Miller Genuine Draft | Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,524 |  Reviews: 670
Reviews by durwood64:
2.5/5  rDev +10.1%

O my Lord. How do you really rate the beer of yer indigent youth without bias.

This was my default, O my brothers. My go-to, my backup. Others have Pabst, others have Rolling Rock, others have Yuengling, but mine was MGD.

I have had too many good times on the back end of an MGD to rate it any lower than a 2, but too much presence of mind to rate it any higher.

This is swill. There's no two ways about it. But, O my brothers, in the early to mid 1990s, it had the moniker "genuine", which was enough to sell it to a dork like me.

One night, one glorious night in the relative innocence of the 1990s I got picked up in a bar in Wisconsin after having ten of these by a VERY pretty girl, despite being myself utterly average in every regard, with no effort whatsoever expended on my part, and for that reason, MGD always has a home in my home when push comes to shove.

But it's really awful beer, truth to be told. I wouldn't buy this on purpose in a scenario short of the zombie apocalypse.

2.73/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

HEY!! I just realized I've never given this beer a proper review!

MGD pours a bronze-gold color (or horse pee, whichever is more eloquent to you); distorted slightly by the violent migration of tiny bubbles to the top like a champagne. The head is stable, very stable, and sticks around at a creamy pinky finger's height. I'm actually very impressed at the head retention on this mass produced lager. It leaves lace, too.

Aroma is perfumey, but only slightly, with hints of orange pith, banana, dried corn, pool shock, and hay.

Flavor is purely chemical to start, then the fruity esters arrive with banana and blueberry; sweet corn, bready pilsner malts, and finally a grassy, bready finish.

Feel is the best part. It's so quenching, so carbonated, and leaves a slightly resinous feel on the teeth. I like it.

Overall, it's a pretty solid AAL, and if you can't find Pabst, Old Style, or Rolling Rock, this will do the trick nicely and when you're all done, the glass smells like bread.

4.21/5  rDev +85.5%

This is the cold filtered, unpasteurized version of High Life.

It is a beautiful lager. Color, clarity, and head are all spot on. Head fades a little too quickly from the adjunct.

Mild, neutral, grainy aroma.

Top quality taste for a high adjunct, pale, American-style lager. The fact that this is not pasteurized is huge. The heat from pasteurization really diminishes the flavor of beer. Drink this side by side with a High Life and taste the difference. It is the same beer! MGD is malty and grainy, but with minimal astringency. The body is smooth but also somewhat rich and satisfying. Bitter, lemony, mild hops linger. Yes there is some corn / grain. But the beer tastes good and fresh and mild.

Mouthfeel is perfect for the style.

Overall pretty damn good and way underrated.

3.54/5  rDev +55.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a fresh six-pack to drink like the locals while in Milwaukee for the 2017 U.S. Open. Tastes just as I remembered from my college days. The colder the better. The fresher the better. Drank right from the bottle. A good beer that I'll choose over Bud every single time. #MGD.

Gold colored beer with a rapidly fading head. ...pretty good beer in my opinion...I know this is not a favorite beer style on this site but I will always be a fan of macros.

2.94/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer isn't nearly as bad as most of these reviewers make it out to be. As a casual summer beer on the patio you can't go wrong with MGD. If you have tasted many premium lagers you probably won't be too impressed. It smells and looks rather ordinary but it goes down smooth. I'd buy it regularly

2.5/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not as terrible as I expected. Same one-dimensional taste for macro-lager, with only a little skunk.
Would be tolerable to drink cold on a hot day.

3.81/5  rDev +67.8%

24 ounce can into lager glass, best before 6/11/2018. Pours crystal clear medium golden yellow color with a 1 finger fairly dense and rocky white head with awesome retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Fantastic appearance. Aromas of cracker, corn, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light nuttiness/pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Touch of fruity aromas, but not overwhelming. Nice and pleasant aromas with pale malt/corn and light-moderate earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of cracker, corn, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light nuttiness/pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Light-moderate herbal, grassy, peppery bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of cracker, corn, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light nuttiness/pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice robustness and balance of pale malt/corn and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance, and zero cloying/astringent flavors after the finish. Moderately crisp/clean finishing. Perfectly clean on lager flavors, with zero yeast notes present. Light-moderate increasing dryness from lingering bitterness and carbonation. Medium-high carbonation and medium body; with a very smooth, moderately bready/grainy, and fairly sticky balanced mouthfeel that is great. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 4.7%. Overall this is a very good pale adjunct lager style. All around nice robustness and balance of pale malt/corn and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; very smooth, crisp, clean, and refreshing to drink. Very flavorful and never watery for the ABV. Perfectly clean pale malt/grain flavors, and nice earthy hop presence for the style. Not overdone on adjuncts at all, plenty of barley presence. A very enjoyable offering, and well made style example. Best macro adjunct lager I have tried so far.

3.35/5  rDev +47.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Drank ice cold strife from the bottle. This beer is getting a little tough to find in my neck of the woods, I guess it's just not very popular in the NY Metro Area. If you don't expect much from this beer you won't be disappointed. It basically is what it is, a good thirst quencher for a hot summer day. Better then just about it the big Macro Brewery. I'll take an MGD or High Life over anything by Bud or Coors any day of the week.

4.52/5  rDev +99.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I always drank Miller High Life & it wasn't until recently that I started buying MGD. I always thought of it as an old man's beer. Then I found out that it was the same ingredients as High Life, just cold filtered instead of pasteurized, to help give it the draft beer taste. I see a lot of negative reviews but don't really understand them. Yes I know it's not a "craft beer" but I would recommend that you give it a try for yourself rather then read silly reviews.

4.26/5  rDev +87.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really don't understand the bad reviews. This beer is a notch up from High Life, and nothing beats it on a hot summer day. Excellent, honest lager.

I give this high rating because when it comes to MGD you have to compare it with other similar beers such as Budweiser, Heineken, Stella, Labatt Blue and so on. You shouldn't compare it to IPA's or stouts or ales but rather similar commercial beers and for me MGD gets a 5 because it's the most delicious. It is fraught canned and when you poke the tab as it suggests and pour it into a pint glass it just tastes very smooth with a creamy head and very crisp. If i tailgate this is my beer of choice. Although haven't had this beer since Budweiser took over so next time I have it my opinion might change.

2.82/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

These kind of beers (bud lite, coors lite, corona etc.) can't be rated on the same scale as badass IPAs and the like. It's apples to oranges and these should be rated based on what they're supposed to be. One isn't meant to sit down and savor the taste of a can of MGD. It's a casual drink for a hot day to go down quickly, smoothly and lightly (which it does).

Having a summer pool party with the friends? I'll take this over a stout any day.
Winter night after work and want to watch a movie or read a book? I'll take a Ballast Point stout.

Nice and fizzy, not much of any initial taste but goes down nicely with a bready and sweet corn aftertaste. It's quite light and is great for any hot day barbecue.

4.03/5  rDev +77.5%

For what it is, not bad. Very crisp and malty, what a beer should be for commercial macros. One of only a few macro brews I wouldn't mind seeking out again from time to time. Best drunk from a can or poured from can to glass. Bottle of this though is horrible.

4.21/5  rDev +85.5%

This is a crysteal clear, radiently golden beer. It has no head to speak of, but does manage to leave quite a bit of lacing after the pour. Aromas are very light, and of cracked grain. No sickly sweetness to the aroma at all.

For the style, this beer tastes pretty badass. It is refreshingly dry, balanced, and delivers just a splash of fruity hop flavor in the finish. A light but very creamy mouthfeel accentuates these qualities to make this by far my favorite offering from the big 3. It is a very fresh tasting beer with minor, if any, perceptable flaws.

2.9/5  rDev +27.8%

L: brilliant straw with a hint of gold filled with streams of rapidly rising bubbles, 1" white cap with fair retention.

S: aromas are low with smells of light grain, cracker, bread dough, a hint of hops, and a trace of sulfur.

T: flavor is low to medium low. The beer starts with a neutral, low grainy flavor with just a trace of corn and light cracker, very low herbal hop flavors, and low hop bitterness

F: highly carbonated with a light body and a low level of creaminess

O: Not much here.

3.75/5  rDev +65.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Yes this is a cereal and grain watery type beer, but it does go down easy. I actually think it is a pretty good beer. Moderately bubbly, okay lacing, tastes of cereal and water. For some reason I actually really like this beer if I want to drink a good amount of beer.

2.75/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Consumed our if a screw-top aluminum can at a minor-league baseball game.

Cold, refreshing, went down easy. It's not Sculpin, it's not Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold. It's MGD, and it's exactly what a minor-league baseball game calls for. It's an inoffensive, easy to drink AAL.

3.18/5  rDev +40.1%

Basic. Golden in appearance with decent head retention and lacing. The nose is grainy without hops; and as much alcohol as could normally be detected. Basically a "generic" beer aroma. It's crisp in the mouth with a median carbonation and moderate body. The grainy maltiness of the nose is present in the flavor along with a corn-like flavor. It's not sweet, but it's just barely balanced, leaving it lacking. Still, it's clean and dry. Basic.

2.98/5  rDev +31.3%

I picked up a twelve pack of this on a way to a party, i ended up drinking them after i had a couple other beers, but this beer is not as bad as everyone has been saying. I mean its not the greatest beer in the world, but for the price you are gettin a decent beer, Its very light and really easy to drink. the smell is a little odd but no different then bud light or coors. Overall its a decent beer and ill prolly pick up some more!

4.19/5  rDev +84.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Miller Genuine Draft. 473 ml can. 4.7% alc.

The beer has a light golden colour and a fluffy white head. There are lots of ascending bubbles.

Miller Genuine Draft has a very light grain smell, and there are also white bread notes. There is the faintest hint of hops, too.

In terms of taste, there is sweet grain, white bread, and an extremely small touch of hop bitterness toward the end.

Miller is light bodied, which is consistent with the style.

The finish is clean, crisp, and refreshing. This beer is very well done.

Still, I have to say that for an American-style Lager I prefer Pabst Blue Ribbon. I think it's superior.

But if you are buying strictly based on price, and this is cheaper, go with MGD.

3.21/5  rDev +41.4%

A- Poured this out of the clear bottle from the pack that I picked up in the States (much cheaper than here in Canada!). Gave a hard pour into a pint glass...didn't give much other than a quick fizzy head that dissapeared fast into a thin ring around the glass. Color is quite straw like and very clear. Nothing special here, however, the bright spot in this area is the lacing which surprisingly sticks around.

S- This area is the worst for me because quite frankly, this smells of raw grains and is somewhat skunky, not my favorite smell in a beer...at least it has a smell I guess! This reminds me of the smell I've experienced around harvest time in the area I live, which is dusty and of dry grass.

T- For a macro, I actually would put this 2nd, next to my beloved Keith's! It's got a decent malty taste, but the hops are virtually non-existant...just the very slightest of bitterness. I can taste a mild yeast flavor, as I would when having a little bit of raw dough. There is definately a clean flavor, with aftertastes of corn coming through. There is definitely more to the flavor of this beer, due to the cold filtering it endures.

M- I probably like this so much because as clean and crisp as this is, it is also very smooth. It has a body that leans more towards medium and this is evident when I swirl it around as well.

D- Full marks here, as I have had this on tap at my favorite pub and I do like it better on draft, however either way I could drink this all evening or any time really. It's a good summer beer and schooners are usually on special at the pub, which is always a good thing. I recommend this brew for anyone entering the world of beer!

3.08/5  rDev +35.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I think this beer is one of the best mass produced easily available in North America around. Cold clean and crisp a real thirst quencher on a hot summer day. It gets a bad rap from beer snobs but it's definitely one of my go to beers.

4.08/5  rDev +79.7%

Underratred. Clean and crisp with fine malty taste. Not a strong, extreme beer, but it isn't supposed to be, the mouthfeel is extraordinary, I would put this up against SNPA on a hot summer day anytime. For the price and availability, this squashes many of the artsy micros. Open your mind, this is a fine beer.

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 2.27 out of 5 with 2,524 ratings