Olde English 800 | Miller Brewing Co.

awful
awful
Read the review
Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

Reviews: 309 | Ratings: 1,033
2.11/5  rDev -3.2%

From the classic 32 oz twist top bottle, no date. Vigorous pour into a pint glass yields a clear, pale golden color with decent carbonation, beneath a 1-finger whitish head that fades quickly leaving a solid cap and sticky lacing. Honestly, not bad looking. Things go quickly south, however: nose of bready adjunct and a slight chemical smell. Taste is perhaps a bit worse, dominated by a sweetish adjunct (corn?) flavor and more of an astringent/chemical aftertaste. Finishes on a lackluster, minorly bitter note. Mouth is wet, slightly fizzy, and relatively smooth. Drinkability is definitely on the low side; the astringent flavor detracts.

Overall: There are better cheap “malt liquors” out there. Avoid this one. (By way of comparison, I found Schiltz Malt Liquor Bull a lot more drinkable than OE 800.)

2.15/5  rDev -1.4%

What can you sayabout good old Ole E? Me adn a few buddies decided to down one for old times sake. Didn't pour it as how could you, this one has to be drank out of the brown bag for sure. Looks and smelled pretty much like urine. Not cool and I don't know how I drank soo much of this when I was younger. Ok so maybe the smell had the slightest moldy grain hint to it. The taste was ughh, Wow I really don't know how I used to pund this, I guess it was just the times. Overall I will never being going back to this one again. It was fun a long time ago, but now just painful. LOL, it was fun though and a good throwback.

2.63/5  rDev +20.6%

Punishment hour. This bottle says 8% ABV.

Pours a clear amber/golden, fluffy white head forms, disappears snap crackle and pop style, some lace spots. Smell is very sweet, corn, alcohol, caramel, citrus, bit of vanilla/floral, not too bad. Taste is very sweet, corny alcohol, iron in the finish, some bitterness, floral aftertaste, but very metallic. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, nice burn on the way down. Was expecting this to be worse, but its drinkable.

2.13/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours to a thin white head that goes away quickly. Color is yellow-gold with some floaties. Aroma is very weak and grainy. Flavor is sweet, corny and not very special. Drinks easy for 7%abv. Finishes sweet. I've had much worse malt liquors. Not terrible, but not very satisfying.

2.58/5  rDev +18.3%

I've never liked this one much and last week I bought a 16oz can to confirm that I still didn't think much of it and to give a truer review of this beer.

it looks ok in a glass, orange/amber little white head... I'm used to seeing this in a 40, so I am truly amazed.

it "stanks" the way I always remember this "stank".

it tastes the same too... kinda nasty, homes.

it goes down without causing any gag reaction.

I'm done with this stuff, B...

it's all yours!

1.74/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The final entry in the small contest known as the High-Low Invitational, where I try out a few unusual styles with a wide range of ABV. Bud Ice Light beat out Coors NA for who was fairer in the land, but now comes a malt liquor packing a 7.5 ABV punch standing in the former's way to which brew takes home the prize in this small contest. Inspired by The Game's track "Ol' English" (younger folks might know this), on to the beer:

I poured it out of its 16 ounce can into a pint glass just to see the look. Looks kind of like pale lager, but has a surprising head that holds well. The smell could be more polished; corn fructose, alcoholic, and a bit of husk. Now comes the punishment; there's a corn syrup aroma in the back of the taste, but is mainly dominated by a sharp stab of alcohol and metal. Very painful to consume. I can't imagine drinking this to get drunk. Stay away from flammable objects if you do, as you'll feel the alcoholic fumes go down your throat.

Now to reveal the winner: And the winner is...

Bud Ice Light!

A very exciting meet we had here, recognizing the beer styles untested to most. Hats off to Light Ice, Malt Liquor, and Non-Alcoholic for their participation. Check my previous reviews to see what you missed of this contest. Good night everyone!

1.53/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I bought this beer as sort of a Ha Ha nostalgia beer. My gods what have I done to myself? I was going to serve this beer in the proper glass ware. That would mean drinking the beer from the bottle wrapped in a paper bag. By force of habit I poured the beer into a pint glass. The beer was served very cold! Oh well its time to get the Nate Ball rolling!

Appearance: If this beer has any highmarks it would be appearance. The beer pours a very fizzy pale yellow coloration. (This looks like something I emptied out of a catheter this morning.) The head was a short lived foamy white coloration.

Smell: The beer has a vaguely corny mineral / metallic smell.

Taste: The beer has lots of corny maltyness. The maltyness is ruined by the mineral flavors.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a very thin / anorexic body. The carbonation is stinging at times. The beer should be consumed fast and not allowed to warm up. When the beer hits warmer temps it is simply undrinkable.

The beer is what it is. This beer is a 7.5% alcohol delivery system. At ninety nine cents a double duece this is acceptable. Man this was a bad idea and it will be awhile before I buy another beer from the good old days.

2.85/5  rDev +30.7%

"OE" is up there with CAMO, although I believe CAMO might be a little easier to handle. Olde English is my good luck before a show beer. Whenever my band gets to the venue I find the nearest ligour store and get one before we actually go on. Everything about this cheap malt liqour is fairly average.

It's really used just for a cheap way to get drunk, not too hard to drink, not too hard to finish.

P.S. check us out
myspace.com/passaicrock

2.22/5  rDev +1.8%

IMO, this is not worth pouring into a pint glass, but for appearance, I had to. Poured from a 24oz. can, into a pint glass. The beer poured a light straw color, forming a 1 inch fluffy head, that actually left thick lacing on the glass. The aroma is bad, but not skunky. Mostly smells like corn and grain. The taste isnt as bad as most think, but its not quality by any means. Corn and grain flavor. Maybe a little malt too. Thin mouthfeel, making this easy to chug like many do. As far as malt liquor goes, I have to say that this is my favorite. That said, I only drink one maybe once or twice a year. Worth a try.

2.01/5  rDev -7.8%

To commemorate my last week living in a seedy apartment, I thought I would celebrate with the official beer of this building, Olde English 800. Anyways..

This poured a urine yellow with fizzy soda like head that quickly dissipated. Smell is disgusting, alcohol and corn, almost headache-inducing. Flavor is corny, some banana-like notes, not horrible, but it goes down with a terrible alcohol burn, quite difficult to drink.

A stereotypical example of this style, not a good one. I could think of one named after a famous firearm that is a much better example of this style of brew.

1.21/5  rDev -44.5%

S - 24 oz can, didnt notice the freshness date. Car giveaway ad on back of can, or maybe thats the front of the can I dont know.

A - Looks like your average macro, yellow with many bubbles scurrying to the surface. Fizzy head that furiously leaves like a soda.

S - Like aluminum. Rotten smells come forth as well, maybe cheap malt. This is pretty unpleasant. Had me saying "What the hell is that smell?!?!?!"

T - Ughhh. Metallic and extremely carbonated. Hardly beer at all. Tasted like there was a hint of vodka, or maybe that was just the horrific burning from the huge carbonation factor. Little malt flavor.

M - Overly fizzy and leaves the mouth and palate in extreme haste.

D - Yikes. I literally almost vomited on my last gulp of this horrendous beer. Avoid at all costs, believe me you arent missing anything.

1.48/5  rDev -32.1%

Warning: use of this product may be hazardous to your health. Keep this product away from all friends, pets and loved ones. If ingested, induce vomiting immediately and contact Poison Control.

This beer poured a light yellow color into a pint glass with a large 2 finger head that faded quickly. Carbonation was very high at first and then became flat after a few minutes. Aroma was corny and fruity with a hint of that rotting vege smell. Not good. Taste was just as bad. Very watery and boring with hints of the infamous rotting vegetables, corn grits and just a slight taste of malt. No hop or bittering flavor present. I didn't even pick up an alcoholic note, which you expect from this style. Mouthfeel was thin and bland. Drinkability was low due to the relative lack of flavor or body. The 40 became a drain pour after only about 10 ounces were gone. I don't understand what all the hoopla is with this beer. No wonder all the gangbangers are killing themselves. Something that tastes this bad would make a killer out of Gandhi. Not recommended at all.

1.7/5  rDev -22%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My first beer ever, so some sort of nostalgia involved with this one. Especially how drunk I was after just 1 40oz. 7.50% ABV, not bad, quite suprised at that amount actually.

A - Golden yellow, plenty carbonated, fluffy head on pour, not very good retention.

S - Smell is grain/malt.

T - Taste is strong and almost overwhealming at first. Malt taste initially, with strong alcohol and a bitter mild hop finish. Rough at first, but easier after some time.

M - Decent, carbonation and mouthfeel.

D - Drinkability is middle of the road. For the high ABV, these go down easy enough after you aquire the flavor. The final drunk from drinking 40's back in the day was just right. Adequate but, not excessive. Recomendeed for anyone on a budget or just getting into the beer world. Otherwise, just keep away.

2.42/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pour: 40oz bottle to pint glass (just once... for the tasting) Comes into the glass with a yellowish, clear body and a few bubble trails. An impressive two finger head with excellent staying time.

Nose: It smells sour, alcoholic, and chalky - just a touch of hop presence in the nose but it doesn't cover the other offensive aromas.

Mouth: Has a watery entrance that hits sour along the back of the mouth and just a hint of hops. Some sweet peach notes appear along the tongue after swallowing.

3.43/5  rDev +57.3%

Pours the typical malt liquor way. Slightly dark golden with a thing ring of bubbles. Typical corny/grainy smell and a hint of burnt veggies. Sweet tasting and not overly grainy. Lot of corn in the flavor, but this one is really smooth. Mouthfeel is surpisingly not sticky, considering the abv, yet it still holds firm in the mouth like a higher gravity malt liquor. Highly drinkable and a nice change from Steel Reserve. I think I've found my new favorite malt liquor.

1.65/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Olde English 800 drank straight from a clear thirty two ounce bottle. Color is orange. The smell is fairly nasty. Tastes like adjunct run amuck. This is fairly bad, not the worst malt liquor I've had, but not good either. For malt liquor connisouers and rappers only. Avoid unless you can only scrape up enough money for this.

1.74/5  rDev -20.2%

Yeah baby. The first malt liquor I ever tasted. Light yellow. Non-offensive, well hidden alcohol aroma with hints of corn and pear. Yes, its full of corn and it’s fairly grainy, but there isn’t really anything in this that makes it intolerable. No off flavors whatsoever. I’ll be honest, I finished all forty ounces and I’m proud of it. This was much better than the Keystone Light that I had later in the evening.

1.24/5  rDev -43.1%

Appearance: Actually, not that bad. Bright golden sunflower color with a creamy white head. Poor retention, wispy lacing.

Smell: Ugh. Cooked peas, corn, and broccoli (DMS?), and that's about it. What a disquieting aroma.

Taste: Sweet corn, honey, and bile. This is truly offensive. I just wish I could enter something less than 1 for this field.

Mouthfeel: Not bad, I suppose. Not too fizzy and fairly clean.

Drinkability: Thank god I only paid a buck fifty for this. I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it.

2.78/5  rDev +27.5%

As a malt liquor, this beer has a corn stink; across all beers, this could be undesirable, but is the best smelling malt liquor I know of.
Unfortunately, if the beer isn't cold enough it can be hard to swallow, but ice cold? This beer is definitely drinkable.

The mouthfeel of OE 800 is good and thick; I could never imagine drinking this beer out of anything other than a big 40oz bottle--if it were even in a cup, I probably wouldn't be able to stand the stench.

Still, high alcohol content and low price makes it an excellent party beer.

2.21/5  rDev +1.4%

I used to drink this wretched stuff in high school, it was only 3.90 a bottle now its 5.50, ahh the old days (well 7 years ago).

I poured the first half into a pint glass, wow Im a real beer geek. Its gold with orangey red flashes. It produces a big bubbly head that recedes to nothing in an instant. Thin lace patches coat the glass. The aroma is sweet malt, corn and other veggies, and strong alcohol. The taste is very sweet and boozey with a nasty cooked veggie flavor. The alcohol heat is very prominent and becomes unbearable as the beer warms. the mouthfeel is medium with an alcohol numbing sensation. The finish is sweet and overly alcoholic.

This doesnt even pretend to be a good beer, it is what it is and I dont like it. Its ironic that the only beer style with the word malt in the name has the smallest percentage of malt in it.

3.43/5  rDev +57.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Olde English is royalty amongst malt liquor 40s. Its light-amber coloration, hi-test corn-blessed constitution, and overall appeal are second to none in the malt liquor game. Enough "slummin' w. da homiez" bullshit; either drink this, or don't. No need to mock the poor in your poor attempt to cop a buzz. Olde English.. it might not boast the 'imported taste' of Private Stock, but it does have 33 crowns on the label. I counted.

2.7/5  rDev +23.9%

Pours yellow with perfect clarity. Fizzy white two and a half finger head that shows poor retention and no lacing whatsoever. The aroma is of ceral grain and apple ester, but nothing fowl. A faint grain taste is knocked aside by a huge hard cider flavor and alcoholic bite. Slightly dry aftertaste, with fusels and cider reteating comfortably. The flavor is too estery sweet even for the style and is grossly unbalanced; however- the flavor fades quickly and a medium body with medium carbonation creates a drinkability that is the strong pont of this beer. The finish is mostly clean and allows the consumer to get drunk fast for cheap, which is really the aim of this beer.

2.23/5  rDev +2.3%

Ahh the "dirty 4-0", a party classic around these parts.

Pours the standard pee yellow with a one finger bubbly white head that disipates quickly. Looks to be extremely carbonated.

Can't really detect anything in the smell, I guess grainy would be best to describe.

Tastes grainy like the smell but also bitter. Only thing good about it is that the 8%abv hides itself well. Becomes a whole lot worse as it warms

As it looks, it feels very carbonated. Definatly needs to be sipped, no big gulps.

Not impressed, but didn't expect to be. It is what it is. Maybe I'll consider this if I become homeless, but until then, I'll leave it on the store shelf where it belongs.

As a teen I drank this a few times when I had little money to spend and wanted something to "blitz" on. I can not do an unbiased review here or attempt to review it as I would do my other beers, and with that being said here goes...This is by far the worst swill you could ever think to try and consume. It smells as bad as it tastes. Avoid at all costs unless you are the verry Adventurous . Homie don't play that!!!

2.88/5  rDev +32.1%

My buddy was in a rush to get something simple from the local packy before it closed so I toldem to pick up a few good ol OE's. Decided to keep it real and drink this one straight from the 40 bottle with it still in the bag. Appearance....what can I say? Looks a lot like pee pee. Smell was of corn and other weak tasting grains that didn't do much at all for the beer. Taste had malt running amuck throughout and the alcohol was very up front. Mouthfeel was medium bodied due to excessive malt and alcohol presence. Drinkability wasn't bad until I got to the end, in which case I dumped the bottoms, which were just too harsh to quaf. Final Verdict: This isnt a good beer if yor are looking for quality...it may be okay in the world of cheap malt liquors serving only one purpose: to get you drunk quick, but it isn't anything to seek out. On the bright side, they're really cheap and if you want to get wasted without burning a whole in your wallet, just grab a couple of these. I advise playing Edward 40 Hands with this beer. Cheers

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.