Olde English 800 | Miller Brewing Co.

Read the review
Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States

Style: American Malt Liquor

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

Reviews: 305 | Ratings: 1,020
1.06/5  rDev -51.4%

Reviewed from notes. Drank on 10/22. Split with others.

Straw yellow with a small head with poor retention. Looks very unappealing. Smells of cooked corn and veggies. Why did I agree to have some of this?

Tastes like cooked corn, veggies, and there is a metallic taste which I could do without. This is really bad. Why did I waste my time on this?

High carbonation, harsh to drink, just complete and total swill. Don't waste your time. Stay away from this one.

1.1/5  rDev -49.5%

Oh god where to begin. First of all this beer is on my blacklist. I had two of these in one night that I will never remember, woke up in the morning and puked six times. What I do remember though is that there is nothing good about this beer, not even good enough to get drunk on.

I don't care how cheap this is, I wouldn't drink this again if it was given to me. I would rather piss on a turd, blend it, microwave it and eat it! Avoid this beer at all costs. The name is deceiving, there is nothing Olde about this beer, and there is nothing English about it. The price tag may seem attractive, but so is a cheap hooker who ends up giving you herpes - OE800 is no different (yes I probably got herpes from drinking this shit).

1.11/5  rDev -49.1%

Almost a four finger head with good clinging lace. Color is a 6 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is bad, much like rotten corn and wet oats. Taste is harsh, cooked corn and malt. Mouthfeel is bad, not much body and a very dry feeling on my upper palate. I am sure the beer was made for one thing. A cheap drunk. I guess after the first 24 oz you could drink another with no problem because your taste buds would be numb.

1.11/5  rDev -49.1%

About time I get my malt liquor reviews in. These may be repetitive because I am not an expert in the style.

40 oz of course

Fizzy white head. Color is a clear pale golden yellow.

Aroma: malts and alcohol. Corn. Metallic flavors. Very bland.

Taste: Pretty much the same. Bready malts and cardboard staleness. Corn. Off flavors all around.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied, medium carbonation. Grainy and chewy. Ends bland.

Overall, not something I ever want to drink again.

1.12/5  rDev -48.6%

It's fitting that the picture of this beer on the site is of an empty bottle, because you should never go near this liquid. If you want to live, that is.

I could buy a case of this shit for like 18 bucks at the gas station at my college, which I did a few times.

It's yellow, like urine. I didn't pour it out, because it was taped to my wrists. I would've looked like a dumbass if I had poured it out. Because I didn't look stupid with them taped to my wrists, obviously.

Smells kinda like corn, but mostly like sweat.

Unless you have an iron stomach, you can't drink this beer fast enough, which means it will unfortunately warm up. Might as well end your life. This beer is utterly ATROCIOUS as it warms up- tastes like stale cereal that's been left in muddy ditch that a homeless person with Lupus just peed in. Oh dear lord.

I guess it's light bodied, wasn't really paying attention. It seems well carbonated. Not even a little bit drinkable.

When you stare into the abyss, sometimes the abyss stares back into you. Or something.

1.12/5  rDev -48.6%

Served in standard pint glass

A: Looks like corn colored carbonated water. White head with some lacing.

S: Quite dirty and grainy. Unappealing

T: BAAAD. Corn, cereal.

M: See taste.

D: Get drunk beer only. Not a drink I will be returning too on purpose

1.12/5  rDev -48.6%

I'm writing this from memory lane, as I decided to buy a 32 ouncer to relive some teenage memories. I live in Florida now, but I recall drinking 40 ouncers back then. They used to sell a 64 ounce bottle of OE (yikes) that was so large the bottle had a handle. Yeah. A handle.

Memory lane was paved poorly. God, this is a nasty brew. The color is visible in the bottle (you don't pour this into a glass), and it looks like how it will leave your system: as urine.

Taste: If you drink it at ice-cold temperature, it's fine. At cold temperature or less, it tastes like it looks.

Just an awful, awful beer. When I have children, and see them try and drink this like I did when I was their age, I won't say a word. They'll learn like I did---this is just bad, bad, stuff.

1.13/5  rDev -48.2%

The Big Nasty. Don't drink 3 of these in a night, or you'll wake up next to something regretable. Anyways, looks and smells like human liquid waste.

Taste is just alcohol and yellow beer. Mouthfeel, something, rice or corn wallows around. Kinda drinkable once you get a little tipsy and play some Too $hort.

1.14/5  rDev -47.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Some people like it but I think it is God awful. Who knows what is all in it and it tastes like play-doh. Count me out. There's a lot of other better cheap crap out there.

1.15/5  rDev -47.2%

I was recently in the liqour store with $5 and wanted to relive my college days so I decided to pick up some Olde E. What can I say that hasn't already been said about his terrible beer. It tastes like metal, corn, and stink. When I drink it, I want to get it down as soon as possible, no foam at all, with this beer. Same piss color that is know in this beer. Man stay clear of this one, only for the faint of heart, but it does catch up with you, I call this one the creeper.

1.16/5  rDev -46.8%

A- Kind of a dirty brown-amber color.

S- Smells like skunky yeast.

T- I only tasted this stuff because it was gaming nite and one of my buddies bought some. I figured what the hell, why not try some? It was pretty bad, it tasted like coors light with stale french fries in it.

D- It is not smooth at all, you gotta force this stuff down.

1.21/5  rDev -44.5%

S - 24 oz can, didnt notice the freshness date. Car giveaway ad on back of can, or maybe thats the front of the can I dont know.

A - Looks like your average macro, yellow with many bubbles scurrying to the surface. Fizzy head that furiously leaves like a soda.

S - Like aluminum. Rotten smells come forth as well, maybe cheap malt. This is pretty unpleasant. Had me saying "What the hell is that smell?!?!?!"

T - Ughhh. Metallic and extremely carbonated. Hardly beer at all. Tasted like there was a hint of vodka, or maybe that was just the horrific burning from the huge carbonation factor. Little malt flavor.

M - Overly fizzy and leaves the mouth and palate in extreme haste.

D - Yikes. I literally almost vomited on my last gulp of this horrendous beer. Avoid at all costs, believe me you arent missing anything.

1.22/5  rDev -44%

The look of this beer is very crappy looking, almost urine like in terms of appearance. The smell of it is difficult to describe, but I would say that it is generally very flat, which is reflected in it's taste. The taste isn't exactly flat however, it's a horrid mixture of off flavors that makes it very difficult to drink. It doesn't even have all that high of an alcohol content, which is really all that it advertises itself as. Six percent doesn't really even qualify as high gravity in my opinion.

1.24/5  rDev -43.1%

Reviewed from notes.

A. Bright translucent yet dark pee yellow in color with a brief fizzle for a head that falls apart in less than half a minute and leaves no lacing whatsoever.

S, T. Large amounts of metal, partially spoiled corn, lesser amounts of cardboard and fusel alcohols. A tiny twang of generic hops that are also partially spoiled.

M. Thin, watery, fizzy fluff. Nasty metallic aftertaste just keeps going and going like the Energizer Bunny.

Why is this malt liquor so much more ingrained in pop culture than all the other malt liquors? I tried this brew with the intention of seeking out the answer to this riddle but all I am left with is more questions. I have decided that I am content to never know the answer to these questions. Looking into the abyss only once is enough for me.

1.24/5  rDev -43.1%

Appearance: Actually, not that bad. Bright golden sunflower color with a creamy white head. Poor retention, wispy lacing.

Smell: Ugh. Cooked peas, corn, and broccoli (DMS?), and that's about it. What a disquieting aroma.

Taste: Sweet corn, honey, and bile. This is truly offensive. I just wish I could enter something less than 1 for this field.

Mouthfeel: Not bad, I suppose. Not too fizzy and fairly clean.

Drinkability: Thank god I only paid a buck fifty for this. I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it.

1.25/5  rDev -42.7%

One of the worst Malt Liquors I've ever drank. It poured a medium golden color with a small fizzy head that faded as soon as it came. The smell was of a nasty sourness and grain. The taste was way too sweet and nasty. This is a cheepy that I will never be picking up again. The High Gravity version is much better in compairison.

1.26/5  rDev -42.2%

Started out drinking this prior to being of age, drank a decent amount of it actually. I once dropped a full forty on my garage floor and the smell was lethal. Haven't touched the stuff since.

1.28/5  rDev -41.3%

This was on sale at the LCBO for $3.50. Since I'm also buddies with most of the people their, they sold it to me for a toonie, rather surprised I was buying low quality beer. I told them I hadn't tried it, and they accepted that as a good answer. Since this is malt liquor, I drank straight from the bottle. Can't comment much on appearance except for what I could see through the glass. Little browner than a Colt 45. When swished, some foam would appear that would soon quickly disappear. Smelled alot of corn, cheap malt and something acidic. Tasted very grainy and sweet. Hey, is this candy? It is that cloyingly sweet. Shitty mouthfeel. Too much cheap malt texture with a corn field. Drinkable for drunks and whores. Undrinkable for me.

1.3/5  rDev -40.4%

Just finishing college and having a lot of experince of horrible beer and esp. malt beer, this is prob my favorite, still it ranks low compared of the full flavors that are out there, if one has to drink a malt beer, then def stay away from this, its awefull

1.3/5  rDev -40.4%

Appearance: Good head with some retention. The beer has a terrible copper color

Smell: This beers only smell is metallic. It's heavier on the malts than the hops.

Taste: This beer is mainly bitter and salty. It isn't very flavorful and it doesn't finish well. It leaves a dry aftertaste in the back of my throat. This beer is built poorly like a slackers weekend soapbox derby project. I feel like somebody just dumped the ingredients into a metal pot and went to catch a smoke. There is no love for beer in this product. It's just there to get drunk on. Olde English is one of the worst beers in the American macro malt liquor category

Mouthfeel: Slippery and watery. It doesn't have any body and I am forcing myself to swallow it. This beer is flat out of the can and doesn't have any carbonation. I suppose this is a trait of High Gravity beer, unfortunately carbonation might be the only thing that makes this beer drinkable

Drinkability: This beer isn't drinkable. Its unpleasant and leaves a terrible aftertaste. Avoid this beer.

1.3/5  rDev -40.4%

I have this wierd addiction to having some schwill now and again just to keep things grounded. On my way back from the hollywood bowl I needed some malt liquor so this was the pick. 40oz'er served in a brown paper bag. smelled like corn soaked in sugar and roasted on an open flame. Tasted very similair except take out the open flame. Sugar and Corn. Drink this fast as it is sewer material as it gets warm. You can tell this is a highly sugar based beer. not reccomended except when hidden in a brown paper bag.

1.33/5  rDev -39%

If you hate yourself...

Let's get straight to it- this is terrible stuff. Opening up the clear bottle the force carbonation dissipates quickly. The smell is acrid and nauseating, of corn and carrots(?)

Taste is a weak and anemic malt- like high-fructose corn syrup beer-soda and then a vomit-inducing amount of alcohol. That is the flavor. Sweet then alcohol.

I would only recommend this stuff if (a) your wife left you or (b) you lost your job and either way just need something to kill the pain and not cost a lot.

1.34/5  rDev -38.5%

First off a skunk aroma with strong adjunct. Not much to like in that.
Extremely clear. Big full white head. Golden yellow.
Quotes from the gallery that shared this.
"Tastes better than it smells"
"Not as bad as I thought or remembered"
From the song Ballad of Larry "Prozac for the poor"
"Tastes like when my neighbor hits a skunk with a combine"
No hop flavor and bitterness to cut sweetness only. A little dryness.
Water thin and ample carbonation.
A lark we had it, only a lark would make it return.

1.36/5  rDev -37.6%

OE800. Ghetto juice. I didn't get the right presentation because I didn't get a 40 of this, just a can.

A - Coppery yellow. Actually a bit of lacing and head retention. the color is somehow too fresh pee-like to be appealing to me.

S - discordance. Citric and nasty metallic. other than that, there are subtle grains and corn.

T - Gross watery weirdness. Nothing is complimentary, just harsh grainy flavors all clamoring over one another for your attention. it's like a fight in my mouth. Maybe that's why this beer is a precursor for so many ghetto brawls.

M - Watery. harsh carbonation.

D - I don't like this at all. I never will drink this again.

1.38/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Forget it... I don't care how many times this beer is mentioned in rap songs... Wouldn't drink this brew again if it was the only alcoholic drink offered at a party... actually ended up getting pretty nauseous after downing a 40 of this back in college... A lot of alcohol for your buck at 7.50% for a $1.99... Appearance is below mediocore and the smell is awful... not trying to sound like a beer snob, but those with class would avoid a hefty malt liquor like this unless for some reason you are a fan of this particular style... Mouthfeel was less than awful and the only upside of this brew is that once you made it past half the bottle, the other half goes down a bit easier...

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.