Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Miller Lite | Miller Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999

Reviews: 1,157 | Ratings: 4,374
Reviews by Outchillen:
2.83/5  rDev +24.1%

Im using almost the same reviews for American style light lagers

not gonna bother with serving type,
Im not the type to bash beers, for a company so successful, they can be given at least a respectable unbiased review, true beer drinkers are quick to bash american light lagers, but some are good for certain times, i cant sit at a game and throw back IPAs, or bourbon aged beers, but a light lager with a hot dog and peanuts on a hot day isnt so bad. Im a big beer pong fan, wont play with a $20 bottle of brooklyn black ops, now a review

Very pale yellow, white foamy head that can fade quick, light body mostly cause of using sugar and rice to keep the ABV up, the only way i can descibe the aroma is "beer" hops are faint just to make it enough to call it beer, Miller is among the best for this style of beer, its my "go to" when i go somewhere and dont wanna ask or think of a beer to drink, my dart game beer

4.1/5  rDev +79.8%

Many people seem to be missing the point about this beer: It is a fine pilsner, not a light lager; and that is a huge difference. Not to be a beer snob, but when you finally begin to think of yourself as a beer connoisseur, then you tend to go from one end of the scale to the other, from darks to lights, from reds to ambers, hops to smooth. The thing with a pilsner, is that they are very scarce; and once you start loving them, it becomes like a treasure hunt to find them. Miller Lite is such a treasure. It gets a bad rap, or no rap really, because it has been there since the beginning of all the "new beer" nonsense of the '80s and 90's like dry beer, light beer, ultra light beer, ice beer, bottled draft, cold-filtered, and so on. And so, having been left out of the circus, it has come full circle as a true American Pilsner, made from real bohemian pilsner malt, not lager malt. Taste the difference. First of all, a good pilsner can pull off a buzz without bloat at only 4% abv, whereas, you cannot even start a light lager lower than 4.7, and then you will be pushing the bloat envelope. Really, take another look at this beer.

2.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: 24oz large can (No. 13) slapped with lots of witty marketing jive, and a wide mouth opening. No freshness date.

Appearance: Very pale yellow in colour with a fine wispy head of carbonation.

Smell: Clean, semi-floral to the nose with hints of grain.

Taste: Light graininess, with hints of grain husk and sweetness. The tight carbonation mingles with a slight steely flavour, to produce some sharpness and mouth appeal. The hops come across lemony, with the slightest of tea-like characteristics. As the brew warms, notes of dimethyl sulfide (cooked corn) become noticeable. Finishes mostly clean with a metallic residual flavour in the back of the mouth and tongue.

Notes: As far as lite beers go, it's not horrible, but it is still a lite beer ... why bother drinking this on a normal basis?

2.36/5  rDev +3.5%

This the usual light brewski, same as the rest ... one of the better light beers out there for sure if you are a stickiler to styles. Light bodied, thin lace and minimal head retention. Lots of corn in the aroma and flavor, finishes pretty damn dry. More or less a sad excuse for beer.

3.09/5  rDev +35.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I feel like a fool for never reviewing this, as I have had 10,456 of them. If I give it a bad review, it will make me look like a masochist. One of things I like about this beer is that I can buy a 30 pack at Costco for 45 cents. Once I get them home I find them to be either a nice way to start the night (as they don't count as a drink) or a great way to end the night (don't waste a good drink if you can't stand up). This beer is liquid and not poisonous which gives it good points. It has little taste and makes me pee a lot which is bad. Overall I will likely buy 500 more of them this year, so I give it a thumbs up

3.88/5  rDev +70.2%

Not a big fan of light beers, but this one might be the best light beer on the market. I always get a more crisp refreshing finish out of this beer. I hate the dry finish of Bud Light and the watery taste i get from a Coors light. Miller Lite is a good session or lawnmower beer.

Funky, salty, and altogether lifeless. This is not a pleasant beer, or even palatable for that matter. Even as the style goes, this is one of the worst options out there in my opinion.

Would Drink Again: No
Would Purchase Again: No

2.29/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer was poured from the bottle (new white vintage throwback label) at the Andiamo banquet hall in Warren, Michigan into a generic stange. It showed a shimmering bright yellow coloring and produced a stark white head of quickly thinning foam. This stood a finger and a half tall at its conception, but quickly faded into a film across the top of the liquid. Lacing was globular and sparse. No haze or sediment was noted, and carbonation appeared to be highly active. The aroma was simple and straightforward, offering biscuity pale and harsh adjuncty grain, dried wheat and straw, unsalted table crackers, basic lager yeast metallics, glass, stamp adhesive, burlap and gauze, skunky and old grassy hop airs, dried twigs and leafs, and heaps upon heaps of cheap and generic cereal grain grit and toast. The flavoring, too, followed suit as expected. Notes of bland adjuncty and Pilsner grain, toasted almonds, white printer paper, cleaner wheaty maltiness, dust, harsh yeasty metallics, foil, lemon rind, sweat, burlap, light green grassy hops, pound cake sweetness, straw, and dried mushrooms flood the palate. The body is light and washes the flavoring out, and carbonation is high, bubbling actively on the palate. Each sip gives lightly appropriate slurp, smack, cream, froth, and crisp finishing pop. The foam around the mouth was robust, leaving the palate prickled, dried, and somewhat puckered. The abv was appropriate, and the beer drank like water.

Overall, what really is there to discuss about this beer?! It is simple. It is light. It is intently mild in flavoring. Obviously a popular beer for the masses, we've had this one countless times before. The occasion for rating came at a friend's wedding, and it was used mainly as a palate cleanser between much more satisfying nips of delicious bourbon.

4.24/5  rDev +86%

(four 8 oz cans, poured in succession, keeping my Chouffe tulip near full - review #1000)

L: crystal-clear liquid of a sunny golden-yellow hue... poured with about an inch of loose, white foam, which for some reason doesn't immediately disappear... somehow, a thin collar of suds remains... no lace of note - it seems like it wants to stick, but you can actually see it retract from the glass

S: wet stainless steel, lightly-toasted cereal grain - mildly cereal-like similar to one of the Chex brands... tiny hint of green grass on the edges... arguably has an overtone of what I can only describe as the damp floor and general interior of a large warehouse or factory... not picking up the triple hops... altogether, not powerful or inviting, but more definition than expected

T: one should be able to tell during its light-moderate watery finish that it's missing some meat, but the malt that's there is at a surprising level... bit of a subtle almost artificial sweetishness (Splenda?) that lingers that seems to balance the grassy/dirty-penny... the blend of malt/corn may be sort of awash in or cut with mineral water, but there is some flavor to be had here once unfrozen

F: surprising degree of body to it (when warmer), but still rather light and disappearing on the palate... maybe I need to eat, but I'm getting a subtle glow of warmth in the back of the palate... the carbonation comes across very quiet and a bit fluffy-foamy... I gotta say, perhaps it's a fortunate choice of glass, but I cannot see what they could do to improve the textures of this beer - I'm still floored that it's anything but thin and fizzy

O: I got myself into trouble on a few occasions as a teenager drinking this crap: 1) this was the featured beer among a menu mostly consisting of random old man's liquors when I nearly gave myself alcohol poisoning raiding a friend's dad's bar when I was 15 (slept 14 hours that evening, missed the next day of school - shame shame), 2) powered down 10 beer bongs of this in an hour once - the one and only time I can recall having a feeling coming close to being on psychedelics by way of drinking (age: about 16), 3) was arrested after having shared a case of cans with the aforementioned friend in the car while driving down south for spring break - we almost got there without incident, and managed to only have one unopened can left - stuff to be proud of... anyway, first, this might be the first time I've ever had this in a glass - traditionally, I've only swilled this from a can... surprised how relatively tasty this actually is when poured out into a glass - I cannot say the same about most other adjunct lagers... and this just further supports my feeling that of the classic big 3, Miller's beers I seem to loathe least... a sentimental classic

2.23/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to my brother for graciously sharing this gem with me over Memorial Day weekend. Its been such a long time since ive tried any of this swill that it felt good to take a step back, reset the palate and just appreciate the glory of craft beer which I have been spoiled with all these years. My review may be biased because I was in a good mood while my team was crushing the opponent during a fierce bout of backyard horseshoes.

Decanted from a half barrel into a oversized clear plastic picture and then again finally into my red solo cup. The brew is a pristine piss yellow with a sudsy white froth that lasts atop. The smell is slightly corn-like and nothing else. The taste has mild sweetness, corn again, mild sulfur/carbonics and water. The feel is light, super cold (which I hear is indicadive of the style) and moderately carbonated from the double decanting. If I was forced to drink macro crap, I could tolerate this but im not drinking it if there are other choices available...like water.

2.24/5  rDev -1.8%

very pale..a tinge of golden color, quick head...bubbles galore

smell is half appetizing malt half corn chip half frathouse

to be honest the front tastes just fine.. slim and malty without enough flavor but not bad... afterwards there is metallic, corny, husky and a mild teabag finish

goes down like tanya gibbons in the 7th grade... easily but a little rough around the edges... a little dry and bubbly

the term pissypants comes to mind.. and ooo i can feel my waist slimming as i sip!

if you could press it into a crunchy triangle shape this would make an amazing accompaniment to some chunky salsa, melted nacho cheese and homemade guacamole

This is just an awful beer. I have drank a lot of this beer over time, but only for tailgates and parties. It is by far the worst of the major light lagers in my opinion.

3.01/5  rDev +32%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I'm rating this because I give it more credit than Bud Light or Coors Light. While the three major domestics are very similar in their watered down, highly carbonated, ho-hum ways, Miller Lite does have a slightly different taste that stands out in a slightly better way than the other two. I can't give it the usual ratings like other beers. I just know it's a pilsner, it's a fantastic session beer in that I can drink a six or twelve pack in about an hour or two, and it's got a little bit more malty/grainy flavor to it that Bud or Coors. I'm also a consumer that is a sucker for all things vintage, and unlike its counterparts, they have wisely stuck with the retro label for the last couple years and it's probably why I am buying this beer a little more often than not. Nothing fancy--just a truly cheap, drinkable American beverage. A fine pilsner beer...indeed.

2.6/5  rDev +14%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

As average as they come but still the best of the three major American lights (Coors, Bud, Miller)

4.59/5  rDev +101.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I thought Miller Lite was actually a very good beer the first time I tried it in a small bar in Menominee, Michigan.It was served in a standard 12 ounce beer glass. I really liked the taste of the beer. I was able to notice the flavor of the hops within the Lite beer. The mouthfeel and texture were very smooth. I will have this beer again in the future.

1.75/5  rDev -23.2%

2.39/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance – This one is just right for the style. It is light yellow in color and clear with some good carbonation. The head is big and white as the driven snow.

Smell – The nasty grain is thankfully faint, yet still can’t be ignored. I can actually smell some alcohol in this 4% ABV beer somehow.

Taste – This tastes like grain-flavored soda pop. There’s a pukish sweetness at the end that does indeed remind me of that sickening semi-sweet taste you get in your mouth after throwing up.

Mouthfeel – Light bodied of course and well-carbonated.

Drinkability – I got this out of the “guest tap” at the Flying Pig in Everett and couldn’t even finish the four ounce taster that they mistakenly brought me.

2.5/5  rDev +9.6%

3.61/5  rDev +58.3%

Less of a beer and more of a way of life/business mandate for me. My occupation demands that I drink this often and in mass. When I’m out with work people (even at a good beer bar) I frequently have to stick to ML or perhaps High Life in order to keep up. Work sometimes dictates that I drink more than 10 beers in a night and I can down 10 MLs and still be sober. Try that with any craft and you’re toast. I don’t usually mind it too much, ML in the bottle makes for a decent session. If it’s ice cold and in a can it’s reminiscent of a camping or fishing trip for me. Either way it’s ok. On tap is a different story. ML on tap is just piss and indigestion in a glass. Forget about it even when it’s free. ML looks like corn colored piss. It tastes like water and pilsner malt when ice cold and corn syrup when cold to warm. It smells the same as it tastes. It doesn’t give much of a buzz. It IS LESS FILLING! It’s way better than bud light, that’s for damned sure. Since we are supposed to review “within the style” here on BA, I’ve gotta give this beer props. It’s about the best you can do in this pathetic style.

1.58/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.25

The best way to tackle a Miller Lite is to put it in the freezer until it's just about to freeze (don't actually let it freeze, though - nobody likes ice crystals in their beer). When it's a few degrees above freezing point, take it out of the freezer and try to drink it as fast as you can. Don't worry about brain freeze - the stinging in your head will only aid in distraction from the pain being unleashed upon your palate.

In all seriousness, it's hard to accurately rate something that's really this awful. It's a realm that's so far away from what we know as "beer" - and NOT in a good way (like as in Sam Adam's Utopias). Miller Lite is to beer what the Chicago Cubs are to baseball. Sure, there are people who pretend to like it, but most people don't actually enjoy it. And smarter people have move on to bigger and better things.

Miller Lite looks like a somewhat hydrated man's piss with even less foam. Smells like grains, metal, corn, and musk. Tastes like grains, metal, corn, musk. Unless you drink it ice cold - then it doesn't really taste like much at all (and that's the best thing you can hope for). Don't let this baby get too warm, or it'll be a long night. Mouth feel is like seltzer water and the drinkability is on par with lemonade.

I hate bashing for the sake of bashing, but there is really no reason to ever buy this beer.

1.25/5  rDev -45.2%

2.5/5  rDev +9.6%

1.26/5  rDev -44.7%

Look, we all know what this tastes like and even if we don't we can easily find out for like a dollar. So why would I bother to review it? Because damnit, I had to drink it so I might as well complain about it.

With so many family gatherings and friendly get-togethers taking place this holiday season, its inevitable that someone will eventually offer you this beer, or one of its ilk. So why not simply refuse? Maybe you don't want to appear the teetotaler in front of a bunch of party animals. Maybe someone's idea of how hospitable they are being is directly related to how much you injest while in their home, and you don't want to offend. Maybe you are surrounded by folks you see once a year and you just want something to make this situation bareable and give you something to do with your figety hands.

Whatever the reason, we give in. We take it. What we find inside that can is watery. It looks like pee, has wierd vegetabale smells, and stings the mouth with its soda-ish carbonation. However, perhaps not unlike the company we find ourselves surrounded by this time of year, we endure it for the sake of togetherness. We are reminded that giving is truly about sacrifice, and that can maybe make us feel a little warmer in the gut. While this feeling is nice in its own way, once a year is, decidedly, enough.

Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.