Miller Genuine Draft | Miller Brewing Co.

awful

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Ratings: 2,464 |  Reviews: 655
Reviews by flyingpig:
2.02/5  rDev -14.8%

Straw coloured & crystal clear with almost no head & a couple bubbles rising to the surface.

Pretty much no aroma here, just a clean chemical & grain like smell that you have to struggle to detect at all.

Quite bland with grain, corn & cereal dominating the mix. Not much else to report really. It's not unpleasant but does lack flavour.

Very light bodied & incredibly smooth & easy to drink. Also has a slight tang that isn't too unpleasant.

Not up to much compared with most other beers reviewed here. In it's favour is that it is cheap & not unpleasant. About on par with most other mass-market pale lagers.

More at:

O my Lord. How do you really rate the beer of yer indigent youth without bias.

This was my default, O my brothers. My go-to, my backup. Others have Pabst, others have Rolling Rock, others have Yuengling, but mine was MGD.

I have had too many good times on the back end of an MGD to rate it any lower than a 2, but too much presence of mind to rate it any higher.

This is swill. There's no two ways about it. But, O my brothers, in the early to mid 1990s, it had the moniker "genuine", which was enough to sell it to a dork like me.

One night, one glorious night in the relative innocence of the 1990s I got picked up in a bar in Wisconsin after having ten of these by a VERY pretty girl, despite being myself utterly average in every regard, with no effort whatsoever expended on my part, and for that reason, MGD always has a home in my home when push comes to shove.

But it's really awful beer, truth to be told. I wouldn't buy this on purpose in a scenario short of the zombie apocalypse.

4.52/5  rDev +90.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I always drank Miller High Life & it wasn't until recently that I started buying MGD. I always thought of it as an old man's beer. Then I found out that it was the same ingredients as High Life, just cold filtered instead of pasteurized, to help give it the draft beer taste. I see a lot of negative reviews but don't really understand them. Yes I know it's not a "craft beer" but I would recommend that you give it a try for yourself rather then read silly reviews.

4.21/5  rDev +77.6%

This is the cold filtered, unpasteurized version of High Life.

It is a beautiful lager. Color, clarity, and head are all spot on. Head fades a little too quickly from the adjunct.

Mild, neutral, grainy aroma.

Top quality taste for a high adjunct, pale, American-style lager. The fact that this is not pasteurized is huge. The heat from pasteurization really diminishes the flavor of beer. Drink this side by side with a High Life and taste the difference. It is the same beer! MGD is malty and grainy, but with minimal astringency. The body is smooth but also somewhat rich and satisfying. Bitter, lemony, mild hops linger. Yes there is some corn / grain. But the beer tastes good and fresh and mild.

Mouthfeel is perfect for the style.

Overall pretty damn good and way underrated.

3.18/5  rDev +34.2%

Basic. Golden in appearance with decent head retention and lacing. The nose is grainy without hops; and as much alcohol as could normally be detected. Basically a "generic" beer aroma. It's crisp in the mouth with a median carbonation and moderate body. The grainy maltiness of the nose is present in the flavor along with a corn-like flavor. It's not sweet, but it's just barely balanced, leaving it lacking. Still, it's clean and dry. Basic.

3.08/5  rDev +30%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I think this beer is one of the best mass produced easily available in North America around. Cold clean and crisp a real thirst quencher on a hot summer day. It gets a bad rap from beer snobs but it's definitely one of my go to beers.

3.65/5  rDev +54%

Pours out a clear golden color with a foamy sudsy white head that quickly dissipates. Nice streaming bubbles.

Smell is sweet with some bready malts coming through.

Taste is like sweet corn with a touch of a burn at the back of tongue.

Feel is refreshing and crisp with a clean finish.

Overall I like this beer because it is a simple refreshing lager that really does not pretend to be anything over the top. It laced the heck out of my glass all the way down and the taste was of a good cold refreshing glass of beer flavored beer.

2.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

L:
-pours a light golden with a medium,foamy,white head
-medium carbonation visible
S:
-corn sweetness,biscuity,slight honey,spicy hops,faint cardboard
T:
-no hops detectable,metallic,cereals,cooked potatoes
-finishes dry with lingering corn sweetness
F:
-medium carbonation
-light body
O:
Honestly,it's not as awful as often talked about.
Overall a slightly below average Pale Lager.
Nothing offensively awful.

1.75/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

It's not the worst American Adjunct Lager, but it's certainly not great either. You know what you're getting into if you are on this website and buy this beer.

2.73/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

HEY!! I just realized I've never given this beer a proper review!

MGD pours a bronze-gold color (or horse pee, whichever is more eloquent to you); distorted slightly by the violent migration of tiny bubbles to the top like a champagne. The head is stable, very stable, and sticks around at a creamy pinky finger's height. I'm actually very impressed at the head retention on this mass produced lager. It leaves lace, too.

Aroma is perfumey, but only slightly, with hints of orange pith, banana, dried corn, pool shock, and hay.

Flavor is purely chemical to start, then the fruity esters arrive with banana and blueberry; sweet corn, bready pilsner malts, and finally a grassy, bready finish.

Feel is the best part. It's so quenching, so carbonated, and leaves a slightly resinous feel on the teeth. I like it.

Overall, it's a pretty solid AAL, and if you can't find Pabst, Old Style, or Rolling Rock, this will do the trick nicely and when you're all done, the glass smells like bread.

2.55/5  rDev +7.6%

This Miller product has that distinctive "Miller Taste" to it. Corny with some skunk. Not one that I have too often, but when I get the hankering for it, I'll buy a sixer of this. Taste is sweet corn, much like other Miller products. There was also a slight metallic twinge to this beer, but it was ever so subtle.

4.26/5  rDev +79.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really don't understand the bad reviews. This beer is a notch up from High Life, and nothing beats it on a hot summer day. Excellent, honest lager.

I give this high rating because when it comes to MGD you have to compare it with other similar beers such as Budweiser, Heineken, Stella, Labatt Blue and so on. You shouldn't compare it to IPA's or stouts or ales but rather similar commercial beers and for me MGD gets a 5 because it's the most delicious. It is fraught canned and when you poke the tab as it suggests and pour it into a pint glass it just tastes very smooth with a creamy head and very crisp. If i tailgate this is my beer of choice. Although haven't had this beer since Budweiser took over so next time I have it my opinion might change.

1.62/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Had from a bottle.

L: Clear light golden. Thin white head... fizzes up and fizzes right down.

S: Cooked veggies..light grains.

T/F: Taste is bland... light grains, cooked corn, the barest whisp of something that may have once been hops towards the finish. The biggest plus on this is that it's smooth and crisp if served ice cold (cold counts as a flavor for this beer... it hasn't got much else going for it). The biggest negative... is the aftertaste. Not sure of what it is. Not sure I want to find out.. it tastes like a nursing home.

O: Not a beer I would ever seek out. Under any circumstances. When your 90 year old grandpop asks if you want to have a beer with him, and this is what he's got... you smile and have a MGD. Not many other situations will suffice.

1.78/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Macro Smackdown XI will be a slightly different animal. This plastic bottle (what! another serving type?) of Miller Genuine Draft is a macro lager brewed by a macrobrewery. Its competitor today is a can of Brew City Ice, a macro lager brewed by a microbrewery. Who's to say if it's a fair or an unfair fight? The Queensbury rules will be jettisoned in favor of gouging, biting, sucker punching and low blows. Have at it boys!

Lucent yellow-gold with a fairly large amount of fine carbonation leading up to a bright white head of semi-stiff foam. Surprisingly, there's a good bit of lace, at least at this early stage. I never expected this much cap persistence or this much glass coverage.

The nose on this beer is more powerful, which initially lead me to think that it was superior. After a few more sniffs I've determined that though they're vastly different--more different than in any previous MacSmack--they're equal in terms of likeability, or lack thereof. The more I smell, the more I've decided that isn't the case. Round two goes to Brew City Ice.

No surprise that the flavor follows the nose (with both beers). Even though it's been a long, long time since I've had a Miller product, I'm pretty sure I could identity the brewer blindfolded. Corny sweet vies with what tastes like hop extract to produce nothing much of value. This is not good beer. That fact that it has more flavor than the standard macro lager is not a good thing at all.

As always, it's hard to divorce mouthfeel from flavor. Try as I might, I can't filter out what the beer is doing to my taste buds in order to appreciate what it's doing tactilely. Several more sips tell me that there's very little difference between these two. Round four ends in a draw.

As is my custom, I'm wrapping up the reviews before actually assigning the scores, but it's pretty obvious that Miller Genuine Draft is the clear loser of Macro Smackdown XI. In comparison to the winner, it's a crude effort that is becoming much more nasty as it warms. As far as I'm concerned, Miller High Life is still the only drinkable beer from this brewery.

3.51/5  rDev +48.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I tried this beer one time during the summer of 2012 and thought it was an ok to slightly decent beer. It is not a beer that i would have all of the time, but I would probably recommend it to another to try it. The taste was distinct and was very smooth and different from Miller High Life. The process of making a draft beer gives this beer a different characteristic.

2.13/5  rDev -10.1%

Appearance – Clear, yellow body with strong carbonation and the typical Puxatawny Phil up and down head.

Smell – A light grain aroma, but not a lot. The Bud was a veritable bouquet compared to this nose.

Taste – Typical grain with a good amount of sweetness. Definitely sweeter than The King. It’s not fruit, though. More like Ju-Ju Bees or Gummi-Bears (not the good Gummi-Bears from Germany; those awful ones that they sell at the movie theaters).

What the heck is going on with the finish here? I can’t describe it, but it ruined what little flavor was in the body. I don’t know what that is.

Mouthfeel – Good carbonation and fairly smooth.

Drinkability – Thirty-minutes of prep time in the freezer and canned to keep out the skunk does the trick with this one. That aftertaste though probably took it down a whole point.

2.5/5  rDev +5.5%

1.5/5  rDev -36.7%

4.21/5  rDev +77.6%

This is a crysteal clear, radiently golden beer. It has no head to speak of, but does manage to leave quite a bit of lacing after the pour. Aromas are very light, and of cracked grain. No sickly sweetness to the aroma at all.

For the style, this beer tastes pretty badass. It is refreshingly dry, balanced, and delivers just a splash of fruity hop flavor in the finish. A light but very creamy mouthfeel accentuates these qualities to make this by far my favorite offering from the big 3. It is a very fresh tasting beer with minor, if any, perceptable flaws.

1.5/5  rDev -36.7%

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.