Olde English 800 | Miller Brewing Co.

Read the review
Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States

Style: American Malt Liquor

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

Reviews: 305 | Ratings: 1,020
4.01/5  rDev +83.9%

Good by itself, great mixed with equal halves orange juice. The hops are calling my name. Every time one of my train hoppin' buddies brings one of these bad boys along, I cave and trade my last lucky strike for it. It puts hair on the chest. Makes ya tough!

look. admittedly, this is cheap beer. but it serves a purpose, and i feel it does its job very well. this is the best 40 money can buy. sure, it's not a triple-fermented ale made by belgian monks who have taken an oath of silence, but that doesn't mean its not enjoyable. this is all some people can afford. and if old e is all they can afford, don't you think they should be able to drink in peace without beer snobs looking down their noses at them? i love a good belgian tripel, but beer is beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Solid golden brown. Very nice if I do say so myself.

S:Smells pretty alright for the malt liquor category, not too strong and a slight pinch to the nostrils if you take a real good whiff.

T: I personally like the taste of Olde E, alot of people like to bash it for being cheap and low grade but I think its a rose amongst weeds in its category.

M: Has a potent and unique taste with just enough bite to put your mind at ease that the buzz will be awesome once achieved.

O: A solid, well rounded, economical and tasty treat for a Friday night with nothing better to do than to throw on some Motorhead and talk shit with your friends.

3.9/5  rDev +78.9%

Cool close to freezing, work out in 75F+ and this becomes my go to beer! KIW ITA RH. 8===D ~o (j) all dat errday. Listen, this shiz cost around sixty seven cents per can an seven point five alcohol by volume. I'm on my third tonight and two hundred and fifty words is way to many.

3.81/5  rDev +74.8%

(review #700 - poured into an English pint)

A: perfectly clear, light piss gold hue... chemical-scum-structured fizzy head, falls to a thin collar... actually leaves some streaks of lace, if you chug

S: cidery lager, maybe a touch cheap champagne-like... not much malt aroma to be had... extremely weak overall, however, not so much off-putting...

T: certainly has a malty base to it, with not as much of the depth of grain flavor stripped away as I might've thought... light corn syrup thread - similar to fake maple syrup (sans maple flavoring)... perhaps a faint newspapery note in the finish... touch of a metallic twang in the aftertaste...

M: fills a bit full at first, but soon washes away mildly sudsy and pretty dang dry... the delicate fusels go right to your head, giving it a slight woozy hum... light-moderate gassy-ness... mild heat flare and mucus-inducing in the backs of the nostrils, if you chug

O: first time I had this I was 16 - swilled it from the bottle like a baby, eyes all waterin'... a friend and I went with this chick he was trying to make out with over to her ex-boyfriend's house to get weed... stayed till 'round 5am, got all dizzied up, I left just as my friend and the chick started goin at it... apparently, the ex woke up and found them together on the couch - fussin' and a cussin' ensued... seemed like it took me hours to finish guzzling that shit - I can vaguely recall closing my eyes and powering the last few ounces down, face glowing red - remember it being more cloying... I guess I'm a fancy beer nerd now and, I must say, this truly ain't half bad for what it is - gotta admit, I was quaffin' away at it!

3.8/5  rDev +74.3%

poured from a 40oz bottle into my Duvel tulip...wait who am i kidding? i drank this bastard straight outta the bottle, wrapped in a brown paper bag as any post-recession crazed, red-blooded american would!

a: straw golden color with a foamy white head. not much else to speak of.

s: sweet malty aroma, slight notes of toasted corn and alcohol. c'mon, its malt liquor; the aroma is not supposed to be bold or pleasant.

t: more sweet malted corn flavor with a decent kick of alcohol. the flavor is definitely stronger in the west coast formula due to the 7.5% ABV. not quite as watery as the east coast version but it still finishes nice and dry as any true malt liquor does.

m: quite watery and boozy. not much malt flavor to cover the alcohol but enough to keep it from being totally undrinkable (in my opinion, of course).

o: this is probably my favorite true malt liquour on the market (no, Rogue's old "daddy's little helper" or Dogfish Head's "Liquor de Malt" do not count as a true malt liquour. sorry.). I'll take this over Colt 40, St. Ides, Mickey's or Cobra any day but Private Stock still might be my favorite. i was shocked to see this has an ABV of 7.5%. i did a bit of research and apparently the west coast gets a stronger version than we do back east. weird.

3.79/5  rDev +73.9%

Ah, Olde English. My first love.

As an ongoing series, I plan to knock out the malt liquor reviews. I will say that I am quite fond of Malt Liquor and will be reviewing TO STYLE, critics be damned.

Served out of the bottle, in a 40 koozie, as the good lord intended.

A- Light, golden honey, not much of a head, but fizzy enough carbonation. Not winning any awards, but a hell of a lot better than others similar to the style.

S- Corn, malty adjunct sweetness, mild cooked vegetables. Not O.E.'s selling point.

T- Much better. Light, crisp, sweet, a tad bit corn-y. Metallic, slightly hopped (but that could just be more metallic taste), not offensive or off-putting. I like it... but I drank enough of this stuff to develop my palate, lol.

M- This is where the mbeer shines. High marks for good carbonation, crisp mouthfeel, and a not-too-lingering taste.

D- High. I can down these like water. Tasty enough, though there are tastier malt liquors, this one had nothing major working against it. A solid package that doesn't dissapoint. I like it.

3.76/5  rDev +72.5%

Beer is yellow in color. Smells like rancid corn. Taste of corn with some sweetness. Light body. Goes down smooth.
This is one of my favorite malt liquors its up there with Magnum and Colt 45.

3.76/5  rDev +72.5%

I was hesitant to try this brew because of the simple fact that it was a malt liquor. I had heard from people that malt liquor is disgusting and should never be consumed by anybody anywhere. But I decided that letting other people tell me what to drink was foolish. so I went to the store, picked up a 40 of OE, and tried it. it looked golden and basically like other domestic beers I have had. The smell was what made me start to think twice about it. it smelled almost exactly like a skunks ass. I slowly put the bottle to my lips and tipped it back a little. Not bad, I thought, so I took a big swill and swished it around in my mouth a little. It was the best cheap brew I had ever had. I quickly finished it in about 25 minutes and had a good strong buzz from it. The only thing I think Miller could improve about OE is the smell. other than that its a great cheap brew.

3.72/5  rDev +70.6%

Preface: We are supposed to review within a given style. With that in mind...

About 2 years ago, I went through a phase where I drank 40s of malt liquor exclusively. During that period, I had many different kinds of 40. In fact www.40ozmaltliquor.com was my favorite page before I found this one. But I digress.

As far as 40s go, it doesn't get much better than this. This is the standard by which all others are judged. I can truely say that this doesn't actually taste "bad". It is very smooth with a solid malt backing. There is a slight bitterness, but it doesn't taste like it is caused by hops. Overall, there is just nothing like swilling down a 40 of OE and listening to some ATCQ.

3.71/5  rDev +70.2%

Appearance - Pale, clear gold. Sudsy head with some staying power. Leaves a little lacing. Good for style.

Smell - Light adjuct odor. Sweet scent with no sign of hops.

Taste - Quite sweet and quite dry. You can taste the alcohol, but its not a bad as many others. Pretty high quality if one is judging, as one is in this category, simply on inoffensiveness.

Mouthfeel - Watery. Carbonation present not overpowering.

Drinkability - Probably the best of the malt liquors. Faint praise, but praise indeed. This stuff isn't as poor as most in the category, and is actually quite unobtrusive. That is until it kicks you in the ass.

3.7/5  rDev +69.7%

This stuff sits inside the 40 ounce bottle looking coppery and dangerous. Upon cracking the top, the fizzle escapes. As the bottle is hoisted to my mouth, the carbonation bubbles whip up into a tingly fury. This looks like an average malt liquor.

The smell is rather putrid and skunky. It carries a faint sulphur and charcoal scent atop the funky malt liquor aroma of malted liquor. Burnt malt dominates. It smells about average for a malt liquor.

The taste is shockingly sweet and smooth. The neck of the bottle holds a pretty decent flavor. After a fair number of pulls from the conspicuously large container, my spit and natural mixing processes cause a drift in the flavor. It then becomes a more alcoholic and bittered liquid. You know what, this is some good malt liquor. I am one malt liquor picker. I actually would choose this over a small few micro selections that I have tested out. Small and few being the key operatives. I am rating this with the style in mind, and apart from Schlitz Blue Bull, this 8 ball is an extraordinary example of good old heavy duty American made malt liquor. When I am looking to get into the magical realm of cheap mood alteration, this mofo is the golden ticket. I feel like a high school kid again with each successive tug from the mammoth missile of glass. After I finish the corn juice in the last swallow, I have an immense feeling of accomplishment.

Mouthfeel is somewhat syrupy and thick. Stingy bubbles remain throughout the bottle adding to the mouthfeel.

Drinkability is good for the style. I had no trouble sinking the 8 ball. Exercise caution after drinking 2 jugs. Things can get foggy.

3.65/5  rDev +67.4%

24 oz. can poured into a pint glass. A rare visit to the Malt Liquor world I figured I'd see what this beverage is all about. Pours your standard clear straw in color, perhaps a bit more golden than many a Macro brew. Shows a better than average cap and lacing as well.

Nose is grainy and with a hint of citric hop to it. Corn notes are largely absent, emerging somewhat as the beer warms a bit along with some yeast notes.

Taste is slightly sweet but with no other defining characteristics to speak of. Perhaps again a hint of citric malt. Feel is creamy and with a bright carbonation which keeps a surface cap throughout the pour.

Not having a reference point for the style per se, I think this beer drinks fairly well and doesn't seem to deserve its bad rap. Certainly more enjoyable than an Adjunct Lager. My can was firmly carbonated and offered a notably better than anticipated experience.

3.65/5  rDev +67.4%

Drank straight from the 40 ounce bottle. Appearance was golden yellow. Strong scents of corn, rice, sort of a sweet smell. Lots of flavor corn, malt extracts, no real hop flavors. Mouthfeel is smooth, very easy to drink. Would I reach for another one? Yes.

3.64/5  rDev +67%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I can only speak for the can but this beer is alot better than scored here. I generally hit the Asian deli in Mayfair, Philadelphia after I pick up my girls on Friday night. Just the one 16oz is enough, and I call this my hood beer (not that Mayfair is that bad of a neighborhood). This is actually better (and way less expensive at a $1.35 can) than alot of mediocre craft Ive had.

Pretty golden to yellow color, pale, nice fluffy cotton candy head. Nice malty aroma, no off smells with a little fruity presence. Really good taste, nicely malted, hints of apple and pear (my preferred flavor profile for lagers, I guess a malt liquor is a lager) even a little hops noted. Crisp, clean, refreshing, no off tastes, very smooth easy drinking yet packs a nice little punch.

I look forward to and enjoy this beer every Friday night, and really, what else matters?

3.63/5  rDev +66.5%

Well, Olde English 800 is one of the mildest malt liquors available, and has a relatively low (5.9%) alcohol level. It has a thick, white head, lots of lacing, and higher-than-usual carbonation (for this genre). Aroma is faint, but very grainy (corn). Appearance is yellow and clear. The taste is more American-style lager than the harsh, cloying presentation one usually encounters with the malt liquor style (and which appeals to me). Mouth feel is heavy and filling. Overall, I really like OE 800, and it is a classic. NOTE: only drink this out of the can as the clear bottle allows light to cause spoilage.

3.63/5  rDev +66.5%

Appearance: looks like room temperature piss

Smell: Smells like oily greasy sidewalk

Taste: tastes like ghetto juice

Mouthfeel: feels like grits

Drinkability: After you chug one down, you always have room for another!

Don't take my review the wrong way, "Old Gold" is a traditional part of my beer drinking life. I have consumed more of these 40's than probably any other beer on the planet. For a price tag under 2.50 this is a no brainer. Party at my house, bring some OE

3.54/5  rDev +62.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Olde English 800 brewed by Miller Brewing Co. This brew is a malt liquor and it pours out a nice golden color with a nice light white head. Olde English 800 has an ABV of 5.9%. This brew has the look and smell of most malt liquors. The smell is sweet, with grains and malts. Nothing special but nothing bad. This brew has a lot carbonation. The taste is smooth and crisp for being a malt liquor. You get a hint of sweetness, but it is not over powering. This brew goes down nice. Mouth feel is nice too, nothing bad about this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3.5 out of 5. I will pick this brew up again.

3.45/5  rDev +58.3%

I'm a huge fan of malt liquor, and Olde English doesn't disappoint. This was my favorite beer, albeit at a lowpoint of my life. It has a strong citrus malt flavor along with sweet grains, and it smells of malt along with a metallic smell. The taste of it is pretty thick with a strong sweet grain and malt flavor. The mouth feel is pretty strong because it does get rather foamy which leaves a strong aftertaste.

3.44/5  rDev +57.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours clear deep gold with a fair white head and amazing lacings. Aroma is malty and some corniness. Taste is very malty, bready, some wine like qualities, and just a hint of hop bitters. These products seem to be all about the malts. In my amateur explorations of the genre I think the best tasting MLs are at or below 6% abv. The rest develop a following for the easy drinkability and the effects on the brain. This brew is slightly in between the two extremes. Decent taste for the style and a good amount of alcohol. Not one I plan on having again unless getting drunk quickly is the objective. You can taste the Miller family resemblance as it reminds me of a Miller High Life that has more malts added until the 7.5% abv is achieved.

Edit 4/29/2014. I wanted to make clear we get a 7.5% OE 800 in Oregon. It is not labeled "HG" either. From a 24 ounce can.

3.43/5  rDev +57.3%

Pours the typical malt liquor way. Slightly dark golden with a thing ring of bubbles. Typical corny/grainy smell and a hint of burnt veggies. Sweet tasting and not overly grainy. Lot of corn in the flavor, but this one is really smooth. Mouthfeel is surpisingly not sticky, considering the abv, yet it still holds firm in the mouth like a higher gravity malt liquor. Highly drinkable and a nice change from Steel Reserve. I think I've found my new favorite malt liquor.

3.43/5  rDev +57.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Olde English is royalty amongst malt liquor 40s. Its light-amber coloration, hi-test corn-blessed constitution, and overall appeal are second to none in the malt liquor game. Enough "slummin' w. da homiez" bullshit; either drink this, or don't. No need to mock the poor in your poor attempt to cop a buzz. Olde English.. it might not boast the 'imported taste' of Private Stock, but it does have 33 crowns on the label. I counted.

3.42/5  rDev +56.9%

Serving type plastic 40 oz bottle, with a football style grip.

Appearance, the beer is a light golden color. Just enough to obscure anything viewed through the bottle.

Smell Is Malty And Almost Metallic.

Taste follows the smell quite nicely, I do detect a subtle banana flavor like a hefe, but very light on the tail end

Smooth as can be

Overall a perfect malt beverage. If you are looking for a world class beer, stay away. No hops or sour to speak of, but for an American Malt Beverage, this is amazing and it gets better after each sip.
Not a big fan of the new plastic bottles, but I feel like it would hurt less to get hit by one of these.
Seek out the glass vintage, it seems to taste better.

3.35/5  rDev +53.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is definitely not an "awful". It is very drinkable...not too bad. After seeing the gutter ball ratings this beer had, I went down to the 7-eleven, tonite, and bought a bottle of Olde English for 3 and a half bucks. Cracked that shit and drank a good, not great, but an all around decent beer. You can't drink this beer and expect the Ferrari experience....know that you are not driving a Ferrari, but a station wagon...expect that and you will probably enjoy this beer. Nice yellow color with a pleasing flavor and taste, nothing distracting here.

3.27/5  rDev +50%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.25

I don't understand why this beer has so many negative views. For 7 bucks I can get a 12 pack. That's better than most other brands that range from 8 to 12 bucks.

The taste is like good old carbonated water with a bit of a frothy golden feel to it. Slightly fruity but easy going down.

I know people enjoy their craft selection but com on we drink this stuff to feel good. Argue all you want about why you drink beer but honestly we all drink it for the same reason to varying degrees. For the price the quality of this beer is fairly decent.

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.