Zima

Notes:
View: Beers
Reviews: 18 | Ratings: 63 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.41/5  rDev +82.2%

Beautiful crystal clear color with a fizzy white head on top that vanishes quickly. The smell has a sweet citrusy aroma to it reminiscent of 7-Up or Sprite. The taste has a very refreshing citrus flavor to it with a crisp sweet finish. The feel is more on the dry side with an acidic heat in the late finish. Overall, Zima is super nostalgic for me. It reminds me of being in middle school spending nights at a friends house and he would share some of his parents stash with me while we played ECW Wrestling on PS1 and chatted with girls on AIM all night till the sun came up. I wasn't aware at the time but if you get bored with the straight citrus flavor you can drop some Jolly Ranchers up in this and it's like a whole new experience all over again. Welcome back Zima!

1.67/5  rDev -31%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything. I'm not saying anything. I tried this once while on business in Iowa City. The bar owner I had come to know during my two weeks in town, and many trips to his establishment, offered me a six pack of this stuff, saying he couldn't sell much of it. I gladly accepted it then, took it back to my hotel and popped one open. Refer to the first two sentences of this review.

2.45/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Man I remember drinking these in English class in high school. Good times. Anyways, pours similar to a can of Sprite, 7up or crystal pepsi. Yeah, that's the appearance of this "beer". I dunno, I mean, there are originality points, but then there are drawback points as well in that regard. Maybe its a wash. Aroma was like, nothing. Seltzer water. Could have been some psychosomatic feels making me think I could smell that citrus.

Taste is like a very low alcohol seltzer water with sugar added. Not pulling any lemon or lime flavors out of it like most clear carbonated beverages. Mouth feel isn't anything that smacks of barley. Or hops. This is really straining credulity to assign it the label of beer. With that said, there is nothing horribly tasting about it, it just doesn't really come to mind as something you want to drink when you want a beer. It could have other roles in the drinking world, but doubtful it satiates anyone's desire for a beer (that is of age).

2.25/5  rDev -7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A timeless rerelease of a fairly bland citrus alcohol beverage. I found the alcohol content high enough to be helpful, but the taste rather like some kind of flat Sprite. Frankly, I’d rather order emphysema. That’s from “The Simpsons.” 2018/05/22

3.07/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Look: Clearish w/bubbles when shaken.
Smell: Yes. Unable to pinpoint, but, yes, there is smell.
Taste: Sweet alka-selzerish but, sweeter.
Feel: Soft, smooth, bitterless.
Overall: This one's fun to have a few of; to drop an altered flavored candy into and 1st taste the foam then remember that this is not beer. Never was and will never be.
Still, an interesting collection of tastes.

1.7/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.25

12oz bottle at my a bottle share as a gag. It's crystal clear and highly carbonated. Tastes and smells like alcoholic Sprite. The most interesting aspect was that several women refused to sample because it brought back bad memories of drinking during their youth.

2.19/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured from 12-ounce bottle into an Irish coffee mug. straight-up 7-Up in appearance: crystal clear, lots of carbonation, no head at all. Aromas and flavors of light citrus. Quite sweet, very light in body. This seems to me to be more of an alco-pop than a malt liquor, as the malt character is underwhelming to say the least. A novelty at best, and one not worth bringing back.

1.53/5  rDev -36.8%

A: You know the 90s...Pepsi Crystal. It must be healthier and more pure.

S: This is 'provocative' in the wrong sense of the word. Elderflower aroma is kind; I'm surprised a sip followed the quaff.

M: I looked like I had sucked on a lemon and just (s)wallowed.

T: Summed up by: "It's like if you poured Popov into a Smirnoff Ice and called it a mistake."-SB
Hey, At least I listened to Biggie while drinking this, so nostalgia counts for something overall.

2.84/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Look: Crystal clear and no head, like a lemon-lime soft drink.

Smell: Citrus with a very faint hint of malt somewhere in the background.

Taste: Same as the nose. Very mild citrus flavor, not too different from Fresca, with the tiniest hint of malt liquor somewhere.

Mouthfeel: Thin and carbonated, like soda.

Overall: This isn't really a beer. It's more like a soft drink to help teenagers get drunk.

2.5/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bought a 6-pack $8.99 Foodland
Clear color
Light mouthfeel
Medium carbonation
Sweet taste reminds me of those pixie stick candy
Overall it was good to drink again for nostalgia. I don't remember it being this sweet, but I was just starting to drink beer back then in the 90's so my tastes were different back then.

1.44/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I bought this for the nostalgia of it even though i was nowhere near old enough to drink when it came out but i remember the commercials being on constantly. I wasn't expecting anything but this stuff is like the steele reserve of wine cooler type of products.

2.47/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had no idea that this one was still in production. Tried it once about 20 years ago, wished then that I had spent the money on real beer rather than this faddish brew.

2.68/5  rDev +10.7%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a nonic pint glass

This beverage pours clear and bubbly. It looks like 7UP. It has no head with no lacing.

It has a sweet citrus aroma.

The taste is candy sweet with artificially sweetened citrus flavors.

It has the consistency of pop.

It was good for a reminisce.

2.7/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours as clear a product as I have ever seen that is not a Smirnoff Ice product. Obviously no head present - it's not that kind of alcohol. Smells of citrus - not citrus hop, just citrus. Tastes very nondescript; almost like a lemon water crossed with alcohol. Doesn't taste bad, by any means, just has a very soda-like body with a sugary taste to it. Not bad for a throwback, but you can see why it didn't stick around.

3.54/5  rDev +46.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

When these came back available again, I figured I should buy a 6-pack just to try.

Look is very unique-- clear with some fiz. Smell is very similar to a wine cooler overall. Mouthful is just as unique as all the features of this drink-- the best way to describe it is to say it is similar to crossing Sprite soda with White Zinfadel wine. Mouthful is full, and sweet for sure. Finish is clean, refreshing, but leaves a sugary aftertaste.

2.87/5  rDev +18.6%

OMFG! Zima has made a return! I was a young sailor aboard a pier-bound ship in the early-to-mid 1980s & once liberty call went down, we would eat chow & head to a local park to toss Frisbees, footballs, baseballs & each other around. On the way there, we would load up on cases of Michelob & a bottle (or two) of Jacquin's Blackberry Brandy (BBB). One evening, Voss-man suggests that we try Zima as something different. It was okay & it led to trying Bartles & Jaymes coolers, also, but nothing really replaced the ol' tried & true.

From the bottle: "Refreshing Citrus Beverage".

I hear the refrain from The Talking Heads' "Once In a Lifetime": same as it ever was. Same screwed-up, screw-off cap that screws me up tight every time. An aggro pour to vent my anger & frustration did nothing to help. It created a fizzy, foamy finger of bone-white head that quickly dissipated into wisps. Color was crystal clear (SRM = N/A). Peering into it, I was transported back to my stint at "A" school in Meridian, MS towards the end of 1985. I saw all of my old classmates, some of whom I had dalliances with, as we hung out in the base EM Club. Nose had a lemon-lime quality, very evocative of Sprite or 7-Up. Mouthfeel was thin and watery. The taste was a little more tangy than simply lemon-lime, making it more refreshing than drinking pop, but not by a large margin. I could see why we went to something like this at that point in time. It definitely breaks up the monotony, but to what end? I just purchased some Henry's Hard Seltzer today & had such a thing been available back then, we might have gone to that, instead. Finish was semi-dry, slightly tart & refreshing, but it just was not sustaining.

1.89/5  rDev -21.9%

Oh, if you're my age, you know the appearance. It's *just a few degrees cooler*, with that crystal clear malt, and a fizzy soda-like appeal. But, seriously though, how do you rate something that looks like this? It came out around a time where it seemed to be intentionally competing to be the adult version of that gnarly and the tubular Crystal Pepsi.

Zima smells like Sprite with berries, and some orange candy. Sticky-sweet.

Taste is really kewl, and crazy sweet. Extremely carbonated fizz propels the flavor of raspberry candy up the roof of the mouth through the nose. A mix of artificial corn syrup flavorings of cherry and strawberry also jump into the pool--and this was before we added the strawberry Jolly Rancher!

Finish is wet and sticky and it keeps on sticking. Otherwise it's effervescent, and cloyingly weird.

1.68/5  rDev -30.6%

Tried this back in 1992 and it was horrible.. Now in 2017, the same result. Same clear bottle and lable but says "Limited Release". LOL! For you Millennials, you might love it! (wink)

Zima from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 61 out of 100 with 63 ratings