Milwaukee's Best Ice | Miller Brewing Co.

awful
Read the review
Milwaukee's Best IceMilwaukee's Best Ice

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

ABV increased from 5.9 to 6.9 in 2016.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001

2.47/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from a 12oz. can.

Appearance: Ginger ale yellow color body with a surprisingly large head.

Smell: Weird, not natural aroma really and actually smells like ice.

Taste: Taste of mild tropical fruit along with corn.

Mouthfeel: Crisp feel but blink and the feel is gone.

Overall: Could do worse but also could do better.

3.91/5  rDev +71.5%

Beast Ice, your number-one choice in beers nicknamed "The Beast."

Reviewed within the macro ice beer style! Compared to other macro ice lagers.

A: Lighter color than expected. Depending on the background, color ranges from amber to gold. I expected darker for some reason. Leaves a finger of foam after a soft pour that turns into a solid ring with patchy foam in the center. Some modest lacing. Yes, lacing.

S: Typical Miller product with an emphasis on corn, creamed corn, and corn on the cob. Metallic bitterness, alcohol, hay, and green tea. Somewhat inviting for the style.

T: Once again, typical Miller product. I swear that everything Miller brews is just a variation of one beer. Corn, metallic, grain. Really not much there outside of the sweet/sour thing. Sweet up front but bitterness chimes in quickly and lasts throughout. Bitterness does serve to balance the beer and keep it from becoming cloying. Think "drinkability." "Old man beer" is not something that I seek out in the taste department but it works for MBI.

M: The most enjoyable thing about this beer. Medium-high carbonation. There is a creaminess that helps to dull the taste and make it more palatable. Slick and somewhat substantial. To me it's almost chewy. I'd say MBI is unique among ice beers in having such a substantial mouthfeel.

O: I'm no stranger to ice beers. I regularly enjoy Icehouse, Bud Ice, Busch Ice, Natural Ice, and Keystone Ice. I've had many more including Molson Ice, Genessee Ice, and Mickey's Ice. Milwaukee's Best Ice is unique in that it specializes in that classic "old man beer" flavor (think PBR, Old Milwaukee, Grain Belt, and Utica Club.) I used to dislike Beast Ice but now I buy it at least once per month. If you drink ice beers this is worth throwing into your rotation. Until a few years ago it was consistently $5.59 for a 12 pack. I believe it has gone up to at least $6.59. There are no pretenses here, this is meant to be affordable.

For the record, I believe that Miller changed the recipe on this beer when they switched to the current label circa 2010. I emailed Miller and they said there was no change, but other beers of the same ilk have left the same impression on me in similar circumstances.

3.5/5  rDev +53.5%

2.5/5  rDev +9.6%

2.26/5  rDev -0.9%

24oz can into hourglass

Look is pale yellow with one stream of rising bubbles, small sudsy head. Smell is almost non-existant. I have to strain to pick up some metallic corn. Taste is corn and grain at first, followed by alcohol and a sickly-sweet 'ice' flavor. Kinda like steel reserve mixed with rubber. Not altogether unpleasant, but not enjoyable either.

Not sure what the appeal of this one is; it seems like it should have a higher ABV. Still, I finished the can..

2.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Me and 2 of my friends were recently sitting around having a slow night so we decide to go on over to the good ole liquor store and pick up a 30 pack of this for only $14. So we all crack one open, With no smell to speak of, A decent taste, along with a decent mouthfeel. As we tear through the 30 pack we all start to get drunk...At a fast pace. If there is one thing this beer is good at it is getting people SMASHED. Seriously, a 30 pack of this could get 6 or 7 lightweights smashed off of their ass. No, It isn't particularly good tasting, But I'm not a beer snob. Pick up a few cases for a party of 15, And I can guarantee you that everybody will be wasted by the time it is gone.

2.48/5  rDev +8.8%

OK looking but not great, a little white head with some lacing topped a clear, light yellow, fizzy brew.

Smell is quite grainy and a little grassy, without a whole lot else going on, other than perhaps a touch of sweetness.

Taste is sweet, grainy, with a little grass and basically zero hops.

Body is light, well carbonated, with a slick, sweet aftertaste.

Overall it's not my fav for the cheep lager category. Amongst Milwalkee's best brands, I prefer the light. It's funny to even have a preference on this sort of beer, but hey, back in the day we drank a lot of this stuff. It's good for what it's good for, cheep beer, very cheep. This one is fine in that respect.

2.25/5  rDev -1.3%

2.75/5  rDev +20.6%

2.5/5  rDev +9.6%

1.5/5  rDev -34.2%

Milwaukee's Best Ice from Miller Brewing Co.