Miller Lite | Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

Alströms:

Ratings: 4,556 |  Reviews: 1,204
Reviews by grynder33:
1.91/5  rDev -12.4%

Probaly the darkest color light beers amongst the macros, could literally not distinguish a molecule of arom. It seemed highly charged with carbonation. There actually was some substance to the taste, detected a corn malt sweetness and just a hint of hop aftertaste. Besides Sam Adams, its probaly the fullest and tastiest of the lights, but so what.

4.1/5  rDev +88.1%

Many people seem to be missing the point about this beer: It is a fine pilsner, not a light lager; and that is a huge difference. Not to be a beer snob, but when you finally begin to think of yourself as a beer connoisseur, then you tend to go from one end of the scale to the other, from darks to lights, from reds to ambers, hops to smooth. The thing with a pilsner, is that they are very scarce; and once you start loving them, it becomes like a treasure hunt to find them. Miller Lite is such a treasure. It gets a bad rap, or no rap really, because it has been there since the beginning of all the "new beer" nonsense of the '80s and 90's like dry beer, light beer, ultra light beer, ice beer, bottled draft, cold-filtered, and so on. And so, having been left out of the circus, it has come full circle as a true American Pilsner, made from real bohemian pilsner malt, not lager malt. Taste the difference. First of all, a good pilsner can pull off a buzz without bloat at only 4% abv, whereas, you cannot even start a light lager lower than 4.7, and then you will be pushing the bloat envelope. Really, take another look at this beer.

3.43/5  rDev +57.3%

Let's be real. Miller lite is in no way comparable to the craft goodness we all know and love. But you have a 12-pack of this in your fridge between the bell's, deschutes, and lagunitas. Why? Sometimes you just want a BEER. no frills, no craft BS, blue-blooded american BEER.

You go to a party, OK? you know, a get-together that's too big to serve the good stuff but too small to have a bartender or keg. You reach into the fridge/ice bucket and you see the beautiful white can with big old letters that say LITE. And you grab one. Hell, you grab two because you can't guarantee you'll get another one before someone else gets the same idea. And you can't drink a (....shudder...) bud lite. You're a man. You're above that. So you crack open the ice-cold pils and you freaking enjoy it. It's as good as your haughty-taughty double ipa you had before coming to the shindig.

5/5

Are you joking with some of these reviews?
A lot of you need to stop trying so hard.

L: Pours a golden yellow hue with a two finger satin white head.
S: Corn, a little bit of biscuity malt with a subtle floral undertone. Diacetyl is detectable, but I won't lose sleep over it.
T: Excellent. Biscuity, bready, floral and creamy with notes of roasted corn. No offputting metallic or green apple flavors. Thirst quenching and crushable. Perfect for the style.
F: Creamy but crisp. Effervescent. Body is, again, perfect for the style.
O: Infinitely better if you can get it fresh, and in a can. I will admit, bottles tend to get skunked, although this is only the case if you buy a single 22oz instead of a rack of bottles that come in packaging to keep the light out.

Snobbery aside, this is one of the best light beers on the market.

2.55/5  rDev +17%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: 24oz large can (No. 13) slapped with lots of witty marketing jive, and a wide mouth opening. No freshness date.

Appearance: Very pale yellow in colour with a fine wispy head of carbonation.

Smell: Clean, semi-floral to the nose with hints of grain.

Taste: Light graininess, with hints of grain husk and sweetness. The tight carbonation mingles with a slight steely flavour, to produce some sharpness and mouth appeal. The hops come across lemony, with the slightest of tea-like characteristics. As the brew warms, notes of dimethyl sulfide (cooked corn) become noticeable. Finishes mostly clean with a metallic residual flavour in the back of the mouth and tongue.

Notes: As far as lite beers go, it's not horrible, but it is still a lite beer ... why bother drinking this on a normal basis?

3.09/5  rDev +41.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I feel like a fool for never reviewing this, as I have had 10,456 of them. If I give it a bad review, it will make me look like a masochist. One of things I like about this beer is that I can buy a 30 pack at Costco for 45 cents. Once I get them home I find them to be either a nice way to start the night (as they don't count as a drink) or a great way to end the night (don't waste a good drink if you can't stand up). This beer is liquid and not poisonous which gives it good points. It has little taste and makes me pee a lot which is bad. Overall I will likely buy 500 more of them this year, so I give it a thumbs up

2.36/5  rDev +8.3%

This the usual light brewski, same as the rest ... one of the better light beers out there for sure if you are a stickiler to styles. Light bodied, thin lace and minimal head retention. Lots of corn in the aroma and flavor, finishes pretty damn dry. More or less a sad excuse for beer.

3.88/5  rDev +78%

Not a big fan of light beers, but this one might be the best light beer on the market. I always get a more crisp refreshing finish out of this beer. I hate the dry finish of Bud Light and the watery taste i get from a Coors light. Miller Lite is a good session or lawnmower beer.

4.24/5  rDev +94.5%

(four 8 oz cans, poured in succession, keeping my Chouffe tulip near full - review #1000)

L: crystal-clear liquid of a sunny golden-yellow hue... poured with about an inch of loose, white foam, which for some reason doesn't immediately disappear... somehow, a thin collar of suds remains... no lace of note - it seems like it wants to stick, but you can actually see it retract from the glass

S: wet stainless steel, lightly-toasted cereal grain - mildly cereal-like similar to one of the Chex brands... tiny hint of green grass on the edges... arguably has an overtone of what I can only describe as the damp floor and general interior of a large warehouse or factory... not picking up the triple hops... altogether, not powerful or inviting, but more definition than expected

T: one should be able to tell during its light-moderate watery finish that it's missing some meat, but the malt that's there is at a surprising level... bit of a subtle almost artificial sweetishness (Splenda?) that lingers that seems to balance the grassy/dirty-penny... the blend of malt/corn may be sort of awash in or cut with mineral water, but there is some flavor to be had here once unfrozen

F: surprising degree of body to it (when warmer), but still rather light and disappearing on the palate... maybe I need to eat, but I'm getting a subtle glow of warmth in the back of the palate... the carbonation comes across very quiet and a bit fluffy-foamy... I gotta say, perhaps it's a fortunate choice of glass, but I cannot see what they could do to improve the textures of this beer - I'm still floored that it's anything but thin and fizzy

O: I got myself into trouble on a few occasions as a teenager drinking this crap: 1) this was the featured beer among a menu mostly consisting of random old man's liquors when I nearly gave myself alcohol poisoning raiding a friend's dad's bar when I was 15 (slept 14 hours that evening, missed the next day of school - shame shame), 2) powered down 10 beer bongs of this in an hour once - the one and only time I can recall having a feeling coming close to being on psychedelics by way of drinking (age: about 16), 3) was arrested after having shared a case of cans with the aforementioned friend in the car while driving down south for spring break - we almost got there without incident, and managed to only have one unopened can left - stuff to be proud of... anyway, first, this might be the first time I've ever had this in a glass - traditionally, I've only swilled this from a can... surprised how relatively tasty this actually is when poured out into a glass - I cannot say the same about most other adjunct lagers... and this just further supports my feeling that of the classic big 3, Miller's beers I seem to loathe least... a sentimental classic

2.24/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

In the world of light beers, this is one of the more drinkable ones. The flavor is slightly more complex with malts, corn, a sweetness that I can not identify and some grassy notes. Light bodied, light mouth feel, finishes moderately dry, moderate carbonation.

3.61/5  rDev +65.6%

Less of a beer and more of a way of life/business mandate for me. My occupation demands that I drink this often and in mass. When I’m out with work people (even at a good beer bar) I frequently have to stick to ML or perhaps High Life in order to keep up. Work sometimes dictates that I drink more than 10 beers in a night and I can down 10 MLs and still be sober. Try that with any craft and you’re toast. I don’t usually mind it too much, ML in the bottle makes for a decent session. If it’s ice cold and in a can it’s reminiscent of a camping or fishing trip for me. Either way it’s ok. On tap is a different story. ML on tap is just piss and indigestion in a glass. Forget about it even when it’s free. ML looks like corn colored piss. It tastes like water and pilsner malt when ice cold and corn syrup when cold to warm. It smells the same as it tastes. It doesn’t give much of a buzz. It IS LESS FILLING! It’s way better than bud light, that’s for damned sure. Since we are supposed to review “within the style” here on BA, I’ve gotta give this beer props. It’s about the best you can do in this pathetic style.

Funky, salty, and altogether lifeless. This is not a pleasant beer, or even palatable for that matter. Even as the style goes, this is one of the worst options out there in my opinion.

Would Drink Again: No
Would Purchase Again: No

2.6/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My go to macro lager. Good substitute for water while mowing the grass, or settling in after a few stiff IPAs. Will not win many awards, but I prefer its taste to most readily available domestic lagers.

2.78/5  rDev +27.5%

So I am in Ruston, Louisiana and wanted to have a beer in the hotel and the gas station across the street had limited options. I never drank a lot of this, although it was always around.

Yes, it is corny and bland, but it is not offensive and quite easy to drink. I can see why unimaginative people flock to ths. It would require a ton of them to get a solid buzz, but would not require much work.

3.71/5  rDev +70.2%

I know im of the minority on this brew but i truly enjoy it. Yeah its light and has hardly any flavor but what it has is great and you can literally find it anywhere. This is my lawnmower beer of choice.

2.29/5  rDev +5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer was poured from the bottle (new white vintage throwback label) at the Andiamo banquet hall in Warren, Michigan into a generic stange. It showed a shimmering bright yellow coloring and produced a stark white head of quickly thinning foam. This stood a finger and a half tall at its conception, but quickly faded into a film across the top of the liquid. Lacing was globular and sparse. No haze or sediment was noted, and carbonation appeared to be highly active. The aroma was simple and straightforward, offering biscuity pale and harsh adjuncty grain, dried wheat and straw, unsalted table crackers, basic lager yeast metallics, glass, stamp adhesive, burlap and gauze, skunky and old grassy hop airs, dried twigs and leafs, and heaps upon heaps of cheap and generic cereal grain grit and toast. The flavoring, too, followed suit as expected. Notes of bland adjuncty and Pilsner grain, toasted almonds, white printer paper, cleaner wheaty maltiness, dust, harsh yeasty metallics, foil, lemon rind, sweat, burlap, light green grassy hops, pound cake sweetness, straw, and dried mushrooms flood the palate. The body is light and washes the flavoring out, and carbonation is high, bubbling actively on the palate. Each sip gives lightly appropriate slurp, smack, cream, froth, and crisp finishing pop. The foam around the mouth was robust, leaving the palate prickled, dried, and somewhat puckered. The abv was appropriate, and the beer drank like water.

Overall, what really is there to discuss about this beer?! It is simple. It is light. It is intently mild in flavoring. Obviously a popular beer for the masses, we've had this one countless times before. The occasion for rating came at a friend's wedding, and it was used mainly as a palate cleanser between much more satisfying nips of delicious bourbon.

2.95/5  rDev +35.3%

From the can, it tastes much like the bottle. Typical of American Pilsners, the brew is flavored with adjunct grains, but that's what makes it taste better than weaker lagers. Still quite malty sweet for the style with a rice or corn flavor and texture. Lightly vegetal. Hopped for earthiness and a bitter balance. The can seemed to give up a light metalic flavor that I found distracting. Though not very good, this is my usual 'ball-game' beer.

2.23/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks to my brother for graciously sharing this gem with me over Memorial Day weekend. Its been such a long time since ive tried any of this swill that it felt good to take a step back, reset the palate and just appreciate the glory of craft beer which I have been spoiled with all these years. My review may be biased because I was in a good mood while my team was crushing the opponent during a fierce bout of backyard horseshoes.

Decanted from a half barrel into a oversized clear plastic picture and then again finally into my red solo cup. The brew is a pristine piss yellow with a sudsy white froth that lasts atop. The smell is slightly corn-like and nothing else. The taste has mild sweetness, corn again, mild sulfur/carbonics and water. The feel is light, super cold (which I hear is indicadive of the style) and moderately carbonated from the double decanting. If I was forced to drink macro crap, I could tolerate this but im not drinking it if there are other choices available...like water.

3.73/5  rDev +71.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

16 oz. can poured into tall mug
(best by Nov. 6, 2017 printed on bottom of can)

L: dark yellow-gold, crystal clear, big head of foam about an inch tall and slightly sticky; loads and loads of activity keep a full skin and super thick collar of white foam; slight lacing; beautiful brew

S: that AAL house paint thing ... grain, sour grain ... very weak aroma, so not much offensive but also not much to enjoy

T: corn, corn tortilla chip, loads and loads of grain, pinch of medicinality but also a pinch of earthy/black peppery hops ... it's just a pinch, but it's there and adding something;

F: light, almost watery but loads of carbonation fill it out and make it a model of drinkability

O: easily the best light American adjunct lager I've had, though the style is one I steer clear of over 99% of the time; this beer is good enough that I wouldn't hesitate to go with it when all other choices are terrible, and frankly, I probably will use it as a "drinker" to fill out my fridge when the fridge is running low ... it compares nicely to my favorite AALs, and I enjoy AALs, so me and Miller Lite will be meeting often

2.05/5  rDev -6%

Drank out of a 12oz can
Look: Transparent, light corn yellow. A little carbonation.
Smell: Smells like a can of sour beer
Taste: Almost no taste. Eventual light pilsner, clearly low quality hops. The aluminum can taste overpowers all other flavors and is the dominant taste.
Feel: Feels like water with a little carbonation. Very easy to put down because it has almost no substance.
Overall: Complete garbage. Beerwater.

2.24/5  rDev +2.8%

very pale..a tinge of golden color, quick head...bubbles galore

smell is half appetizing malt half corn chip half frathouse

to be honest the front tastes just fine.. slim and malty without enough flavor but not bad... afterwards there is metallic, corny, husky and a mild teabag finish

goes down like tanya gibbons in the 7th grade... easily but a little rough around the edges... a little dry and bubbly

the term pissypants comes to mind.. and ooo i can feel my waist slimming as i sip!

if you could press it into a crunchy triangle shape this would make an amazing accompaniment to some chunky salsa, melted nacho cheese and homemade guacamole

This is just an awful beer. I have drank a lot of this beer over time, but only for tailgates and parties. It is by far the worst of the major light lagers in my opinion.

3.21/5  rDev +47.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I'm rating this because I give it more credit than Bud Light or Coors Light. While the three major domestics are very similar in their watered down, highly carbonated, ho-hum ways, Miller Lite does have a slightly different taste that stands out in a slightly better way than the other two. I can't give it the usual ratings like other beers. I just know it's a pilsner, it's a fantastic session beer in that I can drink a six or twelve pack in about an hour or two, and it's got a little bit more malty/grainy flavor to it that Bud or Coors. I'm also a consumer that is a sucker for all things vintage, and unlike its counterparts, they have wisely stuck with the retro label for the last couple years and it's probably why I am buying this beer a little more often than not. Nothing fancy--just a truly cheap, drinkable American beverage. A fine pilsner beer...indeed.

2017 Edit: For the ratings, however

L - Pours a golden yellow, a little deeper than BL and Coors Light, and a good inch of white, foamy head that disappears and leaves a thin lacing on the glass. Lots of bubbles.

S - Grassy, corn, malt, a little peppery, a little metallic. Faint, but more on the nose than the others.

T - Light, bready and malty. Cereal grain, corn, and a peppery bite at the end, much like the smell. It stands out more than the others because it leaves a corny aftertaste.

F - Light, crisp, clean, lots of carbonation, and very drinkable/poundable, especially when ice cold on tap.

O - I watched a YouTube review of this beer, and the guy said it has a little more "oomph" than other microbrews. That's what you get with Miller Lite. It's not the best. It's not the worst. But it stands out from the others.

2.6/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

As average as they come but still the best of the three major American lights (Coors, Bud, Miller)

4.59/5  rDev +110.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I thought Miller Lite was actually a very good beer the first time I tried it in a small bar in Menominee, Michigan.It was served in a standard 12 ounce beer glass. I really liked the taste of the beer. I was able to notice the flavor of the hops within the Lite beer. The mouthfeel and texture were very smooth. I will have this beer again in the future.

Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.8% out of 100 with 4,556 ratings