Miller High Life Light | Miller Brewing Co.

awful

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-16-2001

Reviews: 210 | Ratings: 719
1.48/5  rDev -38.1%

I'm going to be very careful not to use obscenities when describing this beer....

It smells really f'ing bad. No malt or hops in the nose at all! Just some popcorn butter (diacetyl?)....
It pours really f'ing bad. Like a sprite with yellow food coloring.
It tastes really friggin bad. Take a Budweiser and mix it half/half with water. Yeah... it's that bad. No malt, no hops, just a little corn flavor.

Mouthfeel and drinkability a little higher score... go figure.

Take care of yourself and the environment - pour these on your lawn. Your grass will love the stuff.

1.98/5  rDev -17.2%

I'm following these after having a Fuller's 1845...cruel? yes maybe.

This is a light straw, no head, no nose, no taste beer.

But...I can chug the hell outta it and not get all gassy.And I paid like $11.00 for and 18 pack. It actually has a little bit of a sweetness to it that reminds you that it's not water. And if you wanna get a quick yet sustainable buzz, holy cow this is the stuff.

Talk about no filling!!!

3.35/5  rDev +40.2%

A watery brew with just enough sweetness to make it enjoyable after playing two hours of basketball...what I like about this beer is that I can can about 5 or 6 in short period of time after working up a sweat and not be knocked on my ass....I know people say drink water after working out....I say fuck that...nothing tastes better than a light beer after totally dehydrating yourself in competion...

this is decent....light golden color...big frothy head...nose is light and adjuncty...not as sweet or flavorfull as regular High Life but for a light beer it has a nice little sweet flavor to it...light bodied....pretty crisp but smooth at the same time,,,

Doesn't seem any worse than any of the other light beers...really hits the spot nicely when thirsty...Some day I will do a blind taste test with 8-to-10 of the light beers and see how it turns out...for now this seems as good or bettr than any other than Sammy Light and a couple others...

2.66/5  rDev +11.3%

At this point, I've come to a good, general conclusion about light beer: It doesn't matter who makes it, it doesn't matter how much it costs, if you buy a light beer, you're in for a less than flavorful experience.

That being said, Miller High Life Light (the High Life brand being the constant target for beer snobs everywhere, including myself) isn't all that terrible. It isn't all that terrible for a light beer anyways. I've been on a quest of late to find a light beer I actually like, and so far, HLL is as good as any.

The color is pale, but there's more there than some of the others I've tried of late (Beck's, Green Light, etc.). Head is initially plentiful, but quickly disappears into a very thin foam. Crisp, clean and easy to drink, what beer taste that is there is minimal, but it's better than a Michelob Ultra or Rolling Rock Green Light, a decent bit of malt with slightly corn-y taste for good measure. Mouthfeel isn't bad, and I find the carbonation level quite satisfactory (taking another swallow now). Nope, not bad at all... It also goes quite well with food, and goes down easily (very slight bitterness).

I picked this up for $5.69 for a 12 at my local Publix. If I want a good beer for a good price, I'll got pick up a 12 of Red Stripe, Dos Equis or New Castle at my local Total Wine ($8.19, $8.79 & $10 respectively), but if I only want to go a couple of miles up the road and have $5 and some change on me, the High Life Light will more than do. Frankly, I can detect little difference between this and the non-Light High Life. Looking at both, side-by-side, the color is nearly the same (a pale amber), and the taste of the regular high-life is only a bit more malty (head stays a little longer too).

Why waste money on light beer? This is as cheap as anything else out there, and it's a whole helluva lot better than, oh, Southpaw. Tastes more like beer than a Beck's Light too (just finished a 12 of that off yesterday).

2.03/5  rDev -15.1%

Whereas most 18-pack cans costs $13-14, I saw this one hidden away (in a gas station) at $8.99. I figured if it was awful, I'd use the other 17 cans to make a brine for meat to-be-smoked.

It's appearance, when compared to its counterparts is average. It pours very light yellow with a thin head. It smells like a bowling alley or an aluminum can recycling center --take your pick. But honestly, it pretty much smells like corn. The taste is almost non-existent, when compared to crafted brews. But, compared to light versions of macro-lagers, it's better than average. Mouthfeel is mostly that of carbonation. It's easy to drink, but I can think of only two reasons to drink it: being broke or trying to add a new review here.

1.85/5  rDev -22.6%

In the tradition of Light beers, Miller has made an beer totally void of any character or taste. Though the taste is nonoffensive, the idea of it is. The American people are being made fools.
The colour is light clear gold in colour with a fizzy head that is so small, that it was barely noticable. It was gone in the matter of seconds.
The smell was non existant as was the taste. Watered down as much as a beer could be without turning into Sleeman Clear.
Not a good beer, nor will it ever be.

2.24/5  rDev -6.3%

I really like the champagne like appearance this beer has ;) But with that there's nothing much about this one. Very light but not as light as the other macro low carb crap. Slight sweetness but its lacking much else. The high carbonation gives this beer a little life but I'd say stick with the regular high life.

1.25/5  rDev -47.7%

There are not too many things I can say about this besides...iccckkk! Here is the situation in which I find myself drinking this beer:

Hot August Day
On a jet boat in the sun
2pm in the afternoon

Now, there are not too many things that could wipe the grin off my face besides this beer. To be totally honest, the taste is something that I have never come across in a shitty beer. Compared to regular high life (actually Ok in the macro world) this was like an old horse that needed to be shot!

1.9/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a standard Macro yellow/gold. Not a bad overall
appearance in the glass though. Sudsy head is a good finger
and a half high. Even a rim of soapy lacing clings to the
glass resulting in a perfect ring up until about 1/2 of the
way down. That's a suprise. I guess the pale golden color
and abundant carbonation which brings forth millions of
tiny bubbles that continue to effervesce until the beer is
gone brings about the "Champagne of Beers" slogan.

I don't know if its just the heavy association I have
through advertising or if this something I am geniunely
picking up but I swear I detect the odor of grass trimmings
in the nose, other than that I can make out an acrid,almost
sour hop trail in the scent, along with the cloyingly sweet
adjunt smell that hovers over just about all macros (although not nearly as much here as in other mass-produced products)

Taste comes in very light, slightly tart toward the begining, with the musty sweetness taking over and finishing up with that fresh-cut lawn aura hanging around as a reminder at the end. For a light lager that somebody picked up for me accidently, this ain't half bad. Not alot of content but it doesn't come with the associations or just plain bad/lack of taste that go hand in hand with many
other light macros.

1.55/5  rDev -35.1%

A pretty girl in a large-brimmed hat sits on the crescent moon, holding a glass of beer, and...does she beckon to ME? Shall I climb aboard the starry station, and join her in beery bliss...is this ambrosia the same that she holds aloft? I'm going to find out!
Crystal clear, pure yellow...Crayola couldn't beat this yellowness, it holds the patent...yup, that's yellow! With a big, though brief bunch of foam, delicate laciness, spectre-white.
Aroma: open, airy, in other words, nothing, big, fat, nada.
Taste: I'm sorry, what was the question? Water has more character, and is more refreshing...transparency exploded exponentially, this is a ghost of a shade of a whisper of a beer...soggy, corny, utterly vapid....body is lightness to the max, finish is nothing, taste doesn't count...a waste...why drink this? Why? If anyone has the answer, please don't hesitate to inform me...I live to learn...

1.88/5  rDev -21.3%

Very much like it's regular counterpart, this is still a clear gold color, with not much of a white head. The same corny sweetness of High Life regular, only with a ligher, more diluted flavor. It is still bad beer, that makes my stomache queasy every time I think about it (due to their ad featuring a man gorging on deviled eggs, and having to switch to light beer so he can choke down more food). One of the less quality light macros out there.

1.67/5  rDev -30.1%

high life light, from a can. Drunk straight from the can. The aromas are of light floral hops, malts, and adjuncts. The taste is more of the same, and actually...not too horrible. This stuff is less tasty in cans than it is in bottles though, and it does have a distinct mettalic taste to it as well! This stuff also has a very thin mouthfeel and a sub-standard drinkability so I am not impressed by it. This is better than a lot of the mass produced/mass marketed garbage light/lite beers, though!
cheers!,
F.

2.12/5  rDev -11.3%

Served in a 12 oz glass bottle. Almost clear yellow in collor with a very small head that was gone before I even knew it. Smell was like every other light beer. Nothing, really. The taste was completely lacking. Very watery and cola like. No body what so ever.

I don't mind the regular Miller High Life but the light is just not my cup of tea. Maybe next time?

2.49/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours to a sudsy white head and unbelievable (for a cheap ass beer) retention and lacing. Aroma is sweet corn adjunct and carbonated water. Mouthfeel is bubbly, watery. Flavor is a very light typical American light beer taste but with the added bonus of a bit of extra bittersweet bite. Finishes clean and slightly bittersweet. Not offensive, just very lacking in most aspects, except for appearance and drinkability, which were better than expected.

2.58/5  rDev +7.9%

Had never seen this before now..and seeing that I actually like HIgh Life..thought I would give it a go.
Comes ina 24 Oz Silver can.
Really not a bad looking brew for a macro..light golden with a largish bubbly head..that didnt last long..but surprisingly the lacing was present.
Smell mostly of corn syrup..but not offensive.
Taste is actually not too bad..malty ..and sweet..i thought i detected some hops at the end..but not sure.
Lightweight on the palate of course.
Actually not a bad Light lager..better than Sam Adams light and for 95 cents a 24 oz can its not too bad.

2.49/5  rDev +4.2%

Clear, pale yellow hue, no animation, thick white head, kind of rocky, quick to fade… wispy retention, thin, unorganized lace. The nose is uninviting… hollow and sweet, kind of foul… as the beer warmed a note of malt emerged. Tolerable palate, the malt is noticeable, sweet adjuncts… fair flavor profile for a light beer. Maybe a kiss of hops in the background. The carbonation is high but it doesn’t cover up the taste. Thin mouthfeel, kind of watery… “easy to drink” but not that enjoyable to quaff. Above average light beer… some flavor, innocuous for the most part.

I gave Miller High Life Light a try because I thought the regular version was pretty decent… stick with that one if you want a yellow fizzy beer.

2.08/5  rDev -13%

Miller, Miller on the wall,
Who's the lightest of them all?
Pale light gold with head the slimmest,
Far as can be from a Guinness.

Should the taste be rated hot?
Goodness gracious, I think not.
After all the hype and ads,
Don't go to this brew me lads.

Truly insignificant beer.

1.5/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Clearly on the shallow end of the beer gene pool....this beer serves no purpose other than the obvious: get someone drunk without any taste or flavor to slow the process down. I grabbed this one by mistake out of a cooler at a picnic....a sad day indeed.

The beer pours pale and light with very little head. The aroma is corn, sourness, and a slight sugary sweetness. The taste is watery with some corn sweetness and a slight hop bite. All in all this is about as low as I am willing to go anymore. There must be worse beers out there, but I hope I never run across them

1.53/5  rDev -36%

OKAY so its macro-swill, but its the low cal version of the best macro-swill available. High Life Light is thin and watery but actually sort of has a flavor. Well okay, so its isn't so much a flavor as it is a lack of bad taste. In fact its more like a lack of taste. F+ beer. I've had worse, much worse in fact but I'm not proud of it.

3.92/5  rDev +64%

What can I say, this beer gets a lot of bad reviews, but I was impressed. Kinda of a drinkable, cornish flavor. Went down smooth. Like I said, hints of corn all over it, almost too much, but besides that, a really decent beer. I would reccomend this beer to the people that are curious to try new beers, but to a veteran, this beer could be bad.

2.16/5  rDev -9.6%

Basically a more watered down and flavorless version of High Life, if that's possible. Pale yellow in appearance with a white head. Aroma consists of some malt and alcohol. Thin mouthfeel. Bland taste consists of grain, corn adjunct, a feint hop bitterness and light alcohol. High Life Light is somewhat similar to Miller Lite in flavor. Nothing special here.

2.6/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I tried this as i was on a beer diet and only would allow myself light beers. As i had been drinking High Life for sometime, i tried the light version. It's similar, but lacks the sweet flavor that many find attractive in the regular version. It's not too high in alcohol, as i didn't start feeling the "high life" with this one until i had nearly 6 under my belt. Nevertheless, it's an interesting brew, and worthy of a try.

2.15/5  rDev -10%

the champagne of water. this is closer to aquafina than beer, so i guess you know what i am gettin at. basically all the flavor of high life is drowned out. you can't really taste anything, so it goes down.

1.8/5  rDev -24.7%

Never see commercials for this for a good reason. I don't think anyone drinks it and it has a shelf life of 10+ years. Do an experiment. Make a mark on a bottle at your local beer store. Go back in a month, no 3 months. It will still be there. It is light colored and has no taste. Please Miller, just deep six it.

2.5/5  rDev +4.6%

Miller must feel like they have to have a light version of every single beer that they produce. This stuff is actually kind of difficult to find in my area, and when I do see it, it usually in packs of 12 or more. Anyway, onto the review:

MHL Light pours a clear, bright straw color. It leaves a decent foamy head that lasts until about halfway down the glass. The smell isn't very strong. Tiny bit of mustiness (seems like its in all Miller products) mixed with some sweet grain smell. It has a watery, sudsy mouthfeel. My first impression is that it is sweet and grainy, and the slight taste of ripe pear comes into mind for some reason. Elsewhere on the palette, its basically your watery light beer with a very weak grainy adjunct taste. The aftertaste isn't very strong; just a little bit of sweet grain and that peary taste. It finishes with a tiny bit of alcoholic warmth.

Well, they actually did a decent job of retaining most of the taste of Miller High Life. It does a better job there than MGD Light matching up with regular MGD. High Life Light is still a light beer, but its not awful.

Miller High Life Light from Miller Brewing Co.