives a malt liquor vibe while being a few dimes cheaper. Enjoyable.

1.59/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

So I'm on a macro brew kick. I'm not sure why. I tried the MB red last night, and it was surprisingly not terrible. I am so over ice beer but this is what is in my mason jar. Let's do this.

Dark urine color with lots of foamy head that dies slower than I figured. Nose sours as it sits a little. Serious adjunct action.

Taste is pretty bad. Sour and grainy with a booze and metal aftertaste. Yeah, this is pretty bad. I enjoy lots of macro brew in the proper context, but this would be no fun in any situation I've ever been in. So glad I only got one (albeit a 24oz). Pretty damn close to undrinkable.

4.72/5  rDev +106.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Since I discovered it ,it's my go to beer. Not to hoppy ,not to grainy,doesn't taste watered down, and abv perfect. This beer really reminds me of Strohs beer of the 60's( when beer was beer), not the junk big brewers are giving us now. This beer holds it's carbonation a long time in the glass , it doesn't quit it's bubbles in two minutes like most beers today. Dollar for dollar and ounce for ounce, this is the best beer on the market. This is old school good! Go ahead, pay more for something else if it makes you feel good, but this make me feel good.

2.14/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a shade of dark urine with a very thin head into my glass. Sweet and grainy malt in the nose. Sickening sweet malt upfront with no hop character. Finishes weak. I suppose the saving grace is that it's $1.29 a can and well, you could do so much better. Just another week until payday.

2.95/5  rDev +28.8%

32oz can BB 5/1/17 poured into a fishbowl glass at fridge temp. Pours a pleasant golden copper color with short lived white head. It does manage to keep a paper thin head as it's consumed. Smell is just a hint of sweetness & corn. I would normally put a can of ice beer/malt liquor in the freezer for 20 minutes before consuming which would eliminate any smell. Taste is sweet & corn with a slight sourness on the back end that I do not care for. Mouthfeel is sharp carbonation followed by a very heavy soapy/oily film on the mouth. Overall, this beer will serve a purpose. I paid $2.34 for a quart and will be feeling it when I'm done. I do believe there are better options in the low cost AAL world, and I will keep looking.

4.4/5  rDev +92.1%

This has become my beer of choice since the 6.9% abv was put in place late last year. The price at my local store did not even go up, it still sits at $17.99 for a 30 pack which is an amazing deal. I did the math, there is 734.85mL of pure alcohol in a 30 pack of Milwaukee's Best Ice. There is only 700mL of pure alcohol in a standard 1.75L bottle of liquor at 40% abv making the beer a more economical choice especially if your spirit of choice is above $17.99 (which my go to $19.99 bacard rum is).

Hey, Where can you get 24 ounces of beer for 99 cents? I've been drinking this for 10 years or more.Sometimes more than I should, but it's a good buzz. With the alcohol increase, it's even better. Micro beers are overpriced and gross tasting. I'm an old time drinker,(red,white and blue,Colt 45, SML, Schmidts,Sheaffer,Old Milwaukee, damn that one cost me a divorce, oh well. Enjoy!

3.73/5  rDev +62.9%

Pours out a nice golden color with a thick soapy slightly off white head. Darker than an average macro lager in color on both the body and the head. Nice streaming bubbles.
Smell is very bready with a metallic watery smell. Maybe even a bit of sweetness on the scent. The sweet does not smell like a corn sweet.
Taste is also a touch sweet and malty. Maybe the sweet smell is coming more from the malt than the adjunct? The taste also has a slight touch of metallic water taste as well.
Mouth feel borders on the medium side with a slick wet finish.
Overall the beer really does not taste that bad. With a 5.9% ABV there is definitely more flavor than just an average macro lager. The metallic smell is more promininent on the nose than in the taste and really does not detract much. I look forward to seeing what the new recipe of this beer will offer up in addition to a higher ABV.

4.63/5  rDev +102.2%

Good! Flat out! Now that I've had the 6.9 alv 24 ounce it will be my beer until I find something else, and I'm not looking. Great taste, smooth going down, looks inviting, feels light but after a few it's a sledge hammer. Overall 5 star for me. I grew up drinking Old English, Schlitz Malt liquor, Colt 45. So this is in my wheelhouse

For the kind of beer it is I found this better than expected. (32 ounce can was like 1.50 at a local supermarket).

Enough alcohol for a buzz, not so much you become an obnoxious drunk. We'll see how I feel in the morning.

2.96/5  rDev +29.3%

looks nice, golden appearance leaves a few spots of lace.

grains and sweet corn on the nose, taste is basicaly the same, noticable booze. overall pretty drinkable and tasteless but its still beer :D

3.1/5  rDev +35.4%

A - really I don't know why I could down grade the appearance, it's clear golden, with a white head that sticks and leaves spotty lacing like lagers are supposed to be
S - corn, corn, corn, light grains, slight peppery bite
T - corn, light grains, slight bite to it, honestly not bad
M - nice and light, alcohol covered, aftertaste is more corn, light grains, slight bitter bite
O - you know there's a reason this is a beer you can find anywhere, it has the light cheap lager thing down, I prefer it and the other old mil's over the other aal's too

2.38/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A chip off the Old Miller block.

Low color, high alcohol, fizzy yellow stuff with a kick. Usually I don't notice alcohol in these ice beers but there seems to be a touch of it here. I can't really say it doesn't also have a slightly different flavor profile than the other ices because I usually drink them so cold any flavor there is iced over. Yes, that was a pun.

This stuff will get you buzzy as a bee.

When you're scrounging the couch cushions for change hoping to find enough for beer this would be a logical choice.

2.53/5  rDev +10.5%

I drank this out of a 40 so i could not really see the look, however it looked like it would have a nice head due to its high level of carbonation. It had a very overpowering scent of sweet grains and wheat. The taste has a strong malt flavor, while being very smooth.

2.04/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Bright yellow, 1/2" white head, retention sucks. Lots of boozy alcohol in the aroma, sweet corn, metal.

Taste is hot alcohol, bitterness is substantial actually despite almost no hop flavors. Has lots of flavor, just not the ideal kind. If you're drinking this, you want cheap, alcohol.

3.08/5  rDev +34.5%

This is a bargain when you're poor and need to get a solid buzz 3 times for cheap. It's got a boozy taste and finish given its rather low alcohol which has gone back and forth from 5.5 to 5.9%. Otherwise it's your typical cheap adjunct ice lager.

Terrible.

I don't know how to review a beer, so just take what you want. I'm not going to click the link that says "How to Review a Beer," I'm busy.

This beer is THICK, HEAVY-BODIED, SYRUPY.

Is like CORN. CORN Syrup. Thick like Syrup.

Sickeningly SWEET (I hate it when people say that, but I said it.)

Ever had a SWEET beer? Me either. YUCK. The first time I drank this beer I was already SMASHED, so it went down SOOOO SMOOTH, seriously-- it IS an easy drink if you are BEYOND the realm of TASTE.

But if this is your first drink of the evening, your mouth will have trouble handling it. It is heavy like you would expect a stout to be. It has zero bitterness, which some people may like, but the trade-off is that it is disgustingly SWEET instead.

I have not drank beer in a very, very long time-- and have only recently been trying some random beers-- typically macro brews since they are what's available-- I know it's not REALLY relevant to this review, but it may help anybody else to know that I do NOT like beers such as Natural Light/Ice (too watery/bitter from memory alone), Coors Light (too watery-- no flavor-- disgusting), Keystone Light (water)--- The only macro brews I have had recently that I liked was Budweiser and Bud Light, but even then, I got sick of the taste of both--- the nostalgia wore off quickly and Bud Light has zero body or depth and Bud reg is too CORNY, *almost* sweet as well.

I consider this beer to be somewhere BETWEEN Bud Light and Budweiser, but closest to Budweiser in all aspects-- look, feel, taste, etc--- irritating after a few drinks.

I think I like something that is LIGHTER in body, but has the depth of flavor. Like, I said, I do not know how to review beer-- frankly, I do not know what HOPS taste like alone since there is nothing else I have ever consumed that has contained hops besides beer, so I do not know what "hoppy" means. Nor do I know what "malty" means unless we're talking about London Pub Malt Vinegar that you would have on fish.

For the price, I don't think many would be as picky as I am-- but I'm not just looking to get drunk, I'm looking to enjoy the taste. If you are looking for a college beer (which I'm well beyond at this point in my life) or a beer that's good to funnel/beer bong, then this would be great.

It's so syrupy, it's almost FLAT. Carbonation is hardly noticeable, but it's there. It's just not for me. I only bought it because I seriously thought I was being a LITTLE snobby.

2.59/5  rDev +13.1%

Alcohol is present on the nose as well as the tongue. At 5.9% the booze starts to shine through. We used to sell the hell out of "suitcases" of the stuff. Color is straw. Head retained itself. Smelled of adjuncts and booze. Tasted smooth, but the booze shone through.

4.09/5  rDev +78.6%

L: fine. yellow. lagerish
S: Your typical skunky but less skunky than typical. smells more alcoholish than skunkyish
T: fine. smooth as silk. teensy weensy notes of both hops and malt on the finish. remarkably satisfying. not to hoppy, not to malty.
F: surprisingly medium bodied.

Snobbers gonna snob. This beer is just right on the low-priced man's tongue and it gets me buzzed quickly because I can down them or just sip them.

2.91/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Sampled back on Monday 10/5/15. Comes in a 12-ounce can. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage "MILLER HIGH LIFE" goblet.

Brew pours a golden straw-yellow in color with a thin white head. Some light spotty lacing was seen when sipped. Aroma is of sweet corn (like many of this brew style does) and grain for the most part. The taste is about the same with some 'alcohol' and some hops also. Drinkable but nothing special. Better than expected for a cheap beer. Lighter bodied with good carbonation.

3.56/5  rDev +55.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. This brew is much better than what the Beer average beer connoisseur would consider. A clear golden color with a minimal white head. A nice malt flavor that is very refreshing. A pleasant and affordable surprise.

2.48/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

12 oz can served in a goblet.

Fizzy amber body with a quickly vanishing head.

Very light body with prickly carbonation.

Aroma: faint and lightly sweet

Flavor: light hops and minimal malts with an aftertaste of corn.

O: drinkable; i.e., a bit better than expected.

2.95/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

ultimate getting drunk college beer pong.. great memories. can crush it and higher in alcohol for same price as the regular. what more can you ask for.

2.53/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's brewed to be a cheap beer and delivers same. Very thin, low malt flavor, almost no hops and corn corn corn. Another good example of macro beer.

Milwaukee's Best Ice from Miller Brewing Co.