Olde English 800 | Miller Brewing Co.

awful
awful
Read the review
Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

Reviews: 305 | Ratings: 1,020
1.76/5  rDev -19.3%

Old E , what a classic party beer from Miller Brewery. Havint drinked this stuff for about 3 years but I can still recall all the facts about it

Fat 40oz beer , with a golden/pee appearance isnt the best looking better but thats not what its known for.

Smell almost exactly like miller highlife, dull/pee smell that is standable somedays.

Taste is alright only after you have down a couple of bottles. Mouthfeel is really bad I dont think I could bare to taste this again for awhile.

Drinkability on the other hand is the best part, if you can ignore the smell and taste then you sure have found your beer. Probably around $2.?? for a fat 40 oz. So if your cheap then you'll dig this brew for sure.

So, I actually started my drinking career with better beers, and it wasn't until just recently that I had the joy and opportunity to try a malt liquor. At a halloween party, it was the only thing available.

Strong pee yellow with white head.

little to no aroma, possible alcohol.

Huge caramel malts with sweetness upfront and sweetness at the end. No trace of hops or bitterness to speak of, just sweet grain. Huge hit of rough alcohol diminishes after each sip, as you get more and more obliterated.

watery.

The fusel alcohols in this beer not only get you drunk faster, but more drunk, with more nausea. I was so ill after drinking this, never again. I'm bringing my own beer next time.

2.85/5  rDev +30.7%

Served the classic way--out of a 40oz bottle. Definitely resembles urine in both smell and appearance, with a pungently bland smell dominating the nose. Taste isn't terrible, its the kind of thing you'd get really used to after many sips, and the alcohol is such that if you want to let loose for a night, this is the way to go. Very little lingering taste or mouthfeel so it goes down easy and facilitates many more. Everyone needs a night with a beer like this, and at 2.50 the price can't be beat! (I realize there are MUCH better beers out there, but as far as malt liquor goes this is pretty good.) Enjoy!

2.62/5  rDev +20.2%

This is the normal run of the mill 40 ounce malt liquor, its got a pretty bad unrefined taste, a bit of that dirty sweetness and its rather harsh.Having said that its a 40 and the main purpose of 40s is to get you slammed when your too poor to get anything else... its swill but its still a classic among 40z.

3.71/5  rDev +70.2%

Appearance - Pale, clear gold. Sudsy head with some staying power. Leaves a little lacing. Good for style.

Smell - Light adjuct odor. Sweet scent with no sign of hops.

Taste - Quite sweet and quite dry. You can taste the alcohol, but its not a bad as many others. Pretty high quality if one is judging, as one is in this category, simply on inoffensiveness.

Mouthfeel - Watery. Carbonation present not overpowering.

Drinkability - Probably the best of the malt liquors. Faint praise, but praise indeed. This stuff isn't as poor as most in the category, and is actually quite unobtrusive. That is until it kicks you in the ass.

3.7/5  rDev +69.7%

This stuff sits inside the 40 ounce bottle looking coppery and dangerous. Upon cracking the top, the fizzle escapes. As the bottle is hoisted to my mouth, the carbonation bubbles whip up into a tingly fury. This looks like an average malt liquor.

The smell is rather putrid and skunky. It carries a faint sulphur and charcoal scent atop the funky malt liquor aroma of malted liquor. Burnt malt dominates. It smells about average for a malt liquor.

The taste is shockingly sweet and smooth. The neck of the bottle holds a pretty decent flavor. After a fair number of pulls from the conspicuously large container, my spit and natural mixing processes cause a drift in the flavor. It then becomes a more alcoholic and bittered liquid. You know what, this is some good malt liquor. I am one malt liquor picker. I actually would choose this over a small few micro selections that I have tested out. Small and few being the key operatives. I am rating this with the style in mind, and apart from Schlitz Blue Bull, this 8 ball is an extraordinary example of good old heavy duty American made malt liquor. When I am looking to get into the magical realm of cheap mood alteration, this mofo is the golden ticket. I feel like a high school kid again with each successive tug from the mammoth missile of glass. After I finish the corn juice in the last swallow, I have an immense feeling of accomplishment.

Mouthfeel is somewhat syrupy and thick. Stingy bubbles remain throughout the bottle adding to the mouthfeel.

Drinkability is good for the style. I had no trouble sinking the 8 ball. Exercise caution after drinking 2 jugs. Things can get foggy.

1.3/5  rDev -40.4%

I have this wierd addiction to having some schwill now and again just to keep things grounded. On my way back from the hollywood bowl I needed some malt liquor so this was the pick. 40oz'er served in a brown paper bag. smelled like corn soaked in sugar and roasted on an open flame. Tasted very similair except take out the open flame. Sugar and Corn. Drink this fast as it is sewer material as it gets warm. You can tell this is a highly sugar based beer. not reccomended except when hidden in a brown paper bag.

2.23/5  rDev +2.3%

I'm not sure how long Olde English 800 has been brewed, but it seems to me that I've seen it on the shelves for decades at least. The theme for Malt Likkapalooza II is the old tried and true (this beer) vs. the brash upstart (Eagle Malt). The bottles look identical, as do the screwtops. For that matter, so does the beer within each bottle. Let's find out how they differ when the other senses are brought into play.

Clear cornmeal yellow with one line of rapidly rising bubbles in the exact center of the glass. The eggshell white head looks better and persists longer than the heads on most cheap beer. The rumpled, pitted surface eventually works its way downward and deposits a meager amount of sudsy lace in its wake.

I can't get over how even the most maligned malt liquor has a less offensive nose than a standard macro lager from BMC. Something to do with corn vs. rice as an adjunct? While it isn't a nose that deserves praise, not even a little, it isn't bad either. It's grainy and slightly musky without a trace of fruitiness or floralness.

OE 800 tastes like most malt liquors... until mid-mouthful when the flavor develops an odd, candyish sweetness that reminds me of corn syrup-soaked Wheaties. It isn't mouthfilling in intensity, the beer is much too thin for that, so even though it's mildly unpleasant, it's still drinkable (caveat: while cold).

The mouthfeel is actually closer to medium than it is to light. There's a slight viscousness (again, corn syrup comes to mind) that allows it to hold its structure throughout and not descend into wateriness. The sprightly carbonation is holding its own as well and keeps the mouthfeel from becoming as flat as the flavor.

Olde English 800 brings to mind the beautiful, pastoral English countryside of old, while The Eagle makes one think of rugged, individualistic, red-white-and-blue America. Only kidding. These are two simple bottles of beer that were brewed for one purpose and one purpose only: inebriation. OE 800 is the superior product, but I caution the reader that 'superior' is a strictly relative term.

1.95/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass, the head rises rapidly with the consistency of creamy dish washing soap suds; egg-white white. The body is pale gold and surely you can conjure up the apt metaphor here without me having to do it for you. Smell: corn flakes, wet newspaper, old and brown apple cores. Taste: puckering sweetness upfront, backed up nicely by the viscous mouthfeel (this is not a beer to drink at a temperature that is anything less than cold), pursued by a peppery hop bitterness, very slight and in the background; simple sugary malt sweetness dominates the taste. Aftertaste, some alcohol heat -- felt in the throat and gut -- and just that sweetness fading out like so much sugary apple juice. Mouthfeel: a few steps away from having the texture of loose mucous.

I'm working off of memory on this one; I can't guarantee that I'll actually drink this again, but if I did it would purely be for the sake of deliberate beer advocacy.
I tried this as a teenager and gagged then.
My taste buds and appreciation for tastes have developed since then and I can only imagine wanting to rate this all zero's.
Urine is all that comes to mind with this "brew".
Well, headache and hangover also come to mind.
Avoid, avoid AVOID!
Please!

2.08/5  rDev -4.6%

I know, I know, I should be drinking this out of a 40 oz. bottle in a paper bag, whatever. I did that when I was a young college drunk but now I'm older and I drink my OE from stemware.

Pours a medium straw yellow with a fizzy, almost white head. Nose is nutrasweet over cornflakes, with a slight metallic twang, and no detectable hop bitterness. Taste starts with faintly sweet cereal malt, with a burgeoning powdery smarties candy edge. Light cardboard throughout and minimal hop bitterness and flavor. Slightly sweet in the finish. Not poisonous, but I remember why I stopped drinking this stuff!

2.53/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours a piss yellow color with very large head that fades but stays there till the beer is gone. Smell is like all the other mass produced beers out there. Taste is very bland, but the mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth. The best part of the beer actually. The aftertaste is pretty good too. This beer is so-so, but alot better than I expected for a beer in 40.

1.8/5  rDev -17.4%

I have been told that this brew will give you "rhythm and soul." This may or may not be true, but as far as foties go, this one is in the mid range. Clear bottle, piss yellow substance. Taste and smell cause you to make some funny faces. There are sicker foties on the market, but perhaps there are better ones as well. If you are really looking for this type of beer, it isnt the worst; if you think you are buying the next great beer, think again

1.92/5  rDev -11.9%

This brew doesn't deserve a full-fledged review. Olde English is simply a way to get drunk, discounted. With a case being only $22, you've got 480 oz of "premium" malt liquor, at 7.5% ABV.

It's golden-coppery, and smells of sugary grains. There's not much hop presence, only the scent of alcohol. As for taste: malty, metallic, and unabashedly alcoholic. It's tough to guzzle 40 oz of this, as it warms and tastes even worse.

Even so, I have a love for OE. I first drank it last summer, and I've had it often since. It's quite funny to chug out of such a big bottle. Pair it with fried chicken (no joke) for a really good time.

2.62/5  rDev +20.2%

I picked this up to slum it and reset my palate if you will.

Doesn't look too bad, decent head and ok lacing with a nice amber color.

Smells like crap... yuck!

Taste is wheaty... like soggy shredded wheat with a cheerio aftertaste. Just like cereal.

Goes down ok

Not ot drink really... but the 7.5% has one hell of a kick.

2.93/5  rDev +34.4%

Olde English 800....is this a barleywine? ;-)

I picked this up as a reminder of the insane crap I used to drink, and actually enjoy.

Appearance: clear straw/amber color, vigorous fluffy head that rapidly recedes to nada.

Smell: skunk, cloyingly sweet malt, grass clippings

Taste: flat grain, cheap cloying sweetness, cooked corn, faint bitterness.

Mouthfeel: slick, goes down easy enough.

As little as there is to this beer, and as negative as the review may seem I still think this is one of the top malt liquors out there. I have consumed more of this than I care to admit back in the day. Goes down easy, for all the trashy liquor it contains, you do the math.

2.28/5  rDev +4.6%

Well I have to say... There's a darn good reason why this stuff is cheap! I had a 40, and I had to commit the ultimate beer sin... pouring out half of it... The first half of the bottle was OK, but by the second half, I had to really struggle to drink it.. My standard arguments like "I paid money for this" really failed to work... It certainly smells rather gross too... It feels alright in your mouth, at least until it gets bitter... It's pretty sweet for malt liquor, not a good thing in my opinion... I personally prefer Schlitz Malt Liquor... I think it would taste MUCH better if I had just slammed the 40, but alas, I did not.

1.8/5  rDev -17.4%

24 oz. bomber can given to me by my fellow college friend Pete who swears by this stuff...thanks Pete you shouldn't have (REALLY) but anyways on to the review.

Appearance-I can't believe I just poured this stuff out into a pint glass....murky blonde color, a half inch of foam that slowly dissapears.

Smell-nothing really, fairly clean except for the obvious ALCOHOL ambush scent. I think I may be buzzed already...just kidding!

Taste-can you say sugar? Really sweet, powerful alcohol hits you immediately, nothing else really to speak of, sort of hard to put down.

Mouthfeel-bland, too syrupy sweet, like somebody just poured liquid sugar over alcohol.

Drinkability-go for it, it'll get you drunk so just drink it quick and don't expect to enjoy it

Overall-while this may be the "standard" for malt liquors as i have heard (what a bloody joke) Olde English is the same as any other malt liquor, i.e. its ghastly. Thanks to Pete for the can but for the rest of you, if this is your thing go with Colt 45.

In my opinion, this is the best cheap malt liquor out there. It's strong, better tasting and easier to drink than King Cobra or St. Ides and it certainly does the trick. There isn't much to say about it. It's not a beer that you pour into a nice glass or savor or anything like that, rather it's a classic swiller that gets you drunk and gives you giant "beer balls". I feel like I could knock out Tyson right now. Bring it on!

2.21/5  rDev +1.4%

Now I know I'm losing my marbles... I just poured some 8-Ball from a 40 oz. into a pint glass. This really should be swilled directly from the bottle, preferably while standing on the corner in tha hood and keepin' your hoez in check.

In the time it took me to write the first paragraph of this review, the half-inch head completely disappeared. The appearance? I dunno, it appears to be a nasty-ass ghetto brew.

Now let me get a whiff. Oh yeah. Wow, that smells bad. I guess the astringent aroma doesn't really get a chance to escape through the tiny little opening at the top of the 40. Do yourself a favor- keep it in the bottle. Please.

This tastes like something that'll get you fucked up. C'mon folks- if you're drinking OE for the taste, you should probably be on another website. Here's one: www.40ozmaltliquor.com.

After one 40 (or hell, after one pounder), the drinkability increases tenfold.

Be sure to keep a few extras in the fridge for the next morning to wash away the shame of waking up next to something unsavory (be it a pool of vomit or a scabies-infected skank).

Cheers!

1.25/5  rDev -42.7%

One of the worst Malt Liquors I've ever drank. It poured a medium golden color with a small fizzy head that faded as soon as it came. The smell was of a nasty sourness and grain. The taste was way too sweet and nasty. This is a cheepy that I will never be picking up again. The High Gravity version is much better in compairison.

3.72/5  rDev +70.6%

Preface: We are supposed to review within a given style. With that in mind...

About 2 years ago, I went through a phase where I drank 40s of malt liquor exclusively. During that period, I had many different kinds of 40. In fact www.40ozmaltliquor.com was my favorite page before I found this one. But I digress.

As far as 40s go, it doesn't get much better than this. This is the standard by which all others are judged. I can truely say that this doesn't actually taste "bad". It is very smooth with a solid malt backing. There is a slight bitterness, but it doesn't taste like it is caused by hops. Overall, there is just nothing like swilling down a 40 of OE and listening to some ATCQ.

1.83/5  rDev -16.1%

Served in a lovely 40 oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The color is straw golden, with a head that very quickly dissipated. The smell is an awful adjunct-laden sickly sweetness. The taste is an off malt and adjunct sweetness with a lot of adjunct taste, with an alcohol that definitely kicks in. Mouthfeel is average (for what it's worth). As for drinkability, I didn't really want this one, so why the hell would I want another?

Well, I only bought this in order to compare it to Dogfish Head's Liqueur de Malt, and since I was lucky enough to have a sample of that at Penn, I figured I'd see how it measures up. Well, DFH measures up pretty damn well. I only have the pint glass and it's already rather difficult to finish off...couldn't imagine finishing off an entire 40 (poured a sample for the bro, and gave the rest "to our dead homies"). I can say this has motivated me, since it will drive me to never want to be poor enough to have to drink this ever again!

2.74/5  rDev +25.7%

OK, I went into this expecting utter garbage. What I found was a surprisingly drinkable beer with an innofensive flavor and a decent punch. Lets be honest, this beer is meant to do one thing...get you f'd up. Mission accomplished. There is no hop flavor, but a slightly grainy malt flavor. There are the usual corn/rice/other crap flavors, but the fact is the beer does its job. If you are brown bagging it OE is the way to go.

2.23/5  rDev +2.3%

Decided to try this Old English 800 after some Colt 45 so I could compare the two malt liquors. THe O.E. tastes just a little bit worse than the Colt, but there isn't enough of a difference to really recommend one over the other. The appearance and smell are mediocre, but not as bad as some seem to think. THe O.E. is still very easy to drink, but nothing I'd go out of my way to have. Between this and Colt 45, I'd choose 45 by a hair.
5/10

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.