Olde English 800 | Miller Brewing Co.

awful
awful
Read the review
Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

Reviews: 307 | Ratings: 1,028
2.74/5  rDev +25.7%

OK, I went into this expecting utter garbage. What I found was a surprisingly drinkable beer with an innofensive flavor and a decent punch. Lets be honest, this beer is meant to do one thing...get you f'd up. Mission accomplished. There is no hop flavor, but a slightly grainy malt flavor. There are the usual corn/rice/other crap flavors, but the fact is the beer does its job. If you are brown bagging it OE is the way to go.

2.23/5  rDev +2.3%

Decided to try this Old English 800 after some Colt 45 so I could compare the two malt liquors. THe O.E. tastes just a little bit worse than the Colt, but there isn't enough of a difference to really recommend one over the other. The appearance and smell are mediocre, but not as bad as some seem to think. THe O.E. is still very easy to drink, but nothing I'd go out of my way to have. Between this and Colt 45, I'd choose 45 by a hair.
5/10

2.4/5  rDev +10.1%

Color, deep yellow, like morning pee, but very visible carbonation.

smell - like cheap champagne, but with the faintest whiff of hops/bitterness.

taste - not terriby offensive, dirty bitter peach tone.

aftertaste - since it's sweet, we are left with a candied beer flavor

mouthfeel - easily forgettable body.

drinkability, it isn't offensive, so i could drink a good bit of it; but do i want to.

1.84/5  rDev -15.6%

Halfway through an Olde "E" 40, I am trying to put my finger on just what it is that makes Olde English 800 the finest 40 oz. malt liquor beverage on the market today. the king so to speak. I think the characteristics of old "e" that define it's supremacy are it's appearance, it's swillability, it's style, and it's price.

Olde English is some cheap booze. staight up. as a poor college student who loves to drink, old e is in my price range. tonight, my olde e clocked in at under 300 cents. but so many other 40 oz. brews out there, if not all of them, fall into the price range of olde e...so it must be old e's swillability that seperates it from the rest of the pack, right?

olde e's superior swillability is defined by the burst of corn and plantains that hit your tongue the instant the swill that is olde e enters your mouth. it's the kind of taste that sticks to the roof of your mouth. it is an unpleasant taste, like all other 40's, but it is tolerable and unintrusive. despite the fact that olde e is some strong shit, it's easy to put this stuff down. olde e's unique grainy, corn taste that goes down without a fight is just half of the reason why this 40 is the king of all 40s....olde e is staight pimp juice. big time style points must be awarded here

nobody in there right mind buys a 40 because of taste, the taste between 40's is not all that drastic. with this in mind, let us all admit that style plays a role when picking out a 40. the first thing that must be said about the styling of the old e 40 is the fact that it tells you 3 frickin times that it's a 40 ounce beverage. 3 times....thats right. it's gold and maroon color scheme lets people know your not only a cheap drunk, but a cheap drunk with an excellent sense of taste.

so as i finish this corn-ridden 8-ball, i propose a toast to the finest 40 ounce beverage on the market. it's the attitude adjuster. long live olde E

1.38/5  rDev -36.7%

I've just had a couple of lambic brews in a row, and it occurred to me what a fool I am, for I haven't seen anyone wearing any trucker hats with the Lindemans logo on it, or seen any cool hipster struttin' down the avenue in a Hanssen's hoodie...though, I have seen both of those done with OE 800 gear! I'll never be fly being a Belgian beer guy, I can only get fresh if I'm down with the malt likka crew, right? ...right?
Well, let's see if I can do it. Got the 40, but it's not in a bag, so I lose points, and I'm going to pour it into a glass, so now I'm really screwed...Anyway...crackle goes the crown, color's the pale yellow that matches faded urine, I know it's cliched to say, but it's also true as it gets, with a big, puffy bone-white head that collapses assuredly down...nice while it lasts, though.
Aroma: soft and spare, cushy, grainy, slightly citric and strawish, nothing horrible, but nothing, nonetheless.
Taste: water. Grain-inflected water, slightly sweet, but, barely anything, with a cereal grit in the mouthfeel, if it can claim any at all. There are traces of malt in the taste, minor at best, and nothing else, this is a shadow of a beer, a whisper, a phantom, but one that has a trick up it's sleeve, like all the best of this variety. Oh, yeah, no bothersome flavor, but extra-boozy, that's why they drink this ...and only a few tastes in, I can feel the hurt and the headache beginning to gather forces on my mind, and I wonder whether this exercise in masochistic research is worth it at all (the bottle was a gift, as a joke, and the punchline arrived as soon as I announced I was drinking it), and I'm sure it's not...Time to send this swill down the drain and save my brain. There's a nice doppelbock calling my name, once I wash the taste of this garbage from my mouth.

2.63/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear light gold color.

Smell is a bananas and corn smell, with an alcohol scent.

Taste is sweet with lots of corn in the taste, not real good, but not real bad either. The can is superior to the clear glass bottle version. Has an alcohol flavor.

Mouthfeel is actually thickish.

Drinkability? This stuff was the lowest of the low back when I was in College. It isn't great but even swill like this beats the regular macro stuff.

Appearance – This one poured a nice, slightly hazy yellow with some decent head retention. Not bad.

Smell – The aroma isn’t bad. The grain is not as harsh as in most other macro efforts, and there’s actually a bit of hops in there somewhere.

Taste – Oh, this is bad. Much worse than it smelled. The little bit of smoothness from the nose is completely gone, and the cheap sweetness is repulsive.

Mouthfeel – A little bigger than light-bodied but fairly flat and not dry at all.

Sinkability – No wonder folks are shootin’ up the hood. I’d be getting’ my gat too if I had to walk around with a 40 of this in my hand all day.

Comments – The ABV has when up almost one and a half points from when this ale was added to the site (it’s now at 7.5%). I guess the quicker you go numb the easier this is to drink.

1.54/5  rDev -29.4%

Ok it had been years since I had this. It was what i drank when I first came to America and lived in a crappy part of metro-Atlanta called Hapeville..in a roach infested condo. Me and the wife had no money so the $5 i was allowed to spend on beer went on "40s" of this.
This time bought in the 24 oz can.
Poured into my pint glass ( weird eh?Malt liquor in a glass)..its actually not bad looking for a Malt Liquor..nice goldens with a large pure white head..leaves some lacing.
Things go drastically downhill with the "aroma"..stench more like it!,,horrible chemical like..the malts seem sick.
The taste ,even as chilled as I have this is mostly faintlly malty then horrible astringent at the end..I can only imagine this will get even more revolting as it warms.
KInd a rough mouthfeel.
Man Im happy I dont have to live in a roach condominium and drink this any more..at least though its better than Camo.

1.75/5  rDev -19.7%

I drank it straight from the 40 oz. bullet bottle. Dark yellow color, that has a sizable white head, evn in the bottle. Taste is very sweet and full of adjunct flavor. Some presence of alcohol, but not that much. With most beer in this price and ABV range, this stuff is meant to give you a cheap buzz. It does that, but it doesn't taste good.

1.65/5  rDev -24.3%

Drinking OE isn't the best experience in the world. A very skunky smelling and tasting beer. The only plus side to this is that you will get drunker quicker, but lets face it is that all that fun? Anyway when I was in high school I drank these constantly so recently I went back for a test taste. OE comes in a 40 oz bottle with a red and gold label. Beer is piss type yellow with no head. You do not want this beer in your mouth for long. The quicker it is in your throat the better. The only time to drink this is if you only have 2 bucks and you have a party to go to.

2.51/5  rDev +15.1%

I bought this the only way this should be bought; in a 40 ounce. I went back to kick it in the crib and that's where I think I made my first mistake. I poured it into a glass (and half on the floor for my homies). It poured a straw yellow color With a foamy head that had little lasting power. About a minute or so. It had a stench of gross to it. A little bit of a grainy corn smell and a bit of a skunky smell. It was hard to tell which was stronger. The taste was semi bitter with the grainy thing going on again. The skunk was still there too, though not as strong. Even though it's clear that this isn't my favorite beer, I would drink it again. For my biatches.

2.36/5  rDev +8.3%

Olde English 800: the malt liquor of many names (the 8-Ball, Ol' E, Ghetto Juice, etc). I've had some pretty nasty malt liquors before, and surprisingly this particular one isn't decisively nasty in my opinion. OE800 has those cheap malt liquor qualities about it, but in the end I actually was able to down the stuff without going into convulsions.

OE pours a moderate golden color with a decent foamy white head that lasts for about 35 seconds. The smell is the typical cheap smell: slightly sweet, with some light corn/graininess and a light soapiness. The mouthfeel was thin and fizzy. This particular malt liquor was on the sweeter side, probably due to the corn adjuncts which are detectable. Not a truly horrible flavor, as the fusel/jet fuel flavors prevalent in so many malt liquors is in low amounts here. There is a cheap soapy flavor here with some generic alcohol flavors too. Finish has some bitterness, although I doubt hops could be attributed to it. There is a graininess in the finish, and the continuing alcohol flavors add a moderate dryness as well. There is a moderate alcoholic warmth present in this malt liquor.

This isn't truly atrocious (I thought Silver Thunder and Country Club neared those limits). OE800 seems to be a popular "ghetto mixer" as well. For example, while the "Brass Monkey" is the most popular variant (OE and orange juice), a co-worker of mine has mentioned the combination of OE and sloe gin. Anyways, this is a cheap beer that only exists only for those who want to get plastered. What you do with it after you buy it is your choice, but I won't be choosing to make this a regular habit anytime soon, even if it is somewhat drinkable.

1.81/5  rDev -17%

Pours a transparent yellow, apple-juicy color with a vigorous white head that fades quickly (yes, I am actually pouring this into a glass...). Little to no carbonation. Smell is... whew. Big alcohol sting and little else except vague sensation of acidic chemicals, and maybe notes of adjuncty sweetness that's saccharine and foul, like those awful, artificial sugar substitutes (Nutrasweet, Sweet-N-Low). Less alcohol noticeable in the taste, taking a back seat to more artificial sweetness; slightly tart in the back palate but finishing with a twang of plastic (so help me god, plastic). Mouthfeel isn't that bad for a 40. Since this is easy to drink fast when cold, I originally gave drinkability a 2.5... half an hour later, when my gut felt like it had turned into a ball of rock, I changed my mind. This brew has its moments and out of college-day nostalgia (sittin on the curb and swillin out of a paper bag), I tried cutting it some slack on the scores, but still... O.E. be some nasty isht.

2.3/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Did not care for taste worth the buzz.But I drink beer for thirst and flavor and most important quality.This beer tasted in between a coors light and a tecate. Would not buy again.Ill stick with guinesses and redneck side of my blood which means coors or keystone light.STAY AWAY FROM THIS BEER.EBONICS DONTS MISSA ROUND WITH THIS SHIT

1.76/5  rDev -19.3%

English my @ss, I see that "made in Milwaukee" on the side....

Ahh yes, Olde English. The pack of this I just bought shattered all previous records for cheap beer, coming in at 1.32, for four pints of this stuff. And really, that's about what it's worth.

Slightly less nauseating than many other malt liquors out there, but at heart it still remains and cheap, lousy tasting way to get drunk. The side says "Union made," which I suppose is supposed to appeal to my unionist sympathies, but instead just reminds me that beer shouldn't be mass produced in quantities which would require union production.

Really, if I wanted to drink something that tasted like liquid corn, I'd...wait...why would I ever want to drink liquid corn? Feel free to avoid this one.

1.63/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

One dollar and ten cents for the 22 oz. bottle.

Saw no need to pour this one into a glass -- after all, most of those who drink this libation do so from the bottle, and so will I. Shows very bright yellow through the bottle though.

Smell is strong ethyl alcohol, creamed corn, and corn syrup.

Taste, is much the same. Alcohol hides well though (I suppose), but only because the taste is nauseatingly sweet and sugary, and a bit oily. This, of course, is because the primary fermented material is corn syrup, and not malt.

I don't think a hop ever got within 500 feet of the brew tank.

Carbonation is high, but it becomes this beer's only saving grace, as it keeps the sweetness from being completely overpowering.

Drink this as cold as you can. It gets nasty the warmer it gets. I must say though, after I drank this, my stomach was mad at me for quite a bit.

1.94/5  rDev -11%

Drinkable....at least to me....pours a golden color with a white head that laces the glas impressively....nose is weak and corny....body is medium and nicely carbonated...it almost has to be to keep this from becoming oversweet...flavor is your basic cooked corn and some vodka like alcohol on the finish...not great stuff but I could drink it if I was hanging in the hood or something with my boyz..

Overall, I don't think I would purchase this one when looking for a malt liquor but my "flashback" tour of the malt liqours of my younger days is barely getting started...I give colt 45 a slight edge on this one...very slight though..

1.28/5  rDev -41.3%

This was on sale at the LCBO for $3.50. Since I'm also buddies with most of the people their, they sold it to me for a toonie, rather surprised I was buying low quality beer. I told them I hadn't tried it, and they accepted that as a good answer. Since this is malt liquor, I drank straight from the bottle. Can't comment much on appearance except for what I could see through the glass. Little browner than a Colt 45. When swished, some foam would appear that would soon quickly disappear. Smelled alot of corn, cheap malt and something acidic. Tasted very grainy and sweet. Hey, is this candy? It is that cloyingly sweet. Shitty mouthfeel. Too much cheap malt texture with a corn field. Drinkable for drunks and whores. Undrinkable for me.

1.88/5  rDev -13.8%

My in-laws had a 40 of this stuff in the fridge that they bought for cooking. Not having tried it in decades, I couldn't resist and poured a glass. It looks like a basic glass of beer. After that, things go downhill. The smell is grainy, corny, and a bit acidic with no real redeeming qualities. The taste is more of the same. One glass did a number on the stomach. This wasn't a pleasant experience.

1.03/5  rDev -52.8%

All 40 ounces preserved in it's classic presentation, Olde E is a legendary beer. Yeah, right this beer is ghetto swill in all it's glory. Made famous by Run DMC in eighties, this beer pours a golden similar to apple juice hue. Pours with a thick foamy head that cloys around the rim of my mug, with a decent head retention. Aroma is straight up unpleasant, all cereal grains with an astringent slightly cooked vegetable scent. From the smell you would think this stuff could take of some layers of paint from the wall. Taste is highly carbonated watery yet acoholic harsh bitter nasty ass taste. Not a slow sipper chug this and bypass the palate, this beer is for getting folded. I really can't tolerate this one but it's a favorite of my friends. So, in closing there is no question this is one shitty beer. Watch out for the hangovers this beer is known to cause, in my opinion steer clear.

2.07/5  rDev -5%

Ultra-carbonated, like soda, goldish hue, translucent, slim white head that collapsed rather fast, no lace… no trace of any existence. Grainy, husky, sweet, corny, foul nose… it is quite a deterrent. I still took a sip, sweet palate… rather odd, soothing but grainy, no hops influence. Clean, bland with only some alcohol present at the finish. The carbonation adds something to the mouthfeel, thin, indifferent. I’ve had worst malt liquors; still it is nothing I could in good conscience recommend… skip it.

22 oz. clear bottle. Purchased for $1.09.

3.1/5  rDev +42.2%

okay, where to start...
i gave this malt liquor a relatively higher score because i felt that it actually is one of the half-way decent representatives of the style -- not because i would prefer over a Duvel.

The beer has a nearly fluorescent golden straw color. It's almost blindingly golden. It's incredibly clear. There is a slight creamy head, but it dissipates really quickly.
The smell is GRAINY. That and a bit metallic.
There isn't much taste beyond the graininess, which hits hard and doesn't let up. No smoothness at all, but oh well. The alcohol presence is subdued, as is any maltiness or hopiness.
The mouthfeel is thin, incredibly thin, but that is par for the course with this style.
The drinkability is kinda high for the beer style. This brew is a lot less metallic and chemical tasting than the others. I just thought it beats out all it competitors in the macro-malt liquor class.

2.73/5  rDev +25.2%

If sublime can sing about it, it's gotta be good! At any rate, it's a good malt liquor. Has a nice light taste to it. It has a very pale yellow color to it with a white "head". Goes down easy, but can get rough a little. When I'm lookin; to save some money and drink a little, this is what I usually grab for. Sometimes though, 40oz can be a little too much. Definately a good buy if you are in college.

2.16/5  rDev -0.9%

"40 ounces to Freedom"... Pours a crystal clear golden body topped by a frothy bright white head that holds surprisingly well and drops to a creamy surface covering. It also leaves some lace in the glass which is quite unusual considering the high alcohol - although I doubt that's rarely noticed inside the 40 oz bottle! The aroma is also surprisingly bold, but with a distinct cereal-cooker aroma and a firm touch of alcohol. There is some grainy maltiness underneath, but it's overshadowed. Powerful, but not really inviting. The body is thin/medium but the high level of fine carbonation helps it to become creamy immediately, thus giving the impression of a fuller mouthfeel. The residual alcohol that's left after the swallow adds to that impression. The flavor mimics the aroma with a harsh, semi-grainy maltiness rather than the more straightforward sweet malt flavor usually found in malt liquors. The alcohol also lends to an astringent character. Hop bitterness is subdued, as is normally the case with malt liquors, except that it's more noteable here. However, it's quite dull and doesn't add anything to the character. From start to finish this beer lacks finesse. Sure it's bold, but it's also extremely blunt. Maybe that's why people like it... in a way I can see how this could be less cloying as it doesn't offer the bright, super sweet maltiness of many malt liquors - but at the same time it's fairly harsh and the trade-off doesn't seem worth it. Disappointing. This beer deserves to be wrapped in a paper bag. There are much better malt liquors on the market. Take a step up to the Coqui 900!

2.13/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a clear golden hue with a medium white soapy head with large bubbles. The smell is very, very faint...with no discernable aromas. First taste reveals a carb bite and a semi-sweet very faint corn taste with nothing else. This is like a near tasteless/odorless semi-high alcohol in a can. The mouthfeel is very watery and I rate the drinkability high as their is nothing offensive to slow you down! Very little to say about this beer. Cheers!

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.