Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Miller Lite | Miller Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: Light Lager

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999

Reviews: 1,158 | Ratings: 4,377
3.68/5  rDev +61.4%

If you are going to drink a light beer then this is the best one I found so far based on calories per alcholol content and overall taste. Let's face it a light beer will never compete with most good regular beers but if you want a few and are counting calories this is my number 1 in the low calorie category. My regular staple.

3.66/5  rDev +60.5%

This is a true American classic. Note, American. This is as domestic as you can get, but when you cannot afford those great expensive beers (or when you get to that point that you cannot tell the taste) this is what you go for. If ever in Milwaukee, I highly recomend the tour of Miller Brewing and the free sample of this beer. The fresh clean taste will make you have a new appreciation.

3.66/5  rDev +60.5%

Review to style as they say and for a mass produced macro swill this is my favorite for just chillin and enjoying some beer thats not gonna get me too wasted.

The appearance on all of em (macro swills) is pretty nice gold straw with continued effervescence throughout and a good carbonation level. Extremely drinkable and the flavor is a very mellow german or czech type hops. They arent making it strong but it still tastes like one of the beers I grew up with. To hell with beer snobbishness. Sometimes the truth might not be what you want to hear or believe.

I will happily drink miller lite anytime unless I'm really in the mood for something stronger & that might not even be a beer.

3.65/5  rDev +60.1%

From the Bros description for Light Lager category: "very low in malt flavor with a light and dry body. The hop character is low and should only balance with no signs of flavor or aroma."

Look: clear, light golden color; thin white head dissipates quickly and with no lacing
Smell: faint cooked vegetal aroma, like mixed vegetables boiling on the stove top
Taste: watery for sure; mildly sweet malt/cereal graininess
Feel: crisp mouthfeel; finishes clean rather than dry and no hop essence detected in nose, taste or finish

Overall: not my favorite lite beer (that would be Sam Adams Light) but this does hit most of the beer's category marks. Points deducted a bit since finish isn't dry, but maybe I'm spoiled by all the IPA/DIPA's I've consumed in the recent past.

3.63/5  rDev +59.2%

Had this on numerous occasions. this is my father's go-to beer because of how cheap it is. most people speak ill of this beer, but for what it is, its pretty darn good.

A - typical pale yellowness, nothing special

S - sweet and malty, corn, pretty much nothing offensive

T - sweet and refreshing, much better than the other american lagers, in fact out of all of the cheap american lagers, i would say this is the best or one of the best. it always hits the spot, tastes just a little bit cleaner than bud light, and it has more substance than coors light, the taste is mostly sweet, and a slight sharpness at the end from a little bit of hops...which is more that what most american lagers can say.

M - clean and crisp, very carbonated which works well for the taste, light bodied.

O - can't go wrong with this for the price, a true american beer.

3.62/5  rDev +58.8%

Not a bad Light Lager, and has been my go-to tailgater in the category for years.

Appearance is average, with 1F white bubbly head dropping to thinnest of film, over a very clear yellow body.

Bit of a musty/earthy smell, with a wee touch o' the 3 hop buds that were tossed into in this batch.

Some urinal cake (um, no, haven't actually partaken in one before) followed by white bread, rice, and water - not a bad prison beer.

Mouthfeel is consistently good - not too sharp, not too soft. Speculate that this is the primary reason why BAs usually lean to ML over BL or CL.

Solid on the drinkability meter... sorry Bud Light, but Miller Lite's flavor and mouthfeel crush you on this one. Good ads though.

3.61/5  rDev +58.3%

Less of a beer and more of a way of life/business mandate for me. My occupation demands that I drink this often and in mass. When I’m out with work people (even at a good beer bar) I frequently have to stick to ML or perhaps High Life in order to keep up. Work sometimes dictates that I drink more than 10 beers in a night and I can down 10 MLs and still be sober. Try that with any craft and you’re toast. I don’t usually mind it too much, ML in the bottle makes for a decent session. If it’s ice cold and in a can it’s reminiscent of a camping or fishing trip for me. Either way it’s ok. On tap is a different story. ML on tap is just piss and indigestion in a glass. Forget about it even when it’s free. ML looks like corn colored piss. It tastes like water and pilsner malt when ice cold and corn syrup when cold to warm. It smells the same as it tastes. It doesn’t give much of a buzz. It IS LESS FILLING! It’s way better than bud light, that’s for damned sure. Since we are supposed to review “within the style” here on BA, I’ve gotta give this beer props. It’s about the best you can do in this pathetic style.

3.6/5  rDev +57.9%

I know 99% of people on here love to bash all lite/light macro beers and to some extent I can understand why. They are not that interesting, have minimal aroma/taste/color. People say they all taste the same - they don't - similar yes, but not the same. I you had miller lite, colors light and bud light next to each other in a blind taste test you would definitely be able to tell a noticeable difference. Why you would want to do a light beer taste test I'm not sure :) My favorite beers are Heady and Dinner but I also love Miller Lite and I'm not afraid to say it! Sure, it's not world class by any means but when I'm doing yard work on a 90 degree day it's pretty rad. Sometimes life calls for a good, old fashioned macro beer!

3.6/5  rDev +57.9%

Color, appearance, smell is fine. Taste is nasty..just do not like it...except when it is extremely cold to the point of almost freezing....Have had it in bottle, can, etc and still the same nasty taste unless freezing.

3.6/5  rDev +57.9%

Drank this on tap at the Louder Than Life Rock Festival in Louisville KY because it was this, Coors Light which I know I dislike, and Blue Moon Belgian White, which I also dislike because coriander tastes weird and it was more expensive, and as hot as it was, light beer just sounded refreshing. I usually am a dark beer guy, but I take what I can get. Served in the 20oz Louder Than Life reusable cup(which I still use).

Look-Clear golden straw, with a nice 1/2 inch head that lasted longer than I expected. Small strings of carbonation, more color than most light beers.

Smell-Like light beer. Not much on the nose. Slight grassy sweet smell.

Taste-Sweet grains and malts, light grassy hops, actually not bad. More flavor than Coors or Bud, not much more but enough to make a difference. Very refreshing.

Feel-Light, smooth, drinkable. Not super heavily carbonated which surprised me. Went down great.

Overall-Had low expectations because Coors light is brewed by the same company and I dislike Coors, it tastes like stale water to me. Walked away impressed however, considerably more flavorful, will drink again if the price is right on a hot, summer day or after a long day of work.

3.6/5  rDev +57.9%

This is my new go-to beer. And I'm not even a light beer fan.

Average appearance with a soapy, bright white head that dissipates at a slow speed. The brew is a super filtered straw color.

The aroma smells no different than any other macro lager; some grain, corn, and that typical beer smell.

For the taste, it goes down very, very smoothly. It's smooth. You've got some sweet corn adjunct (but it doesn't have a cheap or stale taste to it), lots of carbonated and clean water, and then at the end - and slightly in the middle, but not by much - there is a tiny undercurrent of hops. However, this is a light beer, so whatever hops are there will just be dry and bitter-tasting, no floral or citrus notes, obviously.

This is one of the more flavorful light beers. However, if you want the fullest taste from a light beer, Coors Light has the most by a long shot.

It doesn't beat Coors Light, but it is good. I like Miller Lite a lot. It has no off-putting aromas or taste notes. I just simply can't understand all the bad ratings.

All in all, this is a light beer. Beer gurus shouldn't be reviewing it, because it's not meant to taste like fruit, chocolate, or pine trees. It's a light beer in high demand by the masses, which prevents it from being composed of high level ingredients. So what? Most food you eat is that way.

3.6/5  rDev +57.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I'd have to say this has been my 30-pack session beer for several years now. One thing I can say is this beer has never bitten me on the back end, even with many servings in a session. My rating is for within its categery - light lager or light pilsner. Speaking of pilsener, I'd rather have one of these than a Pilsner Urquell (sp?). Pours a nice golden color for a light beer, and actually has some taste to it. Cheers!

3.58/5  rDev +57%

While it may not be the most popular or best selling light beer in America, Miller Lite is definitely the best tasting. That point cannot be argued. As far as light beers go, Miller presents us with much more taste and mouthfeel than other leading light beers. The only light beer that can rival it is Sam Adams Light. I am a big fan of paying for and drinking better beers, however, if I plan to drink all night (maybe a little in excess) the beer that I choose is one that I can handle a lot of and enjoy the taste: Miller Lite.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Staple beer, refreshing with taste. Can drink them like water. Is it the best beer? No. But compared to other Marco Lights it has the most flavour. Definitely tastes great & is less filling.

3.58/5  rDev +57%

A - Mediocre head, light yellow color. Highly carbonated.

S - Corn, bread. Very subdued.

T - Corn, bread, and grain.

M - Undeniably light.

D - Very good. Another great example of an easy to drink American brew.

Miller Lite is not a craft beer. Therefore, judging it by similar standards not only displays inherent bias towards particular styles- it's undeniably moronic. To think that this classic American beer occupies the bottom of the list...

3.57/5  rDev +56.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

LOOK
Large white head. Decent retention and lacing. Clear, light yellow body. Moderate carbonation.

SMELL
Clean. Mild malt. A little bit of graininess.

TASTE
Starts out clean, smooth, and mildly malty. However it ends with a graininess that detracts from the smoothness. Very mild floral hops in the background. Light and drinkable. Not bad if you don't mind the grainy flavor.

FEEL
Very light body. Lots of carbonation. Smooth. Easy to drink.

OVERALL
For a light beer this actually has decent beer flavor. I can taste the malts and even some hops. But I also taste a corn graininess. This is a watery beer that is made to be easy-drinking. Overall it's pretty good for what it is. If it was all malt this would be NICE. But alas, it's an adjunct lager. That's probably why it was so cheap. Easy to drink a bunch of these ice cold. Miller Lite gets the job done with low calories and a low price. The flavor and overall experience are just OK. But for what it is as a cheap, light adjunct lager it's pretty good.

3.56/5  rDev +56.1%

Still feel this is easily the best US macro-brewed light beer. It actually has some taste. This is my go to beer if I'm out tailgating or watching sports and need something cold, refreshing and in a quantity that won't have me draining the wallet. I will take this over Bud or Coors, everytime.

3.55/5  rDev +55.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Well, not light, but it is still being in the avoiding beers field. I would bet it used to be better but the ambiscious made the owners to low the quallity. The foam is almost unexistant and did not really got the point about the difference with some other beers. At least is not that discusting as some other macro lagers.

3.54/5  rDev +55.3%

Good Ol Miller Lite. Its my favorite lite beer but its nothing to write home about.

A: Piss Yellow with a cheap head.

S: A typical beer "I smell the booze on you, have you been drinking?" scent.

T: very very light and no beer bloat. I could drink 20 of these and still feel just tipsy/buzzed and feel like I was drinking at all.

M: Excellent. Very light and thirst quenching!

D: Put on your drinking boots and put your liver to work cause you gotta work for the buzz! Its a good pizza beer.

3.52/5  rDev +54.4%

A lot of people are acting like beer snobs. This beer is what is. It's not meant to enjoy while sitting at dinner or while watching tv late night. This beer is for people looking to act stupid and get blacked out. And for this it is good. It's not a beer I would choose to drink but it has its place and is a clear leader in piss water category.

3.51/5  rDev +53.9%

I'm pretty sure that everyone looking at this knows about this beer, so I won't go into great detail. Yeah, its completely clear and devoid of any fullness in the nose or taste. But, it doesn't taste offensive, in my opinion, the taste is rather good given the lack of complexity. Its carbonation is just right to create a refreshing mouthfeel, and we all know that nothing could stop you from drinking these all night if you put your mind to it.
My favorite BMC, hands down.

3.5/5  rDev +53.5%

I've always had an affection for this beer. I know it's really nothing more than watered down light lager, but sometimes that's just alright with me. And if you close your eyes and take a sip, you can taste the pilsner deep within screaming to get out.

3.5/5  rDev +53.5%

This is not a fancy beer.

This does not pretend to be a fancy beer.

It is a light yellow color and smells like corn and sweetness. Very drinkable, unlike other American macros (Bud Light). I pick this up occasionally and always know what to expect : a thirstquenching beer with no pretensions.

3.5/5  rDev +53.5%

Appearance: Average-looking beer. A bit more lively than Bud Light, maybe not as much foam. Definitely looks less carbonated.

Smell: Smells a bit malty. I can also sense some hops. One of the most neutral smells out there.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Very smooth, crisp, and clean. Tastes fairly hoppy. Decent carbonation without tasting like soda water.

Drinkability: Probably the easiest light macro to drink.

Overall: Miller Lite ranks as the best light macro beer due to its subtle hoppiness and lack of skunked qualities.

3.5/5  rDev +53.5%

When you rate this beer you have to compare it to other lite beers. That being said, it has more color than a bud or coors and many others, and has more flavor and a stronger smell than many lite beers. Whether one likes it or not is subjective. Yeah, it probably does taste like water after you've had a few. That's usually the case with ANY light beer. You don't drink a lite beer like wine and sip it for an hour. Most people I know who drink any light beer aren't looking for spectacular taste or want to sit and analyze the flavor sip by sip. They want cold, refreshing alcohol that won't fill them up, and usually its only the first sip of a light beer that I've ever heard, " damn that's good". This is basically that, drink it before it gets warm, don't expect a lot of impressive flavor. It's a straight up beer. Few people crave salads, they don't offer excessive and awesome flavor, but its something to eat. Few people crave light beer, but its a beer to drink.

Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.