Miller Genuine Draft | Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft
2.27/5
Poor
Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Miller Genuine Draft delivers a fresh from the tap taste through its proprietary "cold-filtered four times" brewing process. Introduced nationally in 1986, Miller Genuine Draft was born as the original cold-filtered packaged draft beer. Today, Miller Genuine Draft is reinforcing its status as the best draft beer in a bottle.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,541 |  Reviews: 674
3.15/5  rDev +38.8%

Since finding the BP with 99 cent 24's , I figure some of the beers I'd never try again, I can sample again really cheap. I spent a little more (1.10 OUCH) for this fine beverage, my first favorite beer MGD. I'll compare it with the Miller High Life I recently had. First few tastes, not so damn bad.

I always felt this was a step above and I would indeed prefer this to a Bud. (Truth. Not SABMiller Ad Hype) and yes, it looks and smells like every other macro. It's mouthfeel is slightly better because the creamy texture and drinkability is slightly better too because it goes down clean with a pleasant aftertaste.

How about the taste? Average but better than MHL. I'd take this if it was priced the same a Busch which is not saying much. Light alcohol flavor, heavy corn flavor but it doesn't specifically taste like corn as the hops and grain balance it taking off the MHL corn edge. Lets just say that if I'm ever going to drink Miller again, this would be the beer.

2.3/5  rDev +1.3%

This is probably the best beer that you'll see in a plastic cup at a frat house. Clearly, calling both this and Delirium beer seems wrong, but if I was drinking from a keg on someone's lawn and had to choose between MGD, Bud, Coors, and the rest of that class, MGD would come out on top every time. This is the best beer that can be affordably given to dozens or hundreds of people. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it sure beats Special Export.

2.58/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

My favorite of the American macros. Not great, but not heinous either. It makes me laugh now that back in college I was thought of as a "beer snob" because I drank MGD instead of Busch or Natty Ice. Of course, now that I have had some of the better beers, MGD pales in comparison, but I am not averse to buying a six-pack every now and then when I can't decide what I want at the beer store. That pretty much sums MGD up, I guess. Just a generic-looking, generic-tasting, not-too-terrible, relatively cheap beer. Meh.

3.3/5  rDev +45.4%

not horrable on tap, better than can or bottle. still not by far a good beer but somewhat better than in the bottle. has a flavor to it, not strong but not overly weak either. it was really cheap on tap, so that helps, i guess a fair beer for your value, but i would stick to tap

2.78/5  rDev +22.5%

Nice clear bottle, pours out slightly darker than most lagers. Smells sweet, actually pretty pungent.

It tastes like Miller High Life only more watery and not as sweet. Not at all bad, but not good either. The aftertaste is a little dry and bitter, which is probably my biggest problem with this beer. It's exceptionally smooth and goes down even easier than Miller High Life, though.

2.6/5  rDev +14.5%

Basically a standard macro in my opinion. Color is urine yellow and smell is typical macro rice or corn. Taste isn't very flavorful, but is smooth enough not to bother me. Drinkability is fairly decent since GD is smooth and doesn't have any strong negative flavors. Overall, this seems like a typical macro, good as a thirst quencher, but not enough flavor for an enjoyable beer experience.

2.45/5  rDev +7.9%

I was pleasantly surprised by the appearance of this one. Clear, brass-colored body topped by a shock white but billowy, lasting head. Heavy carbonation.

Unfortunately, it's all downhill from there.

Armoa of typical American macrobrew corn/rice adjuncts. Nothing else.

Taste mimics the smell. It's all corny rice, or ricey corn. Some hops mitigate this, but barely.

Mouthfeel typical of the style, a little harsh from the carbonation. Finishes with a whimper.

This is drinkable in the right circumstances, such as sitting in a sports arena with a hot dog or nachos in one hand, a MGD in the other. Other than that, avoid it.

1.51/5  rDev -33.5%

I just went to my friends house to celebrate the 4th of July and this beer and Miller Lite were all they had to offer! Shit, damn, other curse words, I can't believe I forgot to bring any beers. The appearance isn't awful because there is a nice fluffy head but this almost looks like water otherwise. No aroma and the taste is very bland, all I really taste is the can. Light in body but I guess it is smooth. I could probably drink a lot of these, but would I really want to? NO!

1.93/5  rDev -15%

Unlike most American macros in Canada, this is brewed in Wisconsin and actually imported, as opposed to being brewed under license by Labatt/Molson/Sleeman's. Corn taste, reminded me of Corona/Sol in basically every aspect. And it didn't agree with my stomach very much. Yuck.

1.65/5  rDev -27.3%

Bright yellow with a big head that dwindles. The head collects on the glass but it's not so much lacing as clumping.

The smell is reminiscent of college dorm on Sunday.

Taste isn't completely disagreeable. Just mostly. Stale malty taste tapers off quickly into a metal taste that last a while.

Bubbles and foam but mostly watery mouthfeel.

I don't want to drink another one these...ever.

2.61/5  rDev +15%

re-review 21/1/06
used as a calibration tool for bud and cascade draught.

same coloring (like that would change), decent stable 1/4in white head.

none of the sulphur i got from the can review. nothing special, just a bit of adjunct sweetness.

taking hints from the style description, this is thin on taste. im guessing single digit ibu's (if not negative). same sort of adjunct sweetness in the taste, but not cloying. obviously built for speed (of consumption), not substance (of taste).

much more enjoyable than out of the can, and this was two weeks past date and shipped to another country.

initial can review 8/6/04
clear yellowish color. basic pale lager.
sulphury aroma, like a lit match.
flavor basicallt a clone of miller lite, just a touch more body.
leaves a funny looking lacing on the glass. sort of a processed look.
if you can get past the smell, its pretty run-of-the-mill.

1.9/5  rDev -16.3%

This brew is a sick gold color, white head. Overemphasis on sweet cornsyrup, not much can be said except that this is pretty much youre standard macro brew, probably on the lower half of the macros sad bunch of offerings. On the plus side it comes in plastic bottles so that when you throw them on the field in disgust, no one should be hurt.

2.3/5  rDev +1.3%

more bbq beer! anyway this was a clear light golden, fizzy white head. aroma was like any other mass produced lager, simple, light...but a touch off. kinda medicinal? flavor was simple and clean...major corn, light hop touch, light mineral taste. not good but not offensive either. of course this was ice cold and i admit, it was refreshing.

2.06/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours a champagne like, bubbly as hell yellow with a medium soapy head. not the worst of the macros in terms of appearance, but nothing good here either. the smell is really pretty bad, even for a macro: watery and metallic hop notes with hints of grain and a rubber tire. taste? what taste? less flavour than a miller lite. watery and sweet, at best. i found none of the finest hops and roasted malts that are boasted on the label, but perhaps noticed some wet cardboard dipped in sugar. drinkability is average, at best, i'd say, for the macro genre. blah.

1.87/5  rDev -17.6%

Plastic bottle, how low can you go? Yellow insipid color, large bubbles. Minimal head, doesnt stick around long. Nose is of corn and a wiff of cabadge. This stuff is bad, real bad. Taste is of corn, rice and faintist note of malt. cant detect hops, sure a few were put in the kettle. lawn mower beer, good on a very hot day.

1.58/5  rDev -30.4%

I had a couple of these from the bottle at an industry trade meeting. The bar didn’t offer many selections...all macros…and I couldn’t remember the last time I’d had one of these (12 years ago…or longer?).
What an absolute disaster: yellow water. I honestly tried to find some discerning characteristics. There simply are none. It’s yellow. It has no smell. It tastes like water. It is not bitter. It is not sweet. It’s somewhat over-carbonated. Maybe, just maybe, if you inhale with all your might and swish it around your mouth for a minute or more, you’ll get a slight graininess. It doesn’t taste like crap because it has no taste.
I really can’t think of anything to add.

1.32/5  rDev -41.9%

24 oz. can served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Oooh pale yellow. Surprise. Minimal head and scant carbonation. The head collapses to a film after 1.5 seconds. No lacing.

Smell: Sweet cornlike aromas. Faint hints of honey (or some sort of sugary stuff). Faint all-around on the aroma. My boo compared this to "decomposing rat." (she lived in NYC for awhile and took the subway to work (this was before Giuliani)).

Taste: Ossly brackish. Bready malt with grassy aftertastes. Mild sulfury finish. Boo called this "ass." I didn't ask how she knew.

Mouthfeel: Light in body, substance, anything. Overly watery.

Drinkability: The only macro I felt like drain pouring. It's craptastic.

Other: My can had NASCAR stuff on it. Where's mah pork rinds, boy!

1.41/5  rDev -37.9%

First the positives....it's got a cool gold and black restyled can since I last drank it....if only what was inside tasted as good as the can is designed...

I used to work for the local Miller distributor in college in the mid-to-late 80's and I remember when this first came out...I remember it being maltier, and tastier than this current version...I always thought High Life was better and now believe it to be vastly superior...I'm disappointed in this...I didn't expect the greatest beer in the world, and can definitely appreciate a decent macro from time to time....this falls short....I won't go into a lengthy detailed description...I'll sum things up quickly...Overcarbonated...too much head...soapy flavor...some metallic flavors....overall a poor tasting macro...

1.18/5  rDev -48%

Wow, this beer just snowballs in a bad direction right from the start. The can is even a sickly yellow, big MDG on the label, with lots of faux condensation printed onto the can. Okay appearance for a macro, a little bit darker than straw, thin mottled head of foam that conks out, and even leaves a slight bit of lacing at first. For the smell I am having trouble getting through some sort of industrial/chemical aroma, but hiding behind that is grain husk and what I think is more rice adjunct than corn. The taste is truly repulsive, my god, this is worse than that A Marca Bavaria I had tried. Sharp chemical bite at first, rancid grains to follow, with the most horrible aftertaste I can remember encountering. I would gladly accept a Crazy Ed's Chili Beer to wash this down and kill this aftertaste. I'm craving a malt liquor after this, if only as a small step up in flavour. Can't even focus on the mouthfeel due to the taste. MGD, never again! This is the dregs of the dregs for any macros I've ever consumed so far.

1.55/5  rDev -31.7%

I can describe MGD in one word, "undrinkable". I mean in it's can variant, this shit is just undrinkable. This is coming from a college kid, where Beast is god and when the frat boys actually spring for Coors Light at a party its like Christmas; but this MGD, I couldn't even shotgun this brew without getting sick. Your better off getting some CAMO or Steel Reserve even, steer clear of the MGD at all costs.

2.5/5  rDev +10.1%

Its sometimes hard to step back and review a beer from the college student perspective. THis beer is not very good when compared to the ranks of true beers. But granted severe budgetary constraints and lack of availability, this isnt necessarily a bad choice. Theres not much appearance to this beer I'd assume, although i did consume it direcly from the can, as I was in a hurry to finish it and be off to more important things. The smell was nothing much in the way of anything except for some slight watery wheats. At least it wasnt too metalic (except for the can smell). The taste was actually bearable. It was watery and bland, but at least it wasnt sickening like most macros. It had an almost pleasant wheaty taste to it, and nothing else at all. I suppose I usually try to rate "lesser" beers on terms of whether they make me sick or not. This beer, therefore, succeeded because my stomach remained sympathetic to my causes after drinking it. The mouthfeel was typical, heavily carbonated water. Not much to this beer, except that for my position, it is decently affordable, and for the purposes of college life, it's not a bad beer at all. I'd prefer a High Life to this, but my friends seem to overwhelmingly choose MGD. It works for me, so hey I'll drink it.

2.35/5  rDev +3.5%

I guess this is drinkable at keg parties but not anywhere else. It poured a clear yellow color with a lightly frothy head that faded after a minute or two. The smell was very sweet and not pleasing at all. The taste was not much better. It was a very sweet taste but a grainy sweetness that got to me after a couple sips. I guess I got used to it after a few sips and it started going down eaiser so I gave it a little bit higher drinkability rating. Overall it is a standard macro that is bland, boring and not worth your time.

1.63/5  rDev -28.2%

Had this one when out with some friends as there was no other choice. I'm sure glad I was bracing for the worst with this one as it had very little redeeming qualities. Apearance was just a straw gold color with a small white head formed of huge bubbles. Smell, well i couldn't smell anything and in my opinion that's not very good. Taste was just off. There was a dominate earthy flavor in this beer that just seemed to gather in my mouth the further i got down the pint. I guess one could drink a few of these as it wasn't that offensive, but i just couldn't get past the earthy/mud like qualities of this beer.

2.1/5  rDev -7.5%

Had this in most its forms

Another macro pale US lager

Straw coloured body, light lace free head

The smell is very malty, faint skunkiness

Taste is malty, and has a similar rice taste to that of budweiser, very very dull and not that drinkable

Not a great pale lager, infact a very poor one

2.1/5  rDev -7.5%

Let's start with why Miller puts their MGD on tap. I thought the whole idea behind the beer was draft beer in a can. Okay, so I decided to find out if it was better on tap. No, it isn't. Straw colored and highly carbonate. The odor reminded me of what a house smells like the morning after a huge party with empties laying all over the place and beer spilled in the corners. It tastes like beer. It is thin and bubbly in the mouth sort of like carbonated water. I did not want to finish the first one, didn't one a second, and didn't get one. The best thing that can be said is that it's better than Natty light or Beast.

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 2.27 out of 5 with 2,541 ratings