Milwaukee's Best Ice | Miller Brewing Co.

awful
Read the review
Milwaukee's Best IceMilwaukee's Best Ice

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

ABV increased from 5.9 to 6.9 in 2016.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001

Hey, Where can you get 24 ounces of beer for 99 cents? I've been drinking this for 10 years or more.Sometimes more than I should, but it's a good buzz. With the alcohol increase, it's even better. Micro beers are overpriced and gross tasting. I'm an old time drinker,(red,white and blue,Colt 45, SML, Schmidts,Sheaffer,Old Milwaukee, damn that one cost me a divorce, oh well. Enjoy!

Simply a very good beer at a very good price!

4.9/5  rDev +114.9%

4.72/5  rDev +107%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Since I discovered it ,it's my go to beer. Not to hoppy ,not to grainy,doesn't taste watered down, and abv perfect. This beer really reminds me of Strohs beer of the 60's( when beer was beer), not the junk big brewers are giving us now. This beer holds it's carbonation a long time in the glass , it doesn't quit it's bubbles in two minutes like most beers today. Dollar for dollar and ounce for ounce, this is the best beer on the market. This is old school good! Go ahead, pay more for something else if it makes you feel good, but this make me feel good.

4.72/5  rDev +107%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The scores I gave above are for the Milwaukee's best ice 5.9, the 6.9 is absolutely terrible I sure hope it's not replacing the 5.9.!!

4.7/5  rDev +106.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L: Very attrative..almost seductively inviting. Pours with a wonderful, light and creamy head. S: A hint of beer smell...probably because this is beer. T: Fantastic surprise. A truly great experience. One of the best beers ever....by anyone's standards. Creamy, smooth with fresh, crisp hops. F: Very satisfying and pure drinkability. One of the top 5 beers I have ever had....and I have been drinking many, many beers for 60 years! Overall: Craft and micro brews cannot hold a candle to this legend - plus at 5.9 ABV it ranks at the top of a truly man's beer. Pure craftmanship at its finest!

4.63/5  rDev +103.1%

Good! Flat out! Now that I've had the 6.9 alv 24 ounce it will be my beer until I find something else, and I'm not looking. Great taste, smooth going down, looks inviting, feels light but after a few it's a sledge hammer. Overall 5 star for me. I grew up drinking Old English, Schlitz Malt liquor, Colt 45. So this is in my wheelhouse

4.51/5  rDev +97.8%

I don't think this beer has a poor taste to it like others have said.
It's really true that it gets a bad review because of it's "cheap" price before anyone has ever even tried it. I actually had a friend with me once and we had $20 between the two of us and the goal of the night was to get drunk on that $20.
I grabbed a 30 pack of this for $12 (Oklahoma) and he looked at me like I was bat $hit crazy and said "Are you kidding me? That is disgusting!?" So, I asked him if he had tried it and he said that if it is cheaper than Keystone, it's basically a biohazard.

And then he tried it.. changed his tune and said that it wasn't bad for a cheap drunk and that it was cost-efficient.

Therefore: Try It.

4.5/5  rDev +97.4%

4.4/5  rDev +93%

This has become my beer of choice since the 6.9% abv was put in place late last year. The price at my local store did not even go up, it still sits at $17.99 for a 30 pack which is an amazing deal. I did the math, there is 734.85mL of pure alcohol in a 30 pack of Milwaukee's Best Ice. There is only 700mL of pure alcohol in a standard 1.75L bottle of liquor at 40% abv making the beer a more economical choice especially if your spirit of choice is above $17.99 (which my go to $19.99 bacard rum is).

4.39/5  rDev +92.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Good beer for getting buzzed up

4.25/5  rDev +86.4%

4.2/5  rDev +84.2%

Great beer for people who have NO money and want to get drunk.

4.09/5  rDev +79.4%

L: fine. yellow. lagerish
S: Your typical skunky but less skunky than typical. smells more alcoholish than skunkyish
T: fine. smooth as silk. teensy weensy notes of both hops and malt on the finish. remarkably satisfying. not to hoppy, not to malty.
F: surprisingly medium bodied.

Snobbers gonna snob. This beer is just right on the low-priced man's tongue and it gets me buzzed quickly because I can down them or just sip them.

3.95/5  rDev +73.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

I bought a 24 pack of this for $13 at the local liquor store just to try it out. I've drank it warm and cold, straight from the can, and from my beer glass.
It's a golden yellow color, similar to what you'd expect from most cheap American macrobreweries. Brief high head that settles down really quickly, leaving just a circle of thin foam around the edge of the glass. Minimal lacing. I wish there would have been more. Smell is similar to most cheap beers, sweetness, corn, and malty wheat, but I thought it was stronger and more defined than I usually expect from cheap beers.
Taste was overwhelmingly metallic(probably because of the can) water, corn, malt, and kinda a weird understaste that reminded me of bubblegum. A sweet short-lasting aftertaste. The mouthfeel was ok. Not too impressive. It was fairly smooth, which I liked.
As far as cheap beers go, this is my favorite. I don't expect much for $.50/can, and this one surpassed my expectations. It's got the strongest most defined flavor IMHO, a higher alcohol content than many of the other cheap beers, so it's great for a party, but also really easy drinking for just a day relaxing.

3.95/5  rDev +73.2%

Why I like this...I cannot tell you. But I do. It is very drinkable for a cheap beer. Perhaps it's the 'ice brewing' (aka extra alcohol) that makes this one extra drinkable. Very sweet, very corn-tasting. Would rather drink this than other cheap brews.

3.94/5  rDev +72.8%

To me, tastes like a Milwaukee's Best concentrated. And I like Milwaukee's Best sometimes. Hell, I like most beers, sometimes. (Most. Not all.) This is a good beer.

Serve this one cold, very cold. Kind of sweet taste, typical of a lager that approaches this level of alcohol. A bit of alcohol on the tongue. But not overpowering.

It will go with any food you choose. Burgers and Dogs? Check. Spaghetti? Pizza? Wings? Check, check Check! Cheese??? Check!

The same cannot be said for a Guinness, say, or that hoppy IPA, or that sour lambic or the thick and tasty stout. They all have their place and time. But for the all around go with for any occasion, this is very good.

At nearly 6% ABV, this may not be the best session beer for some.

I recommend trying it. What the hell? You don't have much to lose, and you might just find an overlooked gem - to your taste buds anyway. And who cares what any body else tastebuds say?

3.93/5  rDev +72.4%

Pours a pale golden color and has a decent head retention with a nice lace. Smell is mostly corn, but I can detect a hint of malt. Goes down pretty and is very dry with basically no bitterness. Like the smell, the taste is mostly corn, but does have that ice flavor to it. I don't care for adjunct lagers very much, but rating this with the style in mind, it is a pretty good beer.

3.91/5  rDev +71.5%

Beast Ice, your number-one choice in beers nicknamed "The Beast."

Reviewed within the macro ice beer style! Compared to other macro ice lagers.

A: Lighter color than expected. Depending on the background, color ranges from amber to gold. I expected darker for some reason. Leaves a finger of foam after a soft pour that turns into a solid ring with patchy foam in the center. Some modest lacing. Yes, lacing.

S: Typical Miller product with an emphasis on corn, creamed corn, and corn on the cob. Metallic bitterness, alcohol, hay, and green tea. Somewhat inviting for the style.

T: Once again, typical Miller product. I swear that everything Miller brews is just a variation of one beer. Corn, metallic, grain. Really not much there outside of the sweet/sour thing. Sweet up front but bitterness chimes in quickly and lasts throughout. Bitterness does serve to balance the beer and keep it from becoming cloying. Think "drinkability." "Old man beer" is not something that I seek out in the taste department but it works for MBI.

M: The most enjoyable thing about this beer. Medium-high carbonation. There is a creaminess that helps to dull the taste and make it more palatable. Slick and somewhat substantial. To me it's almost chewy. I'd say MBI is unique among ice beers in having such a substantial mouthfeel.

O: I'm no stranger to ice beers. I regularly enjoy Icehouse, Bud Ice, Busch Ice, Natural Ice, and Keystone Ice. I've had many more including Molson Ice, Genessee Ice, and Mickey's Ice. Milwaukee's Best Ice is unique in that it specializes in that classic "old man beer" flavor (think PBR, Old Milwaukee, Grain Belt, and Utica Club.) I used to dislike Beast Ice but now I buy it at least once per month. If you drink ice beers this is worth throwing into your rotation. Until a few years ago it was consistently $5.59 for a 12 pack. I believe it has gone up to at least $6.59. There are no pretenses here, this is meant to be affordable.

For the record, I believe that Miller changed the recipe on this beer when they switched to the current label circa 2010. I emailed Miller and they said there was no change, but other beers of the same ilk have left the same impression on me in similar circumstances.

3.84/5  rDev +68.4%

Ah, the Yeti. Perfect for the times when it's all about becoming intoxicated as cheaply as possible. The kind of beer that should only be consumed from large containers. Aromas of crisp grass and sweet vegetables. Sometimes it has a sweet, malty flavor; sometimes it tastes dry and grainy; sometimes it tastes like candy. There's usually a slight metallic aftertaste. It never tastes bad, though. I reach for the Beast Ice whenever the urge arises to sit on my porch and drink a 40 on a hot afternoon.

3.82/5  rDev +67.5%

Pours nicely out of the can, seeing I can't find it in a bottle...don't even know if it comes that way. Not a lot of head and little lasting power. Light lacing around my mug that does cling to the side of the mug. The color is a medium light amber rating a 7 on the SRM chart. Smells like malt and corn, a little on the musty side. Quite bland on the tongue and palette...not a lot of zip. Has a bit of a bite and a harshness that gets your attention. Oooo but the real fruit of the matter the buzz of the alcohol hits you quickly. Something about the harshness and buzz that gives it a reserved corner in my fridge. Now for the availability and the price. Here is where this beer shines. I like the taste....it grows on you. If the flavor is not quite to your liking....have a couple of your choice brews and then have these. Talk about getting a bang for the buck, this is where it is at. 5.9 percent of the thing we drink beer for at less than $.50 a 12oz...can't see where you can go wrong. The Beast is like a staple of beer in my place. This is a real party beer, good for those who don't want to shell out a lot of green for a good time. And those who come for the free ride...beggar's can't be choosers.

Milwaukee's Best Ice from Miller Brewing Co.