Olde English 800 | Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800
2.08/5
Poor
Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,062 |  Reviews: 320
2.66/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

2.6/5  rDev +25%

I'd never had any malt liquor before (and I'm nearly 65!), but I finally picked up a bottle of this stuff the other day, 1.14L bottle, 8% ABV, I figured why not, give it a go. I'd heard mostly bad things about malt liquor, so I was curious to find out for myself.

Actually it isn't =that= bad, and I've certainly had regular, strong beers (like Crest Super for example), that taste much worse. I probably wouldn't drink this on a regular basis, as I normally go for IPA's, especially craft beers. What I ended up doing with it, after tasting maybe 4oz by itself, is after pouring one of my IPA's into a 20oz glass, I topped it up with some Olde English. It doesn't alter the flavor of the IPA that much, and it ups the alcohol content a little. So it's become a cheap way to turn a 500ml tin of IPA into a 20oz larger IPA with a bit more punch. This is the first bottle I've bought, and I might keep doing that. But as others have noted, if cash were scarce, it's certainly an acceptable compromise as a replacement for beer one can no longer afford. I haven't seen any 5.9% by the way, only 8% sold here.

2.29/5  rDev +10.1%

Olde English 800 - Started the trip with this, purchased at Vince’s Liquor Store in Baton Rouge, LA. This is what you get in a place like Vince’s. “Hey, what’s a white boy doing here” some bag lady yells as I’m getting back into car. She appeared to be white herself. We drove off wondering what horrors got her to that point in life, how many times had she been robbed, raped, abused and how much of it she’d delt back. Also wonder why there are not any non-alcoholic malt liquors? I think this is kind of racist. Anyway, every beer has its time and place, and Vince’s was the place. The time ideal as well, having driven from Austin that day, seven hours or so, ready to drink just about anything upon arrival at friend and Austin ex-pat’s place. That is a bug zapper in background to deter flies venturing too far from the dumpster. Glad it was a can, to help preserve the precious few hops so they stand a chance to be noticed over the alcohol, which is naturally 8%. Drinking for effect more than flavor, OE puts in an 8 hour day. For this purpose, the value I’d say is much higher than the rankings given. They do you a favor by packing twice the alcohol in so you don’t have to suffer as much.
IG NutkickReviews #oldeEnglish800 #OE #8ball #maltliquor

1.59/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

2.89/5  rDev +38.9%

1.65/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Looks like early morning pee-pee, and doesn't taste, I would surmise, much better. I used to buy quarts of this stuff in college for 99 cents each, and finish two or three at a time. The only thing its good for is a cheap buzz, or nostalgia, or both.

Being a big 40 hands guy myself, I'd recommend putting these down quick until u start gagging. This oughta fuck u up in the head a bit. I recommend drinking competitively with ur peers because it's always funny to watch the light weight in the group let it all out. For example, me and my boys head down to the overhang on the Albertson/Willy park border to put these things to rest. Nothing better than for example, my friend ronan pulling the trigger. Not a gun he's yaking his fucking guts out. Overall 11/10 for putting u in the cerebral palsy state on the ground for a good amount of time. P.S. make sure the pussy who never drinks can help you get home.

1.22/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Pours a light, almost clear golden color. Very little off-white head, dissipates quickly. Smells like sweet corn and wheat... tastes almost the same. Almost like a batch of beer that is close to past it's expiration date. Tastes like a mix of the can, water, and some unbearable sweetness. Aftertaste lingers forever, and that's not very pleasant. Overall, a very big mistake, even for a Malt Liquor. Not very appealing. Avoid.

2.28/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

1.82/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

2.75/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.03/5  rDev +45.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Crystal clear, golden hued body; thick white head leaving sheets of lacing down the glass. Cereal grain and corn aroma. Initial taste impression is water but a bread crust flavor does come out; a little metallic bitterness. Medium body; semi-sweet on the tongue.

After seeing a recent forum post about the "Scottish" connection with OE800 (ref. https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/olde-english-800-representative-of-old-scottish-beer-recipes.542142/#post-5691520), I just had to revisit this beer after several decades (probably the 70s when I last tried it). The 42 ounce plastic bottle didn't offer any favorable first impressions yet the initial pour stunned me. The beer looks damn good! The smell wasn't bad either, just not very impressive. The taste almost rates a 3 or better, yet the aftertaste is just too metallic and artificial. So my overall impression is that this doesn't jive with my nasty memories from decades ago, yet I certainly don't plan on revisiting this beer (except for the high gravity variety -- if I see it and want to review it on a lark). And, no, I still don't get any Scottish connection with this beer...

2.13/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

Type: 16-oz. can
Glass: Clear 15.25-oz. pilsner
From: 5 Star Market & Liquor in La Mesa, Calif..
Price: $1.10
Purchased: Sept. 19, 2017
Consumed: Sept. 19, 2017
Reviewed as: American Malt Liquor
Misc.: 7.5 pct. version; Best by Feb. 5, 2018

Recently was dared to review a King Cobra. Actually did not know that Malt Liquor was reviewable on Beer Advocate. Once I looked it up and saw I was, had to go with it. Once I saw that there were seven (seven!) other Malt Liquors at the next-door market, made it a point to review one each Tuesday until I run out. Typically am against all the big boy beers, but I am breaking that rule for this challenge. Next up was Old English 800, which is the 24th-worst “beer” on Beer Advocate, even worse than King Cobra. Ouch.

Poured a gold clear color with 4-to-5 fingers of rocky white head. Lots of fast-moving bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. Outstanding sporadic foamy lacing. Almost perfect foamy retention. (Sight - 4.25)

Smelled a mushy mix of different stuff. Got corn, honey, grain, wet grass, artificial syrupy malts, buttery malts and a touch of scrambled eggs. Reminded me of a Lite Lager and had me wanting to try it. (Smell - 3.00)

Initial thought on first taste was “this isn’t bad. Different, but not bad.” Second taste had me doing the bitter beer face, shaking my head and scrunching my face a bunch of different ways. Something was not right here, feeling like I needed to dry-heave after each sip. Creamy corn, artificial syrup, boozy Corn Flakes and buttered white bread. (Taste - 1.75)

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Abrupt astringent finish. Got much worse as it warmed. (Feel - 1.00)

This seemed better than King Cobra, but still really bad. (Overall - 1.75)

2.13 | 52 | D

1.56/5  rDev -25%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

4.93/5  rDev +137%

2.2/5  rDev +5.8%

1.25/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

4.25/5  rDev +104.3%

Looks like pee and don't smell much better, but hits the spot if you're dehydrated after a night of partying with some killer emo/indie/metal bands. Best if served cold.

3.1/5  rDev +49%

4.82/5  rDev +131.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look - Kate Upton in a VS babydoll. Sheer to be exact.
Smell - Toni Braxton's hair blowing in the wind.
Taste - Elisha Cuthbert's lips.
Feel - J-Lo's hips.
Overall - Christina Aguilera on Ellen's couch, post motherhood.

LARRRGE!

1.02/5  rDev -51%

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 2.08 out of 5 with 1,062 ratings