Miller Genuine Draft

Gots
SCORE
Awful
Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft
Notes: Miller Genuine Draft delivers a fresh from the tap taste through its proprietary "cold-filtered four times" brewing process. Introduced nationally in 1986, Miller Genuine Draft was born as the original cold-filtered packaged draft beer. Today, Miller Genuine Draft is reinforcing its status as the best draft beer in a bottle.
View: Beers
Reviews: 708 | Ratings: 2,641 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
ZebulonXZogg from Illinois

2.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a clear pissy yellow with a small head that was gone in a flash, surprisingly it left so lacing on the glass. Aroma of corn, cracker and mild hops. Taste is corn and grain, thin bodied, lotsa carbonation. This was something I drank back iin the day. Most will be used for brats.

Oct 31, 2021
TonyKaz

3.14/5  rDev +38.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Bought this beer because I was looking for something cheap and refreshing on a hot day. Pounded the first one straight from the bottle and felt nothing. Thought I'd look to see how much alcohol was in this stuff and landed here. Poured my second into the closest thing i have to a pilsner glass and began my review. I got a thick head over an inch which lasted about 2 minutes. Color is pale with a lively effervescence and very clear. This beer looks great. Disappearing head left a nice lacing of froth on the sides of my glass. Not much smell. Maybe a little metallic with a slight earthy aroma. Definitely has a metallic aftertaste with a little bit of bitter. Not much taste at all while its going down. This is not a very exciting beer and you'll have to drink it very quickly if you want a buzz from it. This is a good beer to enjoy cold with some BBQ and friends before undertaking some sort of summertime activity that requires you to not be overly sedated. I don't recommend drinking more than 2 per sitting. Afterwards go do something to work off that 144 calories per bottle. On sale for 18 bucks for 20, I'd just as soon drink PBR which is a little less expensive and probably a little more flavorful. Still, I think this beer deserves better than it seems to get around here. It has it's time and place. I'm glad we drank this stuff as teenagers because if we had stronger beers like are common now, we might not have survived.

Jun 28, 2021
Tony787 from Canada (ON)

2.85/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

had this beer from the USA when I was younger 25 years ago.
I bought a can at the lcbo in Ontario they now brew it here in Canada by Molson Coors just like the Coors banquet they call it Coors original now here in Canada .
473ml at 4.7%.
poured a 1finger head into glass that quickly disappeared. but left a lace as I was drinking it
again they brew it better in The USA not a fan of this MGD beer in Canada a little better in The USA i think
overall another crap beer from Molson Coors trying to copy the original MGD from the USA. would have gave the original MGD from the USA a 3.08
cheers

May 19, 2021
TheOccasionalBeer from Wisconsin

3.54/5  rDev +55.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Macrobrews don't come by this way often, but when it does it's usually MGD. Say what you will, but I find it easy to drink (out of a bottle... no cans, here) and reminiscent of rural weddings where - while they did have champagne - this champagne of beers was probably almost as good, and it went with everything there as it does on a hot Wisconsin day. Maybe it is nostalgia, but this slightly honey-colored brew that smells of little and has just a bit of effervescence is a simple beer for a simple man.

May 10, 2021
Sigmund from Norway

1.25/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

(January 2005). Seriously struck by rating addiction, I bought this beer only to rate it - and I hate myself for it! Hate hate hate!! I paid good money for this crap, in the US at least it’s cheap - here it’s expensive. Importing this shit to Europe is totally ridiculous! And the alternative in Norway, if you want an American beer, is Bud!! (If you’re ’lucky’, you might find Michelob!) My expectations were very low, but I soon found out that this ’beer’ was even worse than I expected. Aroma reminiscent of the wine yeast of my disastrous, short lived wine-making career 15 years ago. Excessive head that disappears rather quickly. Hardly any flavour at all - just a bland, metallic mouthfeel. Luckily, there is no aftertaste either (if there was, it would surely have been bad). ’Genuine draught’ my ass! This is just bad, real BAD!!

May 03, 2021
Singlefinpin from North Carolina

2.77/5  rDev +22%

Drinking this at home.
Poured from a can Into a pint glass.
Looks clear golden yellow with a rocky foamy head that dropped quickly to zero.
Smells of corn, malt, lightly floral.
Taste follows the nose nicely, I taste a lot of corn and sweetness.
Mouth feel is medium for the style.
Overall good at cookout on a hot day when someone hands you a free one.
Cheers!

Apr 06, 2021
joeagain from New Jersey

Straight outta the gate, I'm not a big fan of Miller products, finding the majority of them too light and smacking of adjuncts.
I purchased MGD for the first time because I'd be drinking a few with some BBQ and simply wanted something lighter and frankly, cheap.

Surprisingly, MGD wasn't bad. Nice "beery" yellow-gold. Head lasted down to the bottom of the glass!
Light malt nose with light grassy hops peeping through. Taste exactly like the nose, only with a mild corn aftertaste.
I'm still not a Miller fan, but being as neutral as possible for this review, this was a pretty decent beer.

Mar 15, 2021
Dobbis420 from Ohio

4.29/5  rDev +89%

I'm Yung at 28 when I first tried this but it was my dad's beer of choice for years up to about 11 years ago and I ca see why it taste good without much after taste but I love it

Feb 09, 2021
jwp777 from Oklahoma

2.24/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle best by 02/08/21, tasted 12/20/20:

Pours a clear pale yellow... not exactly appetizing in color. However the head is thick and bubbly, retains well, and laces well too. It really does look like it came from a draught, but that color...

Smell is faint corn and not much else. Taste has the corn for sure but the grains and barley show up too. The finish is a bit sweet. I really don’t get much in the way of hops. I know they’re there, but if I didn’t know, I might have asked where the hops were.

Feel is light and highly carbonated, and crisp at first, but the sweet corn in the finish leaves it just a little chewy.

Overall - I’d gladly take this over a lot of other macro brews, and I wouldn’t hesitate if it was handed to me at a barbecue or whatever. Price point is also hard to beat ($9.99 for a 12 pack). Even with that said, this sits just north of “awful” for me.

Dec 21, 2020
Johnny755 from Wisconsin

4.66/5  rDev +105.3%

Color: Yellow | Smell: Good | Head: Yes

Taste: Tastes like 1986. This is what beer should taste like!! You can have your COVID-19, civil unrest, and expensive craft beers. Give me a six pack of Miller Genuine Draft and I'll head back to the 80's and enjoy life. And since I'm 50 I don't need to find someone 21 or over to buy this for me.

Nov 19, 2020
TedHead from Illinois

2.44/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Bright golden with a foamy white head. Smells like corn and the taste does come through, but it's not super sweet. Not terrible but honestly I for down reason like miller lite better.

Aug 24, 2020
Steve555 from Wales

2.84/5  rDev +25.1%

Poured from a can 500mls. Look is crystal yellow/brown with a small dissipating head, leaving a broken ring of froth. Smells of stewed vegetables. Taste is grainy with corn syrup and watery thin. Finish is quite dry mildly sweet on the palate cleaned up y carbonation. At the end of the day it doesn't have any real off notes like a lot of AALs. I thought it would be worse, certainly better than gluey Coors anyway.

Aug 14, 2020
alcoholicarrogance from Maine

3.41/5  rDev +50.2%

I'm not a big macrobrew drinker but when I want a nice cheap beer I usually go with Miller High Life, Miller Lite, Rolling Rock, or Shock Top, with Miller High Life being my first choice almost every time. I saw this in the store for $11 for a 12 pack and figured it would be worth trying out and comparing to the other Miller products. I gotta say, this is pretty good! It kind of tastes like a well aerated Miller High Life but with more of a crisp and clean finish than its predecessor. I think this tops High Life. The bottle has a cool black label, the flavor is good and refreshing, it's carbonated but pretty chuggable, and its just as cheap as High Life. It's certainly no Rising Tide Back Cove pilsner or Sierra Nevada pale ale, but it's a god amongst macro adjunct lagers.

Jun 28, 2020
Gajo74 from New York

2.2/5  rDev -3.1%

From the can, it pours a clear pale yellow color. A large foam head displays good retention and a persistent film throughout; lots of lacing.

The nose displays notes of corn adjunct. Aromas of bready and grainy malt display some sweetness, however, it is somewhat overshadowed by notes of sour lemon and green apples.

The taste opens with flavors of grainy and bready malt that display moderate sweetness. However, as with the aroma, there is a touch of lemon and apple like tartness that is a bit off putting. There is little to no discernible hops flavor or bitterness. Light bodied with a carbonation that is on par, thankfully not too fizzy. The mouthfeel is somewhat coarse but smooths out. The finish is dry with hints of corn.

I only had 1/3rd of this 32oz can and used the rest for baking. I was turned off by the sour flavor. This is a hard pass for me next time.

May 27, 2020
LampertLand from Canada (BC)

2.64/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Miller Genuine Draft @ , served from a cold 341 ml bottle , as my sister liked her fav American beer , easy drinking for a draft beer , lead too so many good times at the beach/lake/lagoon

May 17, 2020
joebrazil3 from Illinois

3.5/5  rDev +54.2%

Whether I buy this or Hamm's at the store depends on a) whether I can find Hamm's--it's not everywhere in the midwest--or b) is Labatt's Blue available? I find the ratings here confusing: is MGD really worse than Miller High Life? The ingredients and brewing process are better. Note to Miller: stop using hop extract for MGD, please. The family and I did a taste test of four Miller products, and this won, I perceive the 55 score as a judgment of its quality against much better beer. As an American Adjunct Lager, it's awfully good.

Update 5/22/20: I'm bumping it down to 3.5 across the board. It's still quite good, and I will drink it with pleasure, but the aforementioned Hamm's is almost as good and easier on the wallet, while MGD doesn't compare to the beers above it in my hierarchy. If you're at a gas station and every choice is American lager? Yeah, go for it. If you're in a bar? Sure, why not? You could do worse for three bucks a bottle. But if you want adventure, or even a bit of nostalgia, look elsewhere.

Apr 26, 2020
MD31 from Wisconsin

This is my second favorite beer. It's the best when I'm grilling or when the sports game is about to start. I enjoy this beer alot. Goes down smooth and the cold filtered taste is the gold standard.

Apr 24, 2020
Bsimpson91 from Georgia

4.92/5  rDev +116.7%

Great, Classic and Old School American Lager.
First let me shed some light behind the reason this Beer gets such bad reviews on this type of website. Miller Genuine Draft, Like many other classic Beers (IE: Coors, Budweiser, Pabst) is despised by the online community because they simply don't understand the intentions of these lagers. Miller is a well made Lager. Made for enjoying a Meal, enjoying a get-together, A Party, or what have you. These Lagers are not made to scrutinize or pick apart. They are simple, Malt forward and approachable. These Lagers have been around for a long time, and People still drink them and enjoy them. Now Segway into my thoughts on this beer.
Beginning with the Looks, This beer is Super clear, Bright Straw yellow with the slightest hints of gold. I didn't bother pouring into a glass. Ok moving on to Smell. The aroma is very Malt forward and yeasty. much like good home baked Bread. Nice soft sweetness to the nose. Now for flavor. I was surprised, it tastes nothing like High life! Of course, like all American Lagers you get Malt in the front. This beer is Up-front Softly sweet and Malty with a distinct lingering malt flavor that makes this beer like no other. This Lager is truly different. the flavors carry over into a nice clean middle and end. Hops are mostly undetectable but add balance. Now for feel. Pillowy and somewhat creamy. Medium light body, and good carbonation. Overall, Im impressed that this Lager is different than the rest! I think it tastes better than High Life! Worth a try, if you like a Classic American Lager.

Dec 25, 2019
elNopalero from California

2.44/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I’m drinking through all these adjunct lagers that I haven’t reviewed yet. MGD pours clear, fizzy yellow. Musty aroma, meh-meh-meh flavor. It’s just not that good.

Nov 29, 2019
Gordono from Nevada

3.6/5  rDev +58.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Hi... my name is Dave, and I’m an MGD drinker.

“Hi Dave...”

Just like it’s older brother High Life, it’s nothing fancy, but it’s good to toss back a few.

Nov 19, 2019
jkblr from Indiana

2.85/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

16oz can stamped NOV2519 poured into a shaker pint glass at fridge temp, no ABV listed on can. The beer pours bright light amber/ dark yellow with nearly white head. The head recedes to a thin cap and leaves a fair amount of lacing. The aroma is faint with barley, cereal grain and a hint of yeast. The taste is semisweet & tangy with only a trace of grain and an off-putting vegetable, mildly bitter finish. The mouthfeel is watery, thin bodied, highly carbonated and semi dry in the finish. Overall, ok. There are better tasting AAL out there for the money. Looked and smelled great, but couldn't back that up. One of few AAL that I started to enjoy more as it warmed in the glass. Maybe it just took a minute to get my head around it.

Oct 02, 2019
elnachooo from Spain

1.58/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Cerveza ligera, de carbonatación media con una cabeza espumosa casi inexistente. Aroma débil lúpulo y algo de herbáceo. En boca es acuosa con poco por destacar.

Aug 18, 2019
hof_1991 from Wisconsin

1.83/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Looks like a beer but drinks like bad water. Not sure why you would drink this if you had a choice and you always have s choice. Even if you’re at a ballpark, go for something else.

Aug 11, 2019
HoppyBastard from Nebraska

Poured from a 12 ounce long neck bottle into a Shaker pint glass, "best by" date "SEP3019".

APPEARANCE: pours a crystal clear, light yellow color with less than one-finger white head that quickly dissipated until a thin, broken layer of small bubbles remained, there is light lacing on the glass, medium carbonation.

SMELL: sweet corn and bread.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, sweet corn and bread.

PALATE: light body and medium carbonation.

OVERALL: this is the beer from my youth, when I started college this beer came out and was my favorite until I discovered craft beer, this was a premium priced beer when it came out but now it's just another cheap AAL, for me today it's just another lawnmower beer with a tinge of nostalgia.

Aug 01, 2019
paging12 from Virginia

1.87/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsener glass.
L: Super clear, almost colorless, but for some yellow.
S: A metallic off smell. Some grainy corn wafts through.
T: Not exactly sure what I'm tasting. A sweetness, a saltiness. Corn flakes. Bland.
F: Gritty. A fine carbonated sparkle. But smooth flatness.
O: This really isn't a very good beer, but it is easy to crush on a Sunday afternoon when watching the baseball game.

Jul 28, 2019
Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 55 out of 100 with 2641 ratings