Miller Lite | Miller Brewing Co.

awful

Style: Light Lager

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999

Reviews: 1,185 | Ratings: 4,468
2.51/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance: Clear, yellow body with a thin, fizzy, white head.

Smell: Very minor notes of pale malts and yellow corn.

Taste: Faint pale maltiness, a touch of corn, and a light sweetness. Exceptionally mild bitterness. Abrupt, thin finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-high carbonation.

Drinkability: It's fine for what it is, I guess. And so poundable! You can down a pint before you say "I'll meet you at the bottom!" I'll take Remarkably Bland over Questionably Foul-Tasting any damn day of the week.

1.95/5  rDev -14.5%

There are several Big Questions for many Americans: Ford vs. Chevy, apple pie vs. cherry pie, Betty vs. Veronica, Red Sox vs. Yankees and McDonald's vs. Burger King. Where one sits on these most important questions of our times speaks volumes about one's character and good sense. Loyalty to one or the other often runs strong and deep with many a long night in a dimly lit bar spent arguing the merits of one particular side.

With that in mind, I decided to answer, for myself, another of the Big Questions, namely Bud Light vs. Miller Lite. Neither has much to recommend it, but one has to be better, er... less bad... doesn't it? My Bud Light review is already 'in the can' so to speak, so here we go with the Miller.

Absolutely clear, pale straw. The head is very nearly cotton white and actually seems to have some substance to it. It's not that impressive, but it is more dense than I expected. A little lace is actually beginning to stick to the upper reaches of the glass. The smell isn't impressive, but neither is it offensive. Mildly toasted grain is about it. The taste is sub-par, but isn't as nasty tasting as the Bud Light was. Slightly sour grain with a mild bitter bite is about all that I can appreciate.

The mouthfeel is thin, watery and overly fizzy. In other words, it's a lite/light version of a macro lager. I will never buy this beer again and would have second thoughts about drinking it if nothing else was available. That said, I'd at least be able to get it down and keep it down, unlike Bud Light. So there you have it. Miller wins the battle of the lightweights, although that isn't saying a whole helluva lot.

Oh yeah, the answers to the questions posed above are: neither one, cherry, Veronica, ML baseball can kiss my fed up, disillusioned ass, and Wendy's.

2.18/5  rDev -4.4%

Had at a BBQ after I had finished what I brought. Next time I need to bring a few more of my own.

A: Pale yellow/straw colored with a foamy white head that dissipates quickly. Little bits of lace form after taking a sip, but are gone pretty quickly.

S: Pretty muted, grainy malt, a bit of corn sweetness. No hops.

T: Some grainy malt and a bit more sweetness than the aroma. Where are the triple hops though?

M: Light bodied with high carbonation. On the watery side, but that wasn't too surprising.

O: Easy to drink, but only because there really isn't much to it. Not what I want to be drinking, but won't refuse it if there is nothing else and I am out with friends or at some sort of social event.

2.05/5  rDev -10.1%

Well because you have to I am gonna try some macros and just put my thoughts out there. Here is the first. Poured a pale yellow, with tons of visible carbonation, big frothy head faded instantly revealing a clear bubbly liquid. No smell, maybe a bit musty but really nothing. Taste was so watered down and bland. Light grain taste, but drink it cold because once it warms its done. Smooth and deeply carbonated, drinks like a soda. The only reasonable points it gets are for drinkibility, if it is ice cold goes down well, if its warm, watch out!

2.15/5  rDev -5.7%

I saw a sign that said 'free beer' when I purchased my wild boar burger at Fuddruckers so I took the chance to review a beer I would not pay for. served chilled in a clear plastic cup.

The color is golden, darker than I would have imagined, very clear with a thin white cap and fast moving bubbles. The smell is pretty tame, not really offensive as much as just faint. The smell does come off as slightly metallic as it gets beyond chilled closer to room temp. The feel is very light, so watery it is very carbonated and airy like corn-pops in the malt texture, just kind of a seltzery feel.

This taste is again as the smell promised, not much of anything - nothing terrible except the fact that it seems almost flavorless, gentle adjunct-type sweetness and slight hint of spice which could just be the high carbonation tricking my tastebuds. Overall I can't imagine a beer I would like to drink less of -just seems like the only thing it was good for was cleansing my palate after an order of chili-cheese fries.

2.36/5  rDev +3.5%

This the usual light brewski, same as the rest ... one of the better light beers out there for sure if you are a stickiler to styles. Light bodied, thin lace and minimal head retention. Lots of corn in the aroma and flavor, finishes pretty damn dry. More or less a sad excuse for beer.

2.62/5  rDev +14.9%

A cheap beer consumed in "honor" of a friend's birthday, as we didn't have anything else around.

A: I poured it into a glass just because I hadn't examined the looks of Miller Lite in quite some time. I was astonished at how absolutely close to being clear this beer is. Just the slightest touch of yellow, and no head.

S: So much for that "triple hops" brewing technique, as all there is to the aroma is some grain and corn. Alright, maybe an ever so slight hint of hops.

T: The taste is a bit more "robust" than other BMC products (especially of the "lite" variety), but that's not saying much. There is some actual grain taste and sweetness. Again, that "triple hops" brewing system must have been out of commission the day this batch was brewed...

M: Thin, light, and watery in terms of the body, and quite fizzy on the tongue.

D: This is drinkable in the way that water is drinkable (because that's mostly what it tastes like). I gave it the rating I did for drinkability because while you can certainly consume a lot of them due to their rather neutral flavor, I just wouldn't want to. At this point in my beer drinking life, anyway.

1.28/5  rDev -43.9%

From 05/29/11 notes. Part II of my reviewing bad beers at a wedding. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip like glass.

a - Pours a clear, pale golden color with one finger of fluffy white head and high carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sour bready, grain, rice, wheat, and metallic notes. The sourness and metal blends into a truely aweful smell.

t - Tastes of cigarettes, metallic notes, sour bready, wheat, and grain. The metal and sourness from the nose is now mixing with what I imagine cigarette butts taste like. I've always pitured the brewers brewing this beer while smoking, and just throwing the butts in as they finished their cigarettes.

m - Light body and high carbonation. Water-like feel and too carbonated.

o - Overall this is one of my least favorite beers, and probably the worst of the BMC products in my opinion.

At this point in the night I saw someone with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, which was apparently being served at one bar but not the other, so I abandoned my bad beer reviewing and switched to SN and whiskey for the rest of the night.

2.38/5  rDev +4.4%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Somehow this bottle (plastic with a soda-style twist-off top, by the by) escaped the Swill Tour 2010. Well, don't you worry, it's meeting its destiny now. It pours a clear sallow topped by less than a finger of white foam. The nose comprises funked wheat, hard water, corn syrup, and vegetable oil. Not much difference in the taste, though the corn syrup is trying really hard to add some bland sweetness. Vanity. The body is quite light, with a moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, just a crappy beer in general. But something tells me you already knew this. I mean, they couldn't even spell "Light" correctly...

1.62/5  rDev -28.9%

I CANnot believe either their current marketing campaign OR the gullibility of the drinking populace. "Locks In Great Pilsner Taste", "Taste Protector Lid", "Great Pilsner Taste ... Triple Hops Brewed" are all followed on their imprint by "TM" in the teeny-tiniest, sub-agate font allowed by law! Why, you might ask is that important? Because, by law, you CAN and MAY trademark any meaningless slogan that passes across your synapses. That would be like me advertising "Woody Chandler - interchangeable with Hercules, Adonis, and/or Superman!" (TM). Rubbish!

On to the beer: I hoped, for a fleeting millisecond, that I might have actually poured a beer today with some head. Whoops, was I wrong! It started out with a nice, bone-white head, but the fizzy carbonic nature of the beer just erupted right through any head that may have had a chance. Even H. C. Andersen's mermaid had a better chance of becoming foam. I really had to sniff to get the cereal-grain (think Cheerios) smell that so many others have alluded to. It was a weakling at a sand-kicking contest (thx, Charles Atlas). Color was a straw-yellow with a brightness approaching water or glass. Mouthfeel was light and airy, allowing me to drift away on its billowy, puffy feel and forget, blissfully, that I was supposed to be drinking BEER! The taste, thankfully protected by the lid and with a "great pilsner taste" (TM), reminded me that it was "triple hops brewed" (TM). Rubbish! I've had tap water with a better taste and mouthfeel. Utter garbage foisted upon an unsuspecting public by lawyers in cahoots with brewers who should know better. The finish left me wishing for beer.

When the bottom line ($) is the bottom line, spend your money elsewhere.

2.22/5  rDev -2.6%

The beer is completely clear with a thin white collar that leaves minimal lacing. The aroma is typical of a macro lager, with sweet grain and corn. The flavor is fairly sweet, with a mediocre grainy taste. One of these is more than enough. Uninteresting and oddly sweet. The body is thin with a solid carbonation level. The finish brings more sweet grain, with a total lack of hop presence. Overall, I will never understand why the masses continually buy this beer.

2.23/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to my brother for graciously sharing this gem with me over Memorial Day weekend. Its been such a long time since ive tried any of this swill that it felt good to take a step back, reset the palate and just appreciate the glory of craft beer which I have been spoiled with all these years. My review may be biased because I was in a good mood while my team was crushing the opponent during a fierce bout of backyard horseshoes.

Decanted from a half barrel into a oversized clear plastic picture and then again finally into my red solo cup. The brew is a pristine piss yellow with a sudsy white froth that lasts atop. The smell is slightly corn-like and nothing else. The taste has mild sweetness, corn again, mild sulfur/carbonics and water. The feel is light, super cold (which I hear is indicadive of the style) and moderately carbonated from the double decanting. If I was forced to drink macro crap, I could tolerate this but im not drinking it if there are other choices available...like water.

1.9/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Appears a fizzy yellow tone with a large bubbled white head leaves thin fine lacing. Aroma is full of cereal grains straight from the corn, rice, and barley categories some light hop character thrown in but overall uninteresting to me. Taste at least attempts to have a hop profile as the "true pilsner" this beer claims to be great for mass consumption low sweetness very light bitterness pretty clean overall. Mouthfeel is light carbonated water esque with a carbonation factor that tickles the throat. Drinkability hot summer cookout with friends it's safe other than that steer away from this one, if your looking for a great taste. Good commercials at times...hand me a Sunshine Pils.

2.56/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

I had some people over this past weekend and a couple of these remained in the fridge after everyone left. Pours a Light golden straw color with a decent head that slowly dissipates to a cap on top leaving lots of lace on the way down. Pilsner malt, and a light nondescript spiciness provides balance. There's not a whole lot going on in the aroma here. The taste is lightly bready with a crisp almost tart spiciness that does well to balance any malt that might show up. Thin body with a thin watery mouthfeel and an ample amount of carbonation. There's certainly nothing overly offensive here, but at the same time there's nothing exciting here either. This might make an ok lawnmower beer, but I can think of many with some flavor that I would pick over this.

2.29/5  rDev +0.4%

12oz can poured into a pint glass (for reviewing purposes)

Pours a clear yellow-gold with a mound of head and actually has decent retention. Smell is faint; grains but nothing else. Taste is weak grains and even weaker hops. The flavors here are so faint as to almost be nondescript. Highly carbonated, watery, and crisp.

There's very little here in the way of good. Very drinkable, but only if you don't mind the lack of flavor and enjoyability.

2.89/5  rDev +26.8%

This is just "another american macro beer". To bad the amount of money spent on advertising couldnt generate a better beer. Look this beer is golden in color, clear with decent carbonation. The smell and taste is dominated by grain/barley. The mouthfeel is fine. After any sporting activity or workingin thehot sun....this beer tastes great....but when compared to others....not so much.

2.03/5  rDev -11%

Poured light straw yellow with a bubbly head that fizzles out.
The smell was of adjuncts with hints of a chemical aroma.
The taste was of watered-down adjuncts. A vague watered-down hint of hops was very barely noticeable.
It goes down pretty easily - leaves a vague aftertaste.
There are plenty worse macro-lights. It might be okay if it's the only choice at a summer party or similar occassion, but not a true pilsener as it claims, and very watery and boring.

2.72/5  rDev +19.3%

Continuing my survey of light beer, onward, and....upward?

Tremendously transparent, pale golden hue, slim slab of froth that disappers assuredly, while bubble float up from below. "Looks like a beer."

Aroma: wispy corny sweetness, and little else.

Taste: soft, then crisp, then gone. Lightness is indeed represented in full here, and any flavor that is present is absent before you notice. Doesn"t taste "bad" mind you, and there"s a brief bit of malt and grainy, enough thatI'd say it lives up to it's advertising. (Not that says much, being better tasting than Bud Light doesn't say I've sampled.

Dry, lightly citric finish, intensely carbonated, faint body. It does what it's supposed to....

Could it actually be happening that i"m saying good things about miller lite? What's next, I'll join the Garth Brooks fan club? Eat all my meals at Hardee's? Throw out my book collection and spend all my time in front of the Tee Vee?

Well, if that's all you want from a beer, lightness, wetness, a modicum of flavor, and the usual amount of booze, here it is, enjoy.

I'll still opt for more hops, more malt, more actual taste, and count us all lucky that such things are indeed in plentiful supply.

2.71/5  rDev +18.9%

08/02/08- Had on tap at a random sports bar in Canton, OH.

Presentation- Via the tap into a limited edition HOF pint glass which was free with purchase of Miller Lite...the only way I could get the glass.

Appearance- Light yellow colored pour. Pretty nice looking mildly foamy, yet somewhat creamy pocky head. Fades in a fe minutes and leaves no lace.

Smell- Light grainy notes...not really a corn scent but not to horrible.

Taste- Grainy notes, a bit of light malt-like taste. Sweet, but not overly sweet like some macros. Maybe even a slight hop twinge.

Mouthfeel- Average carbonation, not a offensive aftertaste.

Drinkability- For what it is, it's really not as horrible as I was expecting. About the same boat as Bud Light, but maybe a touch better. Blows Coors Light out of the water.

2.86/5  rDev +25.4%

Matt's afternoon of free American Adjunct lager beers continues. Served in a can.

Beer is clear and yellow, large bubbles make up the steady carbonation, no real head at all, no lacing.

Aroma is barely there at all. Some grains....maybe.

Beer is thin but has some flavor to it. No alcohol but some grain and the carbonation fill it out slightly. I'm not going to say its a great beer but I've had worse. I've had worse craft beer honestly. Its just boring and simple and bland.

1.24/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Can from hotel happy hour. I don’t really see the point of these light lagers, they’re bland and tasteless. Pale golden color, no head, no aroma, bland cereal taste. Yuk!

2.9/5  rDev +27.2%

Poured a see thru piss yellow with a finger of head that dissapated quickly and left some decent lacing on the glass. I definitely get aromas of various grains and water off the bat but also get faint malt and wheat notes. This a very thin and watery beer with grains as the dominate factor on the taste which has a little malt but that's about it; very bland flavor. The beer was super thin in body with a good amount of carbonation that had a grainy watery and slight crisp finish. The beer drinks very good because its so damn watery which makes for a great session beer and also a brew you can have lots of in the hot summer day. Oh....and the only reason I'm reviewing this beer is to gain beer style points cause I need to review a light lager.

2.14/5  rDev -6.1%

One of the better macro light beers, but that isn't saying much. All Miller Lite really has going for it is that it's easy to pound and the taste is inoffensive. Has almost no smell or taste except for that of grainy sugar water. I really couldn't muster more than a glass of this.

2.57/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some malts. Taste is missing for the most part, beer flavored water with a hint of bitterness. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. If only the product could match the advertising, this one is not good.

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.