Miller Genuine Draft | Miller Brewing Co.

awful

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Reviews: 643 | Ratings: 2,406
Reviews by JJBeerme:
2.75/5  rDev +16.5%

O my Lord. How do you really rate the beer of yer indigent youth without bias.

This was my default, O my brothers. My go-to, my backup. Others have Pabst, others have Rolling Rock, others have Yuengling, but mine was MGD.

I have had too many good times on the back end of an MGD to rate it any lower than a 2, but too much presence of mind to rate it any higher.

This is swill. There's no two ways about it. But, O my brothers, in the early to mid 1990s, it had the moniker "genuine", which was enough to sell it to a dork like me.

One night, one glorious night in the relative innocence of the 1990s I got picked up in a bar in Wisconsin after having ten of these by a VERY pretty girl, despite being myself utterly average in every regard, with no effort whatsoever expended on my part, and for that reason, MGD always has a home in my home when push comes to shove.

But it's really awful beer, truth to be told. I wouldn't buy this on purpose in a scenario short of the zombie apocalypse.

4.52/5  rDev +91.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I always drank Miller High Life & it wasn't until recently that I started buying MGD. I always thought of it as an old man's beer. Then I found out that it was the same ingredients as High Life, just cold filtered instead of pasteurized, to help give it the draft beer taste. I see a lot of negative reviews but don't really understand them. Yes I know it's not a "craft beer" but I would recommend that you give it a try for yourself rather then read silly reviews.

3.65/5  rDev +54.7%

Pours out a clear golden color with a foamy sudsy white head that quickly dissipates. Nice streaming bubbles.

Smell is sweet with some bready malts coming through.

Taste is like sweet corn with a touch of a burn at the back of tongue.

Feel is refreshing and crisp with a clean finish.

Overall I like this beer because it is a simple refreshing lager that really does not pretend to be anything over the top. It laced the heck out of my glass all the way down and the taste was of a good cold refreshing glass of beer flavored beer.

2.53/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

L:
-pours a light golden with a medium,foamy,white head
-medium carbonation visible
S:
-corn sweetness,biscuity,slight honey,spicy hops,faint cardboard
T:
-no hops detectable,metallic,cereals,cooked potatoes
-finishes dry with lingering corn sweetness
F:
-medium carbonation
-light body
O:
Honestly,it's not as awful as often talked about.
Overall a slightly below average Pale Lager.
Nothing offensively awful.

1.75/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

It's not the worst American Adjunct Lager, but it's certainly not great either. You know what you're getting into if you are on this website and buy this beer.

2.55/5  rDev +8.1%

This Miller product has that distinctive "Miller Taste" to it. Corny with some skunk. Not one that I have too often, but when I get the hankering for it, I'll buy a sixer of this. Taste is sweet corn, much like other Miller products. There was also a slight metallic twinge to this beer, but it was ever so subtle.

4.26/5  rDev +80.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really don't understand the bad reviews. This beer is a notch up from High Life, and nothing beats it on a hot summer day. Excellent, honest lager.

1.62/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Had from a bottle.

L: Clear light golden. Thin white head... fizzes up and fizzes right down.

S: Cooked veggies..light grains.

T/F: Taste is bland... light grains, cooked corn, the barest whisp of something that may have once been hops towards the finish. The biggest plus on this is that it's smooth and crisp if served ice cold (cold counts as a flavor for this beer... it hasn't got much else going for it). The biggest negative... is the aftertaste. Not sure of what it is. Not sure I want to find out.. it tastes like a nursing home.

O: Not a beer I would ever seek out. Under any circumstances. When your 90 year old grandpop asks if you want to have a beer with him, and this is what he's got... you smile and have a MGD. Not many other situations will suffice.

3.51/5  rDev +48.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I tried this beer one time during the summer of 2012 and thought it was an ok to slightly decent beer. It is not a beer that i would have all of the time, but I would probably recommend it to another to try it. The taste was distinct and was very smooth and different from Miller High Life. The process of making a draft beer gives this beer a different characteristic.

2.13/5  rDev -9.7%

Appearance – Clear, yellow body with strong carbonation and the typical Puxatawny Phil up and down head.

Smell – A light grain aroma, but not a lot. The Bud was a veritable bouquet compared to this nose.

Taste – Typical grain with a good amount of sweetness. Definitely sweeter than The King. It’s not fruit, though. More like Ju-Ju Bees or Gummi-Bears (not the good Gummi-Bears from Germany; those awful ones that they sell at the movie theaters).

What the heck is going on with the finish here? I can’t describe it, but it ruined what little flavor was in the body. I don’t know what that is.

Mouthfeel – Good carbonation and fairly smooth.

Drinkability – Thirty-minutes of prep time in the freezer and canned to keep out the skunk does the trick with this one. That aftertaste though probably took it down a whole point.

2.5/5  rDev +5.9%

1.5/5  rDev -36.4%

4.21/5  rDev +78.4%

This is a crysteal clear, radiently golden beer. It has no head to speak of, but does manage to leave quite a bit of lacing after the pour. Aromas are very light, and of cracked grain. No sickly sweetness to the aroma at all.

For the style, this beer tastes pretty badass. It is refreshingly dry, balanced, and delivers just a splash of fruity hop flavor in the finish. A light but very creamy mouthfeel accentuates these qualities to make this by far my favorite offering from the big 3. It is a very fresh tasting beer with minor, if any, perceptable flaws.

1.5/5  rDev -36.4%

1.75/5  rDev -25.8%

2.35/5  rDev -0.4%

I guess this is drinkable at keg parties but not anywhere else. It poured a clear yellow color with a lightly frothy head that faded after a minute or two. The smell was very sweet and not pleasing at all. The taste was not much better. It was a very sweet taste but a grainy sweetness that got to me after a couple sips. I guess I got used to it after a few sips and it started going down eaiser so I gave it a little bit higher drinkability rating. Overall it is a standard macro that is bland, boring and not worth your time.

1.25/5  rDev -47%

1.91/5  rDev -19.1%

I not a big fan of Macro lagers and not a big fan of MGD i just buy one so i can review ...it does'nt smell good at all...not a good taste...and not even a good appearence .... for me this is a bad beer not good at all if you want to buy a Macro lager this one is not the one

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.