Olde English 800

Apr 11, 2002
SCORE
Awful
Olde English 800Olde English 800
Notes: There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

Rated: 1.29 by Beergod420 from Michigan

Nov 06, 2022
Reviewed by BeerBobber from Nevada

2.85/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5
Dark gold, amber looking color. Had 1 finger of white head on the pour and quickly lost half that. Looks like the half left is slowly dropping as I type. Lazy streaming carbonation visible.

Nose is a touch sweet. Grain smell on the nose comes through. Like corn grain.

The mouth is sweet and a bit of a malt like flavor. Seems simple on the taste, lets put the two together, now we have sweet malts. Is it overly sweet? No.

Mouth feel starts as a bit medium and finishes surprisingly well. A touch of lingering sweet malt and yes there is the grain on the back of the mouth that sits there for a minute.

I am in las Vegas, NV and was able to get the 7.5% ABV version and I did chill the crap out of the 24 oz. can before I cracked it. I think if this higher ABV (higher than the 5.9% ABV version) were to get warmed up it may have that malt liquor taste I find unpleasant. Kind of that, "I am trying to be a lager, why the shit did they add this fructose syrup to spoil me?", type of thing. If this were to warm up and had a sweeter taste were to come out I would say no way. I will say I have had much worse malt liquor beers for sure. Still searching for my final opinion. The one thing I do not like is I find myself trying to drink it before it warms. And today is a warm day, even though I am inside.. O.K. Maybe that is what this is for, fast slam hopefully quick buzz on a cheap beer, kind of a Four Loko "beer" thing. Enough rambling. How about will I buy it again? The higher ABV warming does come through a bit towards the end as I try to chase a chilled product. Buy it again is still a questionable thought. I really do not think I would try this again unless I could get the lower ABV. More along the lines of an Icehouse beer. Yet there may be a fit for this with some heavy meats on a good BBQ day. Damn now I am just hungry? This has been an exhausting push and pull beer review. I really look forward to more people trying the higher gravity and seeing what they think. I think at 5.9% and being cheap, again around the Icehouse region, this might work. I know people look for the "higher gravity" one, yet now I seek the "lower gravity" one". So sorry for the ramble ladies and gents, Cheers!
Sep 18, 2022
Reviewed by Scott_45 from Ohio

Malt liquor, or adjunct lager, is a mass produced cheap quality beer. Everyone who has consumed "gas station beer" is aware. OE800 is the king of malt liquor as they claim. I relocated to a large metropolitan area from a small rural community, so I never even saw OE800. I lived here for almost 6 months before I actually bought a tall boy. I was pleasantly surprised. Literally the best malt liquor I have ever consumed. Very similar to Bud, and Bud is not that good when compared to craft lager. A sale price with sales tax included of $1.39 is a decent value.
Sep 05, 2022
Reviewed by DrOfGolf from Delaware

1.57/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5
First time ever that I've tried this beer, even though it's been around for so long. Way back when, way before the beer craze began, this was the big "go to" beer for certain groups of people and it was probably because of the ABV. Anyway, I digress. Finally tried this and I was really sorry I did. Blehh. Terrible beer.
Aug 19, 2022

Rated: 3.85 by DownyIsHungry from Minnesota

Aug 04, 2022
Rated by BorntoDie

2.82/5  rDev +32.4%
ahh, miss tha good ol' days with tha glass 40s of old E, damn time's changed.
Aug 03, 2022

Rated: 1.9 by not2quick from Missouri

Jul 09, 2022
Reviewed by datstankadank from New Jersey

3.08/5  rDev +44.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3
fresh out of the 12 pack case. date under can is oct2422. It's american adjunct maibock beer. its certainly not world class, and certainly not awful.. closer to the latter in my opinion. this website has adjunct stouts and ales that are so off-putting that you could NOT drink a pint of it, yet, world class rated...
this just tastes like variations of miller beer. little hoppier than colt 45, 5.9% version. good beer, too strong to have with food and best had as an intitial beer or a final beer of the day.
Jun 17, 2022

Rated: 1.71 by Spark420

May 13, 2022
Reviewed by BCole281 from Texas

2.73/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75
24oz can, BBD JUN0622. Poured into a pint glass.

L - Straw yellow with a thick, soapy white head upon initial pour. Head slowly dissipates to leave a ring around the glass with slight lacing.

S - Malts and sweet corn are the primary notes present.

T - Very malty with an almost honey-like finish. Sweet but inoffensive.

F - Medium carbonation, mouthfeel is somewhat chewy. Cleaner than some of the other MLs I've ticked.

O - The first time I tried reviewing this beer, I knocked the glass over by mistake and it spilled into my old desktop.
It's decent for what it is, but not worth the cost of the computer repair. (Rated to style, YMMV. Drink responsibly.)
Apr 27, 2022

Rated: 2.45 by Danzifer from Ohio

Apr 08, 2022
Reviewed by BroBobby70 from Texas

3.5/5  rDev +64.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5
24 oz. can from Exxon gas station poured into pilsner glass, $2.49
Look: Light straw color, heavy carbonation, three-finger head, decent head retention and lacing
Smell: Strong malt, some floral notes
Taste: Slight bitterness, a little watery to start, then flavor comes on the finish, some metallic taste,
Feel: Reminds me of an adjunct lager, light chewiness and with prominent carbonation
Overall: A middle of the road malt liquor, it hits all the requirements but nothing stands out either good or bad.
Pair with seafood and spicy foods, also works with red meat or by itself really cold.
Mar 24, 2022
Reviewed by mattpressley

2.2/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2
I was initially drawn in by the value...it's cheap and a good bang for your buck. A classic malt liquor that so many people were buying in the ghetto. It wasn't amazing so I couldn't finish the whole thing and saved it for later. Once it got a little warmer- undrinkable. This is what I would consider a last resort beer. The value is okay but you can find better out there for a similar price.
Feb 25, 2022
Reviewed by tekstr1der from New Hampshire

Use only in extreme emergencies if you are a poor high school kid. Almost enough nostalgia to make me want to revisit in the current age and see what it's all about. The keyword being almost haha. Who knows?
Feb 17, 2022
Reviewed by hankp59 from New York

1.85/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75
From a 42 oz plastic bottle? Pours golden yellow with a clear white head. It has a sour malt smell with no hops present. Mouthfeel is light and there is a sour pucker to the malt flavor that obscures whatever bitter hops there are. Run don’t walk from this one unless your idea of a complex flavor profile is club soda.
Jan 12, 2022
Reviewed by Resistance88 from California

Woke up 7 stops past mine on the bus.

Half empty forty of O.E between my legs half leaning towards the floor and Discharge playing on my iPod. The years 2005 and nothing matters.
I gotta make it to my girlfriends house cuz she promised nasty stuff.
Guess i gotta get off at the next stop and catch it in other direction
We're being shit on far too long
DECONTROL DECONTROL
Jan 10, 2022

Rated: 1.1 by BMBCLT from South Carolina

Jan 03, 2022

Rated: 1.87 by mdaschaf from Indiana

Jan 01, 2022
Reviewed by tolar111 from New York

2.98/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3
It's not bad, I poured the first serving from a 42oz plastic bottle into a 16oz glass. I put the cap on the bottle and stuffed it back into the fridge. As I write this, I'm on the second pour. The pour produces a nice head that quickly dissipates to a ring of foam on the top of the glass. The color is a nice golden color and the smell is of sweet corn. I detect no off flavors or alcohol burn which surprises me given the malt liquor designation, but at 5.9% ABV there really shouldn't be any. As I drink the sweetness while not cloying, seems to stack up to the point where I wouldn't open another bottle. Overall I would give this beer a not bad/kind of good rating. Definitely way better than I expected.
Oct 26, 2021
Reviewed by officerbill from New York

3.32/5  rDev +55.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25
L: clear yellow gold with a moderate, short lived head that dissolves into islands
S: some corn and a hint of hops with an odd chemical undertone
T: not all that bad, a little corn, some bready malt, even a touch of hoppy bitterness, but that odd chemicalbase is still there
F: moderately carbonated, pleasantly sweet at the top, but dry with a peppery aftertaste at the end. Not nearly as sweet and slick as other malt liquors
O: not half bad. There is a slight skunkiness that might be due to the 8 month old clear bottle, but it is a distraction and isn't overwhelming. Much less sweet and corn forward than other malt liquors and lacks the sweet, slimy aftertaste many had. It would definitely be on my shopping list if I was on a really tight budget
Oct 24, 2021
Reviewed by thebeers from Pennsylvania

3.41/5  rDev +60.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25
Pours a beautifully clear dark gold color with a fat finger of near white head that has solid retention and leaves solid lacing. Right away, I can tell the low marks for appearance in other BAs’ reviews reveal incredible biase.

The aroma is initially much crisper and more hop forward that I imagined. There’s some corn and even a little skunkiness beneath, but I’d probably peg this as a Euro Lager if tasting it blind. As it sits, the corn aroma becomes much thicker smelling, to the beer’s detriment, but marks for first impressions.

The taste is definitely not as impressive, but still nothing awful. There’s a bit of that Euro Lager-type bitterness, crispness and light skunk, but also an underlying nuttiness that I don’t particularly favor. Some moderate sweetness lingers in the aftertaste (including a decent kiss of apple juice); it’s bot overpowering at first, but grows over time.

The carbonation level in the mouthfeel is super dialed in — very zippy, but without being too heavy handed.

We’ll see how I feel after another 30 or 40 ounces, but a pint in, this is a reasonable enough beverage — and, given that a four-pack costs less than a single of most “craft” lagers available in 16-ounce cans, seems like an even better value. The lingering apple sweetness is probably my least favorite part.
Oct 22, 2021

Reviewed by Mdog from Minnesota

3.29/5  rDev +54.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
From a 24oz silo:

Appearance: Clear gold, huge head.

Smell: Corn, slight chemical note, plus wet rocks.

Taste: Very corny, sweetness all the way, medium feel.

Overall: Finally got around to reviewing this classic malt liquor. It was better than I expected, definitely a step or two above the Steel Reserves and Evil Eyes of the malt liquor world. Nice sweetness without being too sweet, no off or chemical notes in the taste though the nose had a bit of a weird note to it. Not bad!
Sep 06, 2021
Reviewed by RW724U

4.55/5  rDev +113.6%
Been drinking this for years & in NY its labeled at 5.9%. Got a few deuces while visiting Nevada and couldn't figure out why I was wasted after 3? Turns out its 7.5% out there (in cans). Wondered why it tasted a bit more potent! No complaints.
Aug 19, 2021
Reviewed by JohnnyHopps from Indiana

2.04/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5
The label warned that this beer contained corn syrup. That might be the only thing that kept this from tasting like water. There was some carbonation. It might even be refreshing when consumed from a paper bag on a hot day. Still, all I tasted was corn syrup.
Aug 16, 2021

Rated: 3.31 by LXIXME from New Mexico

Aug 08, 2021
Reviewed by md3kcn from North Carolina

2.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25
Purchased as a 7.5% 40 plastic bottle for $1.98 at a drive-thru. Poured into a nonic pint glass.

L - Clear dark gold with a one-finger pale white head that goes away roughly three seconds after the pour.
S - Assorted grain and wet hay. Corn syrup. Slight ethanol.
T - Sweet malts hit you like a bus on this one! A one-dimensional corn vibe throughout. Sugary finish with an obvious alcohol warmth. Surprisingly well-balanced towards the end of the bottle.
F - Light-medium body. Medium carbonation. Gives you an all-over warmth by the end of the bottle. Dangerously smooth.
O - Like other 40s I'm reviewing this week, I've had OE before but haven't really sat down to review it formally and objectively. This brew was with me on some awesome moments of my life. It was there when I lost my virginity. It was there when I saw my first parking lot fight. It was there when 4loko wasn't! With this aside, this isn't a great beer, but it's arguably the best 40. Sweet but relatively well-balanced and with a pretty good "warm" feeling at the end, this is a great brew for under $2.00 that is guaranteed to give you some kind of a buzz without tasting like gasoline. The flavor itself can be compared to a day-old open can of Yuengling - pretty terrible, but not bad at all (if that makes sense). Highly recommend.
Aug 04, 2021
Reviewed by pgm554 from California

1.24/5  rDev -41.8%
Tastes like carbonated maple syrup.
I was at a BBQ in Richmond CA and the homies turned me on to a 40.
To be polite ,I tried it,but man was this stuff bad.
One of those buzz beverages one drinks to catch a wino high at the lowest possible price point.
Aug 03, 2021

Rated: 2.82 by balizz

Jun 09, 2021

Rated: 3.95 by poopyshoes

Jun 05, 2021
Reviewed by NATTYFATTY from New York

3.01/5  rDev +41.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25
A lot of beers are union made and this is one of them. Besides that plus, it's an ok beer. Nice carbonation. Comes in a glass bottle with a twist off top.
Apr 28, 2021

Rated: 3.42 by MatthewJW from Wisconsin

Apr 20, 2021
Rated by Caldwan123 from Iowa

2.48/5  rDev +16.4%
its ok. a cheap buzz. Nothing to buy again.
Apr 15, 2021

Rated: 3.25 by AndrewFord666 from Illinois

Feb 05, 2021
Reviewed by Ptrthrck from Indiana

This did everything a craft IPA does at much less money and no off putting bitterness. If you drink bitter pondwater to look cool with your friends, this is good for when you want an easy buzz while chilling alone. Classic standby, don't give in to the stereotyping. Drink it.
Jan 13, 2021

Rated: 2.68 by Hazey92 from New York

Nov 25, 2020

Rated: 2.25 by Velivolus1 from Vermont

Aug 02, 2020
Reviewed by FBarber from Illinois

2.37/5  rDev +11.3%
Pours a crystal clear bright golden color. Quite effervescent with a thin velvety head that displays excellent head retention. Its actually quite a nice looking beer.

Aroma, well frankly, reminds me of someones breath after they've been drinking beer for a while ... has some notes of sweet grains, light fruity not notes and a stale alcohol note.

Taste has notes of sweat pastry and grains. Although there are some flavors here, its remarkably bland and muted overall. Its got a generic sweetness to it with a dry mildly bitter finish.

The feel is smooth and easy drinking.The carbonation is moderate but bright. There is something about this that coats your mouth and throat - not sure what it is, but I feel it as Im drinking through the can.

Overall this was not something Ill ever pick up again, but hey, at least I can say I tried it ...
Jun 21, 2020

Rated: 2.95 by Dave1999 from North Carolina

May 28, 2020
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 52 out of 100 with 1150 ratings