Olde English 800 | Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800
2.1/5
Poor
Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 337 | Ratings: 1,100
2.88/5  rDev +37.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A true malt liquor classic. I enjoy this category, and this beer was instrumental in getting into it. It has the typical bready and malty smell and flavor you'd expect from a beer in this category. Not much of a head unless you pour it in a way which forms one. The flavor has a slight bitterness, but nothing too extreme. It is pleasant to drink, but it is better served cold. I don't think this is the best malt liquor out, but it definitely is decent. I think that the reputation of the brand influences what people think of the taste. Give it a try. The abv isn't too high, so unless you're downing a 40, you won't be super drunk. I usually get it in 40 form (actually the stores around me sell it as a 42 oz.), so it would be nice to try it in a can!

3.17/5  rDev +51%

This beer is great. So great. I have looked far and wide for this stuff for a year plus only to find it at the last place I'd expect: an upscale HEB. I was so excited to try it considering it's pretty hard to find around here. The look is purely iconic. No glass for this bad boy, straight out the bottle. Smells like corn and piss, almost that of Corona. But hey, you don't drink this stuff out of a glass, you drink it right out of the bottle, so smell does not matter. Tastes shockingly smooth. Very corny, but not to the point where it's unbearable like that of Miller High Life. It's really good tasting in a super cheap, trashy way. There's something charming about the flavor. Really smooth. Nice rich texture, I could chug this easy. I would say that if I was on a serious beer budget, I would just buy 3 or 4 40s to last me a week and I'm good. An excellent beer, I would give it a higher rating but the smell is pretty awful.

2.3/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's not the worst I've ever had. Enjoyed mostly from a can, as seems appropriate.

Sickening pale yellow. Nose of grass, raw flour, a touch of malt.

Taste is bready, very sweet, with almost undetectable bitterness from something that may or may not be hops. The finish has an unnerving baking powder quality from the carbonation. Otherwise, mouthfeel is smooth and syrupy.

Not the worst in existence

4.02/5  rDev +91.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This was the one of the very first and This is the alcohol beverage that got me into drinking beers. i used to absolutely love it. But now i just cant stand it. but ill never forget those days. Cheers to OE800

4.05/5  rDev +92.9%

What can be said about this wonderful nectar. Many might say oh it's cheap it's not worth it. But let's be honest, the 40 oz is iconic even within the rich. You have to grow some balls to drink this, shit ive chugged 3 and called it a night, now if that don't scream good beer to you go back to drinking I.P.A's cause this hooch will get you to where you're going!!! 40's till I'm 40!

3.66/5  rDev +74.3%

16 ounce can into lager glass, best before 5/2019. Pours fairly crystal clear medium golden yellow color with a 1 finger fairly dense and fluffy off white head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty foamy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of cracker, corn, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light honey, wood, pepper, and herbal/floral/grassy earthiness. Some fruity corn aromas, but not too overwhelming. Okay aromas with pale malt/grains and light-moderate earthy hop notes; with decent strength. Taste of cracker, corn, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light honey, wood, pepper, and herbal/floral/grassy earthiness. Light-moderate herbal, floral, woody, grassy, peppery bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of cracker, corn, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light honey, wood, pepper, and herbal/floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice robustness and balance of pale malt/grains and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance, and no cloying/astringent flavors after the finish. Moderately crisp/clean finishing. Very clean on lager flavors, with minimal fruity/yeasty notes. Light-moderate increasing dryness from lingering bitterness and carbonation. Medium-high carbonation and medium body; with a very smooth, moderately bready/grainy, and fairly sticky balanced mouthfeel that is great. Minimal warming alcohol for 5.9%. Overall this is a nice malt liquor. All around nice robustness and balance of pale malt/grains and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; very smooth, crisp, clean, and pretty refreshing to drink with the mellowly bitter/drying finish. Very clean and nicely rich pils malt/grain showcase, with nice earthy hop presence/balance for the style. Not too overwhelming on adjuncts. A nicely enjoyable offering, and impressive style example as expected of Miller.

2.25/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

OE800, I have, on several occasions doing landscaping while in college drank this from a bottle inside a paper bag. Don't know why, just maybe that's how it should be. Was an ok hot-ass summer day brew. But it has to be ice cold, once it warms game over.

2.04/5  rDev -2.9%

Do-over review of the 7.5% abv version in plastic 42oz format now proudly sold in Oklahoma C-Stores (ding dong the 3.2 law is dead!) The Nutrition facts on the label says that a serving is 5 oz. GMAFB!
Pours to a thin white head that lingers and sporadically laces with some handling. Color is amber-gold and clear.
Aroma is grainy and boozy with some fusel oils in there--almost smells like gasoline. Flavor is sweet, hot, corny and not very special. Finishes sweet. Roughs up the tongue and stings a bit. Hard to drink this unless it is all you can get. Drink ice cold. The bottle had one of those thermometer things that turns blue. If it ain't blue, don't drink it!

4.53/5  rDev +115.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Gold, Thick White Head, and Somewhat Bubbly.
Aroma-Faint and Subtle, Some Malts, Corny, White Breadiness, Low Hoppiness.
Taste- Sweet, Malty, Corny, Bready, and Low Hoppiness.
Mouthfeel- Light-Medium and a Light-Medium Body.
Overall Conclusion- This one is the most Beer Flavored Malt Liquors out there. As most would say "Looks and smells just like beer." Its very plain in the Beer Flavor. Its got a bit more sweetness, heft, and richness to it. A great Malt Liquor from SAB-Miller. Would Recommend.

The size of the bottle, low price and the amount of alcohol are its main appeal. Its brilliant straw with a fizzy head that stays around awhile, mildly sweet with a light cracker taste and some alcohol. the body is light and the beer is fizzy.

If you're on Beer Advocate looking at the score for OE, you deserve to be lied to. 5/5!!

It'll get you drunk enough to write reviews about, for under $3!

2.16/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 24 oz tallboy (99 cents) into a glass stein.

Look - Light straw color. Thick, long lasting head and lacing.

Smell - Sweet malts. Not really any corn smell.

Taste - Sweet, sour, and stale cardboard. Corn isn't as noticeable as many adjunct beers including malt liquors, but definitely there. More hops up front than some malt liquors, e.g. King Cobra. I live in Ohio, so I assume this is the 5.9 abv version based on taste and location, but I'm not 100 percent sure. It's pretty much a "classic" malt liquor taste (like the last malt liquor I reviewed, Schlitz Red Bull).

Feel - Not too much body, not too much carbonation either. Maybe a little flat; contrast with the excessive carbonation of Schlitz Red Bull, my last malt liquor.

Overall - This is okay, but not the legendary malt liquor they make it out to be. Worth a try for 99 cents. It has more taste than some in its category.

2.01/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

6pack of 16oz cans, $5.99 for a sixer. A buck less than a sixer of Montucky ColdSnacks. Such is life.

Look, this is a cheap, crappy beer. Let's not lie to ourselves. This shit sucks.

2.44/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Drank from a 42 ounce plastic bottle. Scores are based on the style.

Look - The gold and red color scheme is great. The logo is classic and immediately recognizable. Liquid is a golden brown with a mild bubbly head.

Smell - A very light sweet malt smell. Surprisingly no noticeable corn like other malt liquors.

Taste - Disgustingly sweet, but no offensive tastes going on.

Feel - Medium body with a slight sparkly carbonation. A little burpy to drink.

Overall - One of the staple malt liquors. Not bad, but far from the best. Out of the big two, I'd rather have Colt 45, but this is passable.

Olde English "800" brand is my favorite malt liquor. The crown on the bottle is fitting. Compared to some of the other malt liquors out there, Olde English is more flavorful and easier to drink. Pairs well with a bag of pizza combos and a long night of trash television.

3.45/5  rDev +64.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Man....I don't get the hate. This should be 3/5 or more. I really think this would score higher if blind tested. The smell and taste is not THAT far off from the average tripel, my favorite beers, and also some of the highest ranked beers. Now ya, the complexity is not quite there and the aftertaste is MEH, but the smell and taste are pretty damn good, and if you factor in the price, I would add another point to the total because this is the KING of getting faded outside of some cheap vodka.

3.64/5  rDev +73.3%

24oz can bb 9/17/18 consumed directly from the can at fridge temp, no ABV indicated on can. My best guess is a golden yellow from the beer around the can lip. Aroma is a sweet corn smell that works for what it is. The taste is really minimal and mostly more sweetish corn and malt. There is a little bitterness in there trying to keep the sweetness from getting out of check. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, well carbonated and totally undry in the finish. They really let the oily/soapy finish roll on this one. A few more days to clean up the fermentation might have done this beer wonders. I've had much worse. Overall, good (for a 24oz canned malt liquor).

1.69/5  rDev -19.5%

Good ol’ OE’s. Taste like trash, smell even worse, but you can’t beat the price point if you’re trying to get drunk and you got $2 and some change in the cup holder. OE will always hold a special place in my heart for many a teenage night I don’t remember

You know what eazy e said it best OE800 cuz that’s my brand. This stuff has such a complex taste it’s smooth a big silky booty and melts your face for so much less the any double ipa. No joke OE tastes good and gets the job done faster then an “undocumented” imergrent. If you don’t try and like this true king of beers you have to be a racist

2.6/5  rDev +23.8%

I'd never had any malt liquor before (and I'm nearly 65!), but I finally picked up a bottle of this stuff the other day, 1.14L bottle, 8% ABV, I figured why not, give it a go. I'd heard mostly bad things about malt liquor, so I was curious to find out for myself.

Actually it isn't =that= bad, and I've certainly had regular, strong beers (like Crest Super for example), that taste much worse. I probably wouldn't drink this on a regular basis, as I normally go for IPA's, especially craft beers. What I ended up doing with it, after tasting maybe 4oz by itself, is after pouring one of my IPA's into a 20oz glass, I topped it up with some Olde English. It doesn't alter the flavor of the IPA that much, and it ups the alcohol content a little. So it's become a cheap way to turn a 500ml tin of IPA into a 20oz larger IPA with a bit more punch. This is the first bottle I've bought, and I might keep doing that. But as others have noted, if cash were scarce, it's certainly an acceptable compromise as a replacement for beer one can no longer afford. I haven't seen any 5.9% by the way, only 8% sold here.

1.65/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Looks like early morning pee-pee, and doesn't taste, I would surmise, much better. I used to buy quarts of this stuff in college for 99 cents each, and finish two or three at a time. The only thing its good for is a cheap buzz, or nostalgia, or both.

Being a big 40 hands guy myself, I'd recommend putting these down quick until u start gagging. This oughta fuck u up in the head a bit. I recommend drinking competitively with ur peers because it's always funny to watch the light weight in the group let it all out. For example, me and my boys head down to the overhang on the Albertson/Willy park border to put these things to rest. Nothing better than for example, my friend ronan pulling the trigger. Not a gun he's yaking his fucking guts out. Overall 11/10 for putting u in the cerebral palsy state on the ground for a good amount of time. P.S. make sure the pussy who never drinks can help you get home.

1.22/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Pours a light, almost clear golden color. Very little off-white head, dissipates quickly. Smells like sweet corn and wheat... tastes almost the same. Almost like a batch of beer that is close to past it's expiration date. Tastes like a mix of the can, water, and some unbearable sweetness. Aftertaste lingers forever, and that's not very pleasant. Overall, a very big mistake, even for a Malt Liquor. Not very appealing. Avoid.

3.03/5  rDev +44.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Crystal clear, golden hued body; thick white head leaving sheets of lacing down the glass. Cereal grain and corn aroma. Initial taste impression is water but a bread crust flavor does come out; a little metallic bitterness. Medium body; semi-sweet on the tongue.

After seeing a recent forum post about the "Scottish" connection with OE800 (ref. https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/olde-english-800-representative-of-old-scottish-beer-recipes.542142/#post-5691520), I just had to revisit this beer after several decades (probably the 70s when I last tried it). The 42 ounce plastic bottle didn't offer any favorable first impressions yet the initial pour stunned me. The beer looks damn good! The smell wasn't bad either, just not very impressive. The taste almost rates a 3 or better, yet the aftertaste is just too metallic and artificial. So my overall impression is that this doesn't jive with my nasty memories from decades ago, yet I certainly don't plan on revisiting this beer (except for the high gravity variety -- if I see it and want to review it on a lark). And, no, I still don't get any Scottish connection with this beer...

2.13/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

Type: 16-oz. can
Glass: Clear 15.25-oz. pilsner
From: 5 Star Market & Liquor in La Mesa, Calif..
Price: $1.10
Purchased: Sept. 19, 2017
Consumed: Sept. 19, 2017
Reviewed as: American Malt Liquor
Misc.: 7.5 pct. version; Best by Feb. 5, 2018

Recently was dared to review a King Cobra. Actually did not know that Malt Liquor was reviewable on Beer Advocate. Once I looked it up and saw I was, had to go with it. Once I saw that there were seven (seven!) other Malt Liquors at the next-door market, made it a point to review one each Tuesday until I run out. Typically am against all the big boy beers, but I am breaking that rule for this challenge. Next up was Old English 800, which is the 24th-worst “beer” on Beer Advocate, even worse than King Cobra. Ouch.

Poured a gold clear color with 4-to-5 fingers of rocky white head. Lots of fast-moving bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. Outstanding sporadic foamy lacing. Almost perfect foamy retention. (Sight - 4.25)

Smelled a mushy mix of different stuff. Got corn, honey, grain, wet grass, artificial syrupy malts, buttery malts and a touch of scrambled eggs. Reminded me of a Lite Lager and had me wanting to try it. (Smell - 3.00)

Initial thought on first taste was “this isn’t bad. Different, but not bad.” Second taste had me doing the bitter beer face, shaking my head and scrunching my face a bunch of different ways. Something was not right here, feeling like I needed to dry-heave after each sip. Creamy corn, artificial syrup, boozy Corn Flakes and buttered white bread. (Taste - 1.75)

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Abrupt astringent finish. Got much worse as it warmed. (Feel - 1.00)

This seemed better than King Cobra, but still really bad. (Overall - 1.75)

2.13 | 52 | D

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 2.1 out of 5 with 1,100 ratings