Miller Genuine Draft | Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft
2.26/5
Poor
Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Miller Genuine Draft delivers a fresh from the tap taste through its proprietary "cold-filtered four times" brewing process. Introduced nationally in 1986, Miller Genuine Draft was born as the original cold-filtered packaged draft beer. Today, Miller Genuine Draft is reinforcing its status as the best draft beer in a bottle.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 682 | Ratings: 2,580
4.27/5  rDev +88.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I don’t understand the low ratings with this one! This brew is extraordinarily cheap with an above average macro taste. The pure gold color of it is breathe taking and Miller proves itself once again as the king of macros.

3.02/5  rDev +33.6%

Not a particularly popular stance, I know, but I actually really enjoy a couple of macro brews as my daily drinker - yes, I still love IPA and sours, but when I don't feel like wrecking my palate, it's nice to pick up a case of Miller. Particularly when I'm going fishing, I really like drinking canned stuff that I can session, just like this.

I like several things about MGD more than most macro brew adjunct lagers - it's low in skunk, it's clean, it's only a bit sweet, and it doesn't fill me up or give me a hangover after two or three beers (Coors does this to me every time - so do several others).

Being such a cheap beer makes Miller my go-to for daily drinking, generally. I'm a fan. Let's not pretend that it's something that it's not - it's not an amazing beer. For for what it is, I think it deserves a nod.

2.89/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pretty average AAL. Mild aroma and light gold/yellow color. Taste is light on hops, a bit sweet, medium carbonation. Not the smoothest feel, but still
easy drinking. I would score this beer a tad lower, but I was in the second row of a concert years ago and was within six feet of Robert Plant drinking an MGD, so how on earth could I say this beer sucked?

I have not had this one in over 20 years, and I don't plan on drinking it any time soon. Another Miller product i'm not mad about. Hard to believe that i'd almost rather have a Miller High Life than this.

3.85/5  rDev +70.4%

Pour: lightly hazy straw color, frothy two inch thick head with good lacing.
Nose: cereal grains, fresh wheat, taffy.
Taste: incredibly balanced flavor of light corn and cereal grain. No off tastes like bitterness or strange sweetness. Very smooth flavour profile all the way to the finish. Exactly what I would want a cheap american beer to taste like. Not watered down at all a nice golden malty and grainy flavor that doesnt get boring after the first sip like some others.

Guys I really think you’re being to hard on this one. Im currently in a place where im strapped for cash so i have had to resort to chraper beets for the time being. Been trying different things but always come back to MGD. This beer is nothing special and does beling on the bottom shelf with PBR and Bud but it’s the best of the bottom shelf. It’s the perfect 40oz and great if you’re buying a 30 pack. Is it a great beer in the grand scheme of things? No but I’m giving it a 4 because I’m not comparing it to high quality beers. In the line of beers it competes with it is a very good beer.

2.84/5  rDev +25.7%

Clear, watered down amber. Carbonation that slips up the bottle neck. Maintains a fingers worth in the bottle.

Something sweet to it. Cereal grains clearly. Very white bready. A bit rice sweetness perhaps, almost a bit of something apple-like. Like apple core.

Refreshing, although not my preferred Miller product

Still one of my favorite brews from Miller, beats the pants off of Miller Lite. This is a sweet filtered lager that finishes very smooth and does not have a lot of complexity, which is a welcome change any time of the year.

3.03/5  rDev +34.1%

Guess the way to properly rate this beer is out of the 40 oz it comes in.
Clear light amber, cracking the lid reveals moderate carbonation
Smell is slightly stale and a similar sweet light maltiness to high life.
Taste is strong given the low abv. Very malty.
This would be a good beer for you if you like malt liquor but don't want to die after 2 forties

3.16/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Drank from a 12 ounce glass bottle. Scores are based on the style.

Look - The body label is nice and elegant looking, but I could do without the neck label.

Smell - A sort of dirty wet sweet smell that takes me back to my days of detasseling corn.

Taste - A bizarre salty savory flavor that isn't completely unenjoyable. I haven't tasted anything like this in an AAL before.

Feel - Very carbonated, but not as over the top as High Life.

Overall - A fine and decently enjoyable beer. Very surprising to me.

2.71/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Taste: this was smoother than i remembered 30 years ago, almost sweet and light clean finish. mild nose.Bright golden hue, crystal clear, with tall white head some lace, light to med/light body. Air thin finish.

My favorite beer of all. Always smooth and refreshing. Easy to drink. I love this beer and always have some in the fridge. The cold filtered taste is amazing. Cheers.

3.81/5  rDev +68.6%

24 ounce can into lager glass, best before 6/11/2018. Pours crystal clear medium golden yellow color with a 1 finger fairly dense and rocky white head with awesome retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Fantastic appearance. Aromas of cracker, corn, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light nuttiness/pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Touch of fruity aromas, but not overwhelming. Nice and pleasant aromas with pale malt/corn and light-moderate earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of cracker, corn, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light nuttiness/pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Light-moderate herbal, grassy, peppery bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of cracker, corn, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light nuttiness/pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice robustness and balance of pale malt/corn and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance, and zero cloying/astringent flavors after the finish. Moderately crisp/clean finishing. Perfectly clean on lager flavors, with zero yeast notes present. Light-moderate increasing dryness from lingering bitterness and carbonation. Medium-high carbonation and medium body; with a very smooth, moderately bready/grainy, and fairly sticky balanced mouthfeel that is great. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 4.7%. Overall this is a very good pale adjunct lager style. All around nice robustness and balance of pale malt/corn and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; very smooth, crisp, clean, and refreshing to drink. Very flavorful and never watery for the ABV. Perfectly clean pale malt/grain flavors, and nice earthy hop presence for the style. Not overdone on adjuncts at all, plenty of barley presence. A very enjoyable offering, and well made style example. Best macro adjunct lager I have tried so far.

2.44/5  rDev +8%

Poured from can to tulip. Straw colored, near clear, with a finger or so of fizzy foam that's here and gone. Aromas of corn, cracker, grain, and some grass. Flavor is sweet with a bit of a sour touch that's a bit off-putting. You get the typical sweet AAL corn-and-grain smoothness but then this sour bready note pops up. Finish is clean.

2.01/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a clear, light golden coloration with a medium, fizzy heat that almost instantly dissolves. Smell is quite watery, with a hint of light caramel malt and a touch of grains. Taste follows the nose, being quite watery with a light, slightly sweet touch of caramel malt and just the faintest hint of grain. A slight note reminiscent of corn syrup coming throught as well. Lacks any kind of finish, maybe turning a little sweet in the aftertaste, with almost no discernible bitterness. Watery body with very high cabonation. This basically tastes like corn syrup flavoured water, it has very little in common with beer in my opinion. Wow, I mean, I kinda knew what to expect, but this level of bland tastelessness is quite something else. I actually had to raise my rating just a little bit after tasting Coors Light though.

2.1/5  rDev -7.1%

Average mass-produced lager, slightly inferior to Bud Light. Pale yellow color with lots of carbonation but goes flat quickly, no head, faint notes of grain and malt. Just bubbles for the mouthfeel except for when the beer warms up, then turns more bitter and flat. Not my first choice even when just going for a cheap beer to quickly drink.

2.14/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

The biggest appeal for this beer is the nice bottle it comes in. Though a clear bottle isn't the most practical, it does make the golden beer look tasty. Drinking it on the other hand reveals a beer no different from any other macro lager. Taste is watery, little hops flavor, maybe a hint of malt sweetness. I don't notice much of a "draft" taste difference over regular high Life. Really is not worth it's price premium.

2.67/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

The fourth beer I ever tried, after Foster's, Yuengling, and Budweiser. This was the beer that really got me into using alcohol in a medicinal way, to help me get to sleep. I will always have fond memories of it because of that, but in trying it again recently I was pleasantly surprised to find it really does taste better than any of those other beers, with the possible exception of an on-tap Yuengling.

L: pale yellow, some bubbles that fade quickly and leave no lacing. nothing impressive here.

S: Corn, sweet malt, bread, adjunct grains. Nothing bad, everything works together well enough.

T: A highlight for the style. I guess it's because this beer is unpasteurized and 4x filtered. This is the taste by which I measure all other AAL's. Corn, wheat, a little kiss of hop bitterness up front, more corn and a little grain on the tongue.

F: Very over-carbonated, which brings down my score a lot. There is virtually no head and minimal lacing, so why does it feel like there are a thousand bubbles in every sip?

Overall, one of my favorite beers in the style. Will never turn down a can of this. I would avoid the bottles, as they are clear and therefore susceptible to light damage.

3.08/5  rDev +36.3%

I can taste the relation to High Life, but where it differs from High Life it suffers. While supposedly mimicking High Life on draft, or as it was known then "Miller", to me it's sweeter and blander. Drink one next to an actual High Life draft and the difference is discernable. I think that in the 80s, they came out w this to challenge the popularity of Bud. So, to me it's a version of High Life, that accentuates the lighter body and sweetness characteristic of Bud. But, they can't advertise it that way. Hey, you like Miller? & you also like Bud? Well, we got their bastard child for you and it's just as delicious as it sounds! Instead they say it's so and so brewed to taste like draft High Life ( which is a pleasant memory, especially in those days). Hey, it ain't bad, but High Life is cheaper and better, so what's the point.? Also, the clear glass bottle seems to be more detrimental to freshness than it is to High Life, so you often get a sweet nasty batch. In my area, this is only available in bottles. When it was in cans I bought it more often as it's a good fishing beer, beach beer, oh it's Saturday so one more beer. Ah, dispense with the window dressing, all cans or brown bottles. I understand the history of clear bottles with High Life, but w mgd it's unnecessary. It has it's fans and it matches Harley colors, and more fams and those folks shouldn't have to suffer sweet nastys.

2.63/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is supposed to be like a highlife on draft. It most definitely is not. That distinctive head and mouthfeel of highlife is not present. The flavor is similarish but not quite right. Vast flavor difference between can and bottle. Probably due to light pollution with the clear bottle, the beer seems to develop a slightly fruity taste. It's a decent beer in its own right, drinks well cold, nothing awful about it. However it's really just a bad highlife knock off thats $3 more per 12pack so I fail to see the point.

1.5/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is one of the worst macro lagers to me. Tastes like puke. Oddly, it's supposed to taste like High Life on draught and High Life is one of my fav macros. When this came out, everyone was drinking it. Ugh. I never liked it.

Bought a 12-pack bottles from Walgreens $10.49
Clear, light golden color
Light mouthfeel
High carbonation
Light malt taste
Overall typical domestic macrobrew. Cheap and made to drink a lot for times when you're going for quantity and not quality.

4.03/5  rDev +78.3%

For what it is, not bad. Very crisp and malty, what a beer should be for commercial macros. One of only a few macro brews I wouldn't mind seeking out again from time to time. Best drunk from a can or poured from can to glass. Bottle of this though is horrible.

Gold colored beer with a rapidly fading head. ...pretty good beer in my opinion...I know this is not a favorite beer style on this site but I will always be a fan of macros.

2.94/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer isn't nearly as bad as most of these reviewers make it out to be. As a casual summer beer on the patio you can't go wrong with MGD. If you have tasted many premium lagers you probably won't be too impressed. It smells and looks rather ordinary but it goes down smooth. I'd buy it regularly

2.9/5  rDev +28.3%

L: brilliant straw with a hint of gold filled with streams of rapidly rising bubbles, 1" white cap with fair retention.

S: aromas are low with smells of light grain, cracker, bread dough, a hint of hops, and a trace of sulfur.

T: flavor is low to medium low. The beer starts with a neutral, low grainy flavor with just a trace of corn and light cracker, very low herbal hop flavors, and low hop bitterness

F: highly carbonated with a light body and a low level of creaminess

O: Not much here.

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 2.26 out of 5 with 2,580 ratings