Milwaukee's Best Ice | Miller Brewing Co.

Milwaukee's Best IceMilwaukee's Best Ice

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001

View: Beers
Reviews by yeastlovehoppiness_greg:
2.3/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

This beer was surprisingly good for a cheap get drunk kinda beer. It has a clear amber red appearance. there is a this malt smell. It has a malty taste with a dry aftertaste. It is slightly skunky at the end. It goes down pretty hard since it is pretty volatile.

4.7/5  rDev +126%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L: Very attrative..almost seductively inviting. Pours with a wonderful, light and creamy head. S: A hint of beer smell...probably because this is beer. T: Fantastic surprise. A truly great experience. One of the best beers anyone's standards. Creamy, smooth with fresh, crisp hops. F: Very satisfying and pure drinkability. One of the top 5 beers I have ever had....and I have been drinking many, many beers for 60 years! Overall: Craft and micro brews cannot hold a candle to this legend - plus at 5.9 ABV it ranks at the top of a truly man's beer. Pure craftmanship at its finest!

2.78/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

It’s an ice beer, what’d ya expect? Cheap (99¢ for a tall boy), boozy, and smooth is what you’re getting. It smells weird so drink from the can ice cold. It’s pretty carbonated as well and pours a golden color. For an ice beer, it’s pretty good.

3.44/5  rDev +65.4%

Look - Clear yellow, two fingers of white head, surprising amount of lacing.

Smell - Light corn, metallic, faint alcohol

Taste - Corn grits, apple like sweetness, clean alcohol throughout

Feel - Not quite medium body , loads of carbonation. Tiny bit of warmth if you pay attention. Goes down like angry water.

Overall - One of the best ice beers in my opinion. Gives a malt liquor vibe while being a few dimes cheaper. Enjoyable.

1.16/5  rDev -44.2%

Appearance: Pale golden, with a huge head.

Aroma: Corny, adjunct. Nothing more.

Taste: Watery body here, naturally, and light in flavor as well. Like beer-flavored water, maybe, with a little alcohol burn at the finish, like a shot of vodka in a shite beer. Absolutely awful. Made my tummy hurt, and with that, this is one of the worst beers I’ve ever had.

3.2/5  rDev +53.8%

Not bad for such a very cheap beer.

Poured into a 16oz pint glass.

Leaves a small head that goes quick, little lacing. Darker yellow color.

Smells like corn and booze.

Tastes like corn more than anything. Kind of a harsh aftertaste that many complain about. I honestly like it, but it's very polarizing. You will probably love or hate this beer. Not really boozy.

Went down okay even at room temperature, but not the smoothest either. Aftertaste wasn't bad.

I honestly really like this beer and the price can't be beat. Just don't bring a 30 pack to a party expecting everyone to like it.

3.16/5  rDev +51.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

not bad at all for 97 cents a tallboy! i get a almost roasted/stout taste from this beer. only ice beer ive had that gives me that flavor. might be a go to now. local store has 12-30 packs of this as well

3.73/5  rDev +79.3%

Pours out a nice golden color with a thick soapy slightly off white head. Darker than an average macro lager in color on both the body and the head. Nice streaming bubbles.
Smell is very bready with a metallic watery smell. Maybe even a bit of sweetness on the scent. The sweet does not smell like a corn sweet.
Taste is also a touch sweet and malty. Maybe the sweet smell is coming more from the malt than the adjunct? The taste also has a slight touch of metallic water taste as well.
Mouth feel borders on the medium side with a slick wet finish.
Overall the beer really does not taste that bad. With a 5.9% ABV there is definitely more flavor than just an average macro lager. The metallic smell is more promininent on the nose than in the taste and really does not detract much. I look forward to seeing what the new recipe of this beer will offer up in addition to a higher ABV.

4.72/5  rDev +126.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Since I discovered it ,it's my go to beer. Not to hoppy ,not to grainy,doesn't taste watered down, and abv perfect. This beer really reminds me of Strohs beer of the 60's( when beer was beer), not the junk big brewers are giving us now. This beer holds it's carbonation a long time in the glass , it doesn't quit it's bubbles in two minutes like most beers today. Dollar for dollar and ounce for ounce, this is the best beer on the market. This is old school good! Go ahead, pay more for something else if it makes you feel good, but this make me feel good.

4.77/5  rDev +129.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Back to 5.9% from 6.9%?

I've rated this beer based upon the following characteristics:

- Very economical
- Excellent value to consumer
- Miller/Coors production quality controls

I'm soooo disappointed that this has been recently lowered from 6.9% ABV back down to 5.9% ABV. However I will continue to be a fan because of its consumer value and taste.

2.57/5  rDev +23.6%

Let me preface by saying that I consider myself a connoisseur of "cheap" beers, and this is a very inoffensive beer to drink. It pours to a lackluster head that quickly dissipates, but let's be honest, this is the type of beer you drink if you're interested in getting a cheap buzz, so looks aren't that important. It tastes VERY strongly of corn and smells incredibly grainy. I'll be perfectly clear when I say I didn't like this beer at first, but after spending some time with it, it's not bad. That's the gist of this beer; you'll either find it a perfectly drinkable beer or you'll hate it. Generally, there's no in between for this type of beer. Drink it on a full stomach, though, because that 5.9 ABV will creep up on you if you drink it during a cut on an empty stomach out of a tallboy.

3.18/5  rDev +52.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a crystal clear pale yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation and faint medium golden yellow highlights. The beer has a two finger tall dense foamy white head that quickly reduces to a large patch of mottled thin film surrounded by a very thin film covering the reminder of the surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to heavy amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of grainy malt and corn adjuncts with a light aroma of grassy hops.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of grainy malts with corn and rice adjuncts. That is followed by light flavors of grassy hops which imparts a light amount of bitterness which fades away quickly.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Crisp

O: This was much better than I was expecting with an easy to drink light overall flavor and aroma - alcohol was well hidden and it was more enjoyable than I remembered it from my college days. Not a beer that I will be running out to get again but not bad.

Hey, Where can you get 24 ounces of beer for 99 cents? I've been drinking this for 10 years or more.Sometimes more than I should, but it's a good buzz. With the alcohol increase, it's even better. Micro beers are overpriced and gross tasting. I'm an old time drinker,(red,white and blue,Colt 45, SML, Schmidts,Sheaffer,Old Milwaukee, damn that one cost me a divorce, oh well. Enjoy!

4.4/5  rDev +111.5%

This has become my beer of choice since the 6.9% abv was put in place late last year. The price at my local store did not even go up, it still sits at $17.99 for a 30 pack which is an amazing deal. I did the math, there is 734.85mL of pure alcohol in a 30 pack of Milwaukee's Best Ice. There is only 700mL of pure alcohol in a standard 1.75L bottle of liquor at 40% abv making the beer a more economical choice especially if your spirit of choice is above $17.99 (which my go to $19.99 bacard rum is).

4.63/5  rDev +122.6%

Good! Flat out! Now that I've had the 6.9 alv 24 ounce it will be my beer until I find something else, and I'm not looking. Great taste, smooth going down, looks inviting, feels light but after a few it's a sledge hammer. Overall 5 star for me. I grew up drinking Old English, Schlitz Malt liquor, Colt 45. So this is in my wheelhouse

2.69/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a pale golden color with a one finger white head that recedes quickly to nothing.
Smells pepper, and full of yeastiness, not liking this.
Tastes like a typical adjunct lager, except this one is not overbearingly sweet. Typical light yeast, light bread, and notes of grassy hops.
Mouthfeel is thin, with a crisp finish.
Overall, a bit better than average compared to it's competition.

3.15/5  rDev +51.4%

Appearance – Typical clear yellow in color with a lot of carbonation and a big white fluffy head that went down in 10 seconds.

Smell – The sole aroma that I could pick out of the glass was pure American grain.

Taste – The creamed corn was in effect at the very first sip. They managed to hide the booze better than most of the other “ice” style of beers I’ve had and the dreaded Gummi-Bear sweetness was absent. Overall this wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Mouthfeel – The carbonation was pretty good, actually, making the beer crisp and somewhat refreshing. I’d say that it was a shade over light-bodied, too.

Drinkability – I performed this tasting over my sink, thinking that if I passed out the giant 24 ounce can would fall down in the drain where it belonged. But, all in all, this wasn’t that bad. Hell, I might even finish this blue and silver bullet.

2.75/5  rDev +32.2%

1.96/5  rDev -5.8%

2.36/5  rDev +13.5%

3.27/5  rDev +57.2%

Good clear pale apperance with some lace, clean aroma with a hint of alcohol. Quite crisp with a light body, thin on the malt with extremely faint hops. Alcohol shows that it is there as there is not much to hind behind. Not too bad for an ice beer at $5.99 at 12-pack its a bargin.

1.25/5  rDev -39.9%

1.99/5  rDev -4.3%

Milwaukee's Best Ice from Miller Brewing Co.