Miller Lite | Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

View: Beers
Ratings: 4,677 |  Reviews: 1,227
Reviews by Treath:
4.55/5  rDev +107.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a football textured 24oz can into a glass mug. First time tasting it.

A- A nice clear yellow color. Lots of bubbles streaming up. A finger of head that dissipates into a thin frothy ring. Leaves a good amount of lacing.

S- Very faint corn smell. Maybe a tiny hops. Water. Not offensive

T- Fresh clean watery taste. Water, Corn, Hops, slight metallic taste. Not much malts. Not offensive. A nice light grassy aftertaste.

M- Highly carbonated. Crisp. The bubbles tickle the mouth. Refreshing.

Drinkability- Very smooth and goes down easy. Awesome drinkability.

O- Overall, I think this is an awesomely refreshing light beer for a hot day.
It really quenches the thirst without any bad off tastes. Way better than most other light beers.

4.1/5  rDev +87.2%

Many people seem to be missing the point about this beer: It is a fine pilsner, not a light lager; and that is a huge difference. Not to be a beer snob, but when you finally begin to think of yourself as a beer connoisseur, then you tend to go from one end of the scale to the other, from darks to lights, from reds to ambers, hops to smooth. The thing with a pilsner, is that they are very scarce; and once you start loving them, it becomes like a treasure hunt to find them. Miller Lite is such a treasure. It gets a bad rap, or no rap really, because it has been there since the beginning of all the "new beer" nonsense of the '80s and 90's like dry beer, light beer, ultra light beer, ice beer, bottled draft, cold-filtered, and so on. And so, having been left out of the circus, it has come full circle as a true American Pilsner, made from real bohemian pilsner malt, not lager malt. Taste the difference. First of all, a good pilsner can pull off a buzz without bloat at only 4% abv, whereas, you cannot even start a light lager lower than 4.7, and then you will be pushing the bloat envelope. Really, take another look at this beer.

3.43/5  rDev +56.6%

Let's be real. Miller lite is in no way comparable to the craft goodness we all know and love. But you have a 12-pack of this in your fridge between the bell's, deschutes, and lagunitas. Why? Sometimes you just want a BEER. no frills, no craft BS, blue-blooded american BEER.

You go to a party, OK? you know, a get-together that's too big to serve the good stuff but too small to have a bartender or keg. You reach into the fridge/ice bucket and you see the beautiful white can with big old letters that say LITE. And you grab one. Hell, you grab two because you can't guarantee you'll get another one before someone else gets the same idea. And you can't drink a (....shudder...) bud lite. You're a man. You're above that. So you crack open the ice-cold pils and you freaking enjoy it. It's as good as your haughty-taughty double ipa you had before coming to the shindig.

5/5

3.09/5  rDev +41.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I feel like a fool for never reviewing this, as I have had 10,456 of them. If I give it a bad review, it will make me look like a masochist. One of things I like about this beer is that I can buy a 30 pack at Costco for 45 cents. Once I get them home I find them to be either a nice way to start the night (as they don't count as a drink) or a great way to end the night (don't waste a good drink if you can't stand up). This beer is liquid and not poisonous which gives it good points. It has little taste and makes me pee a lot which is bad. Overall I will likely buy 500 more of them this year, so I give it a thumbs up

Are you joking with some of these reviews?
A lot of you need to stop trying so hard.

L: Pours a golden yellow hue with a two finger satin white head.
S: Corn, a little bit of biscuity malt with a subtle floral undertone. Diacetyl is detectable, but I won't lose sleep over it.
T: Excellent. Biscuity, bready, floral and creamy with notes of roasted corn. No offputting metallic or green apple flavors. Thirst quenching and crushable. Perfect for the style.
F: Creamy but crisp. Effervescent. Body is, again, perfect for the style.
O: Infinitely better if you can get it fresh, and in a can. I will admit, bottles tend to get skunked, although this is only the case if you buy a single 22oz instead of a rack of bottles that come in packaging to keep the light out.

Snobbery aside, this is one of the best light beers on the market.

2.55/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: 24oz large can (No. 13) slapped with lots of witty marketing jive, and a wide mouth opening. No freshness date.

Appearance: Very pale yellow in colour with a fine wispy head of carbonation.

Smell: Clean, semi-floral to the nose with hints of grain.

Taste: Light graininess, with hints of grain husk and sweetness. The tight carbonation mingles with a slight steely flavour, to produce some sharpness and mouth appeal. The hops come across lemony, with the slightest of tea-like characteristics. As the brew warms, notes of dimethyl sulfide (cooked corn) become noticeable. Finishes mostly clean with a metallic residual flavour in the back of the mouth and tongue.

Notes: As far as lite beers go, it's not horrible, but it is still a lite beer ... why bother drinking this on a normal basis?

3.88/5  rDev +77.2%

Not a big fan of light beers, but this one might be the best light beer on the market. I always get a more crisp refreshing finish out of this beer. I hate the dry finish of Bud Light and the watery taste i get from a Coors light. Miller Lite is a good session or lawnmower beer.

4.24/5  rDev +93.6%

(four 8 oz cans, poured in succession, keeping my Chouffe tulip near full - review #1000)

L: crystal-clear liquid of a sunny golden-yellow hue... poured with about an inch of loose, white foam, which for some reason doesn't immediately disappear... somehow, a thin collar of suds remains... no lace of note - it seems like it wants to stick, but you can actually see it retract from the glass

S: wet stainless steel, lightly-toasted cereal grain - mildly cereal-like similar to one of the Chex brands... tiny hint of green grass on the edges... arguably has an overtone of what I can only describe as the damp floor and general interior of a large warehouse or factory... not picking up the triple hops... altogether, not powerful or inviting, but more definition than expected

T: one should be able to tell during its light-moderate watery finish that it's missing some meat, but the malt that's there is at a surprising level... bit of a subtle almost artificial sweetishness (Splenda?) that lingers that seems to balance the grassy/dirty-penny... the blend of malt/corn may be sort of awash in or cut with mineral water, but there is some flavor to be had here once unfrozen

F: surprising degree of body to it (when warmer), but still rather light and disappearing on the palate... maybe I need to eat, but I'm getting a subtle glow of warmth in the back of the palate... the carbonation comes across very quiet and a bit fluffy-foamy... I gotta say, perhaps it's a fortunate choice of glass, but I cannot see what they could do to improve the textures of this beer - I'm still floored that it's anything but thin and fizzy

O: I got myself into trouble on a few occasions as a teenager drinking this crap: 1) this was the featured beer among a menu mostly consisting of random old man's liquors when I nearly gave myself alcohol poisoning raiding a friend's dad's bar when I was 15 (slept 14 hours that evening, missed the next day of school - shame shame), 2) powered down 10 beer bongs of this in an hour once - the one and only time I can recall having a feeling coming close to being on psychedelics by way of drinking (age: about 16), 3) was arrested after having shared a case of cans with the aforementioned friend in the car while driving down south for spring break - we almost got there without incident, and managed to only have one unopened can left - stuff to be proud of... anyway, first, this might be the first time I've ever had this in a glass - traditionally, I've only swilled this from a can... surprised how relatively tasty this actually is when poured out into a glass - I cannot say the same about most other adjunct lagers... and this just further supports my feeling that of the classic big 3, Miller's beers I seem to loathe least... a sentimental classic

3.61/5  rDev +64.8%

Less of a beer and more of a way of life/business mandate for me. My occupation demands that I drink this often and in mass. When I’m out with work people (even at a good beer bar) I frequently have to stick to ML or perhaps High Life in order to keep up. Work sometimes dictates that I drink more than 10 beers in a night and I can down 10 MLs and still be sober. Try that with any craft and you’re toast. I don’t usually mind it too much, ML in the bottle makes for a decent session. If it’s ice cold and in a can it’s reminiscent of a camping or fishing trip for me. Either way it’s ok. On tap is a different story. ML on tap is just piss and indigestion in a glass. Forget about it even when it’s free. ML looks like corn colored piss. It tastes like water and pilsner malt when ice cold and corn syrup when cold to warm. It smells the same as it tastes. It doesn’t give much of a buzz. It IS LESS FILLING! It’s way better than bud light, that’s for damned sure. Since we are supposed to review “within the style” here on BA, I’ve gotta give this beer props. It’s about the best you can do in this pathetic style.

2.36/5  rDev +7.8%

This the usual light brewski, same as the rest ... one of the better light beers out there for sure if you are a stickiler to styles. Light bodied, thin lace and minimal head retention. Lots of corn in the aroma and flavor, finishes pretty damn dry. More or less a sad excuse for beer.

3.65/5  rDev +66.7%

I am furious to read all of the terrible ratings for this beer... Miller lite, as a very seasoned craft brew drinker, is an OUTSTANDING light beer. All of the American popular go-to session beers are shitty lagers (yuengling is a decent exception) and Miller Lite is a Pilsner that is in the same ballpark, but is tremendously better. Honestly, Miller lite is one of those beers that if I literally had to choose one single beer that I could only drink the rest of my life, I may choose it (although, a % or 2 higher abv would make it an immediate choice). I think Miller is complex and perfected considering its position in beer. It’s not amazing to anyone really, other than the fact that it’s so refreshing and delicious to someone who loves a standard, regular beer flavor, and it’s so light you could drink them all day. It’s so crisp and delicious in the context wherein it lies. People need to stop rating it for shit because it’s a “lazy brew from a corporate conglomerate”. Well, that’s not untrue necessarily, but that fact does not make this beer bad or anything less than what it should be to veteran beer enthusiasts. It is beyond expectation for what it is and what it’s intended for as far as drinking goes. This beer is a beautiful pioneer of the beer culture in America. Bud light sucks bud heavy sucks, Budweiser overall just kinda sucks... coors is ok, Miller is incredible in comparison... even against yuengling which I also quite like. Surprisingly, I never buy cheap or light beer besides cervezas and Miller. I am a craft brew connoisseur. I love my IPAs, stouts, porters, Sours. Pale ales, literally every category, yet Miller is still a great standard for light beer and always a go to I can drink at anytime. Please stop rating this brew out of context and bashing it. The condescending shit review that’s at the top of this page was really getting to me, because Miller lite is a beautiful beer for what it is. And I love high life almost equally and it’s soooooo cheap.

2.95/5  rDev +34.7%

From the can, it tastes much like the bottle. Typical of American Pilsners, the brew is flavored with adjunct grains, but that's what makes it taste better than weaker lagers. Still quite malty sweet for the style with a rice or corn flavor and texture. Lightly vegetal. Hopped for earthiness and a bitter balance. The can seemed to give up a light metalic flavor that I found distracting. Though not very good, this is my usual 'ball-game' beer.

2.24/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

In the world of light beers, this is one of the more drinkable ones. The flavor is slightly more complex with malts, corn, a sweetness that I can not identify and some grassy notes. Light bodied, light mouth feel, finishes moderately dry, moderate carbonation.

2.5/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

16oz glass - out for a mainstream hot wings experience in Idaho Falls, and the 'craft beer' menu on the patio sure seems anything but - and hardly helped by the weirdly undereducated nature of the service staff.

This beer appears a clear, very pale golden straw colour, with a thin cap of weakly bubbly and anemic dirty white head, which leaves some sparsely streaked lace around the glass as things slowly get glugged away.

It smells faintly of sweet, almost sugary rice and corn husks, hard water, and a bit of thankfully dull acetone pithiness. The taste is more thin, sweet husky rice, corn grits, oily, sadly non-warming alcohol, and a suggestion of musty, earthy and skunky hops. Plain is as plain does, unfortunately.

The carbonation is moderate in its probing and zingy frothiness, the body a veritable lightweight, thin and watery, yet with the smoothness bang-on for yer typical marketing committee wank-fest. It finishes clean, and mostly flavour-free, a hollow airiness washing away any (albeit mild) remnant of what I just (barely) voluntarily swallowed.

Not bad, but not good, as it's pretty much spot-on for the so-called style, and an acceptable enough accompaniment (kind of a replacement for the mid-point of milk and water) to the strangely attractive boneless hot wings special, here in one version of 'mehrca.

3.28/5  rDev +49.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a fairly deep gold compared to most light beers. White head vanishes. The aroma is limited and gives an odd malt note - maybe there are some hops twisted in here. Not offensive, but not really inviting. Of course, the Lite beer drinker isn't looking for aroma. The body is thin - basically a requirement to obtain a lower caloric count through complete fermentation. Always a problematic beer for bartenders because there's no body to hold the carbonation in, thus quite a bit of foaming. The carbonation doesn't help to give any mouthfeel, leaving it "watery" (no joking). The flavor is extremely light with just a swirl of malt and no hop. There's no real finish, just a light coating in the mouth. I'm not sure about "tastes great", but it's definitely "less filling". Very drinkable because each mouthfull leaves you empty. There are no flaws to it. A POUNDABLE beer if that's what you're interested in. Also probably very refreshing when lost at sea.

2.9/5  rDev +32.4%

Taste is clean, can't really object to it, some depth of color compared to other ultra light beers. It should be cheaper its weird that high life is somewhat thick but is cheaper

Funky, salty, and altogether lifeless. This is not a pleasant beer, or even palatable for that matter. Even as the style goes, this is one of the worst options out there in my opinion.

Would Drink Again: No
Would Purchase Again: No

3.5/5  rDev +59.8%

This is easily the best light beer of the macros and one of my all timers from my youth. I have moved on but I go back to it now and then. The taste of my 20's.

3.41/5  rDev +55.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Drank from a 12 ounce glass bottle. Scoring is based on other macro lagers.

Look - The plain brown bottle is adorned with two white labels - a thin one high up on the neck with "Miller" and some other words, and the main label that clearly shows this as a "Lite" beer that is also "a fine pilsner beer." This was the beer of my parents, so I've seen this label and its previous iterations all throughout my life, and I've never come to enjoy it that much.

Smell - A very sweet artificial corn syrup scent hits you right away, but stick around long enough and it mellows out with some actual grain characters and a slight bit of grassy hops. Almost smells like a real pilsner. Almost.

Taste - Sweet and corny as you'd expect from the initial smell. Real one note, but nowhere near the levels of poorness some people say it has. I was shocked, and actually really preferred the taste of this to High Life.

Feel - Thin body and very mild carbonation. Super easy to drink, doesn't fight back going down. Straight out of the cold fridge, it was incredibly refreshing to drink just sitting around outside on a warm summer night.

Overall - This was my first time drinking a light beer, and with all the slander surrounding the style, I was surprised to find it as enjoyable as I did. A quality macro brew.

2.6/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My go to macro lager. Good substitute for water while mowing the grass, or settling in after a few stiff IPAs. Will not win many awards, but I prefer its taste to most readily available domestic lagers.

2.78/5  rDev +26.9%

So I am in Ruston, Louisiana and wanted to have a beer in the hotel and the gas station across the street had limited options. I never drank a lot of this, although it was always around.

Yes, it is corny and bland, but it is not offensive and quite easy to drink. I can see why unimaginative people flock to ths. It would require a ton of them to get a solid buzz, but would not require much work.

3.71/5  rDev +69.4%

I know im of the minority on this brew but i truly enjoy it. Yeah its light and has hardly any flavor but what it has is great and you can literally find it anywhere. This is my lawnmower beer of choice.

2.29/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer was poured from the bottle (new white vintage throwback label) at the Andiamo banquet hall in Warren, Michigan into a generic stange. It showed a shimmering bright yellow coloring and produced a stark white head of quickly thinning foam. This stood a finger and a half tall at its conception, but quickly faded into a film across the top of the liquid. Lacing was globular and sparse. No haze or sediment was noted, and carbonation appeared to be highly active. The aroma was simple and straightforward, offering biscuity pale and harsh adjuncty grain, dried wheat and straw, unsalted table crackers, basic lager yeast metallics, glass, stamp adhesive, burlap and gauze, skunky and old grassy hop airs, dried twigs and leafs, and heaps upon heaps of cheap and generic cereal grain grit and toast. The flavoring, too, followed suit as expected. Notes of bland adjuncty and Pilsner grain, toasted almonds, white printer paper, cleaner wheaty maltiness, dust, harsh yeasty metallics, foil, lemon rind, sweat, burlap, light green grassy hops, pound cake sweetness, straw, and dried mushrooms flood the palate. The body is light and washes the flavoring out, and carbonation is high, bubbling actively on the palate. Each sip gives lightly appropriate slurp, smack, cream, froth, and crisp finishing pop. The foam around the mouth was robust, leaving the palate prickled, dried, and somewhat puckered. The abv was appropriate, and the beer drank like water.

Overall, what really is there to discuss about this beer?! It is simple. It is light. It is intently mild in flavoring. Obviously a popular beer for the masses, we've had this one countless times before. The occasion for rating came at a friend's wedding, and it was used mainly as a palate cleanser between much more satisfying nips of delicious bourbon.

2.23/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to my brother for graciously sharing this gem with me over Memorial Day weekend. Its been such a long time since ive tried any of this swill that it felt good to take a step back, reset the palate and just appreciate the glory of craft beer which I have been spoiled with all these years. My review may be biased because I was in a good mood while my team was crushing the opponent during a fierce bout of backyard horseshoes.

Decanted from a half barrel into a oversized clear plastic picture and then again finally into my red solo cup. The brew is a pristine piss yellow with a sudsy white froth that lasts atop. The smell is slightly corn-like and nothing else. The taste has mild sweetness, corn again, mild sulfur/carbonics and water. The feel is light, super cold (which I hear is indicadive of the style) and moderately carbonated from the double decanting. If I was forced to drink macro crap, I could tolerate this but im not drinking it if there are other choices available...like water.

3.73/5  rDev +70.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

16 oz. can poured into tall mug
(best by Nov. 6, 2017 printed on bottom of can)

L: dark yellow-gold, crystal clear, big head of foam about an inch tall and slightly sticky; loads and loads of activity keep a full skin and super thick collar of white foam; slight lacing; beautiful brew

S: that AAL house paint thing ... grain, sour grain ... very weak aroma, so not much offensive but also not much to enjoy

T: corn, corn tortilla chip, loads and loads of grain, pinch of medicinality but also a pinch of earthy/black peppery hops ... it's just a pinch, but it's there and adding something;

F: light, almost watery but loads of carbonation fill it out and make it a model of drinkability

O: easily the best light American adjunct lager I've had, though the style is one I steer clear of over 99% of the time; this beer is good enough that I wouldn't hesitate to go with it when all other choices are terrible, and frankly, I probably will use it as a "drinker" to fill out my fridge when the fridge is running low ... it compares nicely to my favorite AALs, and I enjoy AALs, so me and Miller Lite will be meeting often

Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 2.19 out of 5 with 4,677 ratings