Miller Genuine Draft | Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,527 |  Reviews: 671
1.87/5  rDev -17.6%

Plastic bottle, how low can you go? Yellow insipid color, large bubbles. Minimal head, doesnt stick around long. Nose is of corn and a wiff of cabadge. This stuff is bad, real bad. Taste is of corn, rice and faintist note of malt. cant detect hops, sure a few were put in the kettle. lawn mower beer, good on a very hot day.

1.58/5  rDev -30.4%

I had a couple of these from the bottle at an industry trade meeting. The bar didn’t offer many selections...all macros…and I couldn’t remember the last time I’d had one of these (12 years ago…or longer?).
What an absolute disaster: yellow water. I honestly tried to find some discerning characteristics. There simply are none. It’s yellow. It has no smell. It tastes like water. It is not bitter. It is not sweet. It’s somewhat over-carbonated. Maybe, just maybe, if you inhale with all your might and swish it around your mouth for a minute or more, you’ll get a slight graininess. It doesn’t taste like crap because it has no taste.
I really can’t think of anything to add.

1.32/5  rDev -41.9%

24 oz. can served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Oooh pale yellow. Surprise. Minimal head and scant carbonation. The head collapses to a film after 1.5 seconds. No lacing.

Smell: Sweet cornlike aromas. Faint hints of honey (or some sort of sugary stuff). Faint all-around on the aroma. My boo compared this to "decomposing rat." (she lived in NYC for awhile and took the subway to work (this was before Giuliani)).

Taste: Ossly brackish. Bready malt with grassy aftertastes. Mild sulfury finish. Boo called this "ass." I didn't ask how she knew.

Mouthfeel: Light in body, substance, anything. Overly watery.

Drinkability: The only macro I felt like drain pouring. It's craptastic.

Other: My can had NASCAR stuff on it. Where's mah pork rinds, boy!

1.41/5  rDev -37.9%

First the positives....it's got a cool gold and black restyled can since I last drank it....if only what was inside tasted as good as the can is designed...

I used to work for the local Miller distributor in college in the mid-to-late 80's and I remember when this first came out...I remember it being maltier, and tastier than this current version...I always thought High Life was better and now believe it to be vastly superior...I'm disappointed in this...I didn't expect the greatest beer in the world, and can definitely appreciate a decent macro from time to time....this falls short....I won't go into a lengthy detailed description...I'll sum things up quickly...Overcarbonated...too much head...soapy flavor...some metallic flavors....overall a poor tasting macro...

1.18/5  rDev -48%

Wow, this beer just snowballs in a bad direction right from the start. The can is even a sickly yellow, big MDG on the label, with lots of faux condensation printed onto the can. Okay appearance for a macro, a little bit darker than straw, thin mottled head of foam that conks out, and even leaves a slight bit of lacing at first. For the smell I am having trouble getting through some sort of industrial/chemical aroma, but hiding behind that is grain husk and what I think is more rice adjunct than corn. The taste is truly repulsive, my god, this is worse than that A Marca Bavaria I had tried. Sharp chemical bite at first, rancid grains to follow, with the most horrible aftertaste I can remember encountering. I would gladly accept a Crazy Ed's Chili Beer to wash this down and kill this aftertaste. I'm craving a malt liquor after this, if only as a small step up in flavour. Can't even focus on the mouthfeel due to the taste. MGD, never again! This is the dregs of the dregs for any macros I've ever consumed so far.

1.55/5  rDev -31.7%

I can describe MGD in one word, "undrinkable". I mean in it's can variant, this shit is just undrinkable. This is coming from a college kid, where Beast is god and when the frat boys actually spring for Coors Light at a party its like Christmas; but this MGD, I couldn't even shotgun this brew without getting sick. Your better off getting some CAMO or Steel Reserve even, steer clear of the MGD at all costs.

2.5/5  rDev +10.1%

Its sometimes hard to step back and review a beer from the college student perspective. THis beer is not very good when compared to the ranks of true beers. But granted severe budgetary constraints and lack of availability, this isnt necessarily a bad choice. Theres not much appearance to this beer I'd assume, although i did consume it direcly from the can, as I was in a hurry to finish it and be off to more important things. The smell was nothing much in the way of anything except for some slight watery wheats. At least it wasnt too metalic (except for the can smell). The taste was actually bearable. It was watery and bland, but at least it wasnt sickening like most macros. It had an almost pleasant wheaty taste to it, and nothing else at all. I suppose I usually try to rate "lesser" beers on terms of whether they make me sick or not. This beer, therefore, succeeded because my stomach remained sympathetic to my causes after drinking it. The mouthfeel was typical, heavily carbonated water. Not much to this beer, except that for my position, it is decently affordable, and for the purposes of college life, it's not a bad beer at all. I'd prefer a High Life to this, but my friends seem to overwhelmingly choose MGD. It works for me, so hey I'll drink it.

2.35/5  rDev +3.5%

I guess this is drinkable at keg parties but not anywhere else. It poured a clear yellow color with a lightly frothy head that faded after a minute or two. The smell was very sweet and not pleasing at all. The taste was not much better. It was a very sweet taste but a grainy sweetness that got to me after a couple sips. I guess I got used to it after a few sips and it started going down eaiser so I gave it a little bit higher drinkability rating. Overall it is a standard macro that is bland, boring and not worth your time.

1.63/5  rDev -28.2%

Had this one when out with some friends as there was no other choice. I'm sure glad I was bracing for the worst with this one as it had very little redeeming qualities. Apearance was just a straw gold color with a small white head formed of huge bubbles. Smell, well i couldn't smell anything and in my opinion that's not very good. Taste was just off. There was a dominate earthy flavor in this beer that just seemed to gather in my mouth the further i got down the pint. I guess one could drink a few of these as it wasn't that offensive, but i just couldn't get past the earthy/mud like qualities of this beer.

2.1/5  rDev -7.5%

Had this in most its forms

Another macro pale US lager

Straw coloured body, light lace free head

The smell is very malty, faint skunkiness

Taste is malty, and has a similar rice taste to that of budweiser, very very dull and not that drinkable

Not a great pale lager, infact a very poor one

2.1/5  rDev -7.5%

Let's start with why Miller puts their MGD on tap. I thought the whole idea behind the beer was draft beer in a can. Okay, so I decided to find out if it was better on tap. No, it isn't. Straw colored and highly carbonate. The odor reminded me of what a house smells like the morning after a huge party with empties laying all over the place and beer spilled in the corners. It tastes like beer. It is thin and bubbly in the mouth sort of like carbonated water. I did not want to finish the first one, didn't one a second, and didn't get one. The best thing that can be said is that it's better than Natty light or Beast.

I am not impressed but then again im not suprised. The appearance of the beer isn't all that great. It has a earthy smeel and its very bland in your mouth with a little bit of maltiness but not so noticable. Save your money. What you would expect from one of the biggest in the US.

1.75/5  rDev -22.9%

MGD has the worst bottling of any beer, the clear bottle just turns you off from the beer. Pours the usuall yellow straw yellow with minimul foamy head that will fizzle away quickly. MGD did have lacing on the glass when I drank it though, I like that some don't care. The smell is of corn, alot of the miller brands have this odd smell of strong corn with minimul hops. The taste is not horrible but not average either. A bitter beer with the corn taste. Feels pretty lively in the mouth though, little more substance than other macros. If I had to choose an american macro this wouldn't be it.

1.82/5  rDev -19.8%

Yet another Superbowl leftover. Been drinking these things like water, so I figured I better review it before they’re gone.

Appearance: Slightly darker-than-average, crystal clear straw gold. Little head, and that vanishes immediately. A bit of lacing.

Smell: Nothing? Seriously, I’ve had me nose in the glass for about five minutes now, I’ve swirled, I’ve inhaled until I’m on the verge of passing out, and still, absolutely nothing.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Er… well, the mouthfeel isn’t awful; it has slightly more weight than your average macro. The flavor is watery and mildly sweet, although I wouldn’t say malty. The finish is virtually nonexistent, the sharp carbonation fizzes it away almost completely—you’d never even know you’d drank a beer.

Drinkability: You could drink them all day; you could also drink Perrier all day. Not offensive or truly awful a-la Pacifica, but a really bland, boring beer. Honestly, the High Life is, IMHO, a much better (and cheaper) brew. I’d pass.

1.63/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Compared 4 U.S. Macro brews together to see if there is REALLY any winners here.

Executive Summary:

Scores: A S T M D

Coors Regular: 2 3 3 2 3 = 2.7
Budweiser Regular: 2 1.5 2 3 3 = 2.1
Miller MGD: 2 1.5 1.5 2.5 1.5 = 1.7
Ice House: 3 2.5 2 2.5 2 = 2.35

All brews were assumed to be a 2 in all categories before reviewing.

APPEARANCE: All look pretty much the same except Ice House, It’s a Bit darker.

SMELL: Budweiser has almost no smell, just a bit of grain. Coors smells distinctly of Banana and grain with a bit of yeast. MGD smells barely like bread. Ice House smells a bit citrus. Coors was best but Ice House was far better than Bud or MGD.

TASTE: Budweiser tastes of grain and is mildly sweet. Coors tastes of grain and is Tart compared to Budweiser. MGD tastes sweetest, but has an off taste to it. Ice House tastes like a tarter version of Budweiser. Coors was best, only MGD had a weird taste.

MOUTHFEEL: None of these really have it, Bud is thickest, and Coors is thinnest. Only Budweiser has any real Mouthfeel.

DRINKABILITY: Coors and Budweiser are about the same, MGD has that off taste and it cost it points, Ice House is OK, but not quite as good as Budweiser or Coors.

CONCLUSION: Drink better beers! But if you are trapped without a choice Coors, Bud, Ice House, and MGD.

1.86/5  rDev -18.1%

I'll keep the "be constructive" rule in mind.

Appearance: Poured a nice golden color, decent head, no lacing.

Smell: Grassy, weak, nothing really got my attention.

Taste: Very, very bland.

Mouthfeel: Crisp on the tongue, the level of CO2 was nice.

Drinkability: Save your money. It breaks my heart to say it because until I had my awakening, this was my favorite beer. To say something constructive about this beer: it won't give you Ebola.

2.46/5  rDev +8.4%

Decent golden appearance with a sweetish smell of hops and other grains. The taste is quite light and a bit sweet. The mouthfeel is thin and astringent and the drinkability is ok. I wish this was better, in actuality it is just pricier, repackaged, high life.

not bad for macro swill.

2.68/5  rDev +18.1%

Although the head was unimpressive, the beer did offer a fair amount of lace. There is a strange soapy yeastiness to the aroma that while not entirely totally off-putting, is not something I desire in beer.

Miller Genuine Draft is weak stuff. It is a weird beer. It stars off with a slight strange sweet flavour and ends with an equally slight dryness. The taste is balanced but only in homeopathic doses. I can't put my finger on what is happening. Too much corn, perhaps? Or did they add something else to it?

If you beers with a minimum of taste, be my guest.

2.35/5  rDev +3.5%

Had it from the can and from a mug. Medium yellow, with a very small head. Smells of grain, corn, and a little malt. It is a very smooth beer, somewhat watered-down tasting. The grain flavor is very strong, almost defining this beer. Not the worst thing I have ever had, but it's lacking many elements to be a good beer.

2.8/5  rDev +23.3%

Had this in the new plastic 16 oz bottle, and it's better than coors anyhow.
straw yellow color, little lasting head.
smells like typical cheap beer
Tastes like liquid cheerios - and I enjoy cheerios. Lots of my friends drink this, and I can drink it all day without complaining. If you keep it cold, its a good beer for mindless summer activity like softball or fishing. when warm, it tends to acquire an unpleasant sour fruit flavor, and alchohol notes- it becomes "not good at all". Just keep it cold and its OK.

1.35/5  rDev -40.5%

just do not like this beer. my best mate loves this stuff and sometimes tries to subject me to it. even tho its my namesake, i politely decline.

the only reason i can see why locals rate this higher than bud or coors is coz theres some aspect of hops there. apart from that, the colors so insipid ot could pass as a dodgy urine sample, and the taste is horrid. i wouldnt drink millers if it was the last beer on earth. thats sayin something coz i wouldnt even say that about bud.

pretty much a disgrace, if i was faced with this and a CUB brew, id probably just take the carlton. this would be pretty close to the worst overall import ive ever had. why cant the U.S govt let them import some decent beer? surely thats not too much to ask.

I used to drink this on the Amtrak from Winona, MN to Minneapolis when I'd take it twice a year (before I got a car). A very average beer in all conditions, but ice-cold, fresh from Milwaukee (where the train leaves approximately four hours before reaching Winona) and with the atmosphere of the last passenger train line in America on its side, it's not half-bad. Clean taste with virtually no discernable aftertaste.

This wouldn't ever be my regular beer, but I'll gladly drink it in an environment where better beer isn't available.

2.62/5  rDev +15.4%

i bought this in the form of a forty ounce. I couldn't see drinking a Miller any other way. First thing is first. This is a really pretty beer. Gilden yellow color that leads to a frothy head. sounds pretty good so far. i smelled it. It smelled sour. Not too strong, but the scent was there. I tipped back my glass and got a very weak malt taste. I'm not sure, but it had seemed a little watery too me. If I wanted water I would have got a glass from the sink. Pretty average for the style. I'm sorry Miller. I know we were friends back in high school, but I grew up. I have new friends now.

1.25/5  rDev -44.9%

The good news is that it was free at the golf tournament I played in today. The bad news is, well, it's MGD and it was in a can.
The flavor is more sour than bitter and it should be served ice cold so as not to inflame your taste buds. I guess if your goal is to find a cheap way to drink something that is labeled as 'beer', this one would qualify

1.03/5  rDev -54.6%

Fizzy yellow color, small head. Chemical macro-beer aroma. EECH, this stuff reeks. Cornish flavor. Some malts, some hops and some flavor. Mass-market swill. Drank it cause it was free. Think I will drink a soda next time. Mouthfeel is thin and metallic. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is neutral.

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 2.27 out of 5 with 2,527 ratings