Miller Genuine Draft

Gots
SCORE
Awful
Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft
Notes: Miller Genuine Draft delivers a fresh from the tap taste through its proprietary "cold-filtered four times" brewing process. Introduced nationally in 1986, Miller Genuine Draft was born as the original cold-filtered packaged draft beer. Today, Miller Genuine Draft is reinforcing its status as the best draft beer in a bottle.
View: Beers
Reviews: 699 | Ratings: 2,610 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
TedHead from Illinois

2.44/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Bright golden with a foamy white head. Smells like corn and the taste does come through, but it's not super sweet. Not terrible but honestly I for down reason like miller lite better.

Aug 24, 2020
Steve555 from Wales

2.84/5  rDev +25.1%

Poured from a can 500mls. Look is crystal yellow/brown with a small dissipating head, leaving a broken ring of froth. Smells of stewed vegetables. Taste is grainy with corn syrup and watery thin. Finish is quite dry mildly sweet on the palate cleaned up y carbonation. At the end of the day it doesn't have any real off notes like a lot of AALs. I thought it would be worse, certainly better than gluey Coors anyway.

Aug 14, 2020
realJohnnyHobo from Maryland

2.53/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Not too sure why the 1990s enjoyed large shoulder-padded jackets, neon colors, and having an unpasteurized beer in the bottle/ can form. I suppose if you look at MGD from the perspective of what it really is, Miller High Life that doesn't have pasteurization but instead a triple cold filtered system that was invented for this beer then perhaps you can say it is different, but it really isn't. I have heard rumors that this beer has beer on tap, unsure why, but if it is simply High Life unpasteurized then wouldn't MGD and High Life be the same product if served on the same draught system?

One of my biggest drawbacks is the high carbonation and I had a spell of indigestion from a sixer a few years ago and that had stopped me from buying it until recently.

Aug 06, 2020
alcoholicarrogance from Maine

3.41/5  rDev +50.2%

I'm not a big macrobrew drinker but when I want a nice cheap beer I usually go with Miller High Life, Miller Lite, Rolling Rock, or Shock Top, with Miller High Life being my first choice almost every time. I saw this in the store for $11 for a 12 pack and figured it would be worth trying out and comparing to the other Miller products. I gotta say, this is pretty good! It kind of tastes like a well aerated Miller High Life but with more of a crisp and clean finish than its predecessor. I think this tops High Life. The bottle has a cool black label, the flavor is good and refreshing, it's carbonated but pretty chuggable, and its just as cheap as High Life. It's certainly no Rising Tide Back Cove pilsner or Sierra Nevada pale ale, but it's a god amongst macro adjunct lagers.

Jun 28, 2020
Gajo74 from New York

2.2/5  rDev -3.1%

From the can, it pours a clear pale yellow color. A large foam head displays good retention and a persistent film throughout; lots of lacing.

The nose displays notes of corn adjunct. Aromas of bready and grainy malt display some sweetness, however, it is somewhat overshadowed by notes of sour lemon and green apples.

The taste opens with flavors of grainy and bready malt that display moderate sweetness. However, as with the aroma, there is a touch of lemon and apple like tartness that is a bit off putting. There is little to no discernible hops flavor or bitterness. Light bodied with a carbonation that is on par, thankfully not too fizzy. The mouthfeel is somewhat coarse but smooths out. The finish is dry with hints of corn.

I only had 1/3rd of this 32oz can and used the rest for baking. I was turned off by the sour flavor. This is a hard pass for me next time.

May 27, 2020
LampertLand from Canada

2.64/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Miller Genuine Draft @ , served from a cold 341 ml bottle , as my sister liked her fav American beer , easy drinking for a draft beer , lead too so many good times at the beach/lake/lagoon

May 17, 2020
joebrazil3 from Illinois

3.5/5  rDev +54.2%

Whether I buy this or Hamm's at the store depends on a) whether I can find Hamm's--it's not everywhere in the midwest--or b) is Labatt's Blue available? I find the ratings here confusing: is MGD really worse than Miller High Life? The ingredients and brewing process are better. Note to Miller: stop using hop extract for MGD, please. The family and I did a taste test of four Miller products, and this won, I perceive the 55 score as a judgment of its quality against much better beer. As an American Adjunct Lager, it's awfully good.

Update 5/22/20: I'm bumping it down to 3.5 across the board. It's still quite good, and I will drink it with pleasure, but the aforementioned Hamm's is almost as good and easier on the wallet, while MGD doesn't compare to the beers above it in my hierarchy. If you're at a gas station and every choice is American lager? Yeah, go for it. If you're in a bar? Sure, why not? You could do worse for three bucks a bottle. But if you want adventure, or even a bit of nostalgia, look elsewhere.

Apr 26, 2020
MD31 from Wisconsin

This is my second favorite beer. It's the best when I'm grilling or when the sports game is about to start. I enjoy this beer alot. Goes down smooth and the cold filtered taste is the gold standard.

Apr 24, 2020
Bsimpson91 from Georgia

4.92/5  rDev +116.7%

Great, Classic and Old School American Lager.
First let me shed some light behind the reason this Beer gets such bad reviews on this type of website. Miller Genuine Draft, Like many other classic Beers (IE: Coors, Budweiser, Pabst) is despised by the online community because they simply don't understand the intentions of these lagers. Miller is a well made Lager. Made for enjoying a Meal, enjoying a get-together, A Party, or what have you. These Lagers are not made to scrutinize or pick apart. They are simple, Malt forward and approachable. These Lagers have been around for a long time, and People still drink them and enjoy them. Now Segway into my thoughts on this beer.
Beginning with the Looks, This beer is Super clear, Bright Straw yellow with the slightest hints of gold. I didn't bother pouring into a glass. Ok moving on to Smell. The aroma is very Malt forward and yeasty. much like good home baked Bread. Nice soft sweetness to the nose. Now for flavor. I was surprised, it tastes nothing like High life! Of course, like all American Lagers you get Malt in the front. This beer is Up-front Softly sweet and Malty with a distinct lingering malt flavor that makes this beer like no other. This Lager is truly different. the flavors carry over into a nice clean middle and end. Hops are mostly undetectable but add balance. Now for feel. Pillowy and somewhat creamy. Medium light body, and good carbonation. Overall, Im impressed that this Lager is different than the rest! I think it tastes better than High Life! Worth a try, if you like a Classic American Lager.

Dec 25, 2019
elNopalero from California

2.44/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I’m drinking through all these adjunct lagers that I haven’t reviewed yet. MGD pours clear, fizzy yellow. Musty aroma, meh-meh-meh flavor. It’s just not that good.

Nov 29, 2019
Gordono from Nevada

3.6/5  rDev +58.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Hi... my name is Dave, and I’m an MGD drinker.

“Hi Dave...”

Just like it’s older brother High Life, it’s nothing fancy, but it’s good to toss back a few.

Nov 19, 2019
jkblr from Indiana

2.85/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

16oz can stamped NOV2519 poured into a shaker pint glass at fridge temp, no ABV listed on can. The beer pours bright light amber/ dark yellow with nearly white head. The head recedes to a thin cap and leaves a fair amount of lacing. The aroma is faint with barley, cereal grain and a hint of yeast. The taste is semisweet & tangy with only a trace of grain and an off-putting vegetable, mildly bitter finish. The mouthfeel is watery, thin bodied, highly carbonated and semi dry in the finish. Overall, ok. There are better tasting AAL out there for the money. Looked and smelled great, but couldn't back that up. One of few AAL that I started to enjoy more as it warmed in the glass. Maybe it just took a minute to get my head around it.

Oct 02, 2019
elnachooo from Spain

1.58/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Cerveza ligera, de carbonatación media con una cabeza espumosa casi inexistente. Aroma débil lúpulo y algo de herbáceo. En boca es acuosa con poco por destacar.

Aug 18, 2019
hof_1991 from Wisconsin

1.83/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Looks like a beer but drinks like bad water. Not sure why you would drink this if you had a choice and you always have s choice. Even if you’re at a ballpark, go for something else.

Aug 11, 2019
HoppyBastard from Nebraska

Poured from a 12 ounce long neck bottle into a Shaker pint glass, "best by" date "SEP3019".

APPEARANCE: pours a crystal clear, light yellow color with less than one-finger white head that quickly dissipated until a thin, broken layer of small bubbles remained, there is light lacing on the glass, medium carbonation.

SMELL: sweet corn and bread.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, sweet corn and bread.

PALATE: light body and medium carbonation.

OVERALL: this is the beer from my youth, when I started college this beer came out and was my favorite until I discovered craft beer, this was a premium priced beer when it came out but now it's just another cheap AAL, for me today it's just another lawnmower beer with a tinge of nostalgia.

Aug 01, 2019
paging12 from Virginia

1.87/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsener glass.
L: Super clear, almost colorless, but for some yellow.
S: A metallic off smell. Some grainy corn wafts through.
T: Not exactly sure what I'm tasting. A sweetness, a saltiness. Corn flakes. Bland.
F: Gritty. A fine carbonated sparkle. But smooth flatness.
O: This really isn't a very good beer, but it is easy to crush on a Sunday afternoon when watching the baseball game.

Jul 28, 2019
SAUbrewcrew from Michigan

4.04/5  rDev +78%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I don’t understand the low ratings with this one! This brew is extraordinarily cheap with an above average macro taste. The pure gold color of it is breathe taking and Miller proves itself once again as the king of macros.

May 19, 2019
Vidblain from Minnesota

3.02/5  rDev +33%

Not a particularly popular stance, I know, but I actually really enjoy a couple of macro brews as my daily drinker - yes, I still love IPA and sours, but when I don't feel like wrecking my palate, it's nice to pick up a case of Miller. Particularly when I'm going fishing, I really like drinking canned stuff that I can session, just like this.

I like several things about MGD more than most macro brew adjunct lagers - it's low in skunk, it's clean, it's only a bit sweet, and it doesn't fill me up or give me a hangover after two or three beers (Coors does this to me every time - so do several others).

Being such a cheap beer makes Miller my go-to for daily drinking, generally. I'm a fan. Let's not pretend that it's something that it's not - it's not an amazing beer. For for what it is, I think it deserves a nod.

Apr 25, 2019
Brook82 from Ohio

2.82/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pretty average AAL. Mild aroma and light gold/yellow color. Taste is light on hops, a bit sweet, medium carbonation. Not the smoothest feel, but still
easy drinking. I would score this beer a tad lower, but I was in the second row of a concert years ago and was within six feet of Robert Plant drinking an MGD, so how on earth could I say this beer sucked?

Mar 10, 2019
Buckeye55 from North Carolina

I have not had this one in over 20 years, and I don't plan on drinking it any time soon. Another Miller product i'm not mad about. Hard to believe that i'd almost rather have a Miller High Life than this.

Jan 24, 2019
AJSeven from New Jersey

3.85/5  rDev +69.6%

Pour: lightly hazy straw color, frothy two inch thick head with good lacing.
Nose: cereal grains, fresh wheat, taffy.
Taste: incredibly balanced flavor of light corn and cereal grain. No off tastes like bitterness or strange sweetness. Very smooth flavour profile all the way to the finish. Exactly what I would want a cheap american beer to taste like. Not watered down at all a nice golden malty and grainy flavor that doesnt get boring after the first sip like some others.

Guys I really think you’re being to hard on this one. Im currently in a place where im strapped for cash so i have had to resort to chraper beets for the time being. Been trying different things but always come back to MGD. This beer is nothing special and does beling on the bottom shelf with PBR and Bud but it’s the best of the bottom shelf. It’s the perfect 40oz and great if you’re buying a 30 pack. Is it a great beer in the grand scheme of things? No but I’m giving it a 4 because I’m not comparing it to high quality beers. In the line of beers it competes with it is a very good beer.

Jan 02, 2019
Speartron from Maryland

2.84/5  rDev +25.1%

Clear, watered down amber. Carbonation that slips up the bottle neck. Maintains a fingers worth in the bottle.

Something sweet to it. Cereal grains clearly. Very white bready. A bit rice sweetness perhaps, almost a bit of something apple-like. Like apple core.

Refreshing, although not my preferred Miller product

Dec 16, 2018
JimboBrews54 from Michigan

Still one of my favorite brews from Miller, beats the pants off of Miller Lite. This is a sweet filtered lager that finishes very smooth and does not have a lot of complexity, which is a welcome change any time of the year.

Oct 08, 2018
huthuty from Utah

3.03/5  rDev +33.5%

Guess the way to properly rate this beer is out of the 40 oz it comes in.
Clear light amber, cracking the lid reveals moderate carbonation
Smell is slightly stale and a similar sweet light maltiness to high life.
Taste is strong given the low abv. Very malty.
This would be a good beer for you if you like malt liquor but don't want to die after 2 forties

Aug 27, 2018
cardfan212 from Minnesota

3.16/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Drank from a 12 ounce glass bottle. Scores are based on the style.

Look - The body label is nice and elegant looking, but I could do without the neck label.

Smell - A sort of dirty wet sweet smell that takes me back to my days of detasseling corn.

Taste - A bizarre salty savory flavor that isn't completely unenjoyable. I haven't tasted anything like this in an AAL before.

Feel - Very carbonated, but not as over the top as High Life.

Overall - A fine and decently enjoyable beer. Very surprising to me.

Aug 05, 2018
Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 55 out of 100 with 2610 ratings